PDA

View Full Version : Is the ACC the zags kryptonite? Article inside. (Plus mark few tourny stats)

Zags11
03-23-2018, 07:06 PM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/mar/23/acc-throws-another-roadblock-in-gonzagas-ncaa-tour/

Zags are 2-6 vs the ACC in march and score an average of 20 ppg less vs the Acc then vs the rest.

When we lose to ACC teams in march they are the better seed except last night.

Mark few is 0-1 in national championship games.

Mark few is 1-0 in final 4 games.

Mark few is 1-1 in elite 8 games

Mark few also falls to 2-6 in the sweet 16.

Mark few is 8-8 in second round games.

Mark few is 16-3 in first round games

Zags11
03-23-2018, 07:08 PM
So serious question for my fellow posters. (Please try to keep it civil. I'm asking honest opinions.)

When we lose is it because the opponent's were better? We got out coached? What?

Zags11
03-23-2018, 07:12 PM
Also after 5 straight second round exits, we have made it past round of 32 four straight times.

Radbooks
03-23-2018, 07:46 PM
Also after 4 straight second round exits, we have 4 straight sweet 16 exits.

Really?? I'm pretty sure we were in the National Championship game last year, which means we didn't go out at the Sweet 16. And there was an Elite 8 in there before that, so this is just wrong.

thespywhozaggedme
03-23-2018, 07:56 PM
Also after 4 straight second round exits, we have 4 straight sweet 16 exits.

Uh......

KStyles
03-23-2018, 08:37 PM
Also after 4 straight second round exits, we have made it past round of 32 four straight times.

GU had 5 straight 2nd round exits from 2010-2014.

Zags11
03-23-2018, 08:37 PM
Really?? I'm pretty sure we were in the National Championship game last year, which means we didn't go out at the Sweet 16. And there was an Elite 8 in there before that, so this is just wrong.

Yea I wrote it wrong. I was typing while looking at stats. My fault.

Zags11
03-23-2018, 08:39 PM

I seriously am confused today and I'm looking at the sheet. :(. Lol

gonzagafan62
03-23-2018, 08:51 PM
Beat athletic Florida State in 2010

Beat UNC with hansbrough in 06-07

Beat clemson in 2012-13

Beat wake forest 2011

This is a lame thread.... we’ve been so unlucky vs the 4 acc losses. Go back and look at the four games. We could’ve won any of them. Missed bunny by Wiltjer, bad 10 second call by refs vs Syracuse ..... NWG hurt last year tillie this year. Bad luck.

bartruff1
03-23-2018, 08:55 PM
It must be the coach...he was the only one at all the games...

Zags11
03-23-2018, 09:02 PM
Beat athletic Florida State in 2010

Beat UNC with hansbrough in 06-07

Beat clemson in 2012-13

Beat wake forest 2011

This is a lame thread.... we’ve been so unlucky vs the 4 acc losses. Go back and look at the four games. We could’ve won any of them. Missed bunny by Wiltjer, bad 10 second call by refs vs Syracuse ..... NWG hurt last year tillie this year. Bad luck.

Lame thread? Bet u one starred it too.

Go write spokesman and tell them they write lame stuff.

Also spokesman was strictly speaking march tournaments but you had your panties all wadded up so you didn't comprehend and wanted to argue and downplay the thread.

Facts are facts.

2-6 vs the Acc in march tournaments. It is what it is.

Zags11
03-23-2018, 09:03 PM
It must be the coach...he was the only one at all the games...

At times yep. It must be just the players right?

Grown men acting like children in here. Then people wonder why most people left.

gonzagafan62
03-23-2018, 09:11 PM
Nah didn’t one star it. Sorry if you took it the wrong way man. Not my intention. Showed we’ve beaten ACC teams in tournament and in pressure packed situations. That was my only intention...

