PDA

View Full Version : Filip Petrusev and Montverde on ESPNU now

ZagNative
03-29-2018, 02:08 PM
Montverde vs. Lone Peak on now at the Geico Nationals quarterfinals on ESPNU.

Geico Nationals Site (http://geicohoops.com/)

Live Stats (https://basketball.exposureevents.com/108588/geico-high-school-nationals/live/5379579?type=statcrew)

Petrusev is #13.

LouisianaZag
03-29-2018, 02:37 PM
Montverde vs. Lone Peak on now at the Geico Nationals quarterfinals on ESPNU.

Geico Nationals Site (http://geicohoops.com/)

Live Stats (https://basketball.exposureevents.com/108588/geico-high-school-nationals/live/5379579?type=statcrew)

Filip is considered a surefire NBA player.

Alum08
03-29-2018, 02:39 PM
Doesn't look too aggressive in this game.

OntZags
03-29-2018, 02:47 PM
Filip is considered a surefire NBA player.

Not really. There is only a dozen or so 'surefire' NBA guys every class (and even then, some still flop). He's only ranked 67th on the 247 composite. Ranking systems aren't perfect but yeah he's not necessarily a surefire NBA guy.

Here's a scouts' blurb from basketball without borders camp:
Already committed to Gonzaga for next year, Petrusev is a fluid, smooth-shooting stretch big who should be a perfect fit in Spokane. He’s teammates with potential 2019 No.1 pick R.J. Barrett at Montverde Academy, and was able to shine with some nice moments in the camp environment. He’s not a surefire NBA guy, but has the size and shooting tools going for him and will be in a great situation for his development. After helping lead Serbia to a title in last summer’s U18 Euros, Petrusev is a player to track long-term with some projectable utility at the NBA level.

I'm excited for him to join the team next season and I'm hopeful he'll make a nice steady progression and we can get 3/4 years out of him.

thebigsmoove
03-29-2018, 02:50 PM
Not really. There is only a dozen or so 'surefire' NBA guys every class (and even then, some still flop). He's only ranked 67th on the 247 composite. Ranking systems aren't perfect but yeah he's not necessarily a surefire NBA guy.

Here's a scouts' blurb from basketball without borders camp:

I'm excited for him to join the team next season and I'm hopeful he'll make a nice steady progression and we can get 3/4 years out of him.

On the money. I like his skillset and think hes another in a long line of quality euro bigs at GU.

jazzdelmar
03-29-2018, 02:57 PM
So you’re saying he won’t bolt for bucks as soon as some scouting service makes googoo eyes at him?

bdmiller7
03-29-2018, 03:20 PM
Not many surefire NBAers. ESPN just had an interesting article saying 42% of McDonald's All-Americans play less than 25 career NBA games. Only 8% will make more than 1 all-star game. A lot can change from age 17-22.

LouisianaZag
03-29-2018, 08:44 PM
Understand I was just repeating what I read in one of the articles about the young man being a surefire NBA player. I
certainly didn't make myself clear.

Goshzagit
03-29-2018, 09:40 PM
RJ Barrett. Wow.

Duke will be in good hands with him next season.

Unstoppable player.

Big fan of Filip. Terrific prospect. Remember, traditional/euro style bigs aren't used much at the HS level, unless you have guard skills too. Like a Marvin Bagley or something.

He will FLOURISH at Gonzaga. I think he logs significant minutes next season (15-20 per game).

Zagger
03-30-2018, 01:06 AM
...... Big fan of Filip. Terrific prospect. Remember, traditional/euro style bigs aren't used much at the HS level, unless you have guard skills too. Like a Marvin Bagley or something.
He will FLOURISH at Gonzaga. I think he logs significant minutes next season (15-20 per game).

Yep, I believe he'll flourish @ GU as well. Talking bigs, I also think we'll see improvement in Larsen with botn Filip and Larsen getting decent floor time.

scrooner
03-30-2018, 06:18 AM
Looks like the semifinals is on ESPN2 at 2pm PST today vs Findlay Prep.

