adoptedzag
03-30-2018, 05:32 PM
What is it so far?

OntZags
03-30-2018, 06:17 PM
N vs 3 of Duke, Arizona, Iowa St, SD St, Auburn, Illinois, Xavier

@UNC

@ Creighton

vs Washington (not sure if H or A. It is year 3 of 4 year contract but it doesn't say whether it is H-A-H-A or H-A-A-H)

Conference TBD

As far as I know this is all we have so far.

adoptedzag
04-01-2018, 05:57 PM
N vs 3 of Duke, Arizona, Iowa St, SD St, Auburn, Illinois, Xavier

@UNC

@ Creighton

vs Washington (not sure if H or A. It is year 3 of 4 year contract but it doesn't say whether it is H-A-H-A or H-A-A-H)

Conference TBD

As far as I know this is all we have so far.

So far so good. Thanks. I'd like to see some solid mid majors on there either here or away. As long as there's no projected 200+ RPI teams in the ooc

ZagNative
04-01-2018, 06:09 PM
I'm sorry to be dense, but what does this mean? "N vs 3 of Duke, Arizona, Iowa St, SD St, Auburn, Illinois, Xavier". I assume it's a tournament somewhere, but which one?

23dpg
04-01-2018, 06:24 PM
I'm sorry to be dense, but what does this mean? "N vs 3 of Duke, Arizona, Iowa St, SD St, Auburn, Illinois, Xavier". I assume it's a tournament somewhere, but which one?

Maui next year. That’s the field.

ZagNative
04-01-2018, 06:25 PM
Thanks, 23.

ZagNative
04-01-2018, 06:45 PM
Gonzaga Guru has this schedule set up on his/her website: https://zagsguru.wordpress.com/welcome/schedule/2018-19-gonzaga-schedule/

DixieZag
04-01-2018, 07:33 PM
Yes, strongly with those who want to see the "weaker" of the schedule be 100-200 RPI teams that are primarily local. Would love to see a couple of any of the following: Montana, Idaho, Portland State (I know), Utah State, Wyoming, even Oregon State, WSU,

Kinda wish Few didn't dislike playing friends bc Boise State is a natural, Nevada. Any of those make "interesting" games that South Dakota, Texas Southern (even though I love them) Incarnate Word simply can't match.

thespywhozaggedme
04-01-2018, 08:11 PM
Maui next year. That’s the field.

Yeah, but what's the "N" stand for, Naui? lol

tummydoc
04-01-2018, 08:20 PM
Yeah, but what's the "N" stand for, Naui? lolNeutral site

Mr Vulture
04-02-2018, 09:10 AM
Yes, strongly with those who want to see the "weaker" of the schedule be 100-200 RPI teams that are primarily local. Would love to see a couple of any of the following: Montana, Idaho, Portland State (I know), Utah State, Wyoming, even Oregon State, WSU,

Kinda wish Few didn't dislike playing friends bc Boise State is a natural, Nevada. Any of those make "interesting" games that South Dakota, Texas Southern (even though I love them) Incarnate Word simply can't match.

I would like us to play a home and home with New Mexico (their home court is pretty impressive). Wichita State would be tough but fun to play a home and home with. Agreed on Nevada and Boise State although I don't get the not playing friends thing...it would be good for all three teams. P5 level schools I'd like to play would be Notre Dame, Kansas, and even though it's a lower level school I wouldn't be opposed to Grand Canyon State (lower RPI type though)

thespywhozaggedme
04-02-2018, 09:38 AM
Neutral site

Ah, ok. Thanks

CDC84
04-02-2018, 09:56 AM
Just a reminder......from Bud Withers' blog a few weeks ago:

-- It turned out that those RPI-awful matchups with Howard (No. 339) and Incarnate Word (347) didn’t cost Gonzaga. But the Zags need to take more pains in scheduling those guarantee games, so they’re lining up more 200-range opponents rather than the game’s derelicts.

