Zagdawg
04-10-2018, 03:20 PM
We may see Auburn in Maui.

Jeff Borzello

Verified account

@jeffborzello
Follow Follow @jeffborzello
More Jeff Borzello Retweeted Debo13
Auburn forward Desean Murray announces he's graduating in a few months -- and will either transfer elsewhere for his final season or pursue a pro career.
#4 scorer on the team #1 rebounder
10.1 pts 6.7 boards and 1.7 assists

OntZags
04-10-2018, 03:28 PM
Feels odd he would transfer. Unless I'm missing something I don't see him being recruited over for next season.

I get it if he wants to start his pro career wherever but it's not often you see guys transferring from consensus top-25 teams.

Coach Crazy
04-10-2018, 04:45 PM
We may see Auburn in Maui.

Jeff Borzello

Verified account

@jeffborzello
More Jeff Borzello Retweeted Debo13
Auburn forward Desean Murray announces he's graduating in a few months -- and will either transfer elsewhere for his final season or pursue a pro career.
#4 scorer on the team #1 rebounder
10.1 pts 6.7 boards and 1.7 assists

Put in the call if he chooses to transfer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sittingon50
04-11-2018, 09:44 PM
Pacific has some new competition in Stockton:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/pacifictigerssports/another-sobering-fact-in-today-s-sacramento-bee-t6945.html

GoZags
04-12-2018, 03:39 AM
Since the Zags have UDub as an OOC opponent for the foreseeable future ... it'd be nice to have the game "help" vis a vis RPI. Sure looks like that may be the case, as syracuse.com takes a look at Coach Hopkins' first season coaching the Huskies.

I think it's a good read.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2018/04/how_mike_hopkins_won_over_washington_in_his_1st_se ason_this_is_a_real_genuine_du.html

raise the zag
04-12-2018, 06:13 AM
Since the Zags have UDub as an OOC opponent for the foreseeable future ... it'd be nice to have the game "help" vis a vis RPI. Sure looks like that may be the case, as syracuse.com takes a look at Coach Hopkins' first season coaching the Huskies.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2018/04/how_mike_hopkins_won_over_washington_in_his_1st_se ason_this_is_a_real_genuine_du.html

No doubt.

With their returning lineup, another year in the new system, I suspect they'll be Top 20 all season long...if not higher.

Zags have an amazing schedule and the perfect team to play it.

DixieZag
04-12-2018, 06:23 AM
No doubt.

With their returning lineup, another year in the new system, I suspect they'll be Top 20 all season long...if not higher.

Zags have an amazing schedule and the perfect team to play it.

The Huskies will likely not forget the 20-something point beatdown (and it seemed like it could've been 40) from last year, and I would be shocked if they did not play us very very tough. Ideally, we have our stacked roster and a top recruit guard to greet them. Even so, we had best be ready to play, bc I am sure that didn't sit well.

zagdontzig
04-12-2018, 07:21 AM
It also feels like really nice roster timing to play at Chapel Hill, although UNC has a few nice incoming pieces.

Zagceo
04-12-2018, 08:37 AM

Hopkins very likable. Good piece. Thanks

I know Coach Few says he won't coach forever...but you know he likes coaching and working with the kids..what if he stepped back and not away?..at some point becoming the assistant that doesn't travel?

SamwiseTheZag
04-12-2018, 09:17 AM
Feels odd he would transfer. Unless I'm missing something I don't see him being recruited over for next season.

F.B.I.

BULLDOG#1
04-12-2018, 09:39 AM
It also feels like really nice roster timing to play at Chapel Hill, although UNC has a few nice incoming pieces.

What a sweet win that would be! It almost seems impossible to suggest that GU could travel to Chapel Hill and actually come out with the win, but if ever there was a roster built to do just that, we've got it. Not promising we'd pull out the win, but what a game to have on the OOC schedule!

Gotta credit both teams for scheduling this game, especially NC -- there's not a lot of upside for them, they win and 'meh' they beat a mid-major at home, they lose and 'jeesh' they dropped a home game to a mid-major. Seriously, gotta respected them for giving us the home and home.

former1dog
04-12-2018, 09:53 AM
What a sweet win that would be! It almost seems impossible to suggest that GU could travel to Chapel Hill and actually come out with the win, but if ever there was a roster built to do just that, we've got it. Not promising we'd pull out the win, but what a game to have on the OOC schedule!

Gotta credit both teams for scheduling this game, especially NC -- there's not a lot of upside for them, they win and 'meh' they beat a mid-major at home, they lose and 'jeesh' they dropped a home game to a mid-major. Seriously, gotta respected them for giving us the home and home.

Yeah, no one is billing or thinking of this game as UNC versus a mid major. That won't be the perception AT ALL.

In everyone's mind, this is a game of two basketball titans. It will be just like if UNC had Arizona or Michigan State or Villanova coming in. If UNC wins, it will be a big deal. If they lose (very likely) it will be that UNC lost to Gonzaga, a favorite for the national title.

Good grief, man!

IMADEYOUREADTHIS
04-12-2018, 09:57 AM

I call BS on this. That would be the case for a St. Mary’s type team (or worse). But we played them in the Title game in 2017, we’re a perennial top 15 team, we’ve made 4 sweet sixteens in a row. A loss to us is not bad at all, and a win over us is a resume building win.

I guarantee you, if they beat us next year, that will be one of their best resume building wins.

Your statement is preposterous, and not very much in keeping with how GU fans think.

IMADEYOUREADTHIS
04-12-2018, 09:58 AM
Yeah, no one is billing or thinking of this game as UNC versus a mid major. That won't be the perception AT ALL.

In everyone's mind, this is a game of two basketball titans. It will be just like if UNC had Arizona or Michigan State or Villanova coming in. If UNC wins, it will be a big deal. If they lose (very likely) it will be that UNC lost to Gonzaga, a favorite for the national title.

Good grief, man!

Beat me to it F1D, well put

gonzagafan62
04-12-2018, 09:59 AM

Good grief, man!

Exactly... THERE IS A LOT OF UPSIDE FOR THIS GAME.. WHY YOU ASK???? Both are looking for that #1 seed. Winner is in the drivers seat for one of the 4. No such thing as mid major anymore for us. That’s been gone long ago

Coach Crazy
04-12-2018, 10:09 AM

Good grief, man!

A few years ago, I would have said there is still some lingering residue from the old thinking of the press and whatnot. But after that NC Runner-Up, and getting back to the S16, and now people having genuinely picked GU as a Final Four team for this tournament, and some making them an early pick for next March/April, it will billed for what it is: two elites squaring off. It would help if the Zags either win, or at least keep it close, but for now this program is getting close to the gates of Mt. Olympus.

Coach Crazy
04-12-2018, 10:12 AM
Exactly... THERE IS A LOT OF UPSIDE FIR THIS GAME.. WHY YOU ASK???? Both are looking for that #1 seed. Winner us in the drivers seat for one of the 4. No such thing as mid major anymore for us. That’s been gone long ago

This is a good point. I think some have this perception that being picked as a favorite a lot, and not always winning (i.e. Kansas) is a bad thing, or makes a team overrated. But it brings in recruits, helps you win a lot of games, and stabilizes your brand. I don't care if GU only wins one or two rings over the next 10-15. I want them in the discussion for a 1-seed and FF run every. Single. Year.

gonzagafan62
04-12-2018, 10:22 AM
This is a good point. I think some have this perception that being picked as a favorite a lot, and not always winning (i.e. Kansas) is a bad thing, or makes a team overrated. But it brings in recruits, helps you win a lot of games, and stabilizes your brand. I don't care if GU only wins one or two rings over the next 10-15. I want them in the discussion for a 1-seed and FF run every. Single. Year.

Sorry I have edited my post. Need to proofread next time lol. Thanks for comprehending anyway

zagamatic
04-12-2018, 10:44 AM
We also potentially play Duke in Maui, correct? It would be pretty groovy if we could notch a road game win over UNC AND a neutral site over Duke i the same season!

BULLDOG#1
04-12-2018, 01:12 PM
I call BS on this. That would be the case for a St. Mary’s type team (or worse). But we played them in the Title game in 2017, we’re a perennial top 15 team, we’ve made 4 sweet sixteens in a row. A loss to us is not bad at all, and a win over us is a resume building win.

I guarantee you, if they beat us next year, that will be one of their best resume building wins.

Your statement is preposterous, and not very much in keeping with how GU fans think.

Hmmm, maybe that sentiment is correct that GU isn't just considered a 'mid-major' but I still see it as NC taking an unnecessary risk. Playing in the ACC, they'll have better resume games than this one. I'm not sure folks on this board appreciate the NC program. Look, GU is a perennial top 15 team, true.... But we're not Kansas, Duke, Kentucky, Mich St, or even Arizona. I love the Zags as much as anyone and we made a great run to the final game last year, but that alone doesn't place us in the upper class... it puts us with Butler, VCU, and the like.

My real point was that we should feel pretty lucky that NC gave us a home and home. If they lose at home to GU, I think it will look worse than a mid-season loss to a lesser ACC school.

kitzbuel
04-12-2018, 01:54 PM

Good grief, man!

I am going to have to try and find a way into the Dean Smith Center for this. I would love to see an outcome different than the last UNC GU game I watched in person.

former1dog
04-12-2018, 05:57 PM
I am going to have to try and find a way into the Dean Smith Center for this. I would love to see an outcome different than the last UNC GU game I watched in person.

That would be sweet!

ZagsGoZags
04-12-2018, 11:59 PM

This statement would probably not describe NC coaching staff, team, and local staff writers, including all Zag Nation,
but
it may still describe much of their fan base, esp those fans that are not avid.

