PDA

View Full Version : How much PT will Petrusev get?

tyra
04-08-2018, 07:01 PM
Based on what we know now, which is limited, how much playing time do you think Petrusev will get this year? And do any of you think he will make a material contribution this year (more than garbage minutes and quality albeit limited contribution)?

Markburn1
04-08-2018, 07:21 PM
Based on what we know now, which is limited, how much playing time do you think Petrusev will get this year? And do any of you think he will make a material contribution this year (more than garbage minutes and quality albeit limited contribution)?

Too many unknowns, the most significant being the decision that Tillie makes. Secondarily, the maturation of his body is a big factor in the jump to D1 basketball.

I would hope Tillie returns and Petrusev has time to work on his game and his body before being thrown into a situation that will include top tier competition almost immediately in Maui.

Zagdawg
04-08-2018, 07:27 PM
Agree--- would love for him to have a year to work with Tillie -- they seem to have similar games.

Ezag
04-08-2018, 08:01 PM
Won't know until we know. We thought Jesse would be able to come in a provide solid PG back up minutes but that didn't happen.

cggonzaga
04-08-2018, 09:14 PM
10mpg if Rui plays 4. 15mpg if Rui plays the 3.

WallaWallaZag
04-08-2018, 10:45 PM
status of tillie the biggest factor...next would be his own development combined with if zags get 'nova larsen or wcc version of larsen.

Zagger
04-09-2018, 04:07 AM
I'd guess it's at least a 75/25 bet Tillie returns. Wouldn't surprise me if Petrusev sees some decent floor time. With Rui a sure thing, Larsen improving I think we'll have both an excellent and a deep team. No better way to keep all that talent happy, and ready, than to rotate them in a bit. The Zags are going to be quite deep. We may not see many Zags getting close to 40 min games next season.

FlyZag
04-09-2018, 06:14 AM
My guess... ZERO, he is a strong redshirt candidate. Larsen, Tillie, Hachimura & Clarke all in front of him on the depth chart. If Tillie leaves.. then he will get up to 10m / game much like Larsen this year.

TexasZagFan
04-09-2018, 06:42 AM
My guess... ZERO, he is a strong redshirt candidate. Larsen, Tillie, Hachimura & Clarke all in front of him on the depth chart. If Tillie leaves.. then he will get up to 10m / game much like Larsen this year.

Sorry, but top 50 recruits generally don't redshirt, except for medical reasons. He'll earn as many minutes as the coaches decide. I expect that his will be in the range of 15-20 mpg, depending on how Tillie is playing, or Killian's foul situation.

Just pondering, but here's my breakout based on everyone returning:

5: Larson - 24, others 16
4: Tillie - 25, Clarke 15
3: Rui - 30, others 10
2: Norvell - 30, others 10
1: Perkins - 30, others 10

46 minutes for "others", such as Ayayi, Filip, Kispert...maybe less for Larson. Pretty solid 8-9 man rotation IMO.

Zagcity
04-09-2018, 06:47 AM
One little tweak:

5: Clarke - 24, Larson 15
4: Tillie - 25, others 16

caldwellzag
04-09-2018, 06:57 AM
Sorry, but top 50 recruits generally don't redshirt, except for medical reasons. He'll earn as many minutes as the coaches decide. I expect that his will be in the range of 15-20 mpg, depending on how Tillie is playing, or Killian's foul situation.

46 minutes for "others", such as Ayayi, Filip, Kispert...maybe less for Larson. Pretty solid 8-9 man rotation IMO.

I hope that Larson breaks out and starts at the 5, that would put us over the top, but my guess is Tillie and Clarke start with Larson and Filip coming off the bench.

Sandpointzagsfan
04-09-2018, 07:22 AM
I think he will receive the minutes Tillie got as a freshman.

Zaga
04-09-2018, 07:25 AM

I agree with you Fly if there are no major injuries.

TexasZagFan
04-09-2018, 07:45 AM
One little tweak:

5: Clarke - 24, others 16
4: Tillie - 25, Larson 15

IMO, Larson is our only true 5. We are awash at the 4, with Brandon, Tillie, and Filip. That makes the case for these three taking the bulk of the minutes at the 4/5, much like we had with J3, Killian, and Rui. Rui's natural position is the 3, that's where his minutes will come from next year.

