PDA

View Full Version : Rui is returning!

Radbooks
04-08-2018, 10:00 AM
Lots of notes on Twitter:

Jim Meehan
‏ @SRJimm
4m4 minutes ago

Rui Hachimura is returning for his junior season at Gonzaga.

Lindsay Joy
‏ @SWXLindsayJoy
3m3 minutes ago

Big news for Gonzaga: Rui Hachimura plans to return to school for his junior season, won’t declare for the NBA draft

Radbooks
04-08-2018, 10:02 AM
Note from the GoZags website:

http://www.gozags.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/040818aaa.html

“I’m excited to come back to Gonzaga next season,” Hachimura said. “I appreciate everything I have learned from the coaching staff, and look forward to learning more and growing my game. I’m excited to have another season with my teammates in front of Zag nation.”

primal23
04-08-2018, 10:03 AM
Great news!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZagzKrak
04-08-2018, 10:03 AM
While I'm thrilled he is coming back I'm a bit surprised that he wouldn't go to the combine and see what the scouts say he should work on.

23dpg
04-08-2018, 10:04 AM
Just got the espn update!
Great news!!

Zagceo
04-08-2018, 10:07 AM
one down

Hachimura is ranked as the No. 58 prospect in the ESPN Top 100 but is considered to have significant potential for improvement. He is projected as the No. 14 pick in ESPN's 2019 mock draft.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/23078639/rui-hachimura-returning-gonzaga-bulldogs-junior-season

GonzagasaurusFlex
04-08-2018, 10:12 AM
While I'm thrilled he is coming back I'm a bit surprised that he wouldn't go to the combine and see what the scouts say he should work on.

Think I read or inferred from some other thread that playing for Japan this summer is important for Rui. Maybe NBA combine would conflict w that?

Smart decision to return Rui. Thrilled to have you for another season.

thespywhozaggedme
04-08-2018, 10:13 AM
one down

Look at milehigh's post in the Josh thread. I think it's safe to say that he is coming back too!

Radbooks
04-08-2018, 10:16 AM
ESPN also has a story on his decision to return:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/23078639/rui-hachimura-returning-gonzaga-bulldogs-junior-season

sittingon50
04-08-2018, 10:25 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMRrNY0pxfM

ZagMan in Philly
04-08-2018, 10:26 AM
He will bring his roommates with him.

raise the zag
04-08-2018, 10:26 AM
Although we knew and expected it, still great to officially hear it! Great news.

Perkins we expected although had begun looking into his career afterward.

Crossing my fingers with Tillie. Really no word.

His brother wants him to go pro, and believes he is ready, but it's Tillie's decision.

We were told he was in contact w/NBA scouts in January, and was questionable to return at that time. He had received some hype and press.

His NCAA Tournament was abysmal. And an injury we don't know the extent of and neither does the NBA.

Could influence his final decision.

Rui mostly made his decision with Coaches consulting, Tillie said probably not coaches (actually pointed this out when asked by NCAA reporter), and would consult his family.

I could see his decision as last minute.

Excited to watch Rui dominate for one more year!

MDABE80
04-08-2018, 10:41 AM
Pro volleyball maybe. Tillie has yet to show he has a consistent motor and prove he can make it through a full season. Looks like he's injury prone even though he played in most games this year. I like the kid but the scouts must have similar
Concerns. He needs to prove things this year. IMO.

VinnyZag
04-08-2018, 10:46 AM
I love Tillie's game and I hope he comes back. But even if he doesn't, a lineup of Norvell, Hachimura, Perkins, Clarke and Kispert, with Petrusev and others off the bench, is good enough to be a legit Final Four contender. Rui was the key guy we needed back, I think.

cggonzaga
04-08-2018, 11:15 AM
I love Tillie's game and I hope he comes back. But even if he doesn't, a lineup of Norvell, Hachimura, Perkins, Clarke and Kispert, with Petrusev and others off the bench, is good enough to be a legit Final Four contender. Rui was the key guy we needed back, I think.

Agreed.

