PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL NCAA TOURNEY GAMES DISCUSSION THREAD - FINAL 4, MARCH 31

CDC84
03-29-2018, 12:20 PM
All times Pacific:

3:09pm - (11) Loyola-Chicago (3) Michigan, TBS, San Antonio
5:49pm - (1) Kansas (1) Villanova, TBS, San Antonio

MDABE80
03-29-2018, 12:29 PM
I SO want the Ramblers to shock the world. I wonder though if the posters on this board think this is a tougher Final Four than last year.
I also wonder if we had beat FSU, who thinks we could be in this FF?
Thanks for posting CDC. Throughout the tournament!

CDC84
03-29-2018, 12:43 PM
I will be rooting for the Ramblers and Wildcats, but I think Michigan is going to win. John Beilein has a whole week to prepare for them. Beilein is a genius coach.

OntZags
03-29-2018, 12:56 PM
I will be rooting for the Ramblers and Wildcats, but I think Michigan is going to win. John Beilein has a whole week to prepare for them. Beilein is a genius coach.

While I love Beilein, Ramblers on a Roll and gotta keep rolling!

Made this bet on a whim after watching them win the MVC. :pray:

https://imgur.com/a/z0QRx.jpg

rennis
03-31-2018, 06:55 AM
One year ago today at this very moment I was driving out of Las Vegas, and making a flat-out high speed burn through Santa Clause, Kingman, and Nothing to Phoenix. What a day that was.

Radbooks
03-31-2018, 01:21 PM
Go Ramblers, beat the Wolverines!!

CDC84
03-31-2018, 01:58 PM
Here we go.........

jazzdelmar
03-31-2018, 02:08 PM
Again. Why do we need Nantz doing strained intros. And is Grant Hill such a talent he only appears on final fours?

KStyles
03-31-2018, 02:09 PM
Anthem tradition is always awesome.

kitzbuel
03-31-2018, 02:16 PM
Ramblers scoring in the paint early, all Michigan shots from outside.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

jazzdelmar
03-31-2018, 02:49 PM
Michigan stinks. We would have beaten them.

VinnyZag
03-31-2018, 03:03 PM
The Loyola big guy is like Karnowski 2.0.

MDABE80
03-31-2018, 03:11 PM
Correct! At full strength we could beat anybody.

Loyola may be small but it's defense is winning this game...Always happens. Defense wins. Let's hope the Ramblers keep it up. Now that Loyola's offense has showed up, the may make it to the FF. Speedy team.

RenoZag
03-31-2018, 05:03 PM
I grow weary of Jim Nantz & Grant Hill. . .they seem to regurgitate the same cliches with every broadcast they do. . .So it goes.

jazzdelmar
03-31-2018, 05:11 PM
Nova won’t choke like Loyola’s coach who lost trust in his shooters.

Birddog
03-31-2018, 05:12 PM
I grow weary of Jim Nantz & Grant Hill. . .they seem to regurgitate the same cliches with every broadcast they do. . .So it goes.

They should add Grant to the Master's team!

Radbooks
03-31-2018, 05:16 PM
Maybe try watching one of the 'team' channels? TNT or TruTV

Birddog
03-31-2018, 05:22 PM
Maybe try watching one of the 'team' channels? TNT or TruTV

And miss out on Raftery? No way!

Radbooks
03-31-2018, 05:23 PM
And miss out on Raftery? No way!

Oh, I agree, but some people seem to be having a hard time with Nantz and Hill so I was suggesting a nice alternative. :)

RenoZag
03-31-2018, 05:29 PM
Oh, I agree, but some people seem to be having a hard time with Nantz and Hill so I was suggesting a nice alternative. :)

Haven't tried the "team feed" channels, Rad. Like Birddog, I think Raftery makes up for Jim and Grant. . .

jazzdelmar
03-31-2018, 05:30 PM
The nova channel
Is terrific. The KU channel is all homer

23dpg
03-31-2018, 05:36 PM
Nothing but 3 point shots for Villanova so far.
23 3s so far and only 4 2 points shots.

