PDA

View Full Version : A Jesuit school heads to the Final Four.

jazzdelmar
03-24-2018, 05:25 PM
A Jesuit school heads to the Final Four.

RenoZag
03-24-2018, 05:40 PM
Why is this noteworthy ? It happened last year. . .

raise the zag
03-24-2018, 05:40 PM
A Jesuit school heads to the Final Four.

Congrats!

Given how wide open this year is, I wouldn't be surprised if they won it all.

Very good defensive team that can shoot, and seems tough. Most importantly, showed good leadership in several closely contested games or when things weren't going well for them.

It's what I felt we lacked this year, above all else. Consistent leadership. Not just by example but maintaining composure and toughness when we were off or getting beat. It didn't happen often but when it did, it was obvious. A Freshman was the closest thing we had to a leader on the court. Just because you are the PG, and a good one, doesn't mean you are the leader. Perkins is far from one, even NWG said he barely said a word on the court.

I think we will have it next year. Kispert and Norvell will step up.

Must get this off my chest, but THIS was our year for the taking. IF NWG and Collins would have stayed, we would win the whole damn thing. There, I said it. I believe it. Totally woulda coulda shoulda but still...had to say it once out loud. Hell, even if just NWG would have given it one more year. Done deal.

john montana
03-24-2018, 05:42 PM
Zero question in my mind that if nwg and Collins had come back we would have gone undefeated and won the title. Just one of them, still probably do it.

bartruff1
03-24-2018, 05:45 PM
From the Missouri Valley no less....that conference gets no respect....they should join the Mountain West...

I believe they are the only team for Illinois to have won a National Championship in Basketball....or perhaps any sport...

gonzagafan62
03-24-2018, 05:45 PM
Uh RTZ, we had consistent leadership out of NWG. We had the #1 Defense in the country. We were tough... lol we didn’t lack anything unless you are talking luck of the officials

cggonzaga
03-24-2018, 05:46 PM
Congrats!

Very good defensive team that can shoot, and seems tough. Most importantly, showed good leadership in several closely contested games or when things weren't going well for them.

It's what I felt we lacked this year, above all else. Consistent leadership. Not just by example but maintaining composure and toughness when we were off or getting beat. It didn't happen often but when it did, it was obvious. A Freshman was the closest thing we had to a leader on the court. Just because you are the PG, and a good one, doesn't mean you are the leader. Perkins is far from one, even NWG said he barely said a word on the court.

Must get this off my chest, but THIS was our year for the taking. IF NWG and Collins would have stayed, we would win the whole damn thing. There, I said it. I believe it. Totally woulda coulda shoulda but still...had to say it once out loud. Hell, even if just NWG would have given it one more year. Done deal.

That’s like Kentucky saying if Booker, Fox and Towns had stayed they would’ve won it all. It is what it is.

509er
03-24-2018, 05:51 PM
Congrats!

Might have been the favorites but anything can happen in a 1 game playoff. Ask Virginia.

Zagceo
03-24-2018, 05:54 PM
CBS is thrilled....3rd largest TV market

RenoZag
03-24-2018, 06:05 PM
TBS is thrilled....3rd largest TV market

fixed it

KStyles
03-24-2018, 06:05 PM
Why is this noteworthy ? It happened last year. . .

2 years in a row?

RenoZag
03-24-2018, 06:06 PM
2 years in a row?

Fair enough. . .

KStyles
03-24-2018, 06:08 PM
Fair enough. . .

In my quick research, first back to back appearance for Jesuit colleges since Georgetown in 84 & 85.

509er
03-24-2018, 06:13 PM
CBS is thrilled....3rd largest TV market

If St Mary’s made the final 4 do you think the Bay Area would care? I have no idea but have my doubts.

Zagceo
03-24-2018, 06:20 PM
If St Mary’s made the final 4 do you think the Bay Area would care? I have no idea but have my doubts.

as much as Angelenos would if Loyola or Pepperdine made it....gotta go sun is setting over Catalina right now..... 805 has my name on it....see I'm also part of the problem. I didn't even care to watch Ramblers.

RenoZag
03-24-2018, 06:28 PM
In my quick research, first back to back appearance for Jesuit colleges since Georgetown in 84 & 85.

Here's a 2010 blog post by a Marquette grad who ranked the "Top 10" Jesuit post-season basketball events. . .have to think GU's NC runner-up would merit more copy. . .

And there's always: https://www.jesuitbasketball.com/

MDABE80
03-24-2018, 07:44 PM
Loyola's been a fav since 1963. Obviously Creighton and our Zags.....I think it's noteworthy to get a Jesuit school in the FF every year. Some don't care, some do.........Count me in. Nova is Augustinian.

Hoopaholic
03-25-2018, 08:10 AM
Loyola's been a fav since 1963. Obviously Creighton and our Zags.....I think it's noteworthy to get a Jesuit school in the FF every year. Some don't care, some do.........Count me in. Nova is Augustinian.

Agree

kitzbuel
03-25-2018, 08:32 AM
Here's a 2010 blog post by a Marquette grad who ranked the "Top 10" Jesuit post-season basketball events. . .have to think GU's NC runner-up would merit more copy. . .

And there's always: https://www.jesuitbasketball.com/There is a link to an interesting Washington Post article on the history of Catholic basketball.

It appears that Catholic dominance originated similarly to current African-American dominance. Poor, urban populations (Irish and Italian at the time) could play cheaply in areas with no access outdoor fields.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

jazzdelmar
03-25-2018, 09:48 AM
There is a link to an interesting Washington Post article on the history of Catholic basketball.

It appears that Catholic dominance originated similarly to current African-American dominance. Poor, urban populations (Irish and Italian at the time) could play cheaply in areas with no access outdoor fields.

CYO!!!!

thespywhozaggedme
03-25-2018, 10:39 AM
The Big East invited the wrong Chicago Catholic university

kitzbuel
03-25-2018, 10:44 AM
CYO!!!!Odd thing is that where I grew up in rural MT, CYO was simply Weds night youth group. The Mormons owned recreational basketball. The whole town got in on that if you wanted to play any ball.

kitzbuel
03-25-2018, 10:46 AM
There is a link to an interesting Washington Post article on the history of Catholic basketball.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using TapatalkForgot the link: http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/religion/add-basketball-to-catholic-colleges-springtime-rituals/2014/03/26/8d790dca-b513-11e3-bab2-b9602293021d_story.html

jazzdelmar
03-25-2018, 11:49 AM
Nova easy. Branson gotta be Wooden winner. Awesomely coached. Texas Tech playing spooked, like GU vs Nova at MSG.

gmo
03-25-2018, 01:22 PM
Two Catholic schools to the Final Four as well. I wonder how many times that has happened?

jazzdelmar
03-25-2018, 01:25 PM
Two Catholic schools to the Final Four as well. I wonder how many times that has happened?

Nova, Georgetown, St. John’s ..... 3 back in 85

RenoZag
03-25-2018, 01:38 PM
Nova, Georgetown, St. John’s ..... 3 back in 85

https://www.allbrackets.com/bracket.php?year=1985

CDC84
03-25-2018, 08:00 PM
My family's dentist when I was a kid is a Loyola Chicago grad. He's feeling even better than a patient on nitrous oxide right now.

willandi
03-25-2018, 08:11 PM
Zero question in my mind that if nwg and Collins had come back we would have gone undefeated and won the title. Just one of them, still probably do it.

...and Sabonis, and didn't Daye still have eligibility? Even Ammo. We sure coulda used him!

MDABE80
03-25-2018, 08:25 PM
John it really wouldn't have been close. Asking Nigel now and he knows he should have stayed. Collins? I don't know . But the fact remains that if those two had come back, we'd have another weekend of FF basketball. We did ok though. Stronger next year. The next 7 months will be hard. "The waiting is the hardest part" ala Tom Petty (rip)

KStyles
03-25-2018, 08:25 PM

In a hypothetical world, the 38-1 2014-2015 UK team would still have Booker, Lyles, Ulis & Anthony-Towns + Malik Monk, De'Aaron Fox, Kevin Knox.

former1dog
03-25-2018, 08:59 PM
John it really wouldn't have been close. Asking Nigel now and he knows he should have stayed. Collins? I don't know . But the fact remains that if those two had come back, we'd have another weekend of FF basketball. We did ok though. Stronger next year. The next 7 months will be hard. "The waiting is the hardest part" ala Tom Petty (rip)

I think Collins is likely pretty happy with his decision right now, but young people can be fickle. IMO The Portland Trailblazers have handled him very well and the slowly but steadily improving results for him have proven that. Collins was genetically blessed and from what I've read has a tremendous attitude and work ethic. A one in (more than a) million combination that makes a professional athlete.

cbbfanatic
03-25-2018, 09:23 PM

the "fact" remains that GU would be in the final four with those guys back? that's hugely presumptuous and arrogant. last year's team was awesome on paper, and definitely passed the eye test. but the real fact of the matter is that as soon as they ran into a legitimate top shelf team, they lost. until gonzaga can show an ability to take down a truly top tier team (in the tournament or otherwise), it's really hard for me to buy these types of guarantees and chest thumping. look what kansas had to do today to get to the final four... gonzaga didnt have to do that last year, not even close. could they have? who knows...

what was the single highest-quality transaction on last year's resume? beating zona in december on a neutral court down a couple starters? really nice win, no doubt, but i'd guess that nearly any 1 seed over the last decade or so had more meat on the season-long bone than that

perhaps they made it as far as they did last yr because they DIDNT have to play a top tier team until the very end... we'll never really know, though history supports the argument that gonzaga "drew" their way to the run they had last year as much as it was some sort of breakthrough string of performances.

let's hear all the hate now...

MDABE80
03-25-2018, 09:39 PM
Given the history with you cbb, we'll just have to disagree. More so when you use inflammatory words like "presumptuous and arrogant". Bait words and meant to be personal insults. Good luck.

willandi
03-26-2018, 07:49 AM
Given the history with you cbb, we'll just have to disagree. More so when you use inflammatory words like "presumptuous and arrogant". Bait words and meant to be personal insults. Good luck.

I agree. Great response.

TexasZagFan
03-26-2018, 08:16 AM
the "fact" remains that GU would be in the final four with those guys back? that's hugely presumptuous and arrogant. last year's team was awesome on paper, and definitely passed the eye test. but the real fact of the matter is that as soon as they ran into a legitimate top shelf team, they lost. until gonzaga can show an ability to take down a truly top tier team (in the tournament or otherwise), it's really hard for me to buy these types of guarantees and chest thumping. look what kansas had to do today to get to the final four... gonzaga didnt have to do that last year, not even close. could they have? who knows...

what was the single highest-quality transaction on last year's resume? beating zona in december on a neutral court down a couple starters? really nice win, no doubt, but i'd guess that nearly any 1 seed over the last decade or so had more meat on the season-long bone than that

perhaps they made it as far as they did last yr because they DIDNT have to play a top tier team until the very end... we'll never really know, though history supports the argument that gonzaga "drew" their way to the run they had last year as much as it was some sort of breakthrough string of performances.

Methinks you have that market cornered.

RenoZag
03-26-2018, 09:03 AM

Sometimes misery doesn't love company. . .

Norwester
03-26-2018, 09:49 AM

You're this message board's case of herpes. Lie dormant for long periods of time, then be incredibily irritating when you reappear.

former1dog
03-26-2018, 10:47 AM
You're this message boards' case of herpes. Lie dormant for long periods of time, then be incredibily irritating when you reappear.

That is the funniest post I've read in a long time. :roll:

75Zag
03-26-2018, 12:26 PM
I am not big on religion, but the adventures of Sister Jean Dolores-Schmidt have been fun to watch. And at age 98, I suspect this might be her last run to the Final Four, but then again you never know.

Go Ramblers this year, and Go Bulldogs forever!

former1dog
03-26-2018, 01:17 PM
I'm a temporary Ramblers fan for at least the next week!

MDABE80
03-26-2018, 03:41 PM
It would take an act of God for Loyola to win this whole thing.........but then again.....;) Loved em in 63. I love em now.

DixieZag
03-26-2018, 05:53 PM

The "cleared path" thing works for one game (at least for me). No team that wins the four games it takes to reach the Final Four ever, ever, has anything to apologize for or prove, to me anyway. I've believed that long before the Zags made it.

Even though Loyola played a six as the highest seed, it won four games that the other 16 highly qualified teams in their bracket didn't. Virginia couldn't get within 20 of the 16 seed, maybe that makes it the toughest bracket? Of course not, but it says to me that every team, every year, that makes the Final Four, earned it.

To the haters that say that last year's Zag team had no "signature win" over an elite, all I would say is that no "elite" could play its way into a game with Gonzaga. GU won its game over West Virginia, Arizona lost its game against Xavier. I can't remember who South Carolina beat or whatever, but I didn't hear a lot of talk about them being weak and undeserving. And North Carolina needed calls that even the elite media later (quietly) called "strange," just to get over the hump.

Anyway, long before GU ever dreamed of a Final Four, I always thought the "cleared path" stuff was all "must be cynical to be cool' crap.

maynard g krebs
03-28-2018, 03:08 PM
Even though Loyola played a six as the highest seed,

Tennessee was a 3.

GoZags
03-28-2018, 04:08 PM
I can't remember who South Carolina beat

They beat 10 seed Marquette by 20, then beat 2 seed Duke by 7. In the Sweet 16 South Carolina beat 3 seed Baylor by 20 and in the Elite 8 they beat 4 seed Florida by 7 (before losing to the Zags by 4 in the Final 4). So ... the only school they missed was 1 seed Villanova who lost to Wisconsin in the Round of 32.

Bogozags
03-28-2018, 04:44 PM
They beat 10 seed Marquette by 20, then beat 2 seed Duke by 7. In the Sweet 16 South Carolina beat 3 seed Baylor by 20 and in the Elite 8 they beat 4 seed Florida by 7 (before losing to the Zags by 4 in the Final 4). So ... the only school they missed was 1 seed Villanova who lost to Wisconsin in the Round of 32.

I hate facts that prove an argument...leaves no room for doubt! 👍