In that regard, I really cringe for the rest of the WCC. Rui's my pick for WCC POY next year.

caldwellzag
04-09-2018, 08:10 AM
IMO, Larson is our only true 5. We are awash at the 4, with Brandon, Tillie, and Filip. That makes the case for these three taking the bulk of the minutes at the 4/5, much like we had with J3, Killian, and Rui. Rui's natural position is the 3, that's where his minutes will come from next year.

In that regard, I really cringe for the rest of the WCC. Rui's my pick for WCC POY next year.

I agree he is our only true 5, but not sure we will run an offense that needs a true 5.

I am 100% with you that the rest of the WCC should cringe when/if Tillie returns (heck they should anyways).

FlyZag
04-09-2018, 08:17 AM

Well... first of all, I don't believe he's a top 50 recruit. 247 has him at 67.. close, but still not top 50. Second, it all depends on who is on the team depth chart. In a normal year, I agree with you. BUT it just so happens that we are pretty stacked at his position (assuming Tillie returns). The decision will be his... much like the decision was Rui's. Silas Melson was rated similar to Petrusev, he was slated to redshirt because of Pangos/Bell/Perkins.. of course the injury to Perkins changed that, but the point still stands. It's not the ranking or talent, it's the depth and experience of the players in front of them.

GU has a history of redshirting players who redshirted not exclusively due to injury, rather because of players on the depth chart in front of them:

Zach Norvell
Sam Dower
Ryan Edwards
Kyle Dranginis
David Stockton
Kelly Olynyk
Mike Hart
Rob Sacre
Grant Gibbs
Andy Poling
Bol Kong
Josh Heytvelt
Abdulli Kuso
Larry Gurganious
Theo Davis
Sean Mallon
JP Batista
Calum MacLeod
Kyle Bankhead
Zach Gourde
Matt Santangelo

kitzbuel
04-09-2018, 08:45 AM
I agree he is our only true 5, but not sure we will run an offense that needs a true 5.

I am 100% with you that the rest of the WCC should cringe when/if Tillie returns (heck they should anyways).

I think Few would love to run the offense through the 5 if he could, it opens up a lot more options especially when you have an offense that doesn't have to rely on that; more options are harder to defend. That I think, however, is going to be driven by Larsen's health.

titopoet
04-09-2018, 08:49 AM
As much as he earns.

amaronizag
04-09-2018, 09:04 AM
ESPN, Scout, 247, etc, list Fillip as a center with reported heights ranging from 6'9" -6'10". The Spokesman Review lists him as a forward with height 6'11". Where Few will choose to play him depends on who stays, who leaves, how Larsen and Kispert heal/develop, and who we add at the 1/2 in the next 2 months. But I sure don't see Fillip relegated to "garbage minutes." I would love to see him as part of a 4/5 tag-team that comes in in relief, like the Collins/Tillie substitution combo that worked so well for us, or as part of a 3/4 relief combo, but he will get minutes even if it's just as a sub and not necessarily part of a combo. Hopefully he adds the depth in the paint we were missing last year.

bdmiller7
04-09-2018, 09:28 AM
Well... first of all, I don't believe he's a top 50 recruit. 247 has him at 67.. close, but still not top 50. Second, it all depends on who is on the team depth chart. In a normal year, I agree with you. BUT it just so happens that we are pretty stacked at his position (assuming Tillie returns). The decision will be his... much like the decision was Rui's. Silas Melson was rated similar to Petrusev, he was slated to redshirt because of Pangos/Bell/Perkins.. of course the injury to Perkins changed that, but the point still stands. It's not the ranking or talent, it's the depth and experience of the players in front of them.

