Hoping that everyone comes back!

thespywhozaggedme
04-04-2018, 06:36 AM
GU a 1 seed in Seattle.

link?

kclubfounder
04-04-2018, 06:41 AM
Won't the Seattle Coliseum be under construction during the 2019 tournament? Where is it going to be played?

jazzdelmar
04-04-2018, 06:42 AM
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

willandi
04-04-2018, 06:47 AM
Won't the Seattle Coliseum be under construction during the 2019 tournament? Where is it going to be played?

Maybe Hec Ed?

thespywhozaggedme
04-04-2018, 06:57 AM
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

Thanks

Hoopaholic
04-04-2018, 06:57 AM
GU a 1 seed in Seattle.

and the WCC is once again a one bid league

kclubfounder
04-04-2018, 07:05 AM
Maybe Hec Ed?

I don't think it's big enough. I bet they move it to Portland unless construction is delayed a year.

OntZags
04-04-2018, 07:06 AM

If Childs/Bryant come back and they can successfully reintegrate Emery into the lineup, BYU has a legit shot at an at-large.

And still too early to write off SMC. They have some interesting pieces coming in and RB is still a terrific coach. I can see them overachieving relative to expectations next season.

Coach Crazy
04-04-2018, 07:21 AM
If Childs/Bryant come back and they can successfully reintegrate Emery into the lineup, BYU has a legit shot at an at-large.

And still too early to write off SMC. They have some interesting pieces coming in and RB is still a terrific coach. I can see them overachieving relative to expectations next season.

And they'll have Kolby Lee. He should have a shot at making the offense a little more efficient and allow Childs a little more offensive freedom.

EEzag
04-04-2018, 07:36 AM
And they'll have Kolby Lee. He should have a shot at making the offense a little more efficient and allow Childs a little more offensive freedom.

Seems like both BYU and SMC have some high level recruits coming in. And one thing we know about Romar, the dude gets talent. WCC could be a lot more interesting next year if the teams I mentioned reel off a couple decent non conference wins.

thespywhozaggedme
04-04-2018, 07:37 AM
Brackets this early are a joke, especially when rosters aren't even close to being set. Lunardi is like Mel Kiper, a professional guesser.

strikenowhere
04-04-2018, 07:41 AM

No you see this time things will be better I promise! We'll try really hard this time just forget about those other 20 years of futility. Pinky swear you'll see!

Coach Crazy
04-04-2018, 07:51 AM
Seems like both BYU and SMC have some high level recruits coming in. And one thing we know about Romar, the dude gets talent. WCC could be a lot more interesting next year if the teams I mentioned reel off a couple decent non conference wins.

I'll believe it when I see it. History tells us otherwise. Remember, SCU (I believe?) won the CIT and the CBI in a period of three years. It meant jack. Nada. Romar gets talent, but he doesn't have a coaching style that is great for building smaller programs, at this point. And the talent isn't in the same galaxy as Gonzaga. Regardless of what SMC has coming in, it will take them a few years to get rolling. Look at Jock. Really made it happen his Jr year. They don't bring in a ton of ready-made talent. I think BYU has a shot, if they put all the pieces together.

BULLDOG#1
04-04-2018, 09:46 AM
dream bracket

former1dog
04-04-2018, 09:58 AM
USF returns all but one starter from a 22 win season.

Ferrari, Renfro and Ratinho all are All WCC level players. Bigs are serviceable. Smith is a solid coach. $30 million being invested in facilities. I'd say they have a 5% chance of making the dance next season and a 75% chance of being a top 100 RPI match up for Gonzaga.

If Smith develops one of those speedy freshman from Oakland to replace Ferrari after next season they'll be really, really good in 2 years when Ratinho and Renfro are seniors.

With Coach Bone as the X's and O's guy for Romar, I would put Pepperdine as a top half of the conference team next season and a top 3 contender the season after that.

Loyola Marymount was very young last season and seemed to be improving towards the end of the season. Its hard to say, but an optimistic outlook is that they improve to a middle of the pack team.

I would bet that SMC and BYU field solid, competitive teams next season.

We have a chance at being a 3 or 4 bid league next season, although my money would be on 2 bids.

My guess at final league standings next season

Gonzaga 16-0 29-3
USF 12-4 24-8
BYU 11-5 23-9
SMC 11-5 25-7
Pepperdine 9-7 20-12
Pacific 8-8 17-15
USD 8-8 18-14
SCU 8-8 16-16
LMU 7-9 15-17
Portland 6-10 14-18

Kong-Kool-Aid
04-04-2018, 10:08 AM
No you see this time things will be better I promise! We'll try really hard this time just forget about those other 20 years of futility. Pinky swear you'll see!

