• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jazzdelmar
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Villanova

WRIGHT: On Thursday my wife, Patty and I will leave for Rome and on Saturday we will meet the Pope. It’s really cool. The Villanova board of trustees is having their spring board meeting in Rome. They set up a meeting with the Pope, and the president, Father Peter, invited us to go. My friend from Italy gave me all the things to say. I’m really excited about it.
  • tinfoilzag
    Zag for Life
    • Jun 2009

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    WRIGHT: On Thursday my wife, Patty and I will leave for Rome and on Saturday we will meet the Pope. It’s really cool. The Villanova board of trustees is having their spring board meeting in Rome. They set up a meeting with the Pope, and the president, Father Peter, invited us to go. My friend from Italy gave me all the things to say. I’m really excited about it.
    It's like the old saying goes "If you want to meet the Pope, you need to hit your free throws."
    The quality of our thoughts and ideas can only be as good as the quality of our language.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by tinfoilzag View Post
      It's like the old saying goes "If you want to meet the Pope, you need to hit your free throws."
      But cross yourself first. Lol.

Comment

• MDABE80
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

But cross yourself first. Lol.
        Sounds reasonable.......and avert you eyes too?

Comment

• former1dog
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Wow!!!

What a blessed and fortunate opportunity for you! I’m excited for you. Put in a good word for me.

Comment

• CDC84
            Super Moderator
            • Feb 2007

With all the sleazebags that are around, it's great that a class act like Jay Wright gets this kind of opportunity. A little info on Villanova, which is, of course, a Catholic university:

Villanova University is a private research university located in Radnor Township, a suburb northwest of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, within the Archdiocese of Philadelphia in the United States. Named after Saint Thomas of Villanova, the school is the oldest catholic university in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.[4]

Founded in 1842 by the Order of Saint Augustine, the university traces its roots to old Saint Augustine's Church, Philadelphia, which the Augustinian friars founded in 1796, and to its parish school, Saint Augustine's Academy, which was established in 1811. U.S. News & World Report ranks Villanova as tied for the 46th best National University in the U.S. for 2018. The university is a member of the Augustinian Secondary Education Association.

In October 1841, two Augustinian friars from Saint Augustine's Church in Philadelphia purchased the 200-acre (81 ha) "Belle Air" estate in Radnor Township with the intention of starting a school. The school, which was called the "Augustinian College of Villanova", opened in 1842. However, the Philadelphia Nativist Riots of 1844 that burned Saint Augustine's Church in Philadelphia caused financial difficulties for the Augustinians, and the college was closed in February 1845. The college reopened in 1846 and graduated its first class in 1847. In March 1848, the governor of Pennsylvania incorporated the school and gave it the power to grant degrees. In 1859, the first master's degree was conferred on a student.[5] In 1857, the school closed again as the demand for priests in Philadelphia prevented adequate staffing, and the crisis of the Panic of 1857 strained the school financially. The school remained closed throughout the Civil War and reopened in September 1865; since then it has operated continuously.[6] Its prep department later moved to Malvern, a town along the Main Line, and is still run by the order.

The School of Technology was established in 1905. In 1915, a two-year pre-medical program was established to help students meet medical schools' new requirements. This led to a four-year pre-medical program, the B.S. in biology, and the founding of the sciences division in 1926.[citation needed]

Villanova was all-male until 1918, when the college began evening classes to educate nuns to teach in parochial schools. In 1938, a laywoman received a Villanova degree for the first time. It was not until the nursing school opened in 1953 that women permanently began attending Villanova full-time. In 1958, the College of Engineering admitted its first female student; other colleges admitted women only as commuters. Villanova University became fully coeducational in 1968.[6]

During World War II, Villanova was one of 131 colleges and universities nationally that took part in the V-12 Navy College Training Program which offered students a path to a Navy commission.[7]

After World War II, Villanova expanded, returning veterans swelling enrollments and the faculty growing fourfold. Additional facilities were built, and in 1953, the College of Nursing and the School of Law were established. Villanova achieved university status on November 18, 1953. Between 1954 and 1963, 10 new buildings were built or bought on land adjacent to the campus, including Bartley, Mendel, and Dougherty Halls.[8]

During the 1970s and 1980s, Villanova worked to become a nationally recognized university. The quality of faculty and students improved dramatically and international studies programs were introduced. Additional residential and recreational facilities were constructed, and efforts to increase the endowment were undertaken.[citation needed]

In the 1980s, endowed chairs were established in theology, philosophy, engineering, and business; scholarship funding was increased, and the curriculum expanded and improved. An extensive building campaign created facilities for the Colleges of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Engineering, Commerce, and Finance, as well as student residences on the south and the west campuses. In 1985, the school also won the Men's NCAA basketball tournament, giving the school increased national exposure.[citation needed]

Over the history of the university, it has also served as a headquarters of the Order of Saint Augustine in North America, and has provided staff to establish Catholic high schools throughout the United States, such as St. Augustine High School in San Diego, which was established in 1922 with teaching staff dispatched from Villanova.

Comment

• former1dog
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by former1dog View Post
              Wow!!!

What a blessed and fortunate opportunity for you! I’m excited for you. Put in a good word for me.
              ha! I misread the OP. I thought Jazz was going to meet the Pope

Comment

• gonstu
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by former1dog View Post
                ha! I misread the OP. I thought Jazz was going to meet the Pope
                maybe he could absolve him of any past GUB sins.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gonstu View Post
                  maybe he could absolve him of any past GUB sins.
                  10 Our Fathers, 20 Hail Marys should do it.

Comment

• U Zig, I Zag
                    Zag for Life
                    • Mar 2009

My mom was just there. Got right up to the Pope. She was overjoyed. Have fun.

Comment

Working...
                    X