PDA

View Full Version : Some reactions from CougarBoard regarding the WCC's changes...

zagdontzig
04-03-2018, 06:49 AM
EDIT: my most favorite yet: "Concessions may be the #1 reason Gonzaga stayed but not getting to have BYU come along, was one of the major factors they are staying in the WCC."

https://www.cougarboard.com/board/message.html?id=19596280

"BYU is a better program historically[.]"

https://www.cougarboard.com/board/message.html?id=19592194

"BYU draws more TV viewers than Gonzaga. Gonzaga should not get more tv money than BYU."

https://www.cougarboard.com/board/message.html?id=19592369

"You’re giving them a third more seats than their venue has."

https://www.cougarboard.com/board/message.html?id=19592304

"Why is Gonzaga getting more of the TV contract. BYU is more valuable from a tv standpoint then [sic] Gonzaga."

https://www.cougarboard.com/board/message.html?id=19592374

"I don’t appreciate the arrogance and strong-arm tactics to milk a sweetheart deal in the WCC at our expense."

https://www.cougarboard.com/board/message.html?id=19588609

Some of them are pretty sour, which doesn't make sense to me. We bring the tournament cash and we share it. We could've shared it with the MWC. Now we're asking to keep more, but still keep sharing it, and trying to force the other top teams out of their comfort zone and play some strong non-conference teams. Is this a matter of perspective?

Birddog
04-03-2018, 06:59 AM
That first posted link is really laughable, the rest are only ignorant. If BYU was such a big draw, ESPN would be at their door.

zagdontzig
04-03-2018, 07:16 AM
That first posted link is really laughable, the rest are only ignorant. If BYU was such a big draw, ESPN would be at their door.

If I remember correct, ESPN did carry lots of BYU football, but I don't know if it was on the merits or a part of ESPN's failed strategy of trying to buy every sports contract available. I don't know what that particular poster is referencing when he/she says BYU is a better program historically. That's absurd.

JPtheBeasta
04-03-2018, 07:18 AM

It would be interesting to see how many non-GU BYU games (ie BYU against an opponent other than GU) that ESPN broadcasted lasted year. I suspect it is very few. I can’t recall if even the BYU-GU games were on ESPN last year

JPtheBeasta
04-03-2018, 07:20 AM
If I remember correct, ESPN did carry lots of BYU football, but I don't know if it was on the merits or a part of ESPN's failed strategy of trying to buy every sports contract available. I don't know what that particular poster is referencing when he/she says BYU is a better program historically. That's absurd.

Even if it is true that they are a better program historically, I would still expect the TV monies/contracts to reflect how a team has been doing lately. The San Francisco Dons were great back in the day, maybe they should get a bigger share? I’m sure a BYU answer would be a resounding, “Shut the F up.”

kitzbuel
04-03-2018, 07:24 AM
Would someone please let them know that our tiny 8000 seat junior college gym is actually 6000 seats?

007Zag
04-03-2018, 07:30 AM
Outside of a few posters with blinders on, that thread was actually pretty level-headed.

Ezag
04-03-2018, 07:30 AM
BYU should get more money, they have dominated the WCC from day 1! :roll:

kitzbuel
04-03-2018, 07:31 AM
Outside of a few posters with blinders on, that thread was actually pretty level-headed.

Agreed, but it is fun to poke the bear, (or cougar I guess in this case).

zagdontzig
04-03-2018, 07:36 AM

You could substitute "thread" with "board" and your statement would be accurate. Still, some of those takes are too funny not to point out. Local vernacular for "blinders" is "blue goggles."

ZagsObserver
04-03-2018, 08:05 AM
I thought most of them were very reasonable. Just like here, there are always a couple that like to cause a ruckus.

thebigsmoove
04-03-2018, 08:29 AM
The format of that message board gives me a nosebleed.

EEzag
04-03-2018, 09:50 AM
The format of that message board gives me a nosebleed.

Agreed.

I found some of the posters to be pretty realistic and even brought up their exit from the MWC. And the post about us losing to crappy teams was awesome.

Peeps keep forgetting we don't get football dollars. Basketball is pretty much it for us. We need to be proactive and protective of our basketball revenue. One thing about sports is that it takes a loooong time to climb the mountain, but a very short time to fall off it. Roth is looking long term. I'm willing to bet he's more concerned about a college football conglomeration forming within the next 10 years and trying to keep us in position to move if we have to at that time.

DixieZag
04-03-2018, 10:35 AM
Agreed.

I found some of the posters to be pretty realistic and even brought up their exit from the MWC. And the post about us losing to crappy teams was awesome.

Peeps keep forgetting we don't get football dollars. Basketball is pretty much it for us. We need to be proactive and protective of our basketball revenue. One thing about sports is that it takes a loooong time to climb the mountain, but a very short time to fall off it. Roth is looking long term. I'm willing to bet he's more concerned about a college football conglomeration forming within the next 10 years and trying to keep us in position to move if we have to at that time.

Good post.

And I think some bitterness is to be expected and can even be defended, except they'd be more miserable had we just left completely, especially BYU bc it wouldn't lead to NCAA bids in their case.