I’ve never seen anything like that.

jazzdelmar
03-31-2018, 05:46 PM
Nothing but 3 point shots for Villanova so far.
23 3s so far and only 4 2 points shots.

I’ve never seen anything like that.
Great coaching

23dpg
03-31-2018, 05:57 PM
Villanova is a great college team. I’m not sure how many pros are on the court(1? 3?), but it makes no difference. Well coached, players all know their roles.

Win this year and they’re approaching the strictest blue blood status.

CDC84
03-31-2018, 06:02 PM
I love Grant Hill once again talking about the fairy tale dome shooting factor during the first game. The Sporting News did a study a couple of years ago that definitively showed over the course of an entire decade that shooting percentages in a dome vs. an arena are nearly identical, both in terms of field goal % and 3 pt. shooting %. It's a myth that keeps being pushed by people who don't like basketball being played in domes even though it doesn't seem to bother the 78,000 or more who attend the final 4 every year and the thousands of people who wish they could attend but who got stuck on a waiting list.

CDC84
03-31-2018, 06:02 PM
Villanova is a great college team. I’m not sure how many pros are on the court(1? 3?), but it makes no difference. Well coached, players all know their roles.

Win this year and they’re approaching the strictest blue blood status.

Bridges is lottery material.

Brunson will get picked.

That's just off the top of my head.

23dpg
03-31-2018, 06:06 PM
Bridges is lottery material.

Brunson will get picked.

Agree with both. Plus DiVincenzo might have a chance in a year or two.

Brunson is a lot like NWG. He’s a great college guy but fringe pro prospect. And any comparison to NWG is a compliment.

jazzdelmar
03-31-2018, 06:24 PM
Blatant attempt by refs to close gap

23dpg
03-31-2018, 06:24 PM
Refs are giving Kansas the full underdog treatment. Every 50/50 call is going their way. And they were just gifted 2 FTs in an obvious charge call.

23dpg
03-31-2018, 06:30 PM
Kansas should have a few more FTs than Nova with all the 3s by the Wildcats.

But 16 to zero?

TexasZagFan
03-31-2018, 06:33 PM
Scot Pollard is an embarrassment. TBS should be ashamed.

jazzdelmar
03-31-2018, 06:35 PM

a tv network embarrassed? Surely you jest

Skimhvn
03-31-2018, 06:42 PM
How about FinalFour camera angle? I don't like it

RenoZag
03-31-2018, 06:50 PM
Beilein is a genius coach.

Hope his genius inspires his guys to play better defense against Villanova than Kansas did tonight, CDC

former1dog
03-31-2018, 07:01 PM

Missed it. What happened?

raise the zag
03-31-2018, 07:04 PM
I love how Nova breaks the press.

So simple, so brilliant.

Toss it up for your big to catch it as the defender is face guarding.

Streak both the guards on each side of court.

Big passes it off to either plan and open everytime.

We could easily do it with our bigs and guards.

Take notes.

If not, they through it deep and take their chances.

TexasZagFan
03-31-2018, 07:04 PM
Missed it. What happened?

KU alum, complete homer on the telecast.

Radbooks
03-31-2018, 07:07 PM

Well, you were evidently watching the KU telecast and not the Nova or National broadcast, so you shouldn't be too surprised.

Birddog
03-31-2018, 07:08 PM
What a clinic, Nova looked terrific.

CDC84
03-31-2018, 07:08 PM
The beat down that GU suffered in NYC this past season certainly makes a little more sense. Not that I didn't know that Nova was great back then.

But what has been great about them this entire tournament is how dominant they have been. So far this is sort of reminding me of the UNC team in 2008 (I think that was the year) that just breezed thru the tournament.

Michigan has gotten to the title game without really playing all that well, honestly. They won on a buzzer beater. They avoid the #2 seed in the sweet 16 and played #9 seed in the regional. They played an #11 seed at the final 4. I wouldn't be shocked if Nova won by 15 on Monday night.

jazzdelmar
03-31-2018, 07:13 PM
Nova can name the score. It should be Nova v Gonzaga. But we’d have no chance

Robzagnut
03-31-2018, 07:19 PM
Woot woot. Just won my (old) work bracket.