MW a 1 big league too!

willandi
04-04-2018, 10:18 AM
I don't think it's big enough. I bet they move it to Portland unless construction is delayed a year.

Could be. I've only been there once.

How about Safeco?

jazzdelmar
04-04-2018, 10:23 AM
I think Kyle gets Minlend back too. Good player from St Johns.

MDABE80
04-04-2018, 10:26 AM
Just look at the 1 seeds but also the 2 and 3 seeds. Joey must see what the Pollsters do. All eyes on Gonzaga this year. Positioning us for a 1 seed now and when the season starts ( Jeeeeezus 7 months??) is a big upside for recruiting this year and next.

Much will be expected of us. Josh has come so far in his position. It's key that he continues his good work. Big look solid. Who takes Silas' place.??? All of this may not mean much to many but the perception of a Top 10 ranking and a 1 seed will matter. It's good news.

jazzdelmar
04-04-2018, 10:27 AM
Just look at the 1 seeds but also the 2 and 3 seeds. Joey must see what the Pollsters do. All eyes on Gonzaga this year. Positioning us for a 1 seed now and when the season starts ( Jeeeeezus 7 months??) is a big upside for recruiting this year and next.

Much will be expected of us. Josh has come so far in his position. It's key that he continues his good work. Big look solid. Who takes Silas' place.??? All of this may not mean much to many but the perception of a Top 10 ranking and a 1 seed will matter. It's good news.

Norvell for Melson a major upgrade at the 2.

Zagdawg
04-04-2018, 10:29 AM
Offense vs Defense

strikenowhere
04-04-2018, 10:29 AM
Norvell for Melson a major upgrade at the 2.

Offensively yes, but defensively? I think the jury is still out on that.

thespywhozaggedme
04-04-2018, 10:30 AM

Although this and all of the preseason rankings that just came out are utterly meaningless, virtually every single one has us top 6, so I would have them blown up, bound and laminated and hand one to BW and his father. lol

thespywhozaggedme
04-04-2018, 10:30 AM
Offensively yes, but defensively? I think the jury is still out on that.

One will be a first round lock in the NBA, the other might make a second tier European roster somewhere.

sittingon50
04-04-2018, 10:56 AM
My guess at final league standings next season

Gonzaga 16-0 29-3
USF 12-4 24-8
BYU 11-5 23-9
SMC 11-5 25-7
Pepperdine 9-7 20-12
Pacific 8-8 17-15
USD 8-8 18-14
SCU 8-8 16-16
LMU 7-9 15-17
Portland 6-10 14-18

I was a History Major dog so I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that with each league win there are an equal # of league losses. Your scenario shows a +36 in the win column.

If that were to happen you could almost bet that the NCAA would launch an immediate investigation that would be completed in 5 years, leading to absolutely no sanctions against North Carolina.

Zagdawg
04-04-2018, 10:58 AM
Upon completion of the WCC investigation the NCAA would ban North Dakota State from post season play.

Bogozags
04-04-2018, 11:10 AM
Offense vs Defense

I think several of you are going to be proven wrong...his defence was many times better at the end of the season. IMO if his choices on offence improve, next year could be his last year...he has tremendous skills on both sides of the ball. Don't cut him short!!!

Bogozags
04-04-2018, 11:21 AM

Hoop you could be right BUT San Diego and Pacific might surprise us in OOC games...no schedule now but they were the most improved teams this past season...IMO

strikenowhere
04-04-2018, 11:27 AM
Hoop you could be right BUT San Diego and Pacific might surprise us in OOC games...no schedule now but they were the most improved teams this past season...IMO

San Diego's aspirations likely went up in smoke when their coach was fired.

Coach Crazy
04-04-2018, 11:34 AM

Um, yeah.

spike_jr
04-04-2018, 12:22 PM
Upon completion of the WCC investigation the NCAA would ban North Dakota State from post season play.

I was thinking that Pacific better really watch out - they might get the death penalty!

jazzdelmar
04-04-2018, 12:32 PM
One will be a first round lock in the NBA, the other might make a second tier European roster somewhere.

Third tier, at best. Glad we agree on sumthin,' Mr. Paladin.

jazzdelmar
04-04-2018, 12:35 PM
We have a chance at being a 3 or 4 bid league next season, although my money would be on 2 bids.