CarolinaZagFan
04-13-2018, 04:19 AM
This statement would probably not describe NC coaching staff, team, and local staff writers, including all Zag Nation,
but
it may still describe much of their fan base, esp those fans that are not avid.

To most UNC fans everyone besides Carolina and Duke are mid-majors haha. I told myself I’d never set foot in Chapel Hill aka the dump on the hump ever again but I’ll have to make an exception for this game. Go Zags!

Zag_Dad
04-13-2018, 08:20 AM
Apparently Gaels pulled out of the Diamond Head Classic tournament that included Rhode Island, TCU, Colorado & UNLV. It's tempting to criticize Bennett for shying away from playing outside the state of CA or against any team that may boost their RPI, but I guess I'll wait and see what they schedule in lieu of this tournament.

Mr Vulture
04-13-2018, 09:29 AM
Apparently Gaels pulled out of the Diamond Head Classic tournament that included Rhode Island, TCU, Colorado & UNLV. It's tempting to criticize Bennett for shying away from playing outside the state of CA or against any team that may boost their RPI, but I guess I'll wait and see what they schedule in lieu of this tournament.

I'd like to withhold judgement but this seems typical weak scheduling move by Bennett. The Gaels could have had an opportunity for some legit wins versus teams that are not so elite they couldn't be beat. We will see what they schedule but I'm betting its Big West and Big Sky teams at best.

thespywhozaggedme
04-13-2018, 09:33 AM

Why? Wofford just did it this past season.

Zag_Dad
04-13-2018, 10:17 AM
I'd like to withhold judgement but this seems typical weak scheduling move by Bennett. The Gaels could have had an opportunity for some legit wins versus teams that are not so elite they couldn't be beat. We will see what they schedule but I'm betting its Big West and Big Sky teams at best.

It would seem very unlikely that Bennett will change his MO but the message from league and conference was pretty clear... maybe he'll get the clue and work on scheduling

soccerdud
04-13-2018, 03:14 PM
It would seem very unlikely that Bennett will change his MO but the message from league and conference was pretty clear... maybe he'll get the clue and work on scheduling

forget the conference. it'd be great if he could take a clue from the NCAA selection committee. at this point, they've been no less clear and carry lots more authority imo.

sittingon50
04-17-2018, 08:00 PM
PEP in Bahamas Tourney:

https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/986298495907885056

thebigsmoove
04-18-2018, 05:08 AM
PEP in Bahamas Tourney:

https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/986298495907885056

That lineup is awful sans Loyola Chicago. Ive been watching the players Romar has brought in, looking like hes really working hard on changing the identity of the Waves. Hope he can get them to build a new facility soon.

Bouldin4Prez
04-18-2018, 08:57 AM

So if GU won 3-4 rings over the next 10-15 years instead of ONLY 1-2, would you be fine with them not being in the discussion for a 1-seed and FF run every. Single. Year. Or how many rings would it take? 6? 8?

Coach Crazy
04-18-2018, 09:59 AM
So if GU won 3-4 rings over the next 10-15 years instead of ONLY 1-2, would you be fine with them not being in the discussion for a 1-seed and FF run every. Single. Year. Or how many rings would it take? 6? 8?

I don't think you win 2 over the next 10 years without having a brand that constitutes that type of coverage. I don't think it has to be an either/or. Anyone would rather take the rings, but I don't believe it's that abstract, and the evidence supports that brand recognition plays a critical part of sustainability and potential for Championship success. Do you need the coaching and administration support, etc? Sure. But without brand recognition we don't get where we are. You don't get Domantas, you don't get Zach, you don't get Zack, you don't get Nike, or ESPN, or the Mac, or the new Athlete building...etc.

So, I take the brand recognition and the probabilities that come with it.

bdmiller7
04-18-2018, 12:05 PM
BYU basketball took another hit today. Bryant is graduating and starting a pro career. I thought they would be the 2nd best WCC team next year. Now I see them in weak group with SMC, USD, USF, and maybe Pacific fighting for second.

Coach Crazy
04-18-2018, 12:14 PM
BYU basketball took another hit today. Bryant is graduating and starting a pro career. I thought they would be the 2nd best WCC team next year. Now I see them in weak group with SMC, USD, USF, and maybe Pacific fighting for second.

Geez. That's rough. Maybe he spoke to Mika and likes the prospect of playing in Europe?

sittingon50
04-18-2018, 01:30 PM

Childs is apparently weighing his options too. Wonder if this will help to push him out the door.

They seem to think that Emery will be back, but I haven't heard if he has actually cleaned up his NCAA problems.

Cougs could be "not very good" next year.

Mr Vulture
04-18-2018, 01:52 PM
Childs is the best player on that team. I have never been that impressed with Bryant and Emery is just a gunner that costs them more than he helps. They would still have Haws, who is a lights out scorer, but they won't win with just him.

gonstu
04-18-2018, 02:24 PM
Childs is the best player on that team. I have never been that impressed with Bryant and Emery is just a gunner that costs them more than he helps. They would still have Haws, who is a lights out scorer, but they won't win with just him.

I hope Emery comes back. We could use a good villain in the zag wcc saga next year.

Martin Centre Mad Man
04-18-2018, 02:28 PM
Childs is apparently weighing his options too. Wonder if this will help to push him out the door.

They seem to think that Emery will be back, but I haven't heard if he has actually cleaned up his NCAA problems.

Cougs could be "not very good" next year.

Some guy let Emery drive his Jetta and then took the young man for a weekend getaway to Disneyland. That sounds more like a dating relationship than an NCAA violation.

BYU could be miserably bad if Childs and Bryant both leave.

Marconi
04-18-2018, 06:14 PM
What a great opportunity to play two "Blue Bloods" in the same year! Kudos to the powers that be for making this happen.
My thinking if I'm a Zag player or a coach. I'm not hoping we win these games. We are going to WIN these games, and show we belong in the group that are considered Blue Bloods.
As we continue to establish our brand and go deep into the tournament almost every year, these two wins would have the effect of establishing ourselves as a legitimate National Powerhouse. Of course a "Few" national championships is the obvious clincher, but this would obviously pave the way.
The thing I love about the Zags, and I think many of you will agree, is that they are very intentional about their recruiting and play team ball. If your goal is one in done, then you aren't their guy. The main advantage we have over almost all of the Blue Blood teams is that we develop our players. Our starters and bench players know our system, buy into it, and when they are clicking, there is no stopping them. I don''t care who your are.
I honestly believe the Zags are on the brink of completely changing the perception of what constitutes a "Mid Major", and are on their way to being what is considered a Blue Blood themselves.

Go Zags!

Markburn1
04-18-2018, 07:53 PM
What a great opportunity to play two "Blue Bloods" in the same year! Kudos to the powers that be for making this happen.
My thinking if I'm a Zag player or a coach. I'm not hoping we win these games. We are going to WIN these games, and show we belong in the group that are considered Blue Bloods.
As we continue to establish our brand and go deep into the tournament almost every year, these two wins would have the effect of establishing ourselves as a legitimate National Powerhouse. Of course a "Few" national championships is the obvious clincher, but this would obviously pave the way.
The thing I love about the Zags, and I think many of you will agree, is that they are very intentional about their recruiting and play team ball. If your goal is one in done, then you aren't their guy. The main advantage we have over almost all of the Blue Blood teams is that we develop our players. Our starters and bench players know our system, buy into it, and when they are clicking, there is no stopping them. I don''t care who your are.
I honestly believe the Zags are on the brink of completely changing the perception of what constitutes a "Mid Major", and are on their way to being what is considered a Blue Blood themselves.

Go Zags!

Blue Blood??? Maybe Nouveau Riche.

sittingon50
04-24-2018, 11:31 AM
BYU signs home & home with Houston. Host the 1st:

https://www.cougarboard.com/board/message.html?id=19690539

PCZ_Frites
04-24-2018, 12:44 PM
I found this link with a full list of preseason tournaments. Not all look complete, but it looks like they update this semi-often. As of now I see Pepperdine in the aforementioned Bahamas Tourney, and I see SCU in the Vancouver Showcase against UW, Minnesota, and Texas A&M.

https://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2017/11/27/16671208/2018-19-college-basketball-early-season-tournaments-events-mte-neutral-site-showcases-thanksgiving

OntZags
04-25-2018, 04:53 PM
BYU just added Miss St. to their schedule. (on the road)

Can't fault them for their scheduling. No super sexy names but very solid overall. This game is added to Houston, @Utah & @Illinois st. (plus games vs solid local midmajors UVU, Utah St. & Weber St.)

sittingon50
04-25-2018, 07:57 PM
I found this link with a full list of preseason tournaments. Not all look complete, but it looks like they update this semi-often. As of now I see Pepperdine in the aforementioned Bahamas Tourney, and I see SCU in the Vancouver Showcase against UW, Minnesota, and Texas A&M.

https://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2017/11/27/16671208/2018-19-college-basketball-early-season-tournaments-events-mte-neutral-site-showcases-thanksgiving

Thanks Frites.

Outraged
04-25-2018, 09:25 PM
That lineup is awful sans Loyola Chicago. Ive been watching the players Romar has brought in, looking like hes really working hard on changing the identity of the Waves. Hope he can get them to build a new facility soon.

Hope they get a radio contract for this event.

sittingon50
04-28-2018, 07:03 PM
Asst. Coach Julius Hodge gone from SCU, replaced by College of Idaho head coach Scott Garson (Zag opponent last year):

http://wakeupswig.com/?thread=new-assistant-coach-hodge-officially-gone

Has been rumblings on the Bronco board the last few weeks that Hodge was on his way out. They had a kid decommit that was from Hodge's old HS back east, IIRC. No one seems to be sure (yet) what's going on.

Zagdawg
05-01-2018, 09:45 AM
Jon Rothstein

Verified account

@JonRothstein
6m6 minutes ago
More
Saint Mary's 18-19 non-conference marquee games as of now: At Western Kentucky, Cal (home), Harvard (home), New Mexico (Staples Center), LSU (Las Vegas).

Coach Crazy
05-01-2018, 09:59 AM
Asst. Coach Julius Hodge gone from SCU, replaced by College of Idaho head coach Scott Garson (Zag opponent last year):

http://wakeupswig.com/?thread=new-assistant-coach-hodge-officially-gone

Has been rumblings on the Bronco board the last few weeks that Hodge was on his way out. They had a kid decommit that was from Hodge's old HS back east, IIRC. No one seems to be sure (yet) what's going on.

Man, so much elevating to another level with these moves.

Zagdawg
05-01-2018, 10:13 AM
BYU Basketball

@BYUbasketball
10m10 minutes ago
More
BYU and San Diego State have agreed to a home-and-home series for 2018 and 2019.

kitzbuel
05-01-2018, 11:00 AM
Man, so much elevating to another level with these moves.Did you look at Garson's resume? He has good experience for a D1 assistant.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

thespywhozaggedme
05-01-2018, 01:13 PM
Jon Rothstein

Verified account

@JonRothstein
6m6 minutes ago
More
Saint Mary's 18-19 non-conference marquee games as of now: At Western Kentucky, Cal (home), Harvard (home), New Mexico (Staples Center), LSU (Las Vegas).

That's a shockingly good out of conference schedule for them.

sittingon50
05-01-2018, 01:45 PM

And though it remains to be seen, not sure how next year's squad, given their losses, will handle it.

DixieZag
05-01-2018, 05:08 PM

Not sure where you're getting that idea.

I don't know anything about where Western Kentucky is supposed to be next year, they were top 50 if I recall last year - but it's a true road game v. mid-major, so one good game, but middie v. middie in the committee's eyes.

Cal is the worst Pac team in a long time and I don't know if they've done anything to get better, Harvard is no longer winning the Ivy league, New Mexico is going the wrong direction in a league that's gone the wrong direction.

LSU is supposed to have a great coach (according to those here who know) and has a good recruiting class, so maybe top 50 again.

I don't the type of response one would hope for as demonstrating a change in principle.

This is coming from the biggest SMC apologist on the board. Randy took the worst team in D-1 to a team that is always a win against GU away from making the tourney. I don't know enough about the situation on the Diamond Head Classic and pulling out to comment, and the scheduling isn't over, so we should all (me most) withhold judgment. But, I don't see the above as "shockingly good" - that to me would be playing a top Big 12 team, a top SEC team, top Big East, three of them, all on the road if need be. They can lose them all and come out ahead since "losses against top quad teams don't count."

I want this bc I like their program (clean, for the most part). I really like their players. I respect Randy's coaching. And their fans - for the most part, are great.

thespywhozaggedme
05-01-2018, 07:21 PM
Not sure where you're getting that idea.

I don't know anything about where Western Kentucky is supposed to be next year, they were top 50 if I recall last year - but it's a true road game v. mid-major, so one good game, but middie v. middie in the committee's eyes.

Cal is the worst Pac team in a long time and I don't know if they've done anything to get better, Harvard is no longer winning the Ivy league, New Mexico is going the wrong direction in a league that's gone the wrong direction.

LSU is supposed to have a great coach (according to those here who know) and has a good recruiting class, so maybe top 50 again.

I don't the type of response one would hope for as demonstrating a change in principle.

This is coming from the biggest SMC apologist on the board. Randy took the worst team in D-1 to a team that is always a win against GU away from making the tourney. I don't know enough about the situation on the Diamond Head Classic and pulling out to comment, and the scheduling isn't over, so we should all (me most) withhold judgment. But, I don't see the above as "shockingly good" - that to me would be playing a top Big 12 team, a top SEC team, top Big East, three of them, all on the road if need be. They can lose them all and come out ahead since "losses against top quad teams don't count."

I want this bc I like their program (clean, for the most part). I really like their players. I respect Randy's coaching. And their fans - for the most part, are great.

Cal sucks. WKU is very good, LSU is top 25 preseason, Harvard will be preseason Ivy favorites and UNM will be picked second preseason MWC after Nevada. Not sure if you watch much college bball other than the Zags, but for SMC, that is a very legit ooc schedule.

Zagdawg
05-04-2018, 07:02 AM
St. Mary’s Associate Head Coach Marty Clarke Departs for position with NBA Global Academy

St Marys already has a strong tie to Australia - this move should help them going forward with recruiting.

“One of the main priorities of the NBA Global Academy is preparing athletes for the college system,” said General Manager High Performance, Jan Stirling.

https://hoopdirt.com/st-marys-associate-head-coach-marty-clarke-departs-position-nba-global-academy/

jazzdelmar
05-04-2018, 07:07 AM

It's a solid sked for Randy. It's a start. Too bad Landale, Naar, et al didn't get to test themselves against teams like this.

Zagdawg
05-11-2018, 08:17 AM
Socal Hoop Report

@SocalHoop
Follow Follow @SocalHoop
More
#Former Five Star Big man MJ Cage #announces his commitment to Pepperdine. Huge get for Lorenzo Romar 6'10 7-3 prospect skilled post and can shoot.

thespywhozaggedme
05-11-2018, 08:40 AM
Socal Hoop Report

@SocalHoop
Follow Follow @SocalHoop
More
#Former Five Star Big man MJ Cage #announces his commitment to Pepperdine. Huge get for Lorenzo Romar 6'10 7-3 prospect skilled post and can shoot.

Meh. I think MaynardKrebs put it perfectly the other day. i don't think he really likes basketball. Like a lot of athletic kids, especially those that are kids of former NBA players like Cage and Rooks, they're kind of forced into playing hoops. I actually kinda feel bad for them in a way.

Zagdawg
05-11-2018, 08:51 AM
He is joining Keith Smith at Pepperdine (who also transferred from Oregon)-- both have to sit a year before they become eligible to play in 2019.

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2018/04/former_oregon_ducks_forward_keith_smith.html

Zagceo
05-11-2018, 08:53 AM
He is joining Keith Smith at Pepperdine (who also transferred from Oregon)-- both have to sit a year before they become eligible to play in 2019.

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2018/04/former_oregon_ducks_forward_keith_smith.html

cage could be attracted to the sitting part

Zagdawg
05-11-2018, 09:04 AM
Maybe a better fit and less angst for the top 100 player out of high school (Keith Smith another top 100 guy out of high school)-- Cage had the injury and was buried in the lineup -- fresh start and maybe he finds his love for the game again (or maybe he is looking for the year off to make a long term decision about his future).

Romar getting some decent players to Pepperdine and should have them playing more competitive in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNigKzoi-ng

jazzdelmar
05-11-2018, 09:06 AM
Go, Ro!

kitzbuel
05-11-2018, 09:56 AM
Socal Hoop Report

@SocalHoop
Follow Follow @SocalHoop
More

Romar is raiding UO: http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?63139-Romar-raiding-OU

gonzagafan62
05-12-2018, 12:24 PM
That SMC sked isn’t “legit” by any means, but it’s a nice start. Let’s not get crazy here. But it definitely is a step in right direction

MDABE80
05-12-2018, 03:35 PM
SMC's really is just pretending to move off the dime to get them into the NCAA tournament. Still quite weak. What makes anyone think Romar's changed his spots? He's always recruited killer players. And what happened? A few go to NBA but he simply doesn't coach the team to major victories and get deep in the Tournament. Big talker but hasn't amounted to much in 8 years......It's just not there.
I might sound like a sour#### but the proof's in the pudding'.

Bogozags
05-13-2018, 04:35 AM
Romar is raiding UO: http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?63139-Romar-raiding-OU

I wonder what the odds are on Romar, after playing in Spokane a few times and getting beat, will he suddenly decided to no longer play GU as he would like to play more of a "National Schedule?"

Bogozags
05-13-2018, 04:42 AM
Spy you are right...it is a "shockingly" good schedule for them but a far cry from competitive...won't venture off to a P-5 Conference school to play and it appears they can't get a home and home with a P-5 school unless the school is in the Bay Area...still a start! I do wonder who at SMC is in charge of recruiting...is it Randy or the AD or ?

willandi
05-13-2018, 07:41 AM
I wonder what the odds are on Romar, after playing in Spokane a few times and getting beat, will he suddenly decided to no longer play GU as he would like to play more of a "National Schedule?":000tens::cheers:;)

gonzagafan62
05-13-2018, 08:48 AM
I wonder what the odds are on Romar, after playing in Spokane a few times and getting beat, will he suddenly decided to no longer play GU as he would like to play more of a "National Schedule?"

All he has to do is finish 9-10 and he won’t have the home game vs GU

Gonezagaga
05-13-2018, 09:56 AM
I think the one thing that we should remember about Romar is this, when he had Ken Bone as his assistant at UW they were very good. With Romar recruiting and Bone doing the “real coaching’” I think Pepperdine may be quite good in a few years. Certainly good enough to compete for top 3 in the league.

JAGzag
05-13-2018, 10:28 AM
I think the one thing that we should remember about Romar is this, when he had Ken Bone as his assistant at UW they were very good. With Romar recruiting and Bone doing the “real coaching’” I think Pepperdine may be quite good in a few years. Certainly good enough to compete for top 3 in the league.

Sure, but don't they still need a coach then?

Gonezagaga
05-13-2018, 10:56 AM
I believe that is why Pepperdine hired Bone as Associate Head Coach.