Have Villanova beating Michigan in the finals. No one else had UM winning and I'm in the lead in points of those who took Villanova. Finished 3rd three times and second place once, but my first win in 23 years.

TexasZagFan
03-31-2018, 07:19 PM
The beat down that GU suffered in NYC this past season certainly makes a little more sense. Not that I didn't know that Nova was great back then.

But what has been great about them this entire tournament is how dominant they have been. So far this is sort of reminding me of the UNC team in 2008 (I think that was the year) that just breezed thru the tournament.

Michigan has gotten to the title game without really playing all that well, honestly. They won on a buzzer beater. They avoid the #2 seed in the sweet 16 and played #9 seed in the regional. They played an #11 seed at the final 4. I wouldn't be shocked if Nova won by 15 on Monday night.

Will Nova shoot 50+ percent from 3 again? I still expect Nova to win handily.

TexasZagFan
03-31-2018, 07:21 PM

They also trailed the 11 seed by 10 before they woke up in the second half. You can't do that against Nova.

Robzagnut
03-31-2018, 07:24 PM

Sorry, but I didn't like it when other teams fans said this about Gonzaga last year and I certainly don't like it now. Michigan played the teams they were dealt and beat them all. GU won with a buzzer beater last year too against S. Carolina. Who cares what seeds they played and when they played them. They dominated the Big 10 tournament and they played really well all three weekends.

Congrats to them.

scrooner
03-31-2018, 07:25 PM
Nova vs GU
47.6% from 3 (10-21), rebound margin +1, point differential +16

Nova vs KU
45.0% from 3 (18-40), rebound margin even, point differential +16

former1dog
03-31-2018, 07:28 PM
Sorry, but I didn't like it when other teams fans said this about Gonzaga last year and I certainly don't like it now. Michigan played the teams they were dealt and beat them all. GU won with a buzzer beater last year too against S. Carolina. Who cares what seeds they played and when they played them. They dominated the Big 10 tournament and they played really well all three weekends.

Congrats to them.

I agree with the sentiment. I do think Villanova is going to win comfortably, though.

VinnyZag
03-31-2018, 08:01 PM
Agree with both. Plus DiVincenzo might have a chance in a year or two.

Brunson is a lot like NWG. He’s a great college guy but fringe pro prospect. And any comparison to NWG is a compliment.

DiVincenzo is mediocre, not half the player that Norvell (for instance) is. Spellman could have a future thougj.

AzZag
03-31-2018, 08:52 PM

With Tillie it would have been hard
Without him no chance

Norvell and Rui are the only two players that could hang with Michigan.
Simpson would have chewed up Josh bad. Like real bad.
Abdur Rahman would have toasted Silas.
We donít have anyone that could handle Matthews. Please donít say Kispert.

Our horrible 3 point defense would burn us vs Robinson and Wagner.

Zach and Rui would keep us in it but their defense would shut us down and worn us out like they did Loyola.

So to say they stink is ridiculous. There are 40 minutes in regulation.

Robzagnut
03-31-2018, 09:55 PM

Then you did not watch the Big 10 tournament.

They dominated Michigan State, again. And beat an excellent Purdue team by 9. They got hot at the right time and carried their momentum to the championship game. I've pick Villanova to win, but I don't think it's going to be a blowout like many have predicted. UM's defense is too good and they've played a lot of tough teams this year, so they're not going to get intimidated.

23dpg
03-31-2018, 10:19 PM
DiVincenzo is mediocre, not half the player that Norvell (for instance) is. Spellman could have a future thougj.

Mediocre? Agree to disagree, greatly.

Completely different players but there’s no way he’s half as good as Norvell. He’s more athletic and bouncier. Norvell is craftier and probably a better shooter and scorer.

CDC84
04-01-2018, 01:14 AM

Congrats to them.

I agree with you in part. I hate it when critics do that as well. You can only deal with the hand you are dealt.

But you and I couldn't see the game of basketball more differently when it comes to this one team.