Seriously, F1? You spend the weekend in Colorado or Moab?

thespywhozaggedme
04-04-2018, 12:41 PM
Third tier, at best. Glad we agree on sumthin,' Mr. Paladin.

Ha!

thespywhozaggedme
04-04-2018, 12:42 PM
Seriously, F1? You spend the weekend in Colorado or Moab?

He's guilty of what we call "continuing to sell after he's already made the sale".

jazzdelmar
04-04-2018, 12:45 PM
He's guilty of what we call "continuing to sell after he's already made the sale".

You mean, up-selling?

Coach Crazy
04-04-2018, 12:53 PM

Hahahahahahahaha dude. Utah doesn't sell alcohol strong enough to make this type of prognostication. You spend some time in another state while you typed this?

maynard g krebs
04-04-2018, 01:57 PM
I was a History Major dog so I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that with each league win there are an equal # of league losses. Your scenario shows a +36 in the win column.

If that were to happen you could almost bet that the NCAA would launch an immediate investigation that would be completed in 5 years, leading to absolutely no sanctions against North Carolina.

That collective 30 games over .500 is what would be needed to be a 3-4 bid league.

kitzbuel
04-04-2018, 02:06 PM

If that were to happen you could almost bet that the NCAA would launch an immediate investigation that would be completed in 5 years, leading to absolutely no sanctions against North Carolina.I was about to comment "somebody's got to lose"

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

allbusiness_zag
04-04-2018, 02:34 PM

Got moved to San Jose, unfortunately.

DixieZag
04-04-2018, 03:37 PM
While we are speaking of possible improvements to the WCC, I was as impressed by Pacific this year, each time we played.

I don't know who they bring back.

I cannot stress this enough, this is all relative to where they were 2 years ago. They looked like an NAIA or Elite Intermural champs at a huge state university. At least this year they looked like a legitimate D-1 team (I think they beat BYU and almost beat SMC). They seem to be going in the right direction and I am wondering why no one mentioned them.

Hooray4Daye&Gray
04-04-2018, 03:59 PM
Got moved to San Jose, unfortunately.

Link? I see you're from Seattle so I'm not doubting you, but can't find any mention of this on the internets.

I'm planning to travel to wherever the games are at, so I'm definitely interested in this announcement.

kclubfounder
04-04-2018, 04:32 PM
Link? I see you're from Seattle so I'm not doubting you, but can't find any mention of this on the internets.

I'm planning to travel to wherever the games are at, so I'm definitely interested in this announcement.

https://www.primesport.com/s/ncaa-mens-basketball-tournament-tickets

I found one article in a San Jose paper, but you've got to be a member to read it. You'd think it would be newsworthy in Seattle, but I think the unholy union between the Seattle politicians and the port and the Seattle newspapers that prevented the Seattle arena from happening don't find it particularly newsworthy that this has happened.

Bogozags
04-04-2018, 05:11 PM

I think it is an unknown and I'd like to think that the new coach would keep the same type of play...defence will remain a staple and offence was pretty decent...they will have an experienced team that knows a few tweeks here or there and they could have been playing us in the finals...I wonder how there recruiting is going this off-season...

dhozagfan08
04-04-2018, 06:04 PM
That really sucks if true. One of our better teams in years if everyone comes back, and would be almost guaranteed to play in Seattle.

Rangerzag
04-04-2018, 06:32 PM
Two NCAA pages show the days and locations of next years games. One has not been updated since Apr 20, 2017. It still shows Seattle as a site.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/ncaa/article/2017-04-18/2019-2022-future-di-ncaa-championship-sites

If you follow the link to ticket purchase it shows San Jose as a site but not Seattle.

https://www.ncaa.com/tickets/basketball-men/d1

former1dog
04-04-2018, 06:42 PM

:roll:

Was as in a rush to get out the door. We started a family vacation today.

jazzdelmar
04-04-2018, 06:45 PM
:roll:

Was as in a rush to get out the door. We started a family vacation today.

Did you arrive at the right place ?

thespywhozaggedme
04-04-2018, 06:54 PM
You mean, up-selling?

No not up selling exactly, that would be like trying to get you to buy high-end tequila for your margarita instead of the house brand. What selling after the sale means is that he got his wish, the Zags are staying in the WCC(he made the sale), but he still feels the need to justify it so he's trying to push the idea that our league will be stronger next season( still trying to sell, after he has already made the sale ). Hope that makes sense

former1dog
04-04-2018, 07:26 PM
No, I’m not doing any kind of selling. I would be willing to bet that the WCC has equal or more teams in the NCAA tournament than the MWC next year though.

thespywhozaggedme
04-04-2018, 07:28 PM
No, I’m not doing any kind of selling. I would be willing to bet that the WCC has equal or more teams in the NCAA tournament than the MWC next year though.