MDABE80
05-13-2018, 02:40 PM
Gorgeous place to live and work. He'll get players there.

CDC84
05-13-2018, 08:28 PM
They still need better facilities. One would hope that more wins and more fannies in the seats would help kick start the campaign again to build a new gym. Firestone is severely over the hill. That ocean is beautiful, but the kids will be spending more time in the gym than surfing (that is, if they wish to be great players and win games).

Corky
05-13-2018, 09:26 PM
They still need better facilities. One would hope that more wins and more fannies in the seats would help kick start the campaign again to build a new gym. Firestone is severely over the hill. That ocean is beautiful, but the kids will be spending more time in the gym than surfing (that is, if they wish to be great players and win games).

The creepy looking mascot may scare some.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bogozags
05-14-2018, 03:32 AM
Who is responsible for scheduling at SMC?

Is it Randy, an assistant, the AD...

bartruff1
05-14-2018, 04:57 AM
Justin Joyner is the Director of Basketball Operations for the Gaels and probably develops the non conference schedule and works with the Conference to develop the Conference Schedule....under Randy's direction and ultimately his approval....I would guess..

willandi
05-14-2018, 05:45 AM
Justin Joyner is the Director of Basketball Operations for the Gaels and probably develops the non conference schedule and works with the Conference to develop the Conference Schedule....under Randy's direction and ultimately his approval....I would guess..

We know that Randy's help is...no great shakes!

thespywhozaggedme
05-14-2018, 06:10 AM
We know that Randy's help is...no great shakes!

Ba da bum!

bdmiller7
05-16-2018, 06:47 AM
With BYU's scheduling this year I was wondering if they were trying to rebuild some bridges they burnt when they left the MW. 4 MW teams: Nevada, UNLV, Utah St., and SDSU. Maybe they are interested in the invite GU turned down in the future.

PCZ_Frites
05-16-2018, 07:14 AM
Childs is officially returning to BYU for his junior year:

https://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2018/5/15/17354210/yoeli-childs-to-return-to-byu-for-junior-season-byu-basketball-nba-draft

SCU gets a Wake Forest transfer:
http://santaclarabroncos.com/sports/m-baskbl/2017-18/releases/20180430pl1vxd

Goshzagit
05-17-2018, 11:26 AM
Childs is officially returning to BYU for his junior year:

https://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2018/5/15/17354210/yoeli-childs-to-return-to-byu-for-junior-season-byu-basketball-nba-draft

SCU gets a Wake Forest transfer:
http://santaclarabroncos.com/sports/m-baskbl/2017-18/releases/20180430pl1vxd

Happy to hear Childs is returning. One of my fave non GU players to watch in WCC.

caldwellzag
05-18-2018, 12:08 PM
Good pick up for USF

https://twitter.com/coreyevans_10/status/997569276600094720

soccerdud
05-18-2018, 12:20 PM
Good pick up for USF

https://twitter.com/coreyevans_10/status/997569276600094720

didn't see a definitive answer, but my guess would be that he is transferring to the OTHER usf. he was kicked off okie state's team for violation of team rules and is from miami. south florida seems a much more likely destination than san francisco.

caldwellzag
05-18-2018, 12:25 PM
didn't see a definitive answer, but my guess would be that he is transferring to the OTHER usf. he was kicked off okie state's team for violation of team rules and is from miami. south florida seems a much more likely destination than san francisco.

Lol I didn't look that closely into it, I am sure you are right. I was looking at Mobley committing to USC today, big get for them (his dad is an assistant though).

caldwellzag
05-18-2018, 12:39 PM
It is South Florida. My bad, I will look closer before posting!

soccerdud
05-18-2018, 12:44 PM
no worries, cwz.

Zagdawg
05-24-2018, 10:28 AM
Sounds like and opportunity to line up a solid game in January

Auburn, Mississippi State, and LSU not playing in the challenge-- so they will be hopefully looking to fill in the hole in the schedule.

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10410&ATCLID=211716770

strikenowhere
05-24-2018, 10:49 AM

Auburn, Mississippi State, and LSU not playing in the challenge-- so they will be hopefully looking to fill in the hole in the schedule.

There's already the potential to play Auburn in Maui, so that just leaves Miss St. & LSU. Are they predicted to be anything worthwhile next year?

sittingon50
05-24-2018, 10:59 AM
There's already the potential to play Auburn in Maui, so that just leaves Miss St. & LSU. Are they predicted to be anything worthwhile next year?

LSU pre-season Top 25 in some polls.

Zagdawg
05-24-2018, 11:05 AM
Mississippi State looks like it would be a solid top 100 RPI game (had 73 RPI last year)-- no seniors on a team last year that went 25-12 with #27 and #44 ranked freshman coming in this year.

sittingon50
05-24-2018, 11:32 AM

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2018/05/22/college-basketball-preseason-top-25/

Zags #2
Miss. St. #14
LSU #23

Zagdawg
05-24-2018, 07:13 PM
14. MISSISSIPPI STATE BULLDOGS
Who’s gone: No one
Who do they add: Reggie Perry, Robert Woodard, Jethro Tshisumpa Mbiya, D.J. Stewart
Projected starting lineup: Lamar Peters, Nick Weatherspoon, Quinndary Weatherspoon, Aric Holman, Abdul Ado
I am not totally sold on Ben Howland getting this thing going at Mississippi State, but this will be his most talented team. The Weatherspoon brothers are both going to be good players, Peters still intrigues some NBA teams and Holman should fill a role. Reggie Perry should be a nice addition and an impact player as well.

23. LSU Tigers
Who’s gone: Duop Reath, Randy Onwuasor, Aaron Epps, Jeremy Combs, Mayan Kiir, Galen Alexander
Who do they add: Naz Reid, Emmitt Williams, Javonte Smart, Darius Days, Kavell Bigby-Williams
Projected starting lineup: Tremont Waters, Javonte Smart, Skylar Mays, Naz Reid, Emmitt Williams
LSU is really young. They are also really talented. Waters is so entertaining, and the incoming trio of Smart, Reid and Williams is very good. Effort will be a key, as will their ability to play together, but they have a chance to be really good.

Zagdawg
05-29-2018, 12:51 PM
Admiral Schofield’s return sets up Tennessee for big 2018-19 season
By Raphielle JohnsonMay 29, 2018, 4:20 PM EDT

Tuesday afternoon, one day before the NCAA deadline for players to announce their intentions to withdraw from the NBA draft and return to school, the Tennessee basketball program received some good news.

Forward Admiral Schofield, who decided earlier in the spring to test the process without hiring an agent, announced that he will be returning to Knoxville for his senior season. As a junior Schofield averaged 13.9 points and a team-high 6.4 rebounds per game, shooting 44.7 percent from the field, 39.5 percent from three-point range and 75.6 percent from the foul line.

Schofield’s return means that the top six scorers — and all five starters — from a team that won 26 games and a share of the SEC regular season title will all be back on campus.

While the rosters at Auburn — which shared the regular season title with Tennessee — and Kentucky are nothing to scoff at, a very good case can be made that Rick Barnes’ team should be the preseason favorite to win the SEC next season. At minimum, the Volunteers should be safely in the Top 10 of the preseason national polls this fall.

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2018/05/29/admiral-schofields-return-sets-up-tennessee-for-big-2018-19-season/

sittingon50
05-29-2018, 02:12 PM
They are going to be TOUGH.

That should be a helluva' game.

bdmiller7
05-29-2018, 03:36 PM
I watched UT a bunch this year, not much height but tough and physical. It'll be interesting to see Rui, Tillie and Clarke match up down low with the Vol's defensive ends, Schofield and Williams.

OntZags
05-29-2018, 05:20 PM
I watched UT a bunch this year, not much height but tough and physical. It'll be interesting to see Rui, Tillie and Clarke match up down low with the Vol's defensive ends, Schofield and Williams.

They also have Kyle Alexander who is a bonafide center (6'10/11ish) so they've got some height, too. Alexander hasn't posted notable numbers as yet but he was a late starter in basketball and has serious pro (possibly even NBA) upside.

With Schofield officially back, it looks like an amazing matchup for the noncon. Quite the challenge.

OntZags
05-31-2018, 01:57 PM
So St.Mary's just landed a 7'3 grad transfer Aaron Menzies from Seattle. Certainly not nearly as refined offensively as Jock but he may well be a better defender and he is one big boy. May need to get some quality minutes from Larsen against him just to absorb his size.

I know most expect a down year from SMC but I think they might be sneaky good. They are pretty well rounded across the board, albeit lacking in star power. (although I do think Ford is poised to really breakout this season and I've heard that Fitts could well challenge Clarke for newcomer of the year) They'll be better defensively than last season and if Bennett could work his x's and o's magic, they can still make the tourney.

Zagceo
05-31-2018, 02:18 PM
SMC has a total of 5 NCAA tournament victories since 1959 ......the same amount Zags got in 2017 tournament.

GonzagasaurusFlex
05-31-2018, 05:57 PM

Love the idea of Zags adding a quality opponent late in the season to shake off the WCC rust buildup and hopefully solidify a protected tourney seed. One question, do we know Zags don’t have a WCC game scheduled for that same Saturday, January 26th?

willandi
05-31-2018, 06:09 PM
So St.Mary's just landed a 7'3 grad transfer Aaron Menzies from Seattle. Certainly not nearly as refined offensively as Jock but he may well be a better defender and he is one big boy. May need to get some quality minutes from Larsen against him just to absorb his size.

I know most expect a down year from SMC but I think they might be sneaky good. They are pretty well rounded across the board, albeit lacking in star power. (although I do think Ford is poised to really breakout this season and I've heard that Fitts could well challenge Clarke for newcomer of the year) They'll be better defensively than last season and if Bennett could work his x's and o's magic, they can still make the tourney.