I thought long and hard about this tonight – I don’t know if I have seen a team in the past 30 years of college basketball who has made the title game despite playing as poorly as Michigan has throughout almost this entire tournament. The team we have seen in 5 games is not how good they can be. Part of my point is that the quality of the competition they have faced hasn’t been the cause of that. They have mainly been doing it to themselves. The first half today was a perfect illustration. At the same time, there is zero question in my mind, if they had been given a more challenging path, they would be out of this thing by now. This is despite the fact that I said on this very board that I felt they were the best team in the west region and the most difficult team for GU to take down. But they have not played well in this tournament.

Comparing them to Gonzaga last year is not a good comparison because I feel Gonzaga, for the most part, played really good last March. Michigan just hasn’t, period. Also, Gonzaga had a tougher path last year than Michigan got this year. In game one GU played okay against South Dakota State. They played 33 minutes of great ball against NW. They played great against WVU in the S-16 (who I felt would be a tougher matchup than even Arizona). They played their best game of the year against Xavier in the E-8. They played okay in the national semi vs. South Carolina, and played really good against UNC in the title game. In other words, despite their so-called “easy path” (again, much harder than Michigan’s), the Zags played really good for the most part.

I don’t see how any basketball fan who has seen Michigan play at their best this season can see them as playing anything better than mediocre or poor right now. I just can't, I'm sorry. Maybe 30 minutes of good TEAM basketball the entire tournament? The path they have been given is like a conveyer belt that has carried them to the title game where no matter who poorly they play, they advance. I guarantee you that John Beilein and his whole staff know the team is not playing well right now, and that they are thankful for what has happened so far. But that changes when they face Villanova on Monday. Based on how they have played so far, it’s just hard for me to imagine them turning on the jet stream and becoming that powerful west region team I thought they were at the start of the dance.

John Wooden commented many times that the scoreboard isn’t always a reflection of how good a team is playing. It can be deceiving. I won’t say that the “easy road” is the only reason why Michigan is in the final, but given how poorly they have played, I just don’t see how anyone can say it hasn’t been a factor. Let me put it to you like this…..if Gonzaga played as poorly last season as Michigan has during long durations during this tourney, NW and WVU would’ve sent the Zags packing last season.

But if you think Michigan is playing great, we don't have a discussion anyway. What you see as great basketball is what I see as poor basketball. I cannot honestly think of a team who has played this poorly to get to the title game in the past 30 seasons. Congrats to them, I guess. But it doesn't give me much faith that they are going to beat Nova on Monday. And if they do, they will have finally played great.

OntZags
04-01-2018, 04:00 AM
I agree with you in part. I hate it when critics do that as well. You can only deal with the hand you are dealt.

But you and I couldn't see the game of basketball more differently when it comes to this one team.

Do you have any appreciation for defense? Or is pretty offense the only thing that defines playing great in your eyes?

Michigan has been great defensively this tournament. Full stop. Every game.

Their offense has been inconsistent to be sure but that is just the nature of their team. They aren't that gifted offensively and have been inconsistent all season long. But they've bought in defensively and are absolute monsters on that end of the court and have shown it all tourney long.

And are you seriously saying they didn't play great against Texas A&M? They obliterated them immediately after A&M had just destroyed UNC themselves.

They did what they needed to do against a scrappy Montana team. (just like us vs SDSt)
Houston is a damn tough team and having to grind it out with them to the wire is absolutely no shame. (certainly no worse than how we fared vs a weaker Northwestern)
Then they destroyed A&M. (akin to us vs Xavier 1 rd later)
Then they had to grind out a win against an exhausting and deep opponent. (we saw firsthand how tough FSU was in many of the same ways WVU was last season)
And yeah it was a tough game against Loyola but Loyola isn't ranked 17th defensively on kenpom as fluke. Loyola is a very good defensive team that made Michigan work for it, much like us with a slightly but not significantly better South Carolina team.

Yeah if you think they had a much easier road or much poorer display than we did last year you are frustratingly devoid of objectivity. They haven't been the prettiest in the tourney but their defense has been excellent the whole way and carried them through, much like GU's defense last season.

Robzagnut
04-01-2018, 05:16 AM
But if you think Michigan is playing great, we don't have a discussion anyway. What you see as great basketball is what I see as poor basketball. I cannot honestly think of a team who has played this poorly to get to the title game in the past 30 seasons. Congrats to them, I guess. But it doesn't give me much faith that they are going to beat Nova on Monday. And if they do, they will have finally played great.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I'm a college bball junkie. I take the first Thursday and Friday off from work every year (for the past 17+ years), so I can watch 16 games a day on Thurs-Fri and 8 games on Sat-Sun. The cable package used to cost $175 for that weekend, so you could get all the games. I didn't care. It's my favorite weekend. After college bball is over I cancel my TV package for the summer, because I don't watch TV until the NFL starts up.

So, I watch a lot of games. I also watch the conference tournaments. Love them. Big East used to be my favorite going back to the Chris Mullen, Patrick Ewing, Louie Carnesecca sweater days. Until Syracuse left and it destroyed the conference (and Pitt and UConn basketball).

I do think Michigan is playing great. It's the way they play. Their offense ain't pretty... they sputter, they spurt, and they look really bad at times. Their offense lost a lot when DJ Wilson left for the draft unexpectedly last year. But, they score enough to win. You could see them start to gel in the Big 10 tourney. They dominated some really good teams.

But, man-o-man THAT defense. And defense wins championships... and a lot of games in the NCAA tournament. If it's an ugly game and it's all mucked up, that's right in Michigan's wheelhouse. If a couple of UM players get hot then they have a chance. I fully expect Villanova to win, I picked them to beat UM in the finals (yes, I damn proud of that prediction) but it's going to be closer than many think.

AzZag
04-01-2018, 03:05 PM
CDC84,
You’re bitter. And jealous.
I was there in person to watch Michigan destroy Texas A & M. Michigan has beat some of the hottest and trendy teams in the tourney. Everyone was on the A & M wagon. People loved Houston and their star player Gray. They beat a talented FSU team that we couldn’t. The whole world worshipped Sister Jean and Loyola. They beat those teams who had been playing out of their minds and wilth supreme confidence. There are good reason why all of those teams advanced.
Aside from last nights Nova destruction of Kansas , their win vs A & M was the best anyone’s played the entire tourney.

Nova is the best team in hoops right now and it’s not close. But for you to discredit all that Michigan has done is short sighted and I question your basketball acumen.

surfmonkey89
04-02-2018, 07:24 PM
I wouldn't be shocked if Nova won by 15 on Monday night.

Dude, you are so bitter and devoid of objectivity.

:roll:

thespywhozaggedme
04-04-2018, 11:53 AM

lol, how did I miss this post. They had 3 broadcasts, a national one, a Kansas homer one and a Nova homer one. You didn't realize you were watching the Kansas broadcast despite it saying it on the screen. lol

cbbfanatic
04-05-2018, 09:18 AM

Congrats to them.

watch gonzaga run through a bunch of top tier teams during a deep run and then tell me it doesnt matter/who cares. fact of the matter is that gonzaga had a really fortunate draw last year and took advantage. i dont see what it gains anyone in being in denial about that. Could they have run through Zona & Duke/Nova on their side of the bracket? i dont know... and neither do you. But i can assure you this much, if you were sitting here thinking back to that run that DID include wins over 2 of those 3, you would talk about it and remember it differently

you play who is in front of you, definitely. but it's infinitely more gratifying and creates the feeling of repeatability if you can have success in the tournament against big time teams. it's also so much more memorable

hard to understand how that's even debatable, but i got banned for a similar comment before, so there must be something dangerous about it

MDABE80
04-05-2018, 11:24 AM
"Nova is the best team in hoops right now and it’s not close. But for you to discredit all that Michigan has done is short sighted and I question your basketball acumen"..says AzZag.

Well I think you're alone in the last 5 words.

Robzagnut
04-05-2018, 12:25 PM
watch gonzaga run through a bunch of top tier teams during a deep run and then tell me it doesnt matter/who cares. fact of the matter is that gonzaga had a really fortunate draw last year and took advantage. i dont see what it gains anyone in being in denial about that. Could they have run through Zona & Duke/Nova on their side of the bracket? i dont know... and neither do you. But i can assure you this much, if you were sitting here thinking back to that run that DID include wins over 2 of those 3, you would talk about it and remember it differently

you play who is in front of you, definitely. but it's infinitely more gratifying and creates the feeling of repeatability if you can have success in the tournament against big time teams. it's also so much more memorable

hard to understand how that's even debatable, but i got banned for a similar comment before, so there must be something dangerous about it

Disagree utterly and completely.