More? I see 1 for both

former1dog
04-04-2018, 07:37 PM
More? I see 1 for both

It will be awhile but we’re going to find out.

I already mentioned that USF has a good team coming back.

BYU is losing no players to graduation and has real talent on their team. If Rose can figure out how to get them to come together and play better as a team they have potential.

SMC is supposed to have some solid recruits. So, besides Gonzaga I see the potential for 3 other good teams in the WCC.

Will they make the most of their potential? We’re going to find out.

thespywhozaggedme
04-04-2018, 07:38 PM

BYU is losing no players to graduation and has real talent on their team. If Rose can figure out how to get them to come together and play better as a team they have potential.

SMC is supposed to have some solid recruits. So, besides Gonzaga I see the potential for 3 other good teams in the WCC.

And fans of the MWC can do the same with Nevada, UNLV, New Methico, SDSU, etc, but they're argument would be more legit than yours.

spike_jr
04-04-2018, 08:01 PM

While Seattle or Portland would be ideal, if we are a protected seed, I would think we would be placed in Salt Lake. It is about 200 miles closer to Spokane than San Jose

willandi
04-04-2018, 08:34 PM
While Seattle or Portland would be ideal, if we are a protected seed, I would think we would be placed in Salt Lake. It is about 200 miles closer to Spokane than San Jose

Good call!

soccerdud
04-04-2018, 08:44 PM

probably, but we still want to be as far up the priority list as possible. this year, the sites basically filled up east to west. if we're 15th or 16th again, we'll end up in sj and a team from the other side of the rockies will be in slc.

kclubfounder
04-05-2018, 06:18 AM

Actually, I think Few can lobby for his preference if we're a high enough seed. I'd prefer San Jose - good memories from last year!

gueastcoast
04-05-2018, 06:40 AM
Actually, I think Few can lobby for his preference if we're a high enough seed. I'd prefer San Jose - good memories from last year!

Not only good memories but I thought that SJ was a surprisingly good venue - liked the arena, city big enough to have decent restaurants/things to do but small enough to navigate fairly easily.

DixieZag
04-05-2018, 07:54 AM
Not only good memories but I thought that SJ was a surprisingly good venue - liked the arena, city big enough to have decent restaurants/things to do but small enough to navigate fairly easily.

Downtown SJ has a ton of fun things going on, great clubs, bars, restaurants, and you're right, very small and downright walkable. Plus, the airport is practically downtown, too. Pretty much all arenas are the same now, but it's a good one.

LongIslandZagFan
04-05-2018, 08:25 AM
Seattle site is Key Arena and is for first two rounds. West Regional is in Anaheim.

https://www.ncaa.com/final-four/future-info

Rangerzag
04-05-2018, 08:56 AM
Seattle site is Key Arena and is for first two rounds. West Regional is in Anaheim.

You are welcome to consider this page before you make definite plans:

ref:

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?63002-Bracketology&p=1383458#post1383458

KStyles
04-05-2018, 09:25 AM

"March Madness will be coming back to San Jose a little earlier than expected after Friday’s announcement that SAP Center will host first round and second round NCAA Tournament games next season.

Seattle’s Key Arena was originally selected to host early round NCAA men’s tournament games in 2019, but San Jose has stepped in to host because Key Arena will now undergo a two-year renovation project later this year.

SAP Center, which was scheduled to host the NCAAs in 2021, will reportedly swap with Seattle, which would host in its new arena three years from now.

A source close to the situation confirmed an unofficial announcement Friday in San Diego during the NCAA tournament that San Jose will be hosting next year."

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Z_Xv7l15mnUJ:https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/03/16/why-march-madness-is-now-returning-to-san-jose-next-year/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

CDC84
04-05-2018, 09:58 AM
"March Madness will be coming back to San Jose a little earlier than expected after Friday’s announcement that SAP Center will host first round and second round NCAA Tournament games next season.

Seattle’s Key Arena was originally selected to host early round NCAA men’s tournament games in 2019, but San Jose has stepped in to host because Key Arena will now undergo a two-year renovation project later this year.

SAP Center, which was scheduled to host the NCAAs in 2021, will reportedly swap with Seattle, which would host in its new arena three years from now.

A source close to the situation confirmed an unofficial announcement Friday in San Diego during the NCAA tournament that San Jose will be hosting next year."