Goshzagit
03-30-2018, 06:44 AM
Talking bigs, I also think we'll see improvement in Larsen with botn Filip and Larsen getting decent floor time.

Larsen lost confidence shortly after he tweaked his knee. No mention of it, or inside info, yet it was clear as day following the game. I can't recall which game it was, but if I find the replay, I will show it.

He was making an impact on both ends, prior to him landing awkwardly, grabbing at his brace, and limping off a few moments later.

Larsen wasn't the same player afterward, the rest of the season; and knowing him, I have a feeling he never said a word to the coaches, trainers, or even himself. Again, I have feeling he tried to play through it due to his fear of being shut down again or losing momentum again.

He was gaining more and more PT, moving faster and faster, and making play after play, then he hurt his knee again. I have NO idea the extent of it, but I can tell you after I saw it -- it was brief -- he never played as much, moved slower, made less plays. As a result, seemed to lose confidence.

The Coaches say he lost more confidence as the season progressed, I agree, it was obvious, yet it was also immediately after I saw him grab his knee, limp, then act like he was OK.

I have a feeling that he re-aggravated something and played through it the rest of the year, and hope he comes forward to the Staff about it this off-season. Unless debilitating or the player says something, the staff nor trainers would ever know they are hurt. They trust their players to tell them if they can play or not, and if something could be bothering them or not.

Zagceo
03-30-2018, 07:21 AM
Believe it was Husky game Goshzagit

CDC84
03-30-2018, 08:43 AM
Unless you an RJ Barrett, it is so hard to evaluate prospects/recruits who play for these all star teams. If you had an opportunity to see Josh Perkins play for his old HS in Colorado and for the Huntington Prep team back in West VA.....total difference. Two totally different players. In fact, Jerry Krause said that Josh playing at Huntington took away much of his confidence as a player on the offensive end.

So if you got to see some things from Filip that looked promising, consider yourself lucky. I am not the least bit surprised by him not playing aggressively (if that was the case). He's the new kid on the block, he's surrounded by insane talent, and he's a foreign player. He probably just wants to fit in. Gonzaga did all of their scouting on this kid based on his play overseas. In that I trust the most.

amaronizag
03-30-2018, 09:01 AM
Thanks CDC, that explains a lot. I watched Filip/Montverde play (parts of games) a few times this season and was wondering what the staff saw in him. Barrett was the star, Filip saw somewhat limited minutes, and wasn't a scoring factor. Obviously he's big, can play some D, run the floor, make some shots deep in the paint against smaller opponents, and block a few shots. But he wasn't outstanding in any way. He just sort of disappeared into the background. Admittedly my opinions were based on very limited minutes of watching, and because of GU's recruitment of him, I was sure he had his great games and stretches of play that showed a lot of skill and promise. I just missed them. It sounds like he did stand out in Europe just not against the talent at Montverde where he wasn't one of the main go-to options on offense. I hope he develops into a solid, aggressive big contributing lots of minutes by the end of his first season. He seems like a solid player and individual that fits the GU mold.

MDABE80
03-30-2018, 09:12 AM
Unless you an RJ Barrett, it is so hard to evaluate prospects/recruits who play for these all star teams. If you had an opportunity to see Josh Perkins play for his old HS in Colorado and for the Huntington Prep team back in West VA.....total difference. Two totally different players. In fact, Jerry Krause said that Josh playing at Huntington took away much of his confidence as a player on the offensive end.

So if you got to see some things from Filip that looked promising, consider yourself lucky. I am not the least bit surprised by him not playing aggressively (if that was the case). He's the new kid on the block, he's surrounded by insane talent, and he's a foreign player. He probably just wants to fit in. Gonzaga did all of their scouting on this kid based on his play overseas. In that I trust the most.

All good points. I suspect he'll develop here. I hope he's fluent in English..

Grand Valley Zag
03-30-2018, 10:03 AM
All good points. I suspect he'll develop here. I hope he's fluent in English..

I saw a video of him from a couple of years ago and it was pretty good. I'm sure it's even better now.