Sound Voltex
04-08-2018, 11:17 AM
Smart choice. Hope the response from Japanese media and community will also be positive. (it's still 4:00am over there so nothing from them yet.)

Also secretly hoping Zags and Portland play each other at least once next year so our Tahirou Diabate can have a chance to play against Rui again to decide the best player from Japan in the WCC.

JPtheBeasta
04-08-2018, 11:33 AM
Pro volleyball maybe. Tillie has yet to show he has a consistent motor and prove he can make it through a full season. Looks like he's injury prone even though he played in most games this year. I like the kid but the scouts must have similar
Concerns. He needs to prove things this year. IMO.

I agree. I have had the pro volleyball thought multiple times but was afraid to say it because I thought it would sound too critical. He is a game-changer when playing effectively, which is what is so nerve racking and disappointing when he disappears. If this is due to injury, that raises another concern (above and beyond mental toughness/motor). I wouldn't be surprised if the professionals want to see him go a full season without injury before investing money in him, but I really know nothing about that side of things.

Losing both Rui and Tillie would have been a bitter pill to swallow. A back court of Rui and Clarke, with Petrusev and Larsen for depth seems more than serviceable to me. Tillie would be icing on the cake (perhaps mousse is more appropriate).

MDABE80
04-08-2018, 11:38 AM
I'm gratified Rui San is returning. He's quite the fine player with a very bright future. When he's in his element he's spectacular! Last year I always waiting for him to do something that got
Me out of my chair. He delivered often. FSU was just too long for him. His distance shooting needs to improve as does his rebounding. This year will be a great growth year for him.

zagbeliever
04-08-2018, 11:39 AM
Happy dance! So glad he is returning and I truly believe it is his best interest too. He is on the edge of becoming super special.

jazzdelmar
04-08-2018, 11:51 AM
Rui makes me smile. His joy is contagious. Sabonis did, too. Great he’s back, and saying all the right things.

zagfan1
04-08-2018, 02:07 PM
Tillie is the key more so than Rui. We need a big to extend the defense (Florida State). Petrusev hasn’t proven himself yet.

Zagdawg
04-08-2018, 02:19 PM
Great news! For sure bigs -- Petrusev, Rui, Clarke, Larsen and add in maybe Tillie-- we have the potential to be in much better shape for bigs than last year.

Zags11
04-08-2018, 02:46 PM
Sweet!

kitzbuel
04-08-2018, 03:32 PM
Rui confirmed it himself on Twitter: https://twitter.com/rui_8mura/status/983046266266337280?s=19

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Reborn
04-08-2018, 04:07 PM
Rui makes me smile. His joy is contagious. Sabonis did, too. Great hes back, and saying all the right things.

This. You said exactly what I wanted to say, Jazz.

BULLDOG#1
04-08-2018, 04:35 PM
this is great news. Rui is so fun to watch. I see him as an NBA player, but not yet.

If Tillie comes back and Clarke is as good as advertised and key contributors (Norvell, Kispert... et all) continue to develop, then dare I say we are a true contender for it all next year? This will be a team with very few flaws and great veteran leadership. If Ayayi and Petrusev come in ready to contribute (would not surprise me), then all the better. What a stacked team -- and they're accustomed to playing together. Rui, Tillie, Perkins, Clarke, and Norvell all have the goods to be WCC MVP.

just excellent news. Come on Tillie!

Martin Centre Mad Man
04-08-2018, 04:44 PM
https://thespun.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/gonzaga-775x465.png

thespywhozaggedme
04-08-2018, 05:35 PM
this is great news. Rui is so fun to watch. I see him as an NBA player, but not yet.

If Tillie comes back and Clarke is as good as advertised and key contributors (Norvell, Kispert... et all) continue to develop, then dare I say we are a true contender for it all next year? This will be a team with very few flaws and great veteran leadership. If Ayayi and Petrusev come in ready to contribute (would not surprise me), then all the better. What a stacked team -- and they're accustomed to playing together. Rui, Tillie, Perkins, Clarke, and Norvell all have the goods to be WCC MVP.

Our entire starting five could quite possibly make the first team all WCC. That would be a hysterically awesome!

