PDA

View Full Version : grad transfer rule and redshirting freshmen

MileHigh
04-11-2018, 04:00 AM
A end up chopping it up with a lot of college coaches in my travels, and what I have been hearing from a lot of them is that they are not going to redshirt freshmen anymore unless they have to (injury). The reason is that due to the grad transfer rule, they don't know if the RS juniors are going to come back or transfer until April or May, so it makes it very difficult for them to recruit. If they assume the kid is going to transfer, and they sign a player to fill that scholarship and the kid doesn't transfer then they are screwed. Similarly if they dont sign a player to fill the spot (assuming kid wont transfer) and kid transfers then they are scrambling to find a recruit at the 11th hour.

With the other transfers (non grads) they could usually predict who was likely to leave because it was always about playing time. Kids that were playing a lot would rarely transfer because they would have to sit out, but this grad transfer rule has made it where kids are as likely to leave as they are to stay, even when they are starters.

WallaWallaZag
04-11-2018, 01:52 PM
A end up chopping it up with a lot of college coaches in my travels, and what I have been hearing from a lot of them is that they are not going to redshirt freshmen anymore unless they have to (injury). The reason is that due to the grad transfer rule, they don't know if the RS juniors are going to come back or transfer until April or May, so it makes it very difficult for them to recruit. If they assume the kid is going to transfer, and they sign a player to fill that scholarship and the kid doesn't transfer then they are screwed. Similarly if they dont sign a player to fill the spot (assuming kid wont transfer) and kid transfers then they are scrambling to find a recruit at the 11th hour.

With the other transfers (non grads) they could usually predict who was likely to leave because it was always about playing time. Kids that were playing a lot would rarely transfer because they would have to sit out, but this grad transfer rule has made it where kids are as likely to leave as they are to stay, even when they are starters.

interesting take and definitely makes sense for many low and mid-majors who might lose their top players...not really a situation any of the better programs or p5 schools need to worry about.

however, i have noticed that many of the top players of smaller schools who take the grad transfer route are often guys who have already made a previous transfer (see zach lofton / egor koulechov from past season) so there's nothing you can do...those are the ones that really annoy coaching staffs because they spent a redshirt year developing a guy only to get a year or two if lucky out of them before they bolt.