GU has a history of redshirting players who redshirted not exclusively due to injury, rather because of players on the depth chart in front of them:

Zach Norvell
Sam Dower
Ryan Edwards
Kyle Dranginis
David Stockton
Kelly Olynyk
Mike Hart
Rob Sacre
Grant Gibbs
Andy Poling
Bol Kong
Josh Heytvelt
Abdulli Kuso
Larry Gurganious
Theo Davis
Sean Mallon
JP Batista
Calum MacLeod
Kyle Bankhead
Zach Gourde
Matt Santangelo

Silas was right around 250 on most recruiting sights, not 50. None of those players listed were as highly rated as Petrusev. Some were ready and were injured like Sacre and Norvell. Some of those players mentioned are walk-ons.

MDABE80
04-09-2018, 09:43 AM
Depending on his skill level during the season, I'm thinking something like Tillie in the 2017-18 FF season. Rotating 4 bigs worked well. If Filip is super skilled by mid season, he'll get more clock. I doubt he'll be ready to go at the beginning of the year.

Mr Vulture
04-09-2018, 09:55 AM

If I had to break it down right now:

4/5: Clarke - 25 Tillie - 25, Petrusev - 15, Larsen - 10
3: Rui - 25 (some at 4/5), Kispert - 20
2: Norvell - 25, Kispert 10
1: Perkins - 35, Norvell - 5
Others: Ayayi/Wade/Jones - 5

hooter73
04-09-2018, 10:41 AM
I think he will receive the minutes Tillie got as a freshman.

Probably this, but IMO it all depends on if Larsen can click the on switch or not.

FlyZag
04-09-2018, 11:00 AM
Silas was right around 250 on most recruiting sights, not 50. None of those players listed were as highly rated as Petrusev. Some were ready and were injured like Sacre and Norvell. Some of those players mentioned are walk-ons.

Josh Heytvelt was ranked 86, #3 in WA, he red-shirted because of the players in front of him. Ronny Turiaf, JP Batista, Sean Mallon, were going to gobble the minutes.
https://247sports.com/Player/Josh-Heytvelt-67800
He played professionally for 8 years. Scout 4*

Zach Norvell- red-shirted not because of his knee.. yes he had a minor knee issue early in the season, but he chose to red-shirt because, Josh Perkins, Nigel Williams-Goss, Silas Melson, & Jordan Mathews were going to take all of the minutes. Why waste a year of eligibility for 4 min / game only in blowouts.

Ryan Edwards- Red-shirted because Big Shem, Witjer, Sabonis and Nunez were scheduled to take all the minutes. (3 of these are now playing professionally)

Kelly Olynyk - Red-shirted because he was unhappy with the playing time he was getting because Rob, Sacre, Sam Dower, & Elias Harris were getting his minutes, add new recruit Ryan Spangler to fight him for minutes and he chose to redshirt so the following year he could take Sacre's min after he graduated. (Olynyk is still playing in the NBA)

Sam Dower - Red-shirted because Sacre, Foster, Harris, Olynyk and Andy Poling were taking his potential minutes.

Grant Gibbs - Red-shirted because Bouldin, Pargo, Downs, Gray and Goodsen were going to take his minutes...

I could go on... Yes, these players aren't rated as high as Petrusev. But that doesn't change the fact that he will be fighting for minutes. Clarke, Tillie, Larsen, Hachimura will ALL play big minutes.. so Petrusev will have to decide to do what the players listed above have done... OR do what Hachimura did... waste a year because you know you are NBA bound regardless. Assuming Tillie returns, I believe Petrusev is a strong RS candidate.

zag buddy
04-09-2018, 11:04 AM
I was really confused why Larsen was not a bigger part of the rotation this year. When he played by an large he exceeded my expectations but still did not get much playing time. compared to other 7 footers we have had he performed very well for a freshman.

Zagdawg
04-09-2018, 11:07 AM
Injury issue

maynard g krebs
04-09-2018, 12:49 PM
Fifteen minutes per, + or -.

zag67
04-09-2018, 01:27 PM
I think if he shows he can help the team win games then he will play his 5 to 15 minutes a game. At times he seemed slow, but he was on such an athletic team it would be hard not to. Since I think he will not be here five years, then the experience he can gain this year will help in his following years. But if it is decided he is missing strength, then he might be a candidate for red shirt.