PDA

View Full Version : OT: Santa Clara makes a big investment in athletics

former1dog
04-10-2018, 03:32 PM
http://thesantaclara.org/breaking-ground-breaking-trust/#.Ws1JAq9MGEd

$40 million Athletic Excellence Building. Odd take from the author but the news is just the same.

kitzbuel
04-10-2018, 05:25 PM
Bit of a hatchet job, eh?

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

sittingon50
04-10-2018, 06:59 PM
Bit of a hatchet job, eh?

How so?

If even some of the recruited athlete's aren't clear as to what's going on I think the powers that be have done a poor job.

PCZ_Frites
04-10-2018, 09:04 PM
How so?

If even some of the recruited athlete's aren't clear as to what's going on I think the powers that be have done a poor job.

From the article:

“When I was being recruited for baseball, [the Athletic Department] showed us this super detailed video and talked a lot about a new facility they were planning on building,” sophomore baseball player Michael Praszker said. “It was a big topic while recruiting and they seemed to have a pretty firm grasp of what they had planned.”

The only people, based on the article, who don't seem to know about it are the regular student-body population and faculty, which is irrelevant to student-athlete recruiting. The recruits were given 'super detailed video' about it at least 2-3 years ago. Seems the powers that be did fine, so long as they get whatever final funding they need.

MDABE80
04-10-2018, 09:27 PM
It'll improve the league. Ins and outs may not matter all that much. The article is a puzzling one.

kitzbuel
04-11-2018, 02:55 AM
How so?

If even some of the recruited athlete's aren't clear as to what's going on I think the powers that be have done a poor job.It is not even fully funded according to the article itself. The department is trying to lock in donors to complete it.

GU has always announced it's major capital improvements after the funding is locked in, always thanking the donors as part of the announcement. So the fact that the plan is not widely communicated at this point is not out of the norm in my opinion.

I think it would be different if they were tapping into general fund, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

thebigsmoove
04-11-2018, 05:01 AM
Ive found that faculty is usually pretty jealous of athletic improvements and facilities. Intellectuals dont generally like the idea of sports being given more than academia. Of course this is my opinion regarding what ive heard at several universities and colleges.

bartruff1
04-11-2018, 05:55 AM
When I was at Gonzaga, the athletes ate in the Cog and lived in the dorms with the other students. All the students lived on campus for their first two years....... except day students and married students.

TexasZagFan
04-11-2018, 07:07 AM
When I was at Gonzaga, the athletes ate in the Cog and lived in the dorms with the other students. All the students lived on campus for their first two years....... except day students and married students.

Yup, DeSmet and Robinson were the two main dorms for the athletes.

Grand Valley Zag
04-11-2018, 09:07 AM

Same, in the early-mid oughts. I always thought it was cool that the team was so integrated with the rest of campus and the student body. Does the basketball team have a separate dining hall now?

kitzbuel
04-12-2018, 01:01 PM
Same, in the early-mid oughts. I always thought it was cool that the team was so integrated with the rest of campus and the student body. Does the basketball team have a separate dining hall now?

Athletes didn't really eat with the student body much when I was there. The COG ran special extended hours for athletes and others who couldn't make regular hours. I ate there a lot while on the X-country team.

One thing I can say is that when I was there, the COG food was not exactly optimized for high performing athletes. The Capn Crunch cereal bins would be emptied every dinner.

I personally loved Sunday french toast because I knew we were getting Monte Cristo sandwiches for lunch the next day! I would stock up on those.