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Z_Xv7l15mnUJ:https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/03/16/why-march-madness-is-now-returning-to-san-jose-next-year/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Crap!!! NCAA tournament subregionals were supposed to be held in Pacific NW cities for the next 4 years:

2019: Seattle (now San Jose)
2020: Spokane
2021: Boise
2022: Portland

If the Zags get a protected seed next season, they will likely be headed back to Salt Lake City again, which I hate because the crowd has turned on the Zags the past two times they've played there:

Subregional venues closest to Spokane next March:

SLC = 721 miles from Spokane
San Jose = 908 miles from Spokane
Des Moines = 1,479 miles from Spokane

zagdontzig
04-05-2018, 10:29 AM

I think USF/Pepperdine/Pacific will be in a fight for the second spot. BYU hasn't made any real talent moves, and while they get Emery back, he's going to be a year off of competitive ball (matters more when youre a 24 year-old senior, and the NCAA investigation hasn't been resolved, just put on hold.

SMC is, well, you saw what they did with they're "stacked" class. Only this time, it's not as stacked.

strikenowhere
04-05-2018, 10:37 AM
The WCC optimism is amazing.

maynard g krebs
04-05-2018, 11:37 AM
SMC is, well, you saw what they did with they're "stacked" class. Only this time, it's not as stacked.

SMC's incoming players look more talented than the outgoing ones were at the time they arrived at SMC. Watch some of the video posted on the Gaels' board (hot stove league thread) if you don't believe me. Their recruiting level has gone up, if anything. And they'll be significantly more athletic.

Predicting SMC as anything other than 2nd in the WCC until they prov otherwise strikes me as a low odds proposition.

Goshzagit
04-05-2018, 11:57 AM
SMC's incoming players look more talented than the outgoing ones were at the time they arrived at SMC. Watch some of the video posted on the Gaels' board (hot stove league thread) if you don't believe me. Their recruiting level has gone up, if anything. And they'll be significantly more athletic.

Predicting SMC as anything other than 2nd in the WCC until they prov otherwise strikes me as a low odds proposition.

This.

Their best player(s) in the NIT are both returning. Silly to suggest or think otherwise. Just as bad as picking Zags second.

Jordan Ford returns, their most dynamic scoring guard. Very quick/athletic. Tanner Krebs showed serious flash. Evan Fitzner was their MVP in NIT.

They add a 6'11" big who was Under-19 FIBA MVP and averaged a double-double (18 ppg, 13 rpg). Stanford, Texas Tech, Purdue, Georgia Tech all offered him as well.

A 6'7" wing from New Zealand who can jump out of the gym, extremely athletic for his size/position.

A 6'8", 245lb PF from USF who averaged 8ppg, 5rpg as a Freshman. Big, athletic, really good rebounder. Put up 30 and 11 vs Memphis two yrs ago.

A couple 6'5" athletic guards coming off RS, as SMC red-shirts a ton of their incoming prospects. A couple of these kids were MVP's for their HS league, All State, and show a ton of athleticism, and potential.

A 7'1" 260lb Sophomore kid who is a major project, but has been learning the game the past 2 seasons under Jock.

They will be much more athletic next season, with Page leading the way, combined with some size, and truly promising bigs in the kid from Estonia (FIBA MVP) and South Florida's big who has shown he can ball. Throw in veterans around them in Fitzner, Krebs, etc...

Maybe more dangerous team vs big boys.

How SMC coaches and plays, when they add athletes, LOOK OUT.

LongIslandZagFan
04-05-2018, 12:03 PM
You are welcome to consider this page before you make definite plans:

ref:

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?63002-Bracketology&p=1383458#post1383458

You'd think with the billions they have coming in, they'd be able to afford to pay someone to update their entire website's references to locations. smdh.

Rangerzag
04-05-2018, 12:17 PM
You'd think with the billions they have coming in, they'd be able to afford to pay someone to update their entire website's references to locations. smdh.

Without doubt!

primal23
04-05-2018, 02:48 PM
Crap!!! NCAA tournament subregionals were supposed to be held in Pacific NW cities for the next 4 years:

2019: Seattle (now San Jose)
2020: Spokane
2021: Boise
2022: Portland

If the Zags get a protected seed next season, they will likely be headed back to Salt Lake City again, which I hate because the crowd has turned on the Zags the past two times they've played there:

Subregional venues closest to Spokane next March:

SLC = 721 miles from Spokane
San Jose = 908 miles from Spokane
Des Moines = 1,479 miles from Spokane

I’d take Des Moines just because I might be able to convince my work to let me come for training [emoji13]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk