PDA

View Full Version : New Media Rights Deal

thebigsmoove
04-04-2018, 01:29 PM
ESPN and the Ivy League just announced a 10 year deal to air all 1100 sporting events on their new premium ESPN+ platform for a subscription fee of $4.99 a month. Do you think the new WCC ESPN deal might mirror this?

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/23030560/ivy-league-espn-announce-10-year-deal-network-air-sporting-events-espn+

jazzdelmar
04-04-2018, 01:38 PM
ESPN and the Ivy League just announced a 10 year deal to air all 1100 sporting events on their new premium ESPN+ platform for a subscription fee of $4.99 a month. Do you think the new WCC ESPN deal might mirror this?

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/23030560/ivy-league-espn-announce-10-year-deal-network-air-sporting-events-espn+

Great breakthrough. And starting from the top.

Zagceo
04-06-2018, 08:17 AM
could be WCC model

https://www.ivyleaguenetwork.com/packages

GUDan07
04-06-2018, 08:25 AM
Man, this would be fantastic. GU games are 100% the reason I have had a cable subscription.

thespywhozaggedme
04-06-2018, 08:27 AM
Man, this would be fantastic. GU games are 100% the reason I have had a cable subscription.

$5/month to watch us destroy inferior competition? I don't think that's a good business model at all.

strikenowhere
04-06-2018, 08:29 AM
$5/month to watch us destroy inferior competition? I don't think that's a good business model at all.

Its a good model for me - I've been saying for a long time that I would have no problem whatsoever shelling out money to watch the Zags on a single consistently quality platform. The best part is you can just cancel after the regular season/WCC tournament are over until the next season!

Coach Crazy
04-06-2018, 08:39 AM

If this is what ESPN is settling for, they are really hurting.

JPtheBeasta
04-06-2018, 08:44 AM

If you can’t find other reasons to watch each game then you could consider routing for a different team in a more interesting league and sparing us from having to read comments like the above. I feel like I’m being trolled and I don’t understand where you are coming from at all.

Tmac5360
04-06-2018, 08:49 AM
If you can’t find other reasons to watch each game then you could consider routing for a different team in a more interesting league and sparing us from having to read comments like the above. I feel like I’m being trolled and I don’t understand where you are coming from at all.

Totally agree. You don’t seem to enjoy much of anything Spy guy. Pre season number 1 seed. So stupid!! All the WCC you can handle, terrible idea. Root for a different team or conference.

thespywhozaggedme
04-06-2018, 08:57 AM

Ah yes, the inevitable, "I'm a better fan than you" post. Never gets old. My apologies for having an opinion that differs from yours. I'll do better next time, I promise.

thespywhozaggedme
04-06-2018, 08:58 AM
Totally agree. You don’t seem to enjoy much of anything Spy guy. Pre season number 1 seed. So stupid!! All the WCC you can handle, terrible idea. Root for a different team or conference.

Please forgive me for not thinking the same way you do about a particular subject. I will try and do better next time, I promise.

Tmac5360
04-06-2018, 08:59 AM
Ah yes, the inevitable, "I'm a better fan than you" post. Never gets old. My apologies for having an opinion that differs from yours. I'll do better next time, I promise.

Nobody said they are better than you. Just tired of you #####ing about everything. Including how we are better fans than you. Nobody said that, At All.

thespywhozaggedme
04-06-2018, 09:05 AM
Nobody said they are better than you. Just tired of you #####ing about everything. Including how we are better fans than you. Nobody said that, At All.

Implying that someone root for a different team simply because they don't agree with you on a particular subject is saying just that. But you have shown me the error of my ways, and I'm sorry for having a differing opinion and will try to do better next time. I promise.