HillZag
04-08-2018, 05:35 PM
one down

Exactly! A Tillie return as well would be incredible. Even with Rui coming back, there's a great core returning.

Murphy outgo lifer
04-08-2018, 06:00 PM

Completely agree about the possibilities of next year's team if Tillie returns. However, our weakness would be the same as last year, lack of depth at PG. I love the idea of a high-level PG that can create their own shot and let Perkins spend some time as the second PG to allow him to take full advantage of his shooting. The NWG/Perkins formula would work perfectly on next year's squad where they both share the duties. Brandon Williams would have been perfect but that does not look promising at the moment so hopefully the staff can bring in someone that is ready to roll from day 1.

They were unable to find someone last offseason but they really need to bring someone in to give us our best shot next season. If they do I really like our chances as we have a crazy amount of talent.

katman50
04-08-2018, 07:00 PM
Since we are celebrating Rui's return next year, you gotta watch this clip of Rui against Ohio State. A great clip! That guy is so damn fluid! A pleasure to watch his development.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ2RMjxU4M0

WallaWallaZag
04-08-2018, 10:37 PM
if he can start knocking down his threes he'll become a superstar next year...he's already damn good. he also needs to learn to take advantage of his athletic ability more, go over people instead of trying to go through people...get rid of the power layups and start dunking anywhere near the rim.

ZagsGoZags
04-09-2018, 01:58 AM
Hi Voltex, I hope the Japanese media will recognize the wisdom of Rui's decision also. Because GU declared for the WCC this coming season, there is no need to secretly hope they will play University of Portland. They will play their usual home and home. Also I am not sure those two games will decide which is the better player from Japan. Personally I would judge the better Japanese player, Rui or Tahirou, by their performance over a whole season rather than just two games.
If I had to get one back Rui or Killian, I would have picked Rui. Like someone already said, if Killian returns it will be frosting on the cake.
After another year of growing in the game, and playing against top teams (when we do) he will learn how to handle his body and shot making better around tall quick defenders.

Zagger
04-09-2018, 03:54 AM
素晴らしい!

Go Zags!

Zagger
04-09-2018, 04:00 AM
Since we are celebrating Rui's return next year, you gotta watch this clip of Rui against Ohio State. A great clip! That guy is so damn fluid! A pleasure to watch his development.

That was sweet. Loved beating Ohio twice this season :)
It's shaping up to be a fun 18-19!

Marconi
04-09-2018, 07:19 AM
When Rui came off the bench this year, I couldn't help but think of Few acting as Zues uttering the words "Release the Kraken!"
When Rui was "released" he would often reek havoc on lesser opponents that had no idea what just hit them. I think the Kennel cry for next year should be - "Release the Rui!"

23dpg
04-09-2018, 07:38 AM
Early 2019 Mock draft has Rui going 4th. It also has Killian in the first round.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2019mock_draft

TexasZagFan
04-09-2018, 07:39 AM
When Rui came off the bench this year, I couldn't help but think of Few acting as Zues uttering the words "Release the Kraken!"
When Rui was "released" he would often reek havoc on lesser opponents that had no idea what just hit them. I think the Kennel cry for next year should be - "Release the Rui!"

lol, Rui's going to start and get 30+ minutes a game.

ETA: against most of the WCC, it wasn't even fair when he entered the game. So few teams had any answer to Rui, he was so much better.

CDC84
04-09-2018, 08:54 AM
As I have been saying all along, during the WCC tourney in Vegas, Few approached the ESPN guys and told them that Rui wasn't close to being ready for the NBA and that he was too raw. There were also language issues still. It's the first time I ever recall him doing something like this regarding one of his players who clearly has a NBA future. I don't feel he would've said those things unless he knew Rui was coming back. Also, Rui said to NBA draft guru Sam Vecenie three times that he was on the three year plan still and would very, very, very likely come back. The decision is hardly a surprise, but still, as a fan it's comforting that it's official now. And honestly, it's best for him. If he really, really works hard this offseason, he has a chance to get near or into the lottery in 2019.