I could care less whether or not Gonzaga beat a 13 seed instead of a 4 seed, or a 14 seed instead of a 3 seed on their way to the Final Four. All that matters is they got there. It's not GU's job to make sure the high seeds win. It's their job to beat the teams in their path and it does not diminish their accomplishment in the least.

When people look back in 3-5 years and when I look back to other Final Four teams, no one remembers who they beat to get there. All they remember was they were there. Only whiney, sour grapes fans of teams that woulda-coulda-shoulda been there troll and complain about the teams that did get there. You don't seem to get that seeding is just a number. There is parity in college basketball and any team can beat another one on any given day (ask Virginia). Getting to the title game is a HUGE accomplishment no matter who you play.

cbbfanatic
04-06-2018, 07:57 AM
Disagree utterly and completely.

I could care less whether or not Gonzaga beat a 13 seed instead of a 4 seed, or a 14 seed instead of a 3 seed on their way to the Final Four. All that matters is they got there. It's not GU's job to make sure the high seeds win. It's their job to beat the teams in their path and it does not diminish their accomplishment in the least.

When people look back in 3-5 years and when I look back to other Final Four teams, no one remembers who they beat to get there. All they remember was they were there. Only whiney, sour grapes fans of teams that woulda-coulda-shoulda been there troll and complain about the teams that did get there. You don't seem to get that seeding is just a number. There is parity in college basketball and any team can beat another one on any given day (ask Virginia). Getting to the title game is a HUGE accomplishment no matter who you play.

of course getting there is big no matter what, but answer me this...

as a fan, what do you think YOU would remember more fondly, and what do you think YOU would have enjoyed more in the moment, keeping in mind the end "result" is the same?

16 seed
8/9 Northwestern
4 WVU
11 Xavier
7 South Carolina

---- OR ----

16 seed
8/9 Northwestern
4 WVU
2 Zona
1 VU/Duke

i find it impossible to believe that there is no difference to you. GU fans love to talk about being elite, i feel like that argument holds a lot more water if they can point to wins over elite teams. what's the stat... 10+ years since they beat a top 5 team? 0 for their last 10+ against the top 10? that cannot make you feel all warm and fuzzy about your elite zags. a run like the second one listed above erases a lot of that. a run like the above also lets you watch coach k, wright, miller walk off the court in defeat, with the zags having ended their season. there's something to that

and for me personally, i remember the big wins more than anything else. and when i look back at my teams best accomplishments, it's always those individual big game transactions. they all feed a bigger picture, but i remember the individual high points. i think most people are probably like me

stanford and florida are pretty big memories for OG zag fans i would think. those were high point moments. moments where the team stepped up and took down a big opponent in a big spot. doesnt that stand out?

Hoopaholic
04-06-2018, 08:00 AM

as a fan, what do you think YOU would remember more fondly, and what do you think YOU would have enjoyed more in the moment, keeping in mind the end "result" is the same?

16 seed
8/9 Northwestern
4 WVU
11 Xavier
7 South Carolina

---- OR ----

16 seed
8/9 Northwestern
4 WVU
2 Zona
1 VU/Duke

i find it impossible to believe that there is no difference to you. GU fans love to talk about being elite, i feel like that argument holds a lot more water if they can point to wins over elite teams. what's the stat... 10+ years since they beat a top 5 team? 0 for their last 10+ against the top 10? that cannot make you feel all warm and fuzzy about your elite zags. a run like the second one listed above erases a lot of that. a run like the above also lets you watch coach k, wright, miller walk off the court in defeat, with the zags having ended their season. there's something to that

and for me personally, i remember the big wins more than anything else. and when i look back at my teams best accomplishments, it's always those individual big game transactions. they all feed a bigger picture, but i remember the individual high points. i think most people are probably like me

stanford and florida are pretty big memories for OG zag fans i would think. those were high point moments. moments where the team stepped up and took down a big opponent in a big spot. doesnt that stand out?

I enjoy and remember the journey and it does not matter who we travel through during that journey personally it is more about our team, our players and how they improve, engage and fight for wins against ANYONE in my book

Robzagnut
04-06-2018, 08:18 AM

16 seed
8/9 Northwestern
4 WVU
11 Xavier
7 South Carolina

---- OR ----

16 seed
8/9 Northwestern
4 WVU
2 Zona
1 VU/Duke

Makes no difference to me at all. Seriously. The Jordan Mathews shot will stand out much more to me than Florida or Stanford, because it allowed GU to get further than ever before. The butt kicking of Xavier is my favorite game of all time, because it got GU into the Final Four and legitimized GU as a program. I was giddy with joy that whole game. Not only did they get there, they absolutely crushed Xavier and put no doubt in anyone's mind that they deserved to be there.

I have 5 Final Four t-shirts and sweatshirts. Two from the bookstore (I bought 8 for friends & family) and 3 came from friends who attended the Final Four tournament. I don't remember seeing anything on my shirts or the hundreds I've seen around town that have an asterisk on them stating,

* We didn't play Arizona or Duke.

And I'm going to use someone's words who knows much better than the two of us, Mark Few (from a Blanchette article),

GU head coach Mark Few offered that just winning any NCAA game, "is the hardest thing you do."

Do you think he cares who they played? It doesn't matter to me who or what seed. Doesn't diminish their path or accomplishments in the least. As a witness to GU basketball for over 25 years, I really don't care who they beat just as long as they win.

Zagceo
04-06-2018, 08:24 AM

16 seed
8/9 Northwestern
4 WVU
11 Xavier
7 South Carolina

---- OR ----

16 seed
8/9 Northwestern
4 WVU
2 Zona
1 VU/Duke

Who is your team?

cbbfanatic
04-06-2018, 09:09 AM
Who is your team?

the champs

grew up in spokane, followed zags religiously as a kid (was in HS during the emergence), went to villanova

the hardware that has stacked up recently is awesome, but the memories are in the games... the high points...

--buzzer beater against 1 seed UNC for the title
--exorcising the beilien demons to win 2nd title in 3 yrs
--beating #1 overall Kansas in the elite 8 2 yrs ago
--destroying 1 seed kansas last week to get back to the title game
--beating oklahoma and POY buddy hield by 40+ in the f4
--beating 1 seed pitt (real thorn in our sides) to get to 09 f4
--thrashing 2 seed duke in 09 to get to the elite 8

granted, these all led to big accomplishments on the marketing side of things, but the most memorable for me is going toe to toe with institutions i'd like to consider to be or aspire to be peers, and coming out on top. on a huge stage. there is no substitute. you'll notice i dont list the texas tech game this year to get back to teh f4... just didnt have the pop... wasnt that challenging. felt more like activity than achievement

edited to add: in conference, it's been really great just destroying xavier in almost every meeting. as gratifying as the overall conference dominance since the reboot

Robzagnut
04-06-2018, 09:53 AM
the champs

grew up in spokane, followed zags religiously as a kid (was in HS during the emergence), went to villanova

the hardware that has stacked up recently is awesome, but the memories are in the games... the high points...

granted, these all led to big accomplishments on the marketing side of things, but the most memorable for me is going toe to toe with institutions i'd like to consider to be or aspire to be peers, and coming out on top. on a huge stage. there is no substitute. you'll notice i dont list the texas tech game this year to get back to teh f4... just didnt have the pop... wasnt that challenging. felt more like activity than achievement

edited to add: in conference, it's been really great just destroying xavier in almost every meeting. as gratifying as the overall conference dominance since the reboot

Now it all make sense. I couldn't understand why any fan would care about who their team played in the NCAA tournament.

All your disparaging comments were made with one purpose, so finally someone would ask you "who is your team?" so you could post one of the most smug, sickening, pat-yourself-on-the-back comments I've ever seen.