Coach Crazy
03-30-2018, 10:16 AM
He's not an NBA prospect, at this point. But that doesn't mean he can't be a crucial part of the front court.

raise the zag
03-30-2018, 11:23 AM
He's not an NBA prospect, at this point. But that doesn't mean he can't be a crucial part of the front court.

And I'm perfectly fine with that...i love NBA prospects yet all these one and/or two and done players has created some stress in offseason and filling those vacancies.

When these guys watch Zach go, or Domas, they all believe they are ready for the League.

Couldn't be further from the truth.

Honestly, Tillie and Rui are not ready, esp Rui even though he's the more prized prospect.

Sometimes maturity and emotional stability aren't thought of enough...

Coach Crazy
03-30-2018, 12:11 PM
And I'm perfectly fine with that...i love NBA prospects yet all these one and/or two and done players has created some stress in offseason and filling those vacancies.

When these guys watch Zach go, or Domas, they all believe they are ready for the League.

Couldn't be further from the truth.

Honestly, Tillie and Rui are not ready, esp Rui even though he's the more prized prospect.

Totally. You need the Dranginis's and Melson's to have a successful program. Even at the Blue Blood's.

sittingon50
03-30-2018, 12:20 PM
Totally. You need the Dranginis's and Melson's to have a successful program. Even at the Blue Blood's.

+1000

zagdontzig
03-30-2018, 12:47 PM

Didn't a lynch mob say the same thing about Zach and Domas when they both declared? Especially Zach with regard to maturity.

Mantua
03-30-2018, 01:17 PM
Filip with 4 threes in the 1st quarter today.

ZagNative
03-30-2018, 01:18 PM
Filip with 4 threes in the 1st quarter today.

Game is on ESPN 2.

Live Stats (https://basketball.exposureevents.com/108588/geico-high-school-nationals/live/5379578?type=statcrew)

scrooner
03-30-2018, 01:20 PM
4-4!

raise the zag
03-30-2018, 01:22 PM
Didn't a lynch mob say the same thing about Zach and Domas when they both declared? Especially Zach with regard to maturity.

I don't recall a single poster saying Domas 'was not ready', maybe they were bummed to lose him, but no one said he wasn't ready. His Father's lineage, family financials, and being DOMINANT in College playing 30 mpg, being "the guy", averaging 18 & 12 was more than enough.

Zach is now just started getting playing time, and his situation is different. His Father travels with him, stays with him, and has a permanent buddy/family system in place, for support, which was planned all along and BIG reason he declared at 19 yrs old.

Tillie's game isn't ready, neither is Rui's.

What more could Zach have done on his game: advanced footwork, above average athleticism, great length, toughness was already proven, high motor, hard worker, and analytics that were better than 99% of prospects similar to him.

Neither Rui nor Tillie have shown the same consistency, toughness, nor well rounded their games enough. Tillie has the skills, and even game, but what about consistency playing starter minutes? What about disappearing acts, selective motor, lack of strength etc.

Rui JUST learned what basketball terms mean in English. Not to mention honing a jump shot.

Rui is closer to being ready than Tillie, imo, yet Rui has ZERO support system without our Coaching staff. He could hire it out, but simply doesn't know enough about anything yet. His confidence is fluid and fragile, emotionally and physically.

Rui just needs more seasoning and experience. Even experiencing the spotlight.

Tillie has A TON to prove. In my opinion, he has NBA skills and a modern NBA game, but I think he's 2 yrs away, if i'm being honest. Can't coach toughness, motor, hustle, consistency. Must come within. Picking and choosing won't cut it in the NBA, esp as a practice player or playing 2 mpg in the NBA.

Rui is 1 year away. Find a jump shot from the perimeter, but more playing big minutes, and developing confidence to handle the rigors, the grown men, the media, at the next level.

meadgrad02
03-30-2018, 01:24 PM
Good looking shot. Really, really slow release right now though.

Zagdawg
03-30-2018, 01:29 PM
Jim Meehan

@SRJimm
21m21 minutes ago
More
GU commit Filip Petrusev with four 3s and an assist as No. 1 Montverde leads Findlay Prep 22-10 after 1 in the high school nationals semifinals

Zagdawg
03-30-2018, 01:33 PM
30-19 Montverde over Findlay Prep at the half
Petrusev with a game leading 12 points on 4-4 behind the arc with 4 boards.

Goshzagit
03-30-2018, 02:11 PM
30-19 Montverde over Findlay Prep at the half
Petrusev with a game leading 12 points on 4-4 behind the arc with 4 boards.

He has shown a knack for knocking down 3pt shots (a pleasant surprise).

Doesn't shoot them a ton, but makes quite a few.

Excited for this kid. Seems like a player. Hard worker. Understands angles, which is what Rui MUST work on this off-season.

Zagdawg
03-30-2018, 02:32 PM
21 pts and 7 boards in the win (5-6 from three)

ZagNative
03-30-2018, 02:42 PM
Montverde meets University at 9:00 AM tomorrow on ESPN. Set your DVRs.

thespywhozaggedme
03-30-2018, 03:04 PM

He played really well and Paul Bianchardi mentioned him coming to Gonzaga next year and how we got a really good player.

GonzaGAW
03-30-2018, 03:41 PM
- fillips 4 3's in first quarter put his team out ahead by 10 and they kept that lead the whole game.
- finishes with 5 for 6 from long range, and 21 points.

- I like that when a shot goes us he is always looking for a player to box out for a rebound
- he sets a decent, still, screen up top for his teammate

- needs work on strength is my guess, as his game is finesse, he does not look to play a physical game at all.

sittingon50
03-30-2018, 04:18 PM

That'll work.

OrlandoZag1995
04-19-2018, 10:04 AM
Let me say first that, though I am posting for the first time today, I have enjoyed reading GUBoards for years. Thank you to all those who keep the site going. I am a high school coach in the Orlando area and we played Montverde our first game of the year. We were a state final four participant in the 2A classification, but were obviously not at the level of Montverde and lost by 28.

I'd like to offer my impressions of Filip...

He is tremendously skilled for a 6'10" kid -- an elite shooter for his position. Right now, he's definitely more of a stretch 4 than a back-to-the-basket 5. Does have some trouble finishing over defenders in the lane. He seemed to have a very high basketball IQ and definitely played with an even, unselfish temperament. He struck me as a good, but not great athlete. He is well-coordinated and has good feet, but is not super quick or explosive. It's hard to tell how he would approach the game if he were "the man" on his team instead of a complimentary piece, but I think he has played so much high-level basketball that he could contribute next year if needed. The biggest question I had about him as we scouted Montverde was his general toughness. It appeared that he lacked "nastiness" and that we could be physical with him. How would he do in a D1 college basketball game? I could see him able to hold his own and provide some solid minutes. Montverde is very well coached and so his understanding of the game (spacing, passing, cutting, etc) will be good. Will he be physical and aggressive enough to defend his position and rebound effectively? We'll have to see. I could definitely see him knocking down an open shot and making good decisions with the ball -- a non-negotiable in Coach Few's system. You never can tell how a young man is going to continue to develop in college, but given the GU staff's track record of player development, I could certainly see Filip (who seems very coachable and already possesses some wonderful tools to work with) excelling at Gonzaga and being an all-WCC caliber player in the future. I am looking forward to watching his career. Welcome Filip and good luck.

caldwellzag
04-19-2018, 10:09 AM
Let me say first that, though I am posting for the first time today, I have enjoyed reading GUBoards for years. Thank you to all those who keep the site going. I am a high school coach in the Orlando area and we played Montverde our first game of the year. We were a state final four participant in the 2A classification, but were obviously not at the level of Montverde and lost by 28.