I doubt we will be seeing any Howard's on next year's schedule. Especially with getting $1 million back from past NCAA tournament payouts, Gonzaga has zero excuse to not pay out some extra money to schedule guarantee games against teams like CSU-Fullerton (RPI 131), Idaho (RPI 133) and Jacksonville State (RPI 149). I'd also like to see them schedule a one off game vs. Murray State or Belmont who are always in the RPI top 100.

I have said this before, and I will say it again.....if the North Carolina game ends up being a Saturday afternoon game on CBS, I would like to see Gonzaga play a road game on Thursday night somewhere in between. It allows them to get adjusted to the time change. When Gonzaga has done this in the past like when they played St. Joe's on Thursday night and UConn on Saturday about 10 years ago, they swept the road trip. It's a formula that works. You might as well fit another road game in if you are going to be traveling that far. The only thing is that I would make sure the opponent is a little bit easier than UNC. I was thinking a Chicago based game to give Zach Norvell a hometown game. I wish we would do this for more of our players. Maybe Pargo can bring some possible Chicago recruits to the game :)

I have asked about Kansas, and one major college basketball writer says they are more likely to agree to a Spokane Arena/Key Arena and Kansas City type of arrangement than a true home and home. I'd still shoot for a home and home, though. Now that UNC is coming, they are kind of next on the list for me. Duke won't play a road game unless its the Big 10/ACC Challenge. The only chance to play them is in New York at MSG. Calipari might come out for a Battle In Seattle thing if Gonzaga will return the game at Rupp Arena (which is off campus, BTW).

I am told that Indiana (who I think is going to return to greatness under Archie Miller) has too many local scheduling obligations. Purdue would be an interesting team because they are one of the few major teams left that plays a lot through its big men.

It's time to get another series started with UCLA.

sittingon50
04-02-2018, 10:26 AM
Am in agreement with you on the double dip back east, CDC.

Zags turn to visit the Fighting Martelli's of St. Joseph's. RPI was #117 last year (Kenpom). Per that same site their top 2 players were Srs. so obviously don't know what they will look like next year but gotta' imagine still Top 175 or better.

Zagdawg
04-02-2018, 10:29 AM
Duke campus is like a 20 minute drive from Chapel Hill-- Can you say twofer!

DixieZag
04-02-2018, 10:38 AM
Just a reminder......from Bud Withers' blog a few weeks ago:

I doubt we will be seeing any Howard's on next year's schedule. Especially with getting $1 million back from past NCAA tournament payouts, Gonzaga has zero excuse to not pay out some extra money to schedule guarantee games against teams like CSU-Fullerton (RPI 131), Idaho (RPI 133) and Jacksonville State (RPI 149). I'd also like to see them schedule a one off game vs. Murray State or Belmont who are always in the RPI top 100.

I have said this before, and I will say it again.....if the North Carolina game ends up being a Saturday afternoon game on CBS, I would like to see Gonzaga play a road game on Thursday night somewhere in between. It allows them to get adjusted to the time change. When Gonzaga has done this in the past like when they played St. Joe's on Thursday night and UConn on Saturday about 10 years ago, they swept the road trip. It's a formula that works. You might as well fit another road game in if you are going to be traveling that far. The only thing is that I would make sure the opponent is a little bit easier than UNC. I was thinking a Chicago based game to give Zach Norvell a hometown game. I wish we would do this for more of our players. Maybe Pargo can bring some possible Chicago recruits to the game :)

I have asked about Kansas, and one major college basketball writer says they are more likely to agree to a Spokane Arena/Key Arena and Kansas City type of arrangement than a true home and home. I'd still shoot for a home and home, though. Now that UNC is coming, they are kind of next on the list for me. Duke won't play a road game unless its the Big 10/ACC Challenge. The only chance to play them is in New York at MSG. Calipari might come out for a Battle In Seattle thing if Gonzaga will return the game at Rupp Arena (which is off campus, BTW).

I am told that Indiana (who I think is going to return to greatness under Archie Miller) has too many local scheduling obligations. Purdue would be an interesting team because they are one of the few major teams left that plays a lot through its big men.

It's time to get another series started with UCLA.

Lots of good stuff in there, though I'd stay more local over the Murray States and such - though I do get why you like those programs. That game against Akron not too long ago turned out real well for us.

I simply love it when Big 10 teams play in our Kennel, I cannot recall an ACC team playing us in the Kennel, but that should be wonderful, too. I have always thought that Kentucky or Duke would be perfect to play in Seattle (does that game come back now?).

Exciting times, hope we have the team to rise up and really get after these guys. That means everyone back and good players coming in.

strikenowhere
04-02-2018, 10:44 AM
Lots of good stuff in there, though I'd stay more local over the Murray States and such - though I do get why you like those programs. That game against Akron not too long ago turned out real well for us.

I simply love it when Big 10 teams play in our Kennel, I cannot recall an ACC team playing us in the Kennel, but that should be wonderful, too. I have always thought that Kentucky or Duke would be perfect to play in Seattle (does that game come back now?).

Exciting times, hope we have the team to rise up and really get after these guys. That means everyone back and good players coming in.

I feel like Wake Forest was the last ACC team to venture to Spokane during the Elias Harris years and won.

jazzdelmar
04-02-2018, 03:56 PM
Didn’t UVa or NCS play in the Kennel recently and their PG dropped like 45? Or was the Wake?

It was Sean Singletary of UVa who dropped 37..it was 2007 and the Cavs won by 20 in the Kennel.

gueastcoast
04-02-2018, 05:06 PM
Didn’t UVa or NCS play in the Kennel recently and their PG dropped like 45? Or was the Wake?

It was Sean Singletary of UVa who dropped 37..it was 2007 and the Cavs won by 20 in the Kennel.

Yeah I remember that. Awful game.

OntZags
04-02-2018, 05:39 PM
I wonder if we'll look at renewing the rivalry with Memphis, especially now that we have those 2 extra opportunities towards the end of the season.

They are obviously down from their peak but Penny Hardaway has just come in now and he's been talking up how we wants to challenge all the top teams he can.

They likely wont be great for the RPI next season (though they certainly wont be a Howard or an Incarnate Wood) but they were one of the few major programs to battle Gonzaga back when GU was an upstart in the making. There were some fun games and I'd love to see them look into renewing it.

willandi
04-02-2018, 06:22 PM
Any truth to the rumor that the Zags will call Buffalo, New York home and have a home and home with Syracuse?

MontanaCoyote
04-02-2018, 07:02 PM
Can we get a good OOC opponent toward the end of the regular season to give
us a real test before The Dance.......or not? Otherwise we could go to the tourney after playing 2, 4, 6, 8 even more games against weak opponents, even compared to a 15 or so seed we’d see in the first round.

I’ve broached this thought several times with little response, so maybe it’s just not that important. I just think that some stiff competition before The Dance is good for a team. And it doen’t Look like next years WCC is going to provide that kind of test.

Hoopaholic
04-02-2018, 07:10 PM
Can we get a good OOC opponent toward the end of the regular season to give
us a real test before The Dance.......or not? Otherwise we could go to the tourney after playing 2, 4, 6, 8 even more games against weak opponents, even compared to a 15 or so seed we’d see in the first round.

I’ve broached this thought several times with little response, so maybe it’s just not that important. I just think that some stiff competition before The Dance is good for a team. And it doen’t Look like next years WCC is going to provide that kind of test.

Problem I s most good teams be hot and heavy in their league play so no desire pickup single challenge game
While it was nice o wcgiveto more ooc still be front loaded imo

caduceus
04-02-2018, 07:16 PM
Would love to see Montana in the schedule again. RPI was a respectable 76 this year.

peg645
04-02-2018, 07:19 PM
Hope we get another chance to play Nova. I still sort of take a breath when I see "UNC". We need two or three of that calibre every year if we are staying in the WCC- would love to see a game with KU and another Big 10 team - even if all these are neutral site or at their place.

maynard g krebs
04-02-2018, 10:59 PM

Nope. Charlottesville. Saw it on tv, dbl checked w/ ESPN to make sure memory was accurate.

GoZags
04-03-2018, 01:54 AM
Charlottesville was the return game. Singletary scored 35 in an 80-69 Zag win in the Kennel over the ‘Hoos in the ‘05/‘06 season.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/game?gameId=253512250

thebigsmoove
04-03-2018, 05:02 AM
Singletary was a fantastic player. I really dont understand how he never really made it big in the NBA.

strikenowhere
04-03-2018, 05:10 AM
Any truth to the rumor that the Zags will call Buffalo, New York home and have a home and home with Syracuse?

Whoa whoa whoa - where did this rumor spring up? This would be the ultimate game for me and a buddy of mine!

thespywhozaggedme
04-03-2018, 05:34 AM
Singletary was a fantastic player. I really dont understand how he never really made it big in the NBA.

Undersized combo guard, not a true pg or sg

Zagger
04-03-2018, 06:39 AM
Would really like to see a BIS game again. Would also like to see a Spokane Arena game each year. With the WCC going from 18 to 16 games ..... might fit in. AND .... the BIS needs a class act for an opponent. For the Arena it'd be fun to have a well liked western opponent (EWU, WSU or any other Pac-12 school, Montana .... etc.). The keys for any success doing the BIS again is the opponent.

thespywhozaggedme
04-03-2018, 07:00 AM
Whoa whoa whoa - where did this rumor spring up? This would be the ultimate game for me and a buddy of mine!

I think he was joking, because what he posted doesn't really make sense. How can we have a home and home with Syracuse in Buffalo?

Birddog
04-03-2018, 07:01 AM
Would really like to see a BIS game again. Would also like to see a Spokane Arena game each year. With the WCC going from 18 to 16 games ..... might fit in. AND .... the BIS needs a class act for an opponent. For the Arena it'd be fun to have a well liked western opponent (EWU, WSU or any other Pac-12 school, Montana .... etc.). The keys for any success doing the BIS again is the opponent.

Weren't some of those old Arena games charity games to benefit Ronald McDonald House?

strikenowhere
04-03-2018, 07:22 AM
I think he was joking, because what he posted doesn't really make sense. How can we have a home and home with Syracuse in Buffalo?

Gah I just jumped the gun then ....I saw Syracuse/Zags/Home-and-home and my mind started daydreaming a road trip to update NY!

willandi
04-03-2018, 08:04 AM
Gah I just jumped the gun then ....I saw Syracuse/Zags/Home-and-home and my mind started daydreaming a road trip to update NY!

I figured changing the venue to Spokane, New York wouldn't fool a grizzled coach like Boeheim, and we all know he won't leave the state in the OCC...well, maybe northern New Jersey!

OntZags
04-03-2018, 08:15 AM
Would really like to see a BIS game again.

The BIS is on hiatus while Key arena undergoes renovation for an NHL team.

Roth mentioned in an article his intention on renewing it again and said they realize it needs to be a higher calibre opponent.

strikenowhere
04-03-2018, 08:17 AM
I figured changing the venue to Spokane, New York wouldn't fool a grizzled coach like Boeheim, and we all know he won't leave the state in the OCC...well, maybe northern New Jersey!

I'd have no problem if they were to play a game at the Barclay's center or MSG/Brooklyn....I got to see the Zags against Villanova this year (unfortunately). My 6-year old son has gotten super excited about basketball now and I would love to bring him to a game if anything were to pop up within driving range of central NJ....hopefully they will be back in NYC/Philly area at some point.