He and Zach could be a special set of wings. Not many teams will have two better ones on their team (of course Rui will probably play some at the 4 as well).

sittingon50
04-09-2018, 10:27 AM
Hi Voltex, I hope the Japanese media will recognize the wisdom of Rui's decision also. Because GU declared for the WCC this coming season, there is no need to secretly hope they will play University of Portland. They will play their usual home and home.

Don't think that is the case ZGZ. With the scheduling concessions that the WCC made, the # 1 & #2 teams (GU & SMC) will only play the #9 & #10 teams (Portland & Pepperdine) one time each; one on the road, the other at home. At least, that is my understanding

Grand Valley Zag
04-09-2018, 02:08 PM
Thank you very ました!

jazzdelmar
04-09-2018, 02:20 PM
Early 2019 Mock draft has Rui going 4th. It also has Killian in the first round.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2019mock_draft

Geez. Keep that on the QT for a few months.

23dpg
04-09-2018, 03:50 PM
Geez. Keep that on the QT for a few months.

I took it as a small indicication that Tillie might in fact be coming back.

Reborn
04-09-2018, 08:01 PM
Completely agree about the possibilities of next year's team if Tillie returns. However, our weakness would be the same as last year, lack of depth at PG. I love the idea of a high-level PG that can create their own shot and let Perkins spend some time as the second PG to allow him to take full advantage of his shooting. The NWG/Perkins formula would work perfectly on next year's squad where they both share the duties. Brandon Williams would have been perfect but that does not look promising at the moment so hopefully the staff can bring in someone that is ready to roll from day 1.

They were unable to find someone last offseason but they really need to bring someone in to give us our best shot next season. If they do I really like our chances as we have a crazy amount of talent.

Ayayi

JPtheBeasta
04-10-2018, 07:05 AM
Ayayi

I’m excited to see him play. Quick like Demetri Goodson but longer? He has aspirations to go to the NBA, so I’m hoping there’s something there. Even a Euro pro-level talent would get the job done. I’ve heard people say he’s more of a combo guard, but that might be enough along side Norvell’s playmaking. I think he’d have to be a bit more PG-oriented than Silas, though. for it to work.

MontanaCoyote
04-10-2018, 08:42 AM

At his best reminds me of Elgin Baylor who got more out of his 6’ 5” than any other player in basketball history. You can see Elgin in some old, grainy video dunking right over both Wilt and Bill Russell.

With 3 inches on Elgin, if Rui learns, as WallaWallaZag says, to “go OVER people instead of trying to go through people”, he can become a regular on highlight videos just about every time he plays.

I can hardly wait.

Murphy outgo lifer
04-10-2018, 09:09 AM
Ayayi

In my opinion, Joel Ayayi is the perfect 3 or SG for Mark Few in a 3 guard lineup. He is long quick and athletic with good vision and passing skills and above all a potential lock down defender. His defense as of now will earn him playing time but from what others have posted he is still very young and raw with the need to continue to adapt to the American game. In his own words he needs to continue to develop his dribbling and 3 pointing skills.

If his offense repertoire and his dribbling skills improve I can picture him in the future playing the off-guard with Kispert at the 3. However, I don't think that the coaches plan is to have Ayayi be the main Point Guard going forward; maybe back-up eventually but not as of now.

The staff had offered pure point guard types with scoring ability like Akinjo, Williams, Carr, and Aaron Calixte because we need a back-up this year and we need a true 1 going forward after Perks leaves.

Zagceo
04-10-2018, 10:13 AM
Joel is young and under developed...same height as Zach 36 lbs lighter needs

Brian Pete has him by 20 lbs -4 inches

I know roster figures aren’t 100%...still...

Curious how he holds up in practice.

ZagMan in Philly
04-11-2018, 10:02 AM
Killie is coming back per Meehan...

primal23
04-11-2018, 10:04 AM
Killie is coming back per Meehan...
@SRJimm
Forward Killian Tillie is returning to Gonzaga for his junior season. Rui Hachimura announced Sunday he's coming back, too. Zags should have one of the top frontcourts in college basketball next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk