PDA

View Full Version : Surfs Up -- Off to Maui

77Zag
03-27-2018, 04:07 AM
A bucket list item in process... We have our room and flights

Looking for some experienced board members to give me advice on the Maui Invitational -- tickets, logistics, what to expect, etc.

Can't wait to get my first look at the 18-19 Zags!!

I really enjoyed this last season, lower than normal expectations and high achievement IMO.

Go Zags!!

jazzdelmar
03-27-2018, 04:11 AM

Looking for some experienced board members to give me advice on the Maui Invitational -- tickets, logistics, what to expect, etc.

I really enjoyed this last season, lower than normal expectations and high achievement IMO.

Go Zags!!

The Maui site is presently accepting rez for the event. Unclear if it includes game tix. Not inexpensive. But the field is absurd. An Elite 8.

raise the zag
03-27-2018, 07:15 AM
I'm waiting til April 20th to book my tix.

Decision day.

IF Tillie & Rui both return, I'm going and expect nothing less than a competitive, amazing weekend of bball.

IF not, then its still Maui, yet not gettin' through that murderers rows of teams. Would be tense on the beach and forced to drink too many Mai Thai's to forget going 0-fer over there....

I suppose its kind of an incentive to myself.

amaronizag
03-27-2018, 07:22 AM
An absolute Maui MUST is reservations for dinner at Momma's Fish House.

thespywhozaggedme
03-27-2018, 07:28 AM

Go Zags!!

Uh....I would have waited if I were you because it is against NCAA rules for two teams from the same conference to be in the same tournament and San Diego State is already scheduled to play in it. That's why we are waiting.

strikenowhere
03-27-2018, 08:09 AM
Uh....I would have waited if I were you because it is against NCAA rules for two teams from the same conference to be in the same tournament and San Diego State is already scheduled to play in it. That's why we are waiting.

They make exceptions for this all the time.

EDIT: Well not all the time, but they have certainly made exceptions in the recent past; I remember this happening a few years back with a couple of teams slated to play a tournament that were now both in the Big East.

Hoopaholic
03-27-2018, 08:11 AM
An absolute Maui MUST is reservations for dinner at Momma's Fish House.

oh yea at 6;30 sunset too.....wow my favorite place on Maui

OntZags
03-27-2018, 08:35 AM
The Maui site is presently accepting rez for the event. Unclear if it includes game tix. Not inexpensive. But the field is absurd. An Elite 8.

Not so sure about that.

Assuming at least 2/3 Zags come back, the only teams I feel comfortable putting top-10 are Duke & Gonzaga.

Arizona is in shambles for next season. Could miss tourney altogether, provided they are even eligible.

Iowa St. should be much improved but I don't know if they'll be that improved. A lot hinges on whether Wigginton and/or Lard leave early.

San Diego St. is losing Kell/Pope. I doubt they'll be do much better than around where they were this season.

Xavier is losing their coach and top-3 players in Blueitt, Macura & Kanter. They wont be sniffing anywhere near the 1 seed line next season.

Auburn should be very solid again.

Illinois still a crapshoot. Not sure Underwood will be bringing a huge turnaround out there just yet.

This tourney would have been better this season than next I reckon. But thankfully no Chaminade so there's no chance for any *bad* games. Gotta take care of business and hope Duke does too so we can have at least one guaranteed marquee win opportunity. (whereas the rest might just be 'ok to good' wins as opposed to great)

gonzagafan62
03-27-2018, 09:57 AM
Not so sure about that.

Assuming at least 2/3 Zags come back, the only teams I feel comfortable putting top-10 are Duke & Gonzaga.

Arizona is in shambles for next season. Could miss tourney altogether, provided they are even eligible.

Iowa St. should be much improved but I don't know if they'll be that improved. A lot hinges on whether Wigginton and/or Lard leave early.

San Diego St. is losing Kell/Pope. I doubt they'll be do much better than around where they were this season.

Xavier is losing their coach and top-3 players in Blueitt, Macura & Kanter. They wont be sniffing anywhere near the 1 seed line next season.

Illinois still a crapshoot. Not sure Underwood will be bringing a huge turnaround out there just yet.

This tourney would have been better this season than next I reckon. But thankfully no Chaminade so there's no chance for any *bad* games. Gotta take care of business and hope Duke does too so we can have at least one guaranteed marquee win opportunity. (whereas the rest might just be 'ok to good' wins as opposed to great)

Yup the Maui field is pretty meh. Not very good imo. Just a couple really great teams and borderline tourney teams. Arizona should still be OK, but other than that nah....

ZagMan in Philly
03-27-2018, 10:07 AM
oh yea at 6;30 sunset too.....wow my favorite place on Maui

+1, and yes, food is good too.

Don't think We can swing for this trip this year, unless we hit the lottery. Enjoy!

23dpg
03-27-2018, 12:45 PM
Not so sure about that.

What if this was the Maui lineup for 2017?
Florida State
Loyola Chicago
Michigan
Kansas State
Texas Tech
Kansas
Villanova
Duke

Wouldn't you say basically the same thing heading into the year?

thebigsmoove
03-27-2018, 12:47 PM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/kansas-michigan-state-and-ucla-head-strong-2019-maui-field/2018/03/27/a2ca7fba-31f1-11e8-b6bd-0084a1666987_story.html?utm_term=.40d4303ed703

Side note: BYU is in the 2019 Maui field.

mgadfly
03-27-2018, 05:02 PM
What if this was the Maui lineup for 2017?
Florida State
Loyola Chicago
Michigan
Kansas State
Texas Tech
Kansas
Villanova
Duke

Wouldn't you say basically the same thing heading into the year?

We’d need a time machine. Lol

I wish they started every season with a do-over of the Sweet 16.

ConnZag3
03-27-2018, 07:19 PM
Any true college basketball fan has to do the Maui Invitational at least once. It's an incredible experience watching games there after having watched it on TV so many times. I went in 2016 and it was totally worth it, though as has been mentioned already it's definitely not cheap.

If you buy the travel package from their website it comes with tickets, otherwise, they usually don't start selling tickets outside of a package until August or September and usually those are for all the games, not just for the GU games if you're only looking to attend those.

TheGonzagaFactor
03-28-2018, 06:27 AM

Easy exception to make. Come on, like they'd rip a team out of something like that only a few months ahead of time after many of their fans have already booked travel. I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be the MWC team getting the boot, either.

This happened with Butler and someone else that moved to the A10/BE with them. I think it was Xavier... so they ended up playing in that MTE in November and twice more in the conference season.

75Zag
03-28-2018, 06:35 PM
Have a great time. I will be there with my entire extended family because when you are 65 (almost) and your cardiologist lectures you every 90 days about your negative lifestyle choices, how many more Maui Classics can there be? As far as getting tickets, we have always been able to buy them at the door or via Craig's List, but the 2018 lineup of teams is pretty impressive so it may be good to explore early options - if you can find them. Check out the Lahina Safeway for the best pre-game and post-game food options on earth, all at prices way below restaurants.

That's all I have to say, as it is time for me to get back to my negative lifestyle choices.

Go Bulldogs!