JPtheBeasta
04-06-2018, 10:05 AM

I didn’t say that I’m a better fan than you. You definitely are a different type of fan than me. Maybe you are the norm and I am an outlier. If I am way off base I am willing to accept that. I don’t want to pile on, but will just say that my perception is that you have a great deal of frustration due to trying to fit a round GU peg into the square hole of what you wish they were.

thespywhozaggedme
04-06-2018, 10:07 AM
I didn’t say that I’m a better fan than you. You definitely are a different type of fan than me. Maybe you are the norm and I am an outlier. If I am way off base I am willing to accept that. I don’t want to pile on, but will just say that my perception is that you have a great deal of frustration due to trying to fit a round GU peg into the square hole of what you wish they were.

What are you talking about? Have you not seen my incessant threads about the pundits loving us, or the fact that we'ere one of the "big boys", etc? Confirmation bias allows us to see what we want.

Kong-Kool-Aid
04-06-2018, 10:15 AM

My goodness, when will you give it a rest?

bartruff1
04-06-2018, 10:16 AM
Disney's CEO Iger is investing billions in streaming (BAM) and on the advice of Board Members like Sandberg and Dorsey...

They will build their own international platform....they have the content and they have the capital.... the cord/cable cutting is creating dozens of independent platforms...... and I suspect ESPN will dominate sports streaming with exclusive contracts with Conferences....

With a variety of pay for view options and monthly contracts in the less than $10 ....range.....

You will be able to watch what you want and not have to pay for the Jesus Networks and Shopping Networks...unless of course you like that stuff...

Edited to add that ESPN is a $25 Billion segment of Disney.....and I have about 200 channels on cable...watch about 10 of them...

Zagceo
04-06-2018, 11:25 AM
My goodness, when will you give it a rest?

if Rui and Tillie are both back...not soon

thespywhozaggedme
04-06-2018, 11:26 AM
if Rui and Tillie are both back...not soon

ha, no kidding. I wonder what they record is for average margin of victory vs conference foes. I feel bad for our conference mates if we bring everyone back.

Coach Crazy
04-06-2018, 12:23 PM
ha, no kidding. I wonder what they record is for average margin of victory vs conference foes. I feel bad for our conference mates if we bring everyone back.

I believe it was 33/game by LMU back in their hayday?

thespywhozaggedme
04-06-2018, 12:24 PM

Really? That's nuts

zagfan1
04-08-2018, 02:16 PM
If this is what ESPN is settling for, they are really hurting.

They might not have a choice. They are a subsidiary of Disney and cable viewership continues to decline. Depending on how much per subscriber they get from cable companies this model could work just fine and maybe they will hire Andy Katz back. Gonzaga will probably be ten bucks per month.

Kong-Kool-Aid
04-08-2018, 02:53 PM

They totally should have changed conferences.

sittingon50
04-08-2018, 05:29 PM
They totally should have changed conferences.

:clap::clap:

gonzagafan62
04-08-2018, 05:30 PM

Thank you!

HillZag
04-08-2018, 05:38 PM

Sheesh. I'll venmo you the money.

NotoriousZ
04-08-2018, 06:29 PM
Any other DirecTV subscribers notice that theyíve added the Scientology channel? Pretty sure weíre dumping it soon.

Iím thinking of giving Sling a try. Anyone know if you can get all the ESPN channels there?

PCZ_Frites
04-08-2018, 06:37 PM
Any other DirecTV subscribers notice that they’ve added the Scientology channel? Pretty sure we’re dumping it soon.

I’m thinking of giving Sling a try. Anyone know if you can get all the ESPN channels there?

I used Sling, but it didn't have ESPNU (it had all the others) so I switched to HuluTV. It had all the ESPN channels, though it's $10/mo more.

a13coach
04-08-2018, 06:50 PM
Any other DirecTV subscribers notice that they’ve added the Scientology channel? Pretty sure we’re dumping it soon.

I’m thinking of giving Sling a try. Anyone know if you can get all the ESPN channels there?

I used Sling, but it didn't have ESPNU (it had all the others) so I switched to HuluTV. It had all the ESPN channels, though it's $10/mo more.

I have Sling and during the basketball season I pay the extra $5 for the sports add-on, which has ESPNU. It also has the SEC network, plus the PAC12 channels. Plus several other non-mainstream sport feeds.

willandi
04-08-2018, 07:47 PM
I have Sling and during the basketball season I pay the extra $5 for the sports add-on, which has ESPNU. It also has the SEC network, plus the PAC12 channels. Plus several other non-mainstream sport feeds.