He is tremendously skilled for a 6'10" kid -- an elite shooter for his position. Right now, he's definitely more of a stretch 4 than a back-to-the-basket 5. Does have some trouble finishing over defenders in the lane. He seemed to have a very high basketball IQ and definitely played with an even, unselfish temperament. He struck me as a good, but not great athlete. He is well-coordinated and has good feet, but is not super quick or explosive. It's hard to tell how he would approach the game if he were "the man" on his team instead of a complimentary piece, but I think he has played so much high-level basketball that he could contribute next year if needed. The biggest question I had about him as we scouted Montverde was his general toughness. It appeared that he lacked "nastiness" and that we could be physical with him. How would he do in a D1 college basketball game? I could see him able to hold his own and provide some solid minutes. Montverde is very well coached and so his understanding of the game (spacing, passing, cutting, etc) will be good. Will he be physical and aggressive enough to defend his position and rebound effectively? We'll have to see. I could definitely see him knocking down an open shot and making good decisions with the ball -- a non-negotiable in Coach Few's system. You never can tell how a young man is going to continue to develop in college, but given the GU staff's track record of player development, I could certainly see Filip (who seems very coachable and already possesses some wonderful tools to work with) excelling at Gonzaga and being an all-WCC caliber player in the future. I am looking forward to watching his career. Welcome Filip and good luck.

Thank you for the write up. I am excited to see him join the team this fall!

Coach Crazy
04-19-2018, 10:16 AM

Money take. Post more, bro.

GrizZAG
04-19-2018, 10:35 AM
Welcome! Nice to have another coach on board. Thank you for the great overview.

sittingon50
04-19-2018, 11:50 AM
Thanks very much Orlando & congrats on your own successful season!

ZAG 4 LIFE
04-19-2018, 12:31 PM
Based solely on the 2 times I watched Filip on TV... this analysis appears to be spot on.
Thanks for posting.

zagamatic
04-19-2018, 12:50 PM
I haven't watched Filip play yet, but from what I've read it kinda sounds like he might be Tillie 2.0, would that be a fair comparison?

OntZags
04-19-2018, 01:37 PM
I haven't watched Filip play yet, but from what I've read it kinda sounds like he might be Tillie 2.0, would that be a fair comparison?

I only saw a couple of his HS games but kind of.

A little bigger but not as bouncy as Killian. Neither really seems to have much of a post up game but Tillie definitely has more of an ability to put the ball on the floor and get to the bucket and has more of that mid-range floater aspect to his game. Petrusev's outside shooting seems to be further developed than where Killian was at as a freshman.

Similar in overall calibre, although I think Killian would have been ranked ~20 spots higher if he had played his HS Sr year in America.

With all the talent returning (especially if Jacob makes a leap this season), I suspect he'll see a smaller role than Killian did as a freshman but this year is about him acclimatizing to D-1 and working on his body and hopefully get to pick a few spots here and there during the season to gain confidence. But in time he's going to be a very good one for the Zags.

Hoopaholic
04-19-2018, 01:41 PM
I only saw a couple of his HS games but kind of.

A little bigger but not as bouncy as Killian. Neither really seems to have much of a post up game but Tillie definitely has more of an ability to put the ball on the floor and get to the bucket and has more of that mid-range floater aspect to his game. Petrusev's outside shooting seems to be further developed than where Killian was at as a freshman.

Similar in overall calibre, although I think Killian would have been ranked ~20 spots higher if he had played his HS Sr year in America.

With all the talent returning (especially if Jacob makes a leap this season), I suspect he'll see a smaller role than Killian did as a freshman but this year is about him acclimatizing to D-1 and working on his body and hopefully get to pick a few spots here and there during the season to gain confidence. But in time he's going to be a very good one for the Zags.

3 rebounds and 4 points was what Tillie gave his freshman year so you think he can’t/won’t contribute above that level. That would disappoint me from what I have seen

OntZags
04-19-2018, 01:57 PM
3 rebounds and 4 points was what Tillie gave his freshman year so you think he can’t/won’t contribute above that level. That would disappoint me from what I have seen

It's not about raw numbers but the fact that there is only 200 minutes to go around. Tillie was the clear 4th big in 2017.

Petrusev is maybe tied for the 4th big in 2019 but Larsen brings a dynamic that we don't have with any of the other 3 bigs.

Assuming we land a quality guard, that pushes Norvell to see more minutes at the 3 and Rui at the 4.