If he lays back as a rim protector, it becomes a 4 on 5 outside game. If he comes out, the lane is free to drive.

Bogozags
06-01-2018, 05:00 AM
If he lays back as a rim protector, it becomes a 4 on 5 outside game. If he comes out, the lane is free to drive.

Not knowing the connection with Menzies and SMC...was he recruited by SMC in HS if not then interesting why he chose SMC unless that might have been one of the few D1 schools interested in him. I think the latter so agree with willandi that he most probably doesn't have the foot speed/athleticism to leave the "key" and play P&R defence...then again he could be a sleeper that P5 schools missed. I remember Foster and believe he was 7'5" and was also a rim protector but not one with great hands, which limited his ability to score...

caldwellzag
06-01-2018, 06:01 AM
BYU Dastrup is transferring.

https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/status/1002550070825254912

raise the zag
06-01-2018, 06:57 AM
BYU Dastrup is transferring.

https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/status/1002550070825254912

I'd take him. I think there is something there, nice size (6'10", 250 lbs), and showed a good motor in limited mins. Only averaged 2 ppg over 2 yrs, yet still has 2 yrs to play...he went on his mission, so he's already 22. Upon his return, he played behind Eric Mika & then Yoeli Childs.

Was a 4*, Top-100 prospect out of HS. Averaged 19, 13, & 4 for a large HS in Arizona. Offers from Ohio St, Virginia, Kansas, Florida, USC, ASU, Utah, A&M, & of course, BYU.

Here was his scouting report in 2015:

Strengths:
Dastrup has broad shoulders, nice length, and solid feet. He is a blue-collar 5-man with good hands and has a knack for snatching rebounds in traffic. He can step out and hit shots from the 3-point stripe, but is much more potent in the mid-range area. As mentioned above his forte is rebounding and playing assertive through contact. Overall, he is a rim-level player, but with momentum (off a pick and roll) he can throw it down in traffic with authority.

Weaknesses:
Dastrup is a good, not great athlete, but he does have good feet. His post skills are improving, but he needs to get better converting over and around defenders utilizing a go-to move (jump hook) or counter move (up-and-under with the left hand).

Bottom Line:
Dastrup has a nice upside and reminds some of a young Nick Collison. Look for him to be a high major priority for the next level.

Jerry Meyer considered him an elite role player at a high major school, as an 'all-around 4 man with a solid skillset'.

Would be a great rotational big after a RS year.

bdmiller7
06-01-2018, 08:17 AM
Never understood why he didn't play more. His per 40 numbers were really close to Childs yet he played less than Worthington and Nixon last year. I was always impressed with his effort.

thespywhozaggedme
06-01-2018, 08:47 AM
I'd take him. I think there is something there, nice size (6'10", 250 lbs), and showed a good motor in limited mins. Only averaged 2 ppg over 2 yrs, yet still has 2 yrs to play...he went on his mission, so he's already 22. Upon his return, he played behind Eric Mika & then Yoeli Childs.

Was a 4*, Top-100 prospect out of HS. Averaged 19, 13, & 4 for a large HS in Arizona. Offers from Ohio St, Virginia, Kansas, Florida, USC, ASU, Utah, A&M, & of course, BYU.

Jerry Meyer considered him an elite role player at a high major school, as an 'all-around 4 man with a solid skillset'.

He's not better than anyone on our current roster. What he did in high school is completely irrelevant.

IowaSERE
06-01-2018, 09:34 AM
He's not better than anyone on our current roster. What he did in high school is completely irrelevant.

Assuming that Rui and Tillie are gone next year, He'd be better a good candidate for PT after his RD year.

ZagNative
06-01-2018, 03:50 PM
More Tennessee news (http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0794349978876121630-4):

Espn 60 D.J. Burns reclassifies up into the class of 2018 and commits to Rick Barnes and Tennessee. A power forward at 6'8" & 255lbs who scores with footwork, touch, and instincts on the blocks. The Volunteers will be projected as a top 5 team next season. This is a terrific recruit for Tennessee.

ZagNative
06-01-2018, 04:51 PM
I had to look at Gary Parrish's Top 25 plus one (https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/2018-19-college-basketball-rankings-changes-in-top-25-and-1-after-ncaa-draft-withdrawal-deadline/)to see who else Tennessee has coming back. Looks tough already, even before adding D. J. Burns ... Parrish has Tennessee at #3 and the Zags at #5.

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere.

3. Tennessee

Coach: Rick Barnes
2017-18 record: 26-9
Notable players definitely gone: James Daniel
Other expected departures: None
Notable players expected to return: Grant Williams, Admiral Schofield, Lamonte Turner, Jordan Bowden, Jordan Bone, Kyle Alexander, Chris Darrington, John Fulkerson, Derrick Walker, Zach Kent, Jalen Johnson, Yves Pons
Expected additions: Khwan Jones
Why the Vols are ranked here: Tennessee should return most of the important pieces from a team that shared the SEC regular-season title. More specifically, the top six scorers are back — among them SEC Player of the Year Grant Williams. So it'll come as no surprise when the Vols finish at, or near, the top of the league again.

Coach Crazy
06-01-2018, 05:40 PM

I would take him if DD thought he could work out the kinks in his game. Also, would love to see the guy lean out a bit and become more agile player. Don't know why he'd choose GU, though.

Zagdawg
06-02-2018, 08:37 AM
Jeff Borzello

Verified account

@jeffborzello
More
Tennessee State grad transfer Christian Mekowulu has committed to Texas A&M, he tells ESPN. Eligible immediately. 12.7 PPG, 7.9 RPG.

willandi
06-02-2018, 08:59 AM
I would take him if DD thought he could work out the kinks in his game. Also, would love to see the guy lean out a bit and become more agile player. Don't know why he'd choose GU, though.

He might want to win a few more games and get to the dance.

MDABE80
06-02-2018, 09:54 AM
I have no issues with our front court
NRui and Clarke will rebound but Tillie needs to focus and not take plays off. Out front, Josh , Zack and Ayahi with Corey should be formidable. What's not known is how tough our defense will be. 2nd half of last season our defense was very strong.

Zagdawg
06-02-2018, 09:24 PM
https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2018/06/02/texas-am-adds-grad-transfer-big-man/

Zagdawg
06-04-2018, 08:06 AM
1. Tennessee: A season that began with the Volunteers being picked to finish 13th in the SEC ended with 26 wins, a share of the SEC regular season title and the program’s first NCAA tournament appearance in four years. With much of that team back Rick Barnes may have a national contender on his hands, and the disappointing end to last season should motivate this experienced group.

3. Auburn: From a depth standpoint the Tigers don’t have much room for error, especially with the departure of Mustapha Heron. That being said this is a very good rotation to work with, as Danjel Purifoy and Austin Wiley will be back on the court after sitting out the first nine games of the 2018-19 season. Bryce Brown, Jared Harper, Horace Spencer and Anfernee McLemore return, and transfer guards Samir Doughty (VCU) and Jamal Johnson (Memphis) will be eligible after sitting out last season.

11. Texas A&M: The Aggies lost their top three front court contributors, as Robert Williams, Tyler Davis and D.J. Hogg all turned pro. That leaves guards T.J. Starks and Admon Gilder to shoulder much of the load in 2018-19, with transfers Josh Nebo (Saint Francis-PA) and Christian Mekowulu (Tennessee State) joining Isiah Jasey in the front court. Also, Texas A&M will need Jay Jay Chandler and Savion Flagg to take a significant step forward if the team is to exceed this expectation.

WAY-TOO-EARLY ALL-SEC TEAM
Grant Williams, Tennessee (POY)
Bryce Brown, Auburn
Tremont Waters, LSU
Chris Silva, South Carolina
PJ Washington, Kentucky

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2018/06/04/southeastern-conference-reset-the-league-gets-even-stronger-in-2018-19/

Zagdawg
06-04-2018, 11:42 AM
Eurohopes

@Eurohopes
Follow Follow @Eurohopes
More
2018 class Italian big Guglielmo Caruso ('99) has committed to Santa Clara. Caruso is currently the #37 ranked prospect in our 1999 generation ranking

RenoZag
06-04-2018, 01:54 PM
So we should expect the Santa Clara faithful to be singing Caruso's praises shortly ?

sittingon50
06-04-2018, 02:42 PM
So we should expect the Santa Clara faithful to be singing Caruso's praises shortly ?

Ba-da-boom.

Zagdawg
06-04-2018, 02:59 PM
Caruso highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty2aDzqdDNo

Robzagnut
06-05-2018, 01:00 PM
Tennessee and Gonzaga #1 seeds? Makes their early match up quite interesting...

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/bracketology-kansas-and-duke-are-at-the-top-of-the-way-too-early-preseason-bracket/?ftag=SPM-16-10abi8e

Zagdawg
06-14-2018, 10:55 AM
Jeff Goodman

Verified account

@GoodmanESPN
33m33 minutes ago
More
MGM Resorts Main Event (Nov. 19, 21 in Las Vegas at T-Mobile): Saint Mary’s replaces NC State. Now the four hosts are Gaels, Utah State, Arizona State and Miss St. Saint Mary’s plays Utah State and ASU vs. Miss St. in the semis (19th). Finals and consolation on 21st.

jazzdelmar
06-14-2018, 11:42 AM
Jeff Goodman

Verified account

@GoodmanESPN
33m33 minutes ago
More
MGM Resorts Main Event (Nov. 19, 21 in Las Vegas at T-Mobile): Saint Mary’s replaces NC State. Now the four hosts are Gaels, Utah State, Arizona State and Miss St. Saint Mary’s plays Utah State and ASU vs. Miss St. in the semis (19th). Finals and consolation on 21st.