Kong-Kool-Aid
04-03-2018, 10:52 AM
Here are the ratings for TV viewers for both teams in the 2014-15 season...
BYU
0.2 244K BYU/San Diego St. ESPN2
0.1 184K Chaminade/BYU ESPN2
0.3 396K BYU/Purdue ESPN2
0.2 248K Utah/BYU ESPNU
0.1 136K Stanford/BYU ESPNU
0.5 865K Gonzaga/BYU ESPN2
0.0 79K Pepperdine/BYU ESPNU
0.1 94K BYU/Pacific ESPNU
0.2 261K BYU/St. Mary’s ESPN2
1.0 1.432M Gonzaga/BYU WCC Championship

Gonzaga
0.2 387K SMU/Gonzaga ESPN2
0.1 129K St. Joseph’s/Gonzaga ESPNU
0.2 335K Georgia/Gonzaga ESPN2
0.4 533K St. John’s/Gonzaga ESPN2
0.5 781K Gonzaga/Arizona ESPN
0.4 633K Gonzaga/St. Mary’s ESPN2
0.3 430K Gonzaga/San Francisco ESPN2
0.1 196K Gonzaga/Portland ESPN2

DixieZag
04-03-2018, 11:02 AM
Here are the ratings for TV viewers for both teams in the 2014-15 season...
BYU
0.2 244K BYU/San Diego St. ESPN2
0.1 184K Chaminade/BYU ESPN2
0.3 396K BYU/Purdue ESPN2
0.2 248K Utah/BYU ESPNU
0.1 136K Stanford/BYU ESPNU
0.5 865K Gonzaga/BYU ESPN2
0.0 79K Pepperdine/BYU ESPNU
0.1 94K BYU/Pacific ESPNU
0.2 261K BYU/St. Mary’s ESPN2

Gonzaga
0.2 387K SMU/Gonzaga ESPN2
0.1 129K St. Joseph’s/Gonzaga ESPNU
0.2 335K Georgia/Gonzaga ESPN2
0.4 533K St. John’s/Gonzaga ESPN2
0.5 781K Gonzaga/Arizona ESPN
0.4 633K Gonzaga/St. Mary’s ESPN2
0.3 430K Gonzaga/San Francisco ESPN2
0.1 196K Gonzaga/Portland ESPN2

So, I guess the argument that BYU gets better TV ratings is:

https://media2.giphy.com/media/xThtaws5spZsKYE8Ug/giphy.gif

Zagdawg
04-03-2018, 11:08 AM
BYU did have this game on their list that they got good ratings on ....0.5 865K Gonzaga/BYU ESPN2......... on wait.......

zagdontzig
04-03-2018, 12:53 PM
I edited the first post to include another aggrandizing take.

jbslicer
04-03-2018, 01:18 PM
BYU with Jimmer was fun to watch. Generic BYU is nothing special.

BYUmizzou
04-04-2018, 10:54 AM
The posts linked on CB are not representative of the overall BYU fan base. Most BYU fans are glad to see Gonzaga staying in the conference and have no issues with Gonzaga getting a better payout based on their history of success in the league and in the tournament. Every fan base has their idiots. You've got some here. We have some on Cougarboard.

BYU fans would like to see our team more competitive, and it's frustrating to keep coming up short in the regular season and in the conference tournament. Having a better shot at winning the conference because the best team in the league leaves, however, is not what most BYU fans want. Playing better competition makes your team better.

Giving Gonzaga their money that they earned is fine. It's not like the WCC payout means a ton to BYU. We're in a unique situation compared to the other WCC schools in that football generates something like 20X the revenue that basketball does. BYU is already using that money to invest in their basketball program. For the other schools, hopefully it gives a big incentive to do what is necessary to improve their basketball programs.

Coach Crazy
04-04-2018, 11:04 AM
The posts linked on CB are not representative of the overall BYU fan base. Most BYU fans are glad to see Gonzaga staying in the conference and have no issues with Gonzaga getting a better payout based on their history of success in the league and in the tournament. Every fan base has their idiots. You've got some here. We have some on Cougarboard.

BYU fans would like to see our team more competitive, and it's frustrating to keep coming up short in the regular season and in the conference tournament. Having a better shot at winning the conference because the best team in the league leaves, however, is not what most BYU fans want. Playing better competition makes your team better.

Giving Gonzaga their money that they earned is fine. It's not like the WCC payout means a ton to BYU. We're in a unique situation compared to the other WCC schools in that football generates something like 20X the revenue that basketball does. BYU is already using that money to invest in their basketball program. For the other schools, hopefully it gives a big incentive to do what is necessary to improve their basketball programs.

You working on your set for Wiseguys, or something? Hahahaa, you'd have me rolling all night, with material like that.

sittingon50
04-04-2018, 11:14 AM
Every fan base has their idiots. You've got some here.

Hey, I saw you looking at me!!

JPtheBeasta
04-04-2018, 11:29 AM
Hey, I saw you looking at me!!

Phew. I thought he was talking about me.