A hypothetical top-6 of Tillie/Rui/Clarke/Norvell/Cremilliams/Perkins is gonna tally no less than 140 minutes. Almost certainly more.

Then you have Kispert/Larsen. Not likely to go down from last year of ~28 so lets say 30.

Ayayi is breaking into the rotation. How big a role remains to be seen but I'm confident in the 10-15 range.

Which doesn't leave much for everyone else. Petrusev would get the most of the remaining but it's hard to envision scenarios where he's seeing more than ~10 minutes a game barring injuries. (knock on wood) I'm excited for him but the team is deep that I think he is looking at a role somewhere between Rui & Tillie in 2017. Which is going to be fine because he is still going to develop like crazy battling such talented teammates in practice. He'll get his time to shine.

soccerdud
04-19-2018, 02:01 PM
agreed, ont. almost posted the same thing.

amaronizag
04-19-2018, 02:28 PM
I watched Tillie play for France in the 3 on 3 tournament against USA with Collins. Tillie scored every way imaginable, put the ball on the floor, drove, rebounded, passed, and was way better offensively than Filip comparing them at the same age. I'm not taking anything away from Fillip, I'm really glad to have him coming into the program, and he may turn out playing better deep in the paint. If he turns out half as good as Tillie, I'll feel like we got a good one. Tillie is special, and if he gets healthy, will be a highlight reel all of the coming season. I have no doubt Petrusev will earn as many minutes as Tillie did his Frosh year.

tyra
04-19-2018, 05:59 PM
This is why I come to the board every day. Thank you OrlandoZag!

raise the zag
04-19-2018, 06:07 PM
Tillie already considered 1st Round draft pick.

Petrusev aint there. Could develop in time, but less atheltic/mobile overall.

Both shy away from contact yet Petrusev motor is good. Sneaky good passer too.

Tillie is a special build/talent. IF he brought his A game every night, he would be our highest draft pick outside Ammo, imho.

He can do it all. Every facet. Elite shooter, can post up, rebound, defend, drive, pass, etc. He just chooses when and where to engage.

Petrusev strikes me as a player who gives his all everytime he plays.

When Tillie WANTS it, his versatility is unlike any player I've ever seen.

scrooner
04-20-2018, 06:29 AM
I watched Tillie play for France in the 3 on 3 tournament against USA with Collins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l8svTafXr4

jazzdelmar
04-20-2018, 06:41 AM
Tillie already considered 1st Round draft pick.

Petrusev aint there. Could develop in time, but less atheltic/mobile overall.

Both shy away from contact yet Petrusev motor is good. Sneaky good passer too.

Tillie is a special build/talent. IF he brought his A game every night, he would be our highest draft pick outside Ammo, imho.

He can do it all. Every facet. Elite shooter, can post up, rebound, defend, drive, pass, etc. He just chooses when and where to engage.

Petrusev strikes me as a player who gives his all everytime he plays.

When Tillie WANTS it, his versatility is unlike any player I've ever seen.

Amen.

TravelinZag
04-20-2018, 06:51 AM
Boffo first post, Orlando! Whatever delayed it, ignore it and post more often. You have excellent insight and commentary that informs, but also provokes questions, discussions and possible disagreements. These are the qualities which make this forum super! Thanks.

Go Zags!

GoZags
04-20-2018, 07:00 AM
OrlandoZag1995 for threeeeeee !!!

Nothing but twine.

zag67
04-20-2018, 07:51 AM
Orlando, keep posting. Great comments

thespywhozaggedme
04-20-2018, 07:58 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l8svTafXr4

That's my first time seeing that. Holy Cow was he impressive, he had moves that I haven't seen him make yet for us.

Coach Crazy
04-20-2018, 08:14 AM
That's my first time seeing that. Holy Cow was he impressive, he had moves that I haven't seen him make yet for us.

His body and game changed. He went from being a fluid, rangy wing to a more "stand-up-straight" stretch-ish 4.

kitzbuel
04-20-2018, 08:55 AM

I remember seeing that at the time and thinking that Tillie was as good as Collins.

thespywhozaggedme
04-20-2018, 08:58 AM
I remember seeing that at the time and thinking that Tillie was as good as Collins.

he still can be if he wants to .What separates the two is ZC has a motor that doesn't quit. Tillie is like Heytvelt, all the talent in the world.....when he wants to use it.