Baby steps.

DixieZag
06-14-2018, 01:56 PM
Jeff Goodman

Verified account

@GoodmanESPN
33m33 minutes ago
More

Is ASU projected to be fairly good again? At least they could get one quality win out of it, or a quality loss, which we learned is the exact same thing.

DixieZag
06-14-2018, 01:57 PM
Jeff Goodman

Verified account

@GoodmanESPN
33m33 minutes ago
More

Is ASU projected to be fairly good again? At least they could get one quality win out of it, or a quality loss, which we learned is the exact same thing.

Zagdawg
06-14-2018, 03:50 PM
Mississippi State has some good players coming in also (players ranked #28 and #45 in 2018) and didn't have any seniors this year (they did lose their #7 and #8 and #11 players to transfer).

Zagdawg
06-14-2018, 08:39 PM
NCAA reinstates BYU’s Nick Emery

"The Cougar guard has been reinstated by the NCAA, but will sit out the first nine games of the season as part of the NCAA’s ruling, BYU announced Thursday night."

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2018/06/14/ncaa-reinstates-byus-nick-emery/

sittingon50
06-14-2018, 10:46 PM
NCAA reinstates BYU’s Nick Emery

"The Cougar guard has been reinstated by the NCAA, but will sit out the first nine games of the season as part of the NCAA’s ruling, BYU announced Thursday night."

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2018/06/14/ncaa-reinstates-byus-nick-emery/

He's gonna' have to make up a lot of shots after givin' the other guys a head start!!:p

bartruff1
06-15-2018, 12:13 AM
Hoping he has his life back on track.....

thebigsmoove
06-15-2018, 04:55 AM

They will be a dark horse in the Pac 12. They got Taeshon Cherry (We recruited him) incoming.

Zagdawg
07-05-2018, 11:18 AM
Saint Mary’s College Men’s Basketball Staff Update

https://hoopdirt.com/saint-marys-college-mens-basketball-staff-update/

thespywhozaggedme
07-05-2018, 11:29 AM
They will be a dark horse in the Pac 12. They got Taeshon Cherry (We recruited him) incoming.

I don't think he ever signed; grades, I think.

johno
07-05-2018, 01:51 PM
Is the the WCC season or just NCAA games?

Bogozags
07-05-2018, 04:57 PM
Is the the WCC season or just NCAA games?

???

Zags_Fanatic
07-05-2018, 06:08 PM
I don't think he ever signed; grades, I think.

His mom posted a picture of Taeshon's ASU locker with his nameplate and number last week. He might be a ticking time bomb but hasn't exploded yet.

thespywhozaggedme
07-05-2018, 06:48 PM
His mom posted a picture of Taeshon's ASU locker with his nameplate and number last week. He might be a ticking time bomb but hasn't exploded yet.

Interesting, OK. Scout 24/7 must not have updated him because every 2018 recruit shows signed except for him.

Zagdawg
07-24-2018, 09:05 AM
Santa Clara with a pretty nice schedule

https://www.santaclarabroncos.com/sports/m-baskbl/2018-19/releases/20180723s87zm56

jazzdelmar
07-24-2018, 09:55 AM
Santa Clara with a pretty nice schedule

https://www.santaclarabroncos.com/sports/m-baskbl/2018-19/releases/20180723s87zm56

What an annoying website.

Bogozags
07-24-2018, 10:22 AM
SCU is playing FIVE P-5 schools...wouldn't that be more than SMC has played in the last two years?

Zagdawg
07-27-2018, 09:39 AM
With Bright Future on the Hilltop, Smith Earns Multi-Year Extension

https://usfdons.com/news/2018/7/27/mens-basketball-future-looking-bright-smith-earns-multi-year-extension.aspx

Zagdawg
07-27-2018, 09:42 AM
Here's 15 things to know about the ACC this season

2. Who will be the veteran leader for Duke? There is no question that Duke will have immense talent — but it mostly resides in the freshmen class with an all-star lineup of Zion Williamson, R.J. Barrett, Cam Reddish, Tre Jones and Joey Baker. But I’m interested to see if 6-11 junior Marques Bolden will be the presence the Blue Devils have had and needed to get to a Final Four. Duke has been more about winning in March than the ACC regular season. The Blue Devils want conference titles, but that’s not the end game here. The pursuit is for a national championship. Teams that win titles have at least one veteran player who has been a locker room presence as well as a key contributor. This is Bolden’s chance and time.

3. How fast will Nassir Little shine? The Tar Heels have arguably one of the toughest if not the most difficult schedule in the country. UNC goes to Wofford (who beat the Tar Heels in Chapel Hill last season), travels to Elon (should win but dangerous road game nonetheless), hosts Stanford, plays Texas and either Michigan State or UCLA in Las Vegas, is at Michigan in the ACC-Big Ten Challenge, hosts Gonzaga, plays Kentucky in Chicago and then gets A-10 and Ivy League favorites Davidson and Harvard, respectively. The Tar Heels will need the super stud freshman to grow up fast to get through that gauntlet. He has the talent to do so. But how will he hold up in intense game after game?

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2018-07-26/virginia-hungry-duke-needs-veteran-leadership-heres-15-things

sittingon50
07-27-2018, 10:09 AM
With Bright Future on the Hilltop, Smith Earns Multi-Year Extension

https://usfdons.com/news/2018/7/27/mens-basketball-future-looking-bright-smith-earns-multi-year-extension.aspx

Thanks for the link Zd. The Don's are bringing back some talent & Kyle is a good Coach.

Zagdawg
08-16-2018, 09:07 AM
Duke's Alex O'Connell to miss rest of Canada tour with broken facial bone

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/24390837/duke-blue-devils-alex-oconnell-broken-facial-bone

Zagdawg
08-22-2018, 07:26 AM
Connor griffin is going to be grad assistant at Pepperdine

Jim Meehan

@SRJimm
23h23 hours ago
More Jim Meehan Retweeted connor griffin
Former Zag walk-on/UW football TE/Vanguard all-conference forward joins Pepperdine's staff as grad assistant

Zagdawg
09-12-2018, 09:27 AM
We should see the top 3 impact freshman.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2018-09-12/15-freshmen-who-can-make-immediate-impact-college-basketball

Zags_Fanatic
09-12-2018, 10:15 AM
Connor griffin is going to be grad assistant at Pepperdine

Jim Meehan

@SRJimm
23h23 hours ago
More Jim Meehan Retweeted connor griffin
Former Zag walk-on/UW football TE/Vanguard all-conference forward joins Pepperdine's staff as grad assistant

Interesting. Sounds like Romar is going all-in on beating GU with Bone and Griffin on staff.

willandi
09-12-2018, 11:20 AM
Interesting. Sounds like Romar is going all-in on beating GU with Bone and Griffin on staff.

Maybe they will pull an 'anonymous letter' and pull certain plays off the coaches desk!

It would help if the waves had the players to compete.

Grand Valley Zag
09-12-2018, 12:47 PM
Maybe they will pull an 'anonymous letter' and pull certain plays off the coaches desk!

I'm resisting
the urge to get into that, are the plays they removing good ideas, or . . . ?

maynard g krebs
09-12-2018, 02:06 PM

Didn't you mean anomynoush?

Zagdawg
09-14-2018, 12:45 PM
Stadium

Verified account

@WatchStadium
3h3 hours ago

More
Our insider @GoodmanHoops has @UW_MBB ranked 2️⃣2️⃣ in his preseason Top 25.

The #Huskies return @JaylenNowell and company from a 21-win team last season. #TougherTogether

MDABE80
09-14-2018, 01:09 PM
UW is very good this year. I think they deserve to be ranked. A victory over them is no small change. Coach actually is talented, good recruiter and actually coaches!!!

Zagdawg
09-14-2018, 01:33 PM
Five-star point guard Nico Mannion commits to Arizona

https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Five-star-point-guard-Nico-Mannion-commits-to-Arizona-121856812/

Zagceo
09-19-2018, 12:17 PM
Barnes getting top recruit. good recruiting tips given by youngster

"We played pickup with some of the team one morning while the coaches were still at breakfast," James wrote. "Lamonte Turner (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/3948642/lamonte-turner) was guarding me and I remember I got by him one time but I got fouled on the layup. He pulled me aside and showed me a little trick to get more space at the rim. He didn't have to do that. Little things like that matter to me, man.
"Coach Barnes sat in the gym with me for about an hour after. When I get tired, I start to sling the ball instead of having it in the high pocket. He noticed that right away and tried to help me fix it. I swear Tennessee has the best player development in the country. What other coach will sit in the gym with me for an hour and point out my weaknesses instead of just talking me up? That really stuck out to me on my visit. It wasn't just a show."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/24732379/josiah-james-commits-tennessee-volunteers

sittingon50
09-19-2018, 12:59 PM
Was actually thinking about this earlier; does anyone know what kind of shape Chapel Hill is in after the storm (I haven't watched a whole lot of news)?

Was wishing a long time ago that THIS year's team could play them at home THIS year & now wonder if there is any possibility that the home & home get's flipped. I know the game is some time off.

cggonzaga
09-19-2018, 01:09 PM
Was actually thinking about this earlier; does anyone know what kind of shape Chapel Hill is in after the storm (I haven't watched a whole lot of news)?

Was wishing a long time ago that THIS year's team could play them at home THIS year & now wonder if there is any possibility that the home & home get's flipped. I know the game is some time off.

They’re under some water but not bad.

sittingon50
09-19-2018, 03:47 PM
Thanks cg.

