• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VinnyZag
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Poll: Who starts next season?

There has been a lot of discussion (argument) about who starts next year.

I'm assuming we can all agree that all three returning starters (Perkins, Norvell and Tillie) retain their spots. And I'd like to think that we can agree Hachimura will start, we just don't know at which forward spot.

So it's just a question of who claims the fifth position.

Other covers people who disagree on the other four spots or who think somebody not listed will seize the opportunity. Please explain if you pick other.
    Clarke
    67.12%
    Kispert
    12.33%
    Larsen
    1.37%
    B. Williams
    17.81%
    Other
    1.37%

The poll is expired.

• katman50
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Although I voted for Clarke, I think it's conceivable that Corey may be the 5th starter. Few wants to give Kispert the opportunity to come out of the gate and show all what Corey is capable of.

Comment

• cggonzaga
      Zag for Life
      • Mar 2007

Williams if he comes otherwise Kispert/grad transfer. Starting Clarke, Rui and Tillie makes us less balanced imo.

Comment

• MDABE80
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

I doubt Tillie ( if he recovers) and Rui can hold down the boards. J3 leaving creates a big hole. Clarke will help that.
        If other kids join us ( Williams and Cremo) things change somewhat. Unless that happens, I think Clarke adds a versatile scorer and rebounder.
        Few shifts the lineup often though and that depends who we face.

Comment

• 3zagda
          Kennel Club Alum
          • Nov 2009

I think the question posed in the poll depends mostly on Rui's position. Is he playing the 3 or 4 spot? To me Rui is a NBA 3. But I see few looks at Rui and sees a 4. and sees Brandon a 4 as well.
          For this reason I think the other starter will be Corey.

Comment

• Hoopaholic
            • Mar 2008

Originally posted by 3zagda View Post
            I think the question posed in the poll depends mostly on Rui's position. Is he playing the 3 or 4 spot? To me Rui is a NBA 3. But I see few looks at Rui and sees a 4. and sees Brandon a 4 as well.
            For this reason I think the other starter will be Corey.
            I disagree as it pertains to Few view of rui

Latter half of year rui saw substantial time in the three role

For me the amount of time at the 3 for rui will be dependent on development and abilities of Clark, Larsen and petrsev and how reliable they are in the 5 spots allowing tille to play stretch 4 and rui at the three
            The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• Alum08
              Professional Zag Fan
              • Feb 2014

Unless Corey drastically improves his defense in the off-season, I have a hard time seeing him starting. And honestly I like his energy and slashing ability as a 6th man.

Comment

• cggonzaga
                Zag for Life
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Hoopaholic View Post
                I disagree as it pertains to Few view of rui

Latter half of year rui saw substantial time in the three role

For me the amount of time at the 3 for rui will be dependent on development and abilities of Clark, Larsen and petrsev and how reliable they are in the 5 spots allowing tille to play stretch 4 and rui at the three
                While I generally agree with you hoop, I don’t believe Rui played substantial minutes at the 3. Did he play some 3, yes. It seemed to me it was only when Norvell got in foul trouble. I certainly wouldn’t be surprised if Rui plays the 3 next year but he’s so good as a stretch 4 I can’t see that not being his primary position next year.

Comment

• Alum08
                  Professional Zag Fan
                  • Feb 2014

Originally posted by cggonzaga View Post
                  While I generally agree with you hoop, I don’t believe Rui played substantial minutes at the 3. Did he play some 3, yes. It seemed to me it was only when Norvell got in foul trouble. I certainly wouldn’t be surprised if Rui plays the 3 next year but he’s so good as a stretch 4 I can’t see that not being his primary position next year.
                  A stretch 4 that doesn't shoot 3s? Maybe I'm misunderstanding your definition here.

Comment

• cggonzaga
                    Zag for Life
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Alum08 View Post
                    A stretch 4 that doesn't shoot 3s? Maybe I'm misunderstanding your definition here.
                    I don’t believe the definition of a stretch 4 is just a big man that can make 3s. A stretch 4 can also create from the perimeter, knock down the mid range jumper, back a man down into the post. Imo the stretch 4 opens the floor up and makes his man guard him from everywhere on the floor. I’ll also suggest Rui shoots over 30% from 3 next year.

Comment

• GoZags
                      Super Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

I'll wait to see the final '18/'19 roster before I vote.

The possibility of procuring an elite grad transfer or an elite recruit still exists.
                      sigpic
                      “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
                      ——-
                      List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
                      Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Alum08 View Post
                        Unless Corey drastically improves his defense in the off-season, I have a hard time seeing him starting. And honestly I like his energy and slashing ability as a 6th man.
                        Agree 100%. CK could find himself odd man out if the number of players keep growing, Needs a major frosh-soph jump on defense, LD shooting, driving, etc. His best days are probably as a senior and maybe junior. Even a redshirt is possible if the roster fills out more.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by GoZags View Post
                          I'll wait to see the final '18/'19 roster before I vote.

The possibility of procuring an elite grad transfer or an elite recruit still exists.
                          You mean beyond B. Williams and Cremo?

Comment

• OntZags
                            Professional Zag Fan
                            • Jan 2017

If we land Williams or Cremo, I suspect they'll start at the 1/2 alongside Perkins. (JP the 1 with Cremo or BW the 1 with JP)

Which would leave either Tillie/Clarke/Rui as the 5/4/3 starters and Norvell as the 6th man or Tillie/Clarke or Rui/Norvell as the 5/4/3 starters.

Honestly don't think it matters much as all 6 guys will see comparable playing time.

Then I would suspect a drop off in pt with Kispert leading the next group including Ayayi, Larsen & Petrusev.

We look spoiled with our depth going into next season lol. Super well rounded at all positions and tons of experience. Minutes will be a bit tight but we've got such a great group of character guys that I don't see any issues arising. Winning gets you the most exposure and this team is capable of taking it all.

Can we fast forward to November already?

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Few's beloved tight 7-8 man rotation will be challenged.

Comment

Working...
                              X