I would gladly use sling or hulu, but neither carry Root Sports, so I can't see the M's games.

bartruff1
04-08-2018, 07:50 PM
Sheesh. I'll venmo you the money.

You realize that could be $20 or even more for the Conference.....not everyone can spend that kind of money...:D

a13coach
04-08-2018, 08:00 PM
I would gladly use sling or hulu, but neither carry Root Sports, so I can't see the M's games.

Yes that is a big draw back of Sling, no M's. But it also means that I don't have to put up with Husky homerism on Root. :D

kitzbuel
04-08-2018, 08:36 PM

What kind of online access do you get with Sling ESPN?

strikenowhere
04-08-2018, 08:41 PM
What kind of online access do you get with Sling ESPN?

I, too, use Sling and paid the extra $5 for the basketball regular season & WCC tournament. If you go this route you'll get all the ESPN channels on your streaming devices through Sling.tv plus access to ESPN360 (WatchESPN). Its worth it, plus the ability to cancel after the regular season is a plus. There were definitely several games that weren't broadcast on ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU but were available on WatchESPN. I don't think I missed any games this season and I live in NJ.

The only downside is that with Sling you CANNOT record the game; for some reason Disney will not let you record any ESPN/ABC/family of networks.

kitzbuel
04-09-2018, 03:02 AM
I, too, use Sling and paid the extra $5 for the basketball regular season & WCC tournament. If you go this route you'll get all the ESPN channels on your streaming devices through Sling.tv plus access to ESPN360 (WatchESPN). Its worth it, plus the ability to cancel after the regular season is a plus. There were definitely several games that weren't broadcast on ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU but were available on WatchESPN. I don't think I missed any games this season and I live in NJ.

The only downside is that with Sling you CANNOT record the game; for some reason Disney will not let you record any ESPN/ABC/family of networks.
Hmmm. Being on the East Coast, I record most of the games since they are on so late.

thebigsmoove
04-09-2018, 05:45 AM
I think the angle of this that most people arent even discussing is what kind of financial future will WatchESPN afford the Zags if the WCC moves to a streaming only platform? Im sure there will be some major network games sprinkled in, especially for the Zags, but will an agreement like this destroy the WCCs TV revenue? or perhaps will this increase its revenue? I guess without knowing the monetary terms of the Ivy League agreement with ESPN or what membership looks like it would be hard to project future TV revenue. Seems risky to me though.

Birddog
04-09-2018, 06:20 AM
I think the angle of this that most people arent even discussing is what kind of financial future will WatchESPN afford the Zags if the WCC moves to a streaming only platform? Im sure there will be some major network games sprinkled in, especially for the Zags, but will an agreement like this destroy the WCCs TV revenue? or perhaps will this increase its revenue? I guess without knowing the monetary terms of the Ivy League agreement with ESPN or what membership looks like it would be hard to project future TV revenue. Seems risky to me though.

It is my understanding that the WCC and Gonzaga don't really make that much from their TV deal. What they get is exposure. I believe CDC has said previously stated that the Root deal is more valuable, but I could be mistaken.

thebigsmoove
04-09-2018, 06:37 AM
It is my understanding that the WCC and Gonzaga don't really make that much from their TV deal. What they get is exposure. I believe CDC has said previously stated that the Root deal is more valuable, but I could be mistaken.

I know i read that the Zags used to get about $500k from the WCC annually, is that just based on tourney shares? No TV $$$ from the ESPN deal are in that?

Birddog
04-09-2018, 09:36 AM
I know i read that the Zags used to get about $500k from the WCC annually, is that just based on tourney shares? No TV $$$ from the ESPN deal are in that?

I asked Mr Google and he had lots of information dating back to when the present contract was signed. Alas, I couldn't find a mention of $$$$s. Somewhere I got the idea that GU makes in excess of $200,000 and the other members make in excess of $100,000, perhaps BYU a little more.