MDABE80
04-20-2018, 09:31 AM
His body and game changed. He went from being a fluid, rangy wing to a more "stand-up-straight" stretch-ish 4.
I like the kid from 2015 more than the 2018 model....... I wonder why he's changed his approach so much.. I had forgotten this video. Superior player in these highlights..........world class kid.

Bogozags
04-20-2018, 09:52 AM
I don't recall a single poster saying Domas 'was not ready', maybe they were bummed to lose him, but no one said he wasn't ready. His Father's lineage, family financials, and being DOMINANT in College playing 30 mpg, being "the guy", averaging 18 & 12 was more than enough.

Zach is now just started getting playing time, and his situation is different. His Father travels with him, stays with him, and has a permanent buddy/family system in place, for support, which was planned all along and BIG reason he declared at 19 yrs old.

Tillie's game isn't ready, neither is Rui's.

What more could Zach have done on his game: advanced footwork, above average athleticism, great length, toughness was already proven, high motor, hard worker, and analytics that were better than 99% of prospects similar to him.

Neither Rui nor Tillie have shown the same consistency, toughness, nor well rounded their games enough. Tillie has the skills, and even game, but what about consistency playing starter minutes? What about disappearing acts, selective motor, lack of strength etc.

Rui JUST learned what basketball terms mean in English. Not to mention honing a jump shot.

Rui is closer to being ready than Tillie, imo, yet Rui has ZERO support system without our Coaching staff. He could hire it out, but simply doesn't know enough about anything yet. His confidence is fluid and fragile, emotionally and physically.

Rui just needs more seasoning and experience. Even experiencing the spotlight.

Tillie has A TON to prove. In my opinion, he has NBA skills and a modern NBA game, but I think he's 2 yrs away, if i'm being honest. Can't coach toughness, motor, hustle, consistency. Must come within. Picking and choosing won't cut it in the NBA, esp as a practice player or playing 2 mpg in the NBA.

Rui is 1 year away. Find a jump shot from the perimeter, but more playing big minutes, and developing confidence to handle the rigors, the grown men, the media, at the next level.

When Rui develops his shot behind the arc and hits it at a rate above 37%, then he will have an incredible season and could very well turn into a Top Ten pick in the 2019 draft. He will be the most difficult player to defend next year!

gonstu
04-20-2018, 09:58 AM
When Rui develops his shot behind the arc and hits it at a rate above 37%, then he will have an incredible season and could very well turn into a Top Ten pick in the 2020 draft. He will be the most difficult player to defend next year!

Hoping he decreases the charging fouls next year too.

raise the zag
04-20-2018, 10:19 AM
When Rui develops his shot behind the arc and hits it at a rate above 37%, then he will have an incredible season and could very well turn into a Top Ten pick in the 2020 draft. He will be the most difficult player to defend next year!

If he continues to develop at the same rate he did this year, he's a shoe-in Top-10 pick in the 2019 draft. Honestly, I'm counting on Top-5. He has that kind of ability, build, game, athleticism (just found out a 7'2" wingspan too).

scrooner
04-20-2018, 10:27 AM

The entire USA-Canada game is there too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRKirZaPkuw

Collins & Pritchard on USA.

Bogozags
04-20-2018, 11:25 AM
If he continues to develop at the same rate he did this year, he's a shoe-in Top-10 pick in the 2019 draft. Honestly, I'm counting on Top-5. He has that kind of ability, build, game, athleticism (just found out a 7'2" wingspan too).

I just forgot that 19 follows 18...sorry for the confusion!

Coach Crazy
04-20-2018, 12:01 PM
I just forgot that 19 follows 18...sorry for the confusion!