You're just another insufferable hater who is bragging on his team, disparages another team's path and tries to suck the joy out of other fan's enjoyment of their team. Thank you TROLL, you've won the internet today! Sheesh. Sore losers are bad, but sore winners are 1000 times worse.

cbbfanatic
04-06-2018, 11:02 AM
Now it all make sense. I couldn't understand why any fan would care about who their team played in the NCAA tournament.

All your disparaging comments were made with one purpose, so finally someone would ask you "who is your team?" so you could post one of the most smug, sickening, pat-yourself-on-the-back comments I've ever seen.

You're just another insufferable hater who is bragging on his team, disparages another team's path and tries to suck the joy out of other fan's enjoyment of their team. Thank you TROLL, you've won the internet today! Sheesh. Sore losers are bad, but sore winners are 1000 times worse.

opposing viewpoints = trolling?
placing highest value on beating top tier teams = trolling?

to value big, noteworthy wins isn't inherently disparaging to gonzaga... you're making that connection yourself. and if i wanted to troll on the basis of my alma mater (as non-sensical as that is), i'd just come right out of the gates and hit it on the head. i've posted sporadically (mostly offseason, in bigger picture threads) for years, mentioning VU extremely rarely based on lack of relevance. i'd rather not mention them in a thread like this, but i was asked.

honestly, i think you are showing some insecurity here. clearly i hit a nerve with you, so let's just call it a day

jazzdelmar
04-06-2018, 11:09 AM
Ahh, that does explain a lot. CBB is a Nova grad. And he fits the profile all of us from NYC are familiar with.

Robzagnut
04-06-2018, 12:04 PM
opposing viewpoints = trolling?
placing highest value on beating top tier teams = trolling?

to value big, noteworthy wins isn't inherently disparaging to gonzaga... you're making that connection yourself. and if i wanted to troll on the basis of my alma mater (as non-sensical as that is), i'd just come right out of the gates and hit it on the head. i've posted sporadically (mostly offseason, in bigger picture threads) for years, mentioning VU extremely rarely based on lack of relevance. i'd rather not mention them in a thread like this, but i was asked.

honestly, i think you are showing some insecurity here. clearly i hit a nerve with you, so let's just call it a day

Excuse me, I’m the one showing insecurity?!?!?

I’m the one stating over and over that I love that my team was in the Final Four and it doesn’t matter how they got there.

You on the other hand come onto another team’s site and tell me over and over that I would have enjoyed my team’s success better if they had beat a #1 seed. I kept saying, “I don’t care.” But you persisted that it’s much better to beat higher seeds. Then you post this absolutely smug-ass, condescending comment about, “See, look at me. This is how they should do it,”

Who is the insecure one? I don’t go on a single other team’s site and post how they should or shouldn’t enjoy their wins. And if that’s not the definition of a TROLL then I don’t know what is.

Zagceo
04-06-2018, 12:16 PM
the champs

you've been a GU Boards member since 2007..nice

Can you recommend a Nova board to visit?

Robzagnut
04-06-2018, 12:27 PM
you've been a GU Boards member since 2007..nice

Can you recommend a Nova board to visit?

Check out the Philadelphia Eagles site.

He’s probably the Seahawk fan who is telling the Eagle fans that they would have enjoyed their Super Bowl victory more if Brady’s hand wasn’t injured or if Malcolm Butler wouldn’t have been benched.

bballbeachbum
04-07-2018, 07:47 AM
I enjoy and remember the journey and it does not matter who we travel through during that journey personally it is more about our team, our players and how they improve, engage and fight for wins against ANYONE in my book

+1

MDABE80
04-07-2018, 09:07 AM
All this took an interesting turn.......CBB's a good poster. Truth be known, any team's run tot he FF may not include the biggest names. Some of the higher end, bigger name blue blood types teams will be bypassed. Despite that, if one reviews the games, the teams who get past the Swt 16 a playing at their peak. Makes for tough games no matter the name of the opposing team.

kitzbuel
04-07-2018, 09:26 AM
Ahh, that does explain a lot. CBB is a Nova grad. And he fits the profile all of us from NYC are familiar with.Not a troll, but definitely Main Line.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk