PDA

View Full Version : Players who improved their draft stock

TexasZagFan
03-26-2018, 12:50 PM
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/players-who-improved-their-draft-stock-in-tournament/ar-BBKIMuj?ocid=spartanntp

Rui Hachimura, F, Gonzaga
The 6-foot-8 sophomore from Japan had a terrific sophomore season (11.6 ppg), giving 20 to Mo Bamba and Texas; 23 points to Jock Landale and St. Mary's; and then he had good back-to-back performances in the NCAA Tournament. His 25 points were instrumental in beating Ohio State; he had 16-9 against FSU in defeat. Hachimura could come out and get drafted maybe in the late 1st round. He only made five three-pointers all season. He just turned 20 in February. But the NBA drafts on potential. He could be a Top 10 lottery pick in 2019 if he keeps progressing.

No surprise here, or new ground broken...just adds to the drumbeat, IMO.

Obviously, I hope he stays one more year.

TacomaZAG
03-26-2018, 01:06 PM
Thanks for sharing TZF.

IMHO, it is really important for Rui to get a lot of minutes next year at the 3, as that is where he will most likely play at the next level, whether in the NBA or overseas. He needs to show the scouts he can hit the 3 at 35%+, as well as improve his defense against wing players. He will likely play some 4 next year as well, but he is a 3............

Agree that he could be a Top 10 lottery pick in 2019 if he keeps progressing.

Put him on the AMMO track, to leave after his Jr. year.

Go ZAGS

Skimhvn
03-26-2018, 02:01 PM
A Japanese US sports fan says:
-Rui should declare the draft this year
-He would be a 1st round pick enough
-NCAA restricts practices
-No meaning for learning Gonzaga system to play in pro
-Rui struggled with team defense in the early season, which shows NCAA didn't give a enough practice time from Spring to Summer
-I don't understand why some people say he should stay 1more year

Any thought, native Zag fans?

TexasZagFan
03-26-2018, 02:10 PM
-Rui struggled with team defense in the early season, which shows NCAA didn't give a enough practice time from Spring to Summer

Rui lost valuable "practice time" last summer while playing for his country in the FIBA World games. He was forced into playing center most of the time, which didn't help with his development at his natural position, small forward.

Rui has been playing high level basketball for only two years. He needs to develop a consistent shot from 3 point before he enters the draft.

The Volkar Center was meant for players like Rui: 24/7 access to a practice facility where he can work on his game.

raise the zag
03-26-2018, 02:13 PM
The deepest draft in a decade.

Nuff said.

He would be a late 1st Rd pick this year, Top 10 or Top 5 in next year's predictably thin draft.

That's the difference b/w 1 mil and 3.5 mil for his first 3 years. It would take him nearly 3 seasons to make what he could in 1 season as a Top 5 pick.

No brainer.

The pressure from Japan concerns me. As another poster mentioned, an entire country wants him in the NBA ASAP, then again, Japanese endorsements would be HUGE payouts.

Hooray4Daye&Gray
03-26-2018, 02:17 PM

Thanks for posting! I've enjoyed reading your posts, and really enjoy watching Rui play. Also, Japan is my favorite place in the world to visit.

I think some of the consensus reasons we would say it may be to Rui's benefit to stay one more year are:

-He can develop more in college next year than in the pros, because he will get more minutes at Gonzaga than on a pro team
-He can work on his shot and playing more like a true wing player instead of a down low player, which translates to how he'd be used in the pros
-His struggles with team defense in my opinion have more to do with recognition and communication than lack of practice time
-He can progress naturally and have a better chance to last longer in the pros, instead of risking that his increase in skills will slow down and a pro team will lose patience in waiting for him. For a player picked late in the first round, it's all about if you can earn a second contract to really maximize the financial benefit of playing in the pros. The first contract isn't all that great.

Rui made a really nice improvement from year one to year two. With more hard work, he can make another nice improvement from year two to year three and secure his future in the pros for a long time. He'll have to wait an extra year before earning money, but he'll end up earning much more if he waits to go pro until he is really ready.

MDABE80
03-26-2018, 02:31 PM
In a deep draft, he's just not good enough at this time in his career. He's a good college player with amazing skills in evolution. Really does need another year and then see. Who knows what promises he'll get. He'll have better opportunities if he stays and develops skills in 18-19.

TexasZagFan
03-26-2018, 02:35 PM
In a deep draft, he's just not good enough at this time in his career. He's a good college player with amazing skills in evolution. Really does need another year and then see. Who knows what promises he'll get. He'll have better opportunities if he stays and develops skills in 18-19.

Plus he'll have more meaningful minutes against higher quality opponents in the MWC. He simply overwhelmed the vast majority of WCC players.

Malastein
03-26-2018, 03:00 PM

Iíll take this point by point:

1. Rui should stay and get guaranteed skill development and confidence by dominating at the collegiate level. Also, if he stays then I think he could become a true Gonzaga legend if heís able to win a National Title.
2. He could wind up as a top 3 pick next season. Heís still learning the English language, and Gonzaga has clearly put a lot of work into this young man off the court as well. In one more year, I think heíll make an Adam Morrison like leap. Thatís bigger money later, and I think Rui has the mentality to recognize that.
3. Thatís probably true, but Iím sure these guys learn a lot from kicking it in summertime with some really amazing former Zags.
4. Gonzaga ran a system that was remarkably similar to what the Golden State Warriors run. I think heís fine with continuing to grow his role in the system.
5. This isnít a fair statement because defense takes more communication and cohesion than offense. This team had only 4 guys who had played together before. This team made great strides over the year, and itíd be amazing to watch him become a beast on both ends.
6. Iíd like to see him develop the nightly confidence that comes with how Gonzaga has developed stars over the years at the collegiate level. He could garner NPOY awards and become a Gonzaga legend. I really think heíd make more money long term, and I think he could go down as the GOAT Zag. This reminds me a bit of Austin Daye and what if he had stayed.

sittingon50
03-26-2018, 03:46 PM
I think he should stay.

I don't understand the argument that because he's a 3 in the pros that he needs to play the 3 @ GU to get prepared. Since when has Few put his players in a spot to best enhance their pro prospects? He's going to put HIS best 5 out on the court. Otherwise J3 plays his best spot this year (4) & I guess Larsen plays the 5.

Skimhvn
03-26-2018, 04:15 PM
I don't know what he should do, but I think he should stay b/c he doesn't have enough confidence of 1st round. Zag would give him enough play time to dominate the game next year, so it's not too late after he learns to control game. If he isn't even picked next year, that's no problem, no regret.

Zagceo
03-26-2018, 04:22 PM
It would be like sending a 15 year old kid out on tour....not gonna happen....thats the way it was explained to me.. I have no idea. take it for what its worth.

Zagsker
03-26-2018, 04:44 PM
Frankly, the FSU game was probably the saving grace as far as next years team goes

GrizZAG
03-26-2018, 05:07 PM
No given if he declared with an agent that he would in fact be a first rounder. It would be a huge mistake if he didn't get picked up in the first round and got lost in the D league or worse. He could end up settling for a Europe trip and a long road to the NBA if he ever did get that opportunity. He's just not quite ready. It will be crystal clear when he is. Right now it's a gamble IMO.

DixieZag
03-26-2018, 05:56 PM
No given if he declared with an agent that he would in fact be a first rounder. It would be a huge mistake if he didn't get picked up in the first round and got lost in the D league or worse. He could end up settling for a Europe trip and a long road to the NBA if he ever did get that opportunity. He's just not quite ready. It will be crystal clear when he is. Right now it's a gamble IMO.

This is well said and sounds exactly right.

The Japanese/marketing angle makes it a little more complicated than some. His marketing value alone takes much of the money angle out of the question, at least the nba salary portion in looking at first versus third year earnings. But, marketing value sure places a premium on hitting the right team at the right time. No doubt, every team wants it's to be their logo that peppers Japan and their games on TV, and maybe that means a team is far less likely to let Rui fall very far down.

I don't know, shouldn't even be pretending to really understand all the factors. It just seems logical that the opportunity to be the team that carries the first Japanese citizen and enjoys that market would push a team that otherwise might say "He's not proven __".

It sure seems that with each passing year, the NBA draft is more about "Will his body eventually be able to run with, jump over, and muscle out all the other 30 year old grown men," and less about "can he play basketball right now." We are a little lucky in that we're used to losing 6-11 to 7'0 guys who also shoot 3s. There is slightly less premium on 6'8 guys that jump over backboards.

23dpg
03-26-2018, 07:35 PM
It would be like sending a 15 year old kid out on tour....not gonna happen....thats the way it was explained to me.. I have no idea. take it for what its worth.

http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/Almost-Famous-almost-famous-61998_500_375.jpg

Rui and Killian should both....do what they want.

Nevada Don
03-26-2018, 07:39 PM
https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2018/03/27/byu-star-forward-yoeli-childs-says-he-will-definitely-put-his-name-into-the-nba-draft-pool/

Sound Voltex
03-27-2018, 01:45 AM
@Skimhvn

http://number.bunshun.jp/articles/-/830298

A Japanese reporter talked to an anonymous NBA scout. This is his response (using combo of Google Translate/grammar fixing). Feel free to correct if I misunderstood anything.

The scout saw 4 teams at Staples Center. With regards to paying attention to Hachimura as a NBA candidate, he said "Not a whole lot", but along with Robert Williams of Texas A&M and Moritz Wagner of Michigan, Hachimura is a promising athlete who is among the top five among the four teams he said that they are watching.

"He was doing very well in against Ohio State. The Florida State game was an "ok game". Florida State had height and reach. It is a team of athletes who are highly capable of but not highly likely to be professional athletes.

If he just wants to play at NBA, he will be drafted (even in this year's draft). Still, it is a difficult time to guess how far he will be drafted in the rankings because it is a time when some promising players either enter the draft or remain in college."

"This is my personal opinion, but I think he is a bit too early to go to the NBA, and I think that he should remain in college for another year. From the position of the league (NBA) side I do not know if his draft ranking will change, but I still want him to stay in college for a bit longer. I heard he started basketball late and I don't think he has learned things like nuances yet. You learn such things as you grow. It is better for him so he doesn't end up leaving the league prematurely. Sometimes people come over to the NBA too early and end up inconspicuous. "

For example, the scout mentioned Greek player Georgios Papagiannis who was selected in the 13th in the first round two years ago by the Sacramento Kings, whose rights were traded from the Phoenix Suns before the draft. However, in the end, Papagiannis was waived this February, playing only 38 games in 2 seasons with an average of 12.4 minutes (He subsequently signed with the Portland Trail Blazers).

"The timeframe during which the team commits to the nominated draft team is getting shorter as before" the scout said.

Of course, there is merit and risk in everything. The biggest risk when putting NBA on hold for one year is a breakdown, but that is not the only one. Even if it grows smoothly in the next year without trouble, the draft rank is not necessarily going up.

He also said in the comment I introduced earlier, "I can not tell whether his rank will change if he leaves the NBA next year." It is because it seems that there is a growth when the age is young and it is a world that is highly evaluated like the Aoto harvest [translator note: a Japanese phrase for companies hiring college students before graduation]. Hachimura, who turned 20 in February this year, is 21 years old next year. Although it may not seem like a big difference, it affects when evaluating in the NBA world.

The scout also said, "Frankly, age is relevant." If the age goes up by one, the proportion of whether he will become an immediate fighting force at the time of evaluation rises, and what you can not do is more noticeable than you can do.

Still, in the case of Hachimura, there are elements that are judged on different standards from American players.

"When considering his own situation, he did not grow up on American basketball and started late on basketball," the scout said. From this phrase, you can see that he is investigating the background of Hachimura neatly. Starting basketball from junior high school, Hachimura just came to the US two years ago has touched basketball and has less years to learn than the same age of Americans. There are many things to learn from this, and it will be positive in the long run to gain experience at for another year.

"If he goes back to college, he will be the best player of the team, he will become the leader of the team and get the opportunity to be the center of the team.

On the other hand, if he goes to NBA, he will probably be a bench player. If that stays, then game time will be limited and the opportunity to gain experience on the court will be reduced accordingly. Outside of games, you can do a lot of exercises like striking a shot, 1 to 0, 2 to 2, for example, but you can not have as much in-game experience as during college.

If you want to play in NBA in the future, the experience of playing as a full-time starter, running more than 30 minutes each night, leading a team as a leader is not as good as spending a limited role players I think. Especially if it's only one year.

Regardless of who you finally draft in the rankings, if you come to NBA and play good, you can send a long career and earn. What matters is what you can do when you come to the league level. "

The scout also points out that he can go pro at any time from college, but can not go back to college from pro.

However, after talking about this, the scout adds that "This is only one person's opinion."

"Because 20 people may have 20 different opinions when asking 20 people."

jazzdelmar
03-27-2018, 04:08 AM
The notion that Rui is NBA ready is delusional at this point, his shot was blocked a half dozen times by FSU bigs who will at best be playing gym ball next. The notion that the two BYU players are NBA ready is beyond delusional. Makes you wonder if any of these kids actually watch the NBA.

zagdontzig
03-27-2018, 06:48 AM
The notion that Rui is NBA ready is delusional at this point, his shot was blocked a half dozen times by FSU bigs who will at best be playing gym ball next.

If there's draft chatter, I don't see why that's not an automatic declare without an agent. You're out a plane ticket and hotel to make connections, learn the process, and get feedback. Rui and Tillie both got unsolicited NBA talk, so I think they should both declare without an agent.

Coach Crazy
03-27-2018, 08:13 AM
If there's draft chatter, I don't see why that's not an automatic declare without an agent. You're out a plane ticket and hotel to make connections, learn the process, and get feedback. Rui and Tillie both got unsolicited NBA talk, so I think they should both declare without an agent.

Absolutely. It can benefit the Zags, as well.