You went to Washington State, didn't you?

soccerdud
04-20-2018, 01:43 PM
I like the kid from 2015 more than the 2018 model....... I wonder why he's changes his approach so much.. I had forgotten this video. Superior player in these highlights..........world class kid.

yeah, that was fun to watch... but let's not forget how different the 3v3 game is from 5v5. it's truly a different sport, particularly when we're talking about roles and key skills for "bigs". he played like a combo forward in that tourney, but i don't believe that he has shown that he has the handle (yet) to attack the defense like that in 5s, with less space and against more help (and digging guards).

truly, i don't see regression or anything here-- just a setting where tillie being good at nearly everything shows up a little more spectacularly and consistently than it can in the more organized and higher-level world of NCAA 5-a-side basketball.

Bogozags
04-20-2018, 02:07 PM
You went to Washington State, didn't you?

:lmao:

MDABE80
04-20-2018, 02:32 PM
The entire USA-Canada game is there too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRKirZaPkuw

Collins & Pritchard on USA.
Really good find Scroon!! Tillie has it in him to be a 1 st rounder but he's got to keep his motor going! No plays off and no distractions. He could be 1 st team AA.

Zagdawg
07-26-2018, 09:04 PM
Gonzaga Guru Retweeted
Serbia ���� U18 European Championship roster:

Pavle Kuzmanović
Arijan Lakić
Zoran Paunović
Altin Islamović
Uroš Trifunović
Luka Cerovina
Bogdan Nedeljković
Bogdan Rutešić
Dalibor Ilić
Toma Vasiljević
Filip Petrušev
Marko Pecarski

Coach: Aleksandar Bućan

ZagNative
07-26-2018, 11:03 PM
Zagdawg, Thank you for the heads up! And thanks to Gonzaga Guru!

Nice to see we have some fun summer watching coming up, Starting July 28! At least I'm assuming that since Filip's on the roster, he'll be playing.

FIBA U18 Website (http://www.fiba.basketball/europe/u18/2018)

7/28/18, 6:15 AM Serbia vs. Lithuania
7/29/18, 4:00 AM Serbia vs. Great Britain
7/31/18, 4:00 am Serbia vs. Montenegro

Note that the games will be streamed free on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/FIBA

Also, an update on OrlandoZag's terrific post about Filip earlier:

Bogozags
07-27-2018, 03:51 AM
ZN thanks for posting!!!

ZagNative
07-27-2018, 02:26 PM
From Twitter just now:
https://i.imgur.com/7PeVj6D.jpg

sittingon50
07-27-2018, 02:43 PM
Great pic!

ZagNative
07-27-2018, 04:25 PM
Petrusev is #3 on the roster.

Jstock12
07-28-2018, 05:21 AM
Petrusev is playing vs Lithuania RIGHT NOW, live stream on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0QSrFvyYnc

Filip is the biggest guy on the court. Dominating the glass.

P.S. Lithuanian squad is coached by the man who will be Eric McClellan's coach this upcoming season.

Bogozags
07-28-2018, 05:36 AM
"12" Thanks for the head's up...

Really like Serbia's #12 with his Matt Bouldin hair!

Bogozags
07-28-2018, 05:40 AM
I can see why Coach Few likes him so much...great footwork and PK type passing skills...

Isn't GU looking at one of the Lithuanian guards?

Jstock12
07-28-2018, 05:45 AM
I can see why Coach Few likes him so much...great footwork and PK type passing skills...

Isn't GU looking at one of the Lithuanian guards?

I believe it's Martynas Arlauskas, but unfortunately he didn't heal his injury in time to be a part of this Lithuanian team.

Jstock12
07-28-2018, 05:50 AM
So far 8 points and 5 rebounds in 12 minutes for Filip. Also a block and an assist. Got to the FT line 6 times.

Bogozags
07-28-2018, 06:01 AM
So far 8 points and 5 rebounds in 12 minutes for Filip. Also a block and an assist. Got to the FT line 6 times.

Thought he had two assists...one to the corner for #12 and another on a guard cutting to the hoop #(?)

Serbia seems to have real difficulty against the FC press...

Are we also looking at #15 Marko Pecarski(?)?

Zagceo
07-28-2018, 06:17 AM

thanks again OrlandoZag