Zagdawg
09-23-2018, 07:03 PM
https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Christian-Koloko-commits-to-Arizona-122404017/

Zagdawg
09-25-2018, 10:50 AM
Travis Branham

@TravisBranham_
8m8 minutes ago
More Travis Branham Retweeted Adam Finkelstein
Nice pickup by San Diego landing Norgwegian wing Mikal Gjerde. Will bring a little bit of everything to the table as he plays hard, rebounds, can make shots, is instinctive, slashes & creates for his teammates. Averaged 16pts, 8.6rebs & 2.2asts this summer in Skopje.

sittingon50
09-25-2018, 11:48 AM
Coming this year Zd?

Zagdawg
09-25-2018, 12:35 PM

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/mikal-gjerde

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tIDUG3mi-U

sittingon50
09-25-2018, 01:18 PM
Thank you.

Hoopaholic
09-25-2018, 07:24 PM

Unc willington is scheduled to practicing there as their Court was flooded so assuming court is ok

Robzagnut
09-26-2018, 07:07 AM
They’re under some water but not bad.

The NCAA has issued a statement, "The flood has washed away all of UNC's transgressions. They start with a clean slate."

sittingon50
09-26-2018, 11:23 AM
The NCAA has issued a statement, "The flood has washed away all of UNC's transgressions. They start with a clean slate."

Whoa. The NCAA really pushed up the pace on that announcement. Usually takes them years after the actual occurrence!!

Zagdawg
10-15-2018, 08:20 AM
Possible opponent

No. 10 Auburn: How will the reigning SEC champs handle what’s returning?

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2018/10/15/2018-2019-auburn-basketball-preview/

Zagdawg
10-20-2018, 11:54 AM
Jon Rothstein

Verified account

@JonRothstein
14m14 minutes ago
More
Villanova tops North Carolina by 10 in a 50-minute scrimmage, per release. 41 for Phil Booth and 24 for Eric Paschall, including six made threes. Cam Johnson led the Tar Heels with 19.

Zagdawg
10-20-2018, 12:47 PM
Jon Rothstein

Verified account

@JonRothstein
25s26 seconds ago
More
Minnesota over Creighton by two in a closed scrimmage, per release. One good sign for the Gophers? 10 and 5 for freshman Daniel Oturu in 15 minutes.

ZagNative
10-20-2018, 12:58 PM
Thanks, Zagdawg, for your hard work in keeping up on this thread. Fun stuff!

sittingon50
10-20-2018, 07:36 PM
Thanks, Zagdawg, for your hard work in keeping up on this thread. Fun stuff!

+1

DixieZag
10-21-2018, 06:50 AM
Jon Rothstein

Verified account

@JonRothstein
14m14 minutes ago
More
Villanova tops North Carolina by 10 in a 50-minute scrimmage, per release. 41 for Phil Booth and 24 for Eric Paschall, including six made threes. Cam Johnson led the Tar Heels with 19.

Interesting.

Be silly to sleep on Nova any year. But, one thinks this year's team will play particularly inspired after being the first to lose as a one **** Bogo just noted to me, and Will also, that I got that wrong and was Virginia.

I don't think this means UNC is down in any way.

willandi
10-21-2018, 07:02 AM
Interesting.

Be silly to sleep on Nova any year. But, one thinks this year's team will play particularly inspired after being the first to lose as a one seed.

I don't think this means UNC is down in any way.

Wasn't that Virginia?

DixieZag
10-21-2018, 07:40 AM
Wasn't that Virginia?

Yeah, Bogo just reminded me.

Hey I got the "East coast starts with a "V" number one seed" part right. Aren't they all the same after that?

Dumb.

Still dumb to sleep on Nova.

RenoZag
10-21-2018, 07:54 AM
Washington and Nevada are playing an exhibition game this afternoon

From the local fish wrap:

The most-anticipated season in Nevada basketball history — perhaps in any sport, ever, at the school — begins Sunday.

The game won’t count for any standings or statistics, but the Wolf Pack’s follow-up to its historic 2017-18 season begins Sunday with a 3 p.m. exhibition against Washington at Lawlor Events Center.

“It’s been a long summer of guys really working hard, and I think they’re ready to play somebody new,” Nevada coach Eric Musselman, entering his fourth season leading the team, said Thursday. “It’s going to be a big test … for us, it’s more than a big-time challenge, because I think they’ll be a little bit further ahead than us, just based on how many guys they have returning.”

The game will be the public debut for the 2018-19 edition of the team, which is coming off a 29-8 season and an appearance in the NCAA Tournament’s Sweet 16. The Wolf Pack held a fullspeed scrimmage last week, but attendance was limited to current Nevada students. Nevada returns four starters from last season’s Mountain West championship team, including Cody Martin, Caleb Martin and Jordan Caroline, who all explored their NBA draft options before deciding to return for their senior seasons. Lindsey Drew also returns, although he is out indefinitely as he recovers from an Achilles tear suffered last season.

Those four combined to score 67 percent of the team’s points last season, led by Caleb Martin’s 18.9 ppg. Both Martins and Caroline were named to the fivemember preseason all-Mountain West team earlier this week.

Washington is coming off a 21-13 season and an NIT appearance. The Huskies are a rarity in the one-and-done, test-the-draft era, returning all five of their starters from that team.

All seats for Sunday’s game are general admission; proceeds will go to the Northern California Wildlife Relief fund and be directed to victims of the Carr Fire.

Zagdawg
10-21-2018, 03:03 PM
Mike Stefansson

@MikeStefansson
13m13 minutes ago
More
40-39, Wolf Pack at the break over UW. Most definitely doesn’t feel like an exhibition. Hoops season is here friends.

https://twitter.com/MikeStefansson/status/1054143700077428736

OntZags
10-21-2018, 03:29 PM
Apparently St.Mary's beat Stanford quite handily in a secret scrimmage. Ford racked up 43 points.

Still think SMC will be tougher than a lot here seem to believe. With a better schedule, I think they'll be in the mix for an at large spot.

Zagdawg
10-21-2018, 03:51 PM
Mike Stefansson

@MikeStefansson
6m6 minutes ago
More
Washington’s lead has swollen to 84-69. Pack doesn’t have an answer on defense. Trio of David Crisp, Matisse Thybulle & Jaylen Nowell having their way. Those guys can ball.

thespywhozaggedme
10-21-2018, 03:52 PM
Mike Stefansson

@MikeStefansson
6m6 minutes ago
More
Washington’s lead has swollen to 84-69. Pack doesn’t have an answer on defense. Trio of David Crisp, Matisse Thybulle & Jaylen Nowell having their way. Those guys can ball.

Sorry, didn't see this before I post on my thread. Mods feel free to merge. My bad

Zagdawg
10-21-2018, 03:57 PM
Stanford is predicted to finish 9th in the pac --but it is good to hear that St Marys took care of business against a team they should beat.

https://pac-12.com/article/2018/10/11/oregon-picked-pac-12-mens-basketball-preseason-favorite

Zagdawg
10-21-2018, 04:01 PM
UW with a convincing win over Nevada. 91-73 Washington may be a great game (and potential win).

Jon Rothstein

Verified account

@JonRothstein
Following Following @JonRothstein
More
Washington goes to Reno and beats Nevada in a charity exhibition by 18 WITHOUT Noah Dickerson. Mike Hopkins and company should compete for a Pac-12 regular season title.

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1054159493435678720

maynard g krebs
10-21-2018, 05:41 PM
Apparently St.Mary's beat Stanford quite handily in a secret scrimmage. Ford racked up 43 points.

Still think SMC will be tougher than a lot here seem to believe. With a better schedule, I think they'll be in the mix for an at large spot.

I think Ford has a chance to be about a third team AA, and WCC POY.

Zagdawg
10-23-2018, 03:41 PM
Jeff Goodman

Verified account

@GoodmanHoops
Following Following @GoodmanHoops
More
Stephen F. Austin beat Texas A&M in a closed scrimmage, 76-72. Could be a long long year for the Aggies.

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1054878819444842498

CDC84
10-25-2018, 02:36 PM
I was told as soon as GU signed up for the series that A&M was in rebuild mode. It must be said that SFA is one of the best mid major programs in the nation, and their success has continued under multiple head coaches.

thespywhozaggedme
10-25-2018, 04:21 PM
Jeff Goodman

Verified account

@GoodmanHoops
Following Following @GoodmanHoops
More
Stephen F. Austin beat Texas A&M in a closed scrimmage, 76-72. Could be a long long year for the Aggies.

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1054878819444842498

Someone forward this to Drew Timme ASAP. lol

Bogozags
10-25-2018, 04:53 PM
I think Ford has a chance to be about a third team AA, and WCC POY.

He is going to be one heck of a handful for our bigger guards...he is probably under 6' with a lower center of gravity and quick as a cat...

Maybe, the FBI will continue the probe and find that when Ford was recruited while at Folsom HS, he accepted a new Toyota Prius and hundreds of thousands of dollars directly from Randy Bennett to attend SMC

SLOZag
10-26-2018, 12:51 AM
He is going to be one heck of a handful for our bigger guards...he is probably under 6' with a lower center of gravity and quick as a cat...

Maybe, the FBI will continue the probe and find that when Ford was recruited while at Folsom HS, he accepted a new Toyota Prius and hundreds of thousands of dollars directly from Randy Bennett to attend SMC

If that's so, I hope they throw the book at Pacific!

bigblahla
10-26-2018, 05:17 AM
IMO, potentially the best SMC TEAM since Patty Mills was there.... maybe their fastest for overall team speed.... Ford was a handful last season and then some, fearless among the trees, can score or distribute.... they have size..... but in the past defense has been the bane for the dark horde from Moronga and I think it will be once more when playing the Zags.... Gollum's horde will surprise many, their trip down under helped them to jell as a squad.... and beating Gonzaga is their top priority.... going to be a heck of a match-up both in Spokane and Moronga... I think the Zags will be up to the task.... SMC is going to be fun to watch....I don't think BYU will be able to handle them.... if the Gaels live up to their potential and stay injury free, don't be surprised if it's a horse race and they only have two losses in conference this year....

Just my opinion...

Go Zags!!!

primal23
10-26-2018, 08:35 AM

So that’s why they can’t afford to leave California in the OOC? [emoji13]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zagdawg
10-28-2018, 06:49 AM
Jon Rothstein

Verified account

@JonRothstein
More
Source: San Diego State over USC by 16 in a Secret Scrimmage. Bennie Boatwright DNP. Trojans are banged up, only suited up six guys.

Zagdawg
10-29-2018, 10:30 AM
4. Washington has the look of a contender in Mike Hopkins’ second season
With a win over Kansas to its credit, Washington appeared poised to reach the NCAA tournament last season in Mike Hopkins’ first season at the helm. But the Huskies faltered down the stretch, landing in the Postseason NIT, meaning that the program had to wait another season to end its NCAA tournament drought. There’s a very good chance that Washington will do that this season, with its top seven scorers from 2017-18 back on campus led by sophomore guard Jaylen Nowell and senior center Noah Dickerson. Also in the rotation are senior guards David Crisp and Mathysse Thybulle, the latter being the reigning Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year, and a four-member recruiting class headlined by 6-foot-10 freshman Bryan Penn-Johnson.

With the number of players that Hopkins can call upon, including many who contributed to last season’s 21-win campaign, it’s well within reason to expect Washington to be a conference title contender. To make good on that promise the Huskies need to be better on the defensive glass (338th in defensive rebounding percentage) and shooting the basketball, as they ranked in the 200’s nationally in two-point (229th), three-point (246th) and effective field goal percentage (249th).

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2018/10/29/pac-12-conference-preview-can-the-league-rebound-from-a-disappointing-2017-18/

Also CBT Podcast: Previewing the Pac-12 Conference

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2018/10/29/cbt-podcast-previewing-the-pac-12-conference-2/

seacatfan
10-30-2018, 06:15 PM
Arizona is only a potential future opponent based on who wins in Maui. Anyway UA is on Pac 12 Network currently playing an exhibition against Western New Mexico. Cats don't have nearly as much talent as last year but I'm happy to say they are actually playing hard. Didn't see much of that last year. Brandon Williams looks good in his debut so far. 17-2 Cats early. I think WNM is D2.

Zagdawg
11-06-2018, 11:24 AM
Jon Rothstein

Verified account

@JonRothstein
1m1 minute ago
More
BYU's Dave Rose has received a contract extension through the 2020-21 season, per release. Cougars are at Nevada tonight, 11 PM ET on @CBSSportsNet.

DixieZag
11-06-2018, 12:36 PM
Jon Rothstein

Verified account

@JonRothstein
1m1 minute ago
More
BYU's Dave Rose has received a contract extension through the 2020-21 season, per release. Cougars are at Nevada tonight, 11 PM ET on @CBSSportsNet.

Weird timing.

One would think that BYU would want their options open given their lack of post season success, and it's not like schools are knocking on Rose's door.

BYU spends a whole lot of money to be going to the NIT each year ...

Zagdawg
11-06-2018, 12:38 PM
It would be nice if BYU could grab an early win against Nevada before they get all of their new pieces coordinated.

Mr Vulture
11-06-2018, 12:41 PM
It would be nice if BYU could grab an early win against Nevada before they get all of their new pieces coordinated.

Exactly, the more wins that the conference gets OOC, the better for us in the big picture.

DixieZag
11-06-2018, 12:58 PM

Agree totally. I'll be rooting them on, strangely.

Zagdawg
11-07-2018, 06:44 AM
Jon Rothstein

Verified account

@JonRothstein
More
Baylor loses a buy game to Texas Southern. The epitome of brutality.

GoZags
11-07-2018, 07:06 AM
Jon Rothstein

Verified account

@JonRothstein
More
Baylor loses a buy game to Texas Southern. The epitome of brutality.

Two things.

1. That'll leave a mark.
2. Mark won't have ANY problem getting the guy's attention this week.

Zagceo
11-07-2018, 08:17 AM
Duke had 4 turnovers with all these freshmen

no real structured plays..motion offense with 4 guys that can bring the ball up the court.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pruir1WsyuI

willandi
11-07-2018, 09:05 AM
Duke had 4 turnovers with all these freshmen

no real structured plays..motion offense with 4 guys that can bring the ball up the court.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pruir1WsyuI

I watched most of the 2nd half and it looked like Kentucky folded early. Their play was lackadaisical, uninspired and they couldn't shoot inside, outside or at the FT line. Dook MAY be that good but their opponent last night didn't show it.

Zagdawg
11-07-2018, 12:58 PM
Whicker: The coaching circle of life leads Lorenzo Romar back to Pepperdine

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/11/06/whicker-the-coaching-circle-of-life-leads-lorenzo-romar-back-to-pepperdine/

White lightning
11-09-2018, 01:21 PM
Washington vs Auburn at 6:30 pac tonight. I believe Auburn is a 10 pnt favorite. This should be a real test for both teams. It's nice to see a future opponent playing a possible future opponent if Auburn and Gonzaga make it to the finals in Maui. Unfortunately I believe a long shot for both teams expecially Auburn.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

bdmiller7
11-09-2018, 02:47 PM
Iowa State's best player Wigginton has cast on foot. Possible 2nd round match-up in Maui. Unknown what the injury is yet.

Zagdawg
11-09-2018, 02:50 PM
Alex Halsted

@AlexHalsted
Follow Follow @AlexHalsted
More
Lindell Wigginton is in a hard cast and has a scooter to get around.

Tommy Birch

Verified account

@TommyBirch
1h1 hour ago
More
Lindell Wigginton's left foot injury. It's being called a strain.

Ben R. Bergstrom

@bbergstrom21
20h20 hours ago
More
Replying to @daveymagoo
Wigginton out for at least a month

Alex Halsted

@AlexHalsted
2h2 hours ago
More
Iowa State athletic trainer Vic Miller said Lindell Wigginton has a foot strain in his left foot and is out indefinitely. Iowa State will re-check him each week. Uncertain of a timeline.

Cade Thompson

@Cade4ISU
2h2 hours ago
More
Replying to @TwinsBasilTwin
We have every right to be disappointed and worried. This season is so important. We now lost Wigginton, Lard, Talley and Young for over a month. What’s keeping you optimistic? Still have a talented roster but wow, it’s younger than last year.

Zagdawg
11-10-2018, 07:01 AM
Washington evacuates team bus after it catches fire following loss to Auburn

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2018/11/10/washington-evacuates-team-bus-after-it-catches-fire-following-loss-to-auburn/

Zagdawg
11-10-2018, 07:37 AM
Pepperdine M. Hoops

@PeppBasketball
14m14 minutes ago
More
Tonight's scheduled home game vs. CSUN has been postponed. Please keep the Malibu and Pepperdine community in your thoughts and prayers.

GonzagasaurusFlex
11-15-2018, 06:45 AM
Very interesting article in The Athletic about the Dons. They are currently 3-0 and host Arizona State this Friday night...how in the world did they get a Pac-12 school to come play in their wee little gym?

"Nerdball is ushering in a new era at resurgent San Francisco" by Brian Bennett:

The Dons track more than 50 statistical categories for each player, breaking down every possession of five-on-five practice drills. They have 12 unique stats for rebounding alone — having two feet in the paint on a rebound attempt is a big one of late. Smith assigns each category a numerical value. On defense, for example, players are scored on blow-bys (when a ballhandler beats you off the dribble) and fly-bys (when you leave your feet to allow a ballhandler to streak past) from different parts of the court. Fly-bys are obviously the worst, while blow-bys carry more punitive weight from the middle of the floor (minus-4 points) than they do on the baseline (minus-3) because of defensive help rotations.

Over time, Smith hopes the formula paints a complete, objective picture of each player and lineup. The stats get posted in the locker room every day; a player knows how he compares weekly and annually to himself and teammates. He knows exactly where he needs to improve on to earn more run.

The system is both egalitarian and more than a little esoteric. And Smith even coined a catchy nickname for it: Nerdball.

“We might as well be putting our guys out there in bifocals,” Smith says with a laugh.

Here’s something else the numbers spit out: At a long-dormant program, Nerdball is working wonders.

Zagceo
11-15-2018, 06:57 AM
The name alone could attract a wider fan base in nerdtopia.

How bout a conference rebranding changing name to “Best West Conference”?

TexasZagFan
11-15-2018, 06:58 AM
The name alone could attract a wider fan base in nerdtopia.

How bout a conference rebranding changing name to “Best West Conference”?

I don't think anyone outside of Spokane would go for "Gonzaga and the Nine Dwarves Conference", at least as far as basketball is concerned. Or just call it the G9 Conference.

Zagceo
11-15-2018, 09:29 AM
could get a shot at 3 top ten ranked teams in preseason if we make it to Maui championship....need to improve on 6-41 record.

Zagceo
11-17-2018, 05:17 AM
Built in 1940

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2018%2F1114%2Fr463809_1296x729_16 %2D9.jpg&w=1140&cquality=40

Bogozags
11-17-2018, 05:52 AM
Built in 1940

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2018%2F1114%2Fr463809_1296x729_16 %2D9.jpg&w=1140&cquality=40

and it's a hot box too!