Here’s my main issue.... the guy in the postgame said we weren’t “prepared” for Florida state which is absurdity. Lol idk I’m still sad at last night.... just like the rest of us. Sorry man. I love your posts, just aggravated at some of the talk that we aren’t prepared for acc teams. Lol.

gonzagafan62
03-23-2018, 09:15 PM
I guess one must ask what our overall seed average is these days. A few years ago it was 7. I would have to think it’s 6 at least now even with an 11 thrown in there... we aren’t usually expected to go past sweet sixteen yet we’ve outperformed our seed line just as much as we’ve played to it. And we hardly ever go and play Below our seed line. Only a few (maybe 4 times?) have we done that. Maybe one or two more .... some of those games include, Wyoming, Nevada, Davidson and Wichita state Some dark days for sure

Zags11
03-23-2018, 09:15 PM
Nah didn’t one star it. Sorry if you took it the wrong way man. Not my intention. Showed we’ve beaten ACC teams in tournament and in pressure packed situations. That was my only intention...

Here’s my main issue.... the guy in the postgame said we weren’t “prepared” for Florida state which is absurdity. Lol idk I’m still sad at last night.... just like the rest of us. Sorry man. I love your posts, just aggravated at some of the talk that we aren’t prepared for acc teams. Lol.

I didn't necessarily agree with the spokesman either. I personally thought we would of beat FSU last night with Tillie. The other losses we ran into a better team and unfortunately it was the Acc.

Yea I'm still bummed and pissed off too. I was just trying to bring articles into the mix. I added the few stats to add to the overall stats but I wasn't trying to bring down anyone.

I probably have PTSD cuz all my threads get one starred.

Zags11
03-23-2018, 09:18 PM
I guess one must ask what our overall seed average is these days. A few years ago it was 7. I would have to think it’s 6 at least now even with an 11 thrown in there... we aren’t usually expected to go past sweet sixteen yet we’ve outperformed our seed line just as much as we’ve played to it. And we hardly ever go and play Below our seed line. Only a few (maybe 4 times?) have we done that. Maybe one or two more .... some of those games include, Wyoming, Nevada, Davidson and Wichita state Some dark days for sure

http://apps.washingtonpost.com/sports/apps/live-updating-mens-ncaa-basketball-bracket/schools/gonzaga/

Since 2012 we have had a like a 4.8 seed(almost a 5). I think.

Zags11
03-23-2018, 09:26 PM
una estrella hilo. :(

все, потому что мы не согласны
vse, potomu chto my ne soglasny

je vous aime tous

Sogar die Idioten

algunos son cánceres & algunos son verrugas.

algunos son bonitos

&

todos amamos al equipo

gonzagafan62
03-23-2018, 09:33 PM
http://apps.washingtonpost.com/sports/apps/live-updating-mens-ncaa-basketball-bracket/schools/gonzaga/

Since 2012 we have had a like a 4.8 seed(almost a 5). I think.

Thank you. Very interesting read. Appreciate it

gonzagafan62
03-23-2018, 09:34 PM
I didn't necessarily agree with the spokesman either. I personally thought we would of beat FSU last night with Tillie. The other losses we ran into a better team and unfortunately it was the Acc.

Yea I'm still bummed and pissed off too. I was just trying to bring articles into the mix. I added the few stats to add to the overall stats but I wasn't trying to bring down anyone.

I probably have PTSD cuz all my threads get one starred.

Oh I know. I coulda used a better word than lame. Sorry bout that. I’m like I said still bummed from last night and didn’t even see the “real Zags” last night. They seemed like a shell of themselves and it didn’t feel like I was watching a Zags game. Ugh! Torture lol

TexasZagFan
03-23-2018, 11:35 PM
Anyway I think I'm cool with this board for awhile.

People like to ruin threads and ruin stuff just because they don't like what is posted. Some of the posters here are cancers and I still like their point of view.

I would imagine most our members are 28+ and some are 50+ and if you don't agree it gets personal or thread gets locked.

Its funny these same posters get pissed if jazz or someone speaks on Mark Few like he is Jesus but can call JP or some former players "thugs".

I mean you guys(and you know who you are) want to rid anyone who doesn't think mark few is perfect. Mark Few is a adult and he isn't a perfect coach. He makes mistakes. Mark few is a damn good coach though and leads the program with loyalty, and the right way to run a program.

I just don't understand the 1 starring by grown men because they don't care for a thread.

Anyways, its why we lost a lot of good posters and if this immaturity continues this board won't be anything but a clique of 4-6.

Aren't you up a bit past your bedtime? I didn't rate the thread, either.

If I may ask, how old are you? As for me, I'll be vier und sechzig in sechs wochen.

seacatfan
03-23-2018, 11:41 PM
For a while I think Big 10 teams were kryptonite for the Zags. Did beat Ohio St. twice this year, not sure they've had many meetings w/ Big 10 lately.

Florida St. played really good against GU. Not sure if Tillie would've mattered. Depends on which Tillie. The one that shoots nearly perfect from the floor and scores 25 or 28 would've helped for sure. The one that scores 6 or 8 points and grabs 3 rebounds wouldn't have swung the game in GU's favor. No way to ever know how he would've played if he was available.

TexasZagFan
03-23-2018, 11:51 PM
For a while I think Big 10 teams were kryptonite for the Zags. Did beat Ohio St. twice this year, not sure they've had many meetings w/ Big 10 lately.

Florida St. played really good against GU. Not sure if Tillie would've mattered. Depends on which Tillie. The one that shoots nearly perfect from the floor and scores 25 or 28 would've helped for sure. The one that scores 6 or 8 points and grabs 3 rebounds wouldn't have swung the game in GU's favor. No way to ever know how he would've played if he was available.

I think our problem is the small sample size when it comes to power conferences. We might play them 2-3 times a year, in preseason and postseason tournaments. Hopefully, the series with UNC will break that trend.

Missing Killian last night played no role in our dreadful shooting in the first half, such as Zach going 0-7. Rui should have stuck with that 8-10 foot jumper, instead of going to the hole. We just ran out of gas in the second half, props to FSU...no need to dwell on it.

Zags11
03-23-2018, 11:52 PM
Aren't you up a bit past your bedtime? I didn't rate the thread, either.

If I may ask, how old are you? As for me, I'll be vier und sechzig in sechs wochen.

I didn't say you did. And nah I'm not past my bed time. I mean your 64 in 6 weeks so I'm shocked your awake or is it a bathroom break? ;)

I'm currently trentatré.

And again what I said is correct.

TexasZagFan
03-24-2018, 12:02 AM
I didn't say you did. And nah I'm not past my bed time. I mean your 64 in 6 weeks so I'm shocked your awake or is it a bathroom break? ;)

I'm currently trentatré.

And again what I said is correct.

Ahhh, the exuberance of youth. It explains everything about your posts. ;)

You've only known the good times of Zag basketball. In the TZF household, the Zags' success is a welcome diversion from the dreadful record of most Dallas pro teams over the past ten years (with a couple of exceptions).

Zags11
03-24-2018, 01:55 AM
Ahhh, the exuberance of youth. It explains everything about your posts. ;)

You've only known the good times of Zag basketball. In the TZF household, the Zags' success is a welcome diversion from the dreadful record of most Dallas pro teams over the past ten years (with a couple of exceptions).

Hey been listening to zags since 1994! Lol. We use get in free at K1.

Hey!!!! I'm a damn mariners fan. The seahawks been good for last 10+ years off and on. I remember the 90s though. :)

gonzagafan62
03-24-2018, 05:31 AM
I think our problem is the small sample size when it comes to power conferences. We might play them 2-3 times a year, in preseason and postseason tournaments. Hopefully, the series with UNC will break that trend.

Missing Killian last night played no role in our dreadful shooting in the first half, such as Zach going 0-7. Rui should have stuck with that 8-10 foot jumper, instead of going to the hole. We just ran out of gas in the second half, props to FSU...no need to dwell on it.

Played no role??? I think it had to have played some role as we didn’t even look like the Zags team I’ve been watching especially early. We looked lost bro.... like we couldn’t even run an offense....

gonstu
03-24-2018, 05:37 AM
Why do people care if their thread on a basketball message board gets one -starred?

I hope my post here gets 5 stars!

Zagceo
03-24-2018, 05:53 AM
Played no role??? I think it had to have played some role as we didn’t even look like the Zags team I’ve been watching especially early. We looked lost bro.... like we couldn’t even run an offense....

Remember San Diego State game with Tillie?

Team played lost.

TacomaZAG
03-24-2018, 07:16 AM
It's all about WHO from the ACC, or any conference, is providing the kryptonite. Dook, UNC, and 'Scuse provide a lot of kryptonite to a lot of programs.

This article is like saying the WCC is Ohio State kryptonite................

Go ZAGS

kitzbuel
03-24-2018, 08:25 AM

Since 2012 we have had a like a 4.8 seed(almost a 5). I think.Cool charts.

I think that 2016 Sweet 16 run from an 11 seed really set GU up for better seeds. I think conventional wisdom after that game was that GU was inexcusably underseeded.

GU has been treated with a little more respect and has lived up to it's seeding since.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

zagamatic
03-24-2018, 08:39 AM
All I know is that I've gone from "hey, it's pretty cool that we've been in the tournament for twenty straight years" to now feeling like "we've LOST in the tournament for TWENTY STRAIGHT YEARS "

TexasZagFan
03-24-2018, 08:45 AM
All I know is that I've gone from "hey, it's pretty cool that we've been in the tournament for twenty straight years" to now feeling like "we've LOST in the tournament for TWENTY STRAIGHT YEARS "

It's the journey, not the destination.

Zagceo
03-24-2018, 08:57 AM

successful baseball players fail 7 outta 10 times

in case you weren't joking...perspective helps

JPtheBeasta
03-24-2018, 09:13 AM

The blocks very easily could have affected the Zags shots down there all game. Rui was blocked a few times, and I’m sure he’s not used to that. That said, free throw and 3-point shooting were not— there were just too many open 3’s missed. FSU played good defense down low, and their length affected passing lanes, but they weren’t speeding this team up (I thought the Zags actually played slow that night). I give FSU credit for making. The Zags uncomfortable, but once the Zags figured things out they were able to score in bunches. It was a game of runs and GU gave up too many long ones to FSU and didn’t create a long enough one of their own at any point to take the lead and put any pressure on FSU.

bartruff1
03-24-2018, 09:47 AM
Rebounding and defense can keep you in the game...but to win you have to make some shots.....the best illustration of that was Virginia 's loss.....Gonzaga hits near it's normal 3% it would have been a different game....coulda woulda shoulda..... a fine season, a disappointing end...

gonzagafan62
03-24-2018, 02:10 PM
Remember San Diego State game with Tillie?

Team played lost.

I do remember .... totally different team imo

gonzagafan62
03-24-2018, 02:10 PM
The blocks very easily could have affected the Zags shots down there all game. Rui was blocked a few times, and I’m sure he’s not used to that. That said, free throw and 3-point shooting were not— there were just too many open 3’s missed. FSU played good defense down low, and their length affected passing lanes, but they weren’t speeding this team up (I thought the Zags actually played slow that night). I give FSU credit for making. The Zags uncomfortable, but once the Zags figured things out they were able to score in bunches. It was a game of runs and GU gave up too many long ones to FSU and didn’t create a long enough one of their own at any point to take the lead and put any pressure on FSU.

That’s true. Fair points

Zag79
03-24-2018, 07:43 PM
Rebounding and defense can keep you in the game...but to win you have to make some shots.....the best illustration of that was Virginia 's loss.....Gonzaga hits near it's normal 3% it would have been a different game....coulda woulda shoulda..... a fine season, a disappointing end...

And yet, tonight Michigan won against the same FSU team shooting just as miserable as Gonzaga. They