PDA

View Full Version : We are Blessed

thebigsmoove
04-09-2018, 01:43 PM
Over the years I have heard many people from other fan bases talk about how lucky Gonzaga is to have such continuity at Head Coach despite its status as a non football mid major program. For the longest ive always disagreed, thinking that Gonzaga as a program began its rise under Dan Fitzgerald and continued under Dan Monson and Mark Few. While this is true, it is not necessarily false to think Gonzaga has been lucky to keep Mark Few as long as we have. It certainly speaks to his loyalty to the program, and love for the Inland Northwest. One metric many people look at for coaches is salary, i went ahead and took the liberty of reviewing Gonzaga's 990 tax documents from 2001-2016 (https://projects.propublica.org/nonprofits/organizations/910236600) (only years available) and tabled the data for Coach Few's salaries, added in a percentage change column and estimated his current salary. Results below:

https://image.ibb.co/irL5Mc/markfew.jpg

If Coach Few's current contract were to net him annual 16% increases, he would actually rank #14 now among all head coaches right behind Gregg Marshall based on this list from USA today (http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/). He shows up as #50 but that is based on his last known reported salary from the 2015 season (reported on the 2016 990 Tax document). I believe this is fair and commensurate with the status of Gonzaga's program, but certainly looking back through the years, he could have made much more by leaving and going to other major programs.

One interesting side note, Tommy Lloyd was briefly listed on the 2015 990, Schedule J form as making $255,403 but was left off the 2016 990, Schedule J form. I wonder why he was only listed in 2015 and whether his salary will continue to grow as he has become more and more valuable and more heavily courted by outside programs.

MDABE80
04-09-2018, 02:10 PM
Lotta loot. Tommy should be making $500 K or more . I don't know why people are so interested in someone else's salary unless they're paying it.

thebigsmoove
04-09-2018, 02:13 PM
Lotta loot. Tommy should be making $500 K or more . I don't know why people are so interested in someone else's salary unless they're paying it.

Agreed on Tommy. As far as interest in salary, Mark Few making more says a lot about the general health of our Basketball program.

MDABE80
04-09-2018, 02:23 PM
I don't think so. Wins dictate the health. Displaying salaries seems a bit "unseemly" and a wee slimy but that's just my opinion. I guess it's how I was raised. If I'm not paying for a man's labor, I don't think it's anybody's business what some guy makes. Obviously the scribes do. No worries.

zagdontzig
04-09-2018, 03:41 PM
I don't think so. Wins dictate the health. Displaying salaries seems a bit "unseemly" and a wee slimy but that's just my opinion. I guess it's how I was raised. If I'm not paying for a man's labor, I don't think it's anybody's business what some guy makes. Obviously the scribes do. No worries.

I get what you're saying, but money is a very strong indicator of program health and more importantly, stability.

MDABE80
04-09-2018, 03:51 PM
Coaches' salary is? I'd go with the schedule and the wins..........but to each his own. Lotsa big time salaries and money spent for programs way outside the top 20. Might be a sensitive index but surely not a specific indicator for any program. To each his own though..

thebigsmoove
04-10-2018, 05:54 AM
Coaches' salary is? I'd go with the schedule and the wins..........but to each his own. Lotsa big time salaries and money spent for programs way outside the top 20. Might be a sensitive index but surely not a specific indicator for any program. To each his own though..

I think you are focused on the results on the court, and thats fine. But how much money the program makes, how much of a brand the program has, how willing the program is to pay its coaches both head and assistant dictate continued success over the long haul. Thats what im referring to. Programs that pay coaches less are generally less successful. Ask Nevada fans how confident they are to keep Eric Musselman after next year? Ask them how much of a struggle its been to get some of his boxes checked (Chartered flights, new facilities, more pay for his assistants, etc.) These things really matter in the grand spectrum of things and ultimately separate the good programs from the bad ones historically.

kitzbuel
04-10-2018, 08:29 AM
Over the years I have heard many people from other fan bases talk about how lucky Gonzaga is to have such continuity at Head Coach despite its status as a non football mid major program. For the longest ive always disagreed, thinking that Gonzaga as a program began its rise under Dan Fitzgerald and continued under Dan Monson and Mark Few. While this is true, it is not necessarily false to think Gonzaga has been lucky to keep Mark Few as long as we have. It certainly speaks to his loyalty to the program, and love for the Inland Northwest. One metric many people look at for coaches is salary, i went ahead and took the liberty of reviewing Gonzaga's 990 tax documents from 2001-2016 (https://projects.propublica.org/nonprofits/organizations/910236600) (only years available) and tabled the data for Coach Few's salaries, added in a percentage change column and estimated his current salary. Results below:

https://image.ibb.co/irL5Mc/markfew.jpg

If Coach Few's current contract were to net him annual 16% increases, he would actually rank #14 now among all head coaches right behind Gregg Marshall based on this list from USA today (http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/). He shows up as #50 but that is based on his last known reported salary from the 2015 season (reported on the 2016 990 Tax document). I believe this is fair and commensurate with the status of Gonzaga's program, but certainly looking back through the years, he could have made much more by leaving and going to other major programs.

One interesting side note, Tommy Lloyd was briefly listed on the 2015 990, Schedule J form as making $255,403 but was left off the 2016 990, Schedule J form. I wonder why he was only listed in 2015 and whether his salary will continue to grow as he has become more and more valuable and more heavily courted by outside programs.

That is not salary, that is total compensation.

thebigsmoove
04-10-2018, 09:02 AM
That is not salary, that is total compensation.

I believe most reported Coaches earnings are in the form of total compensation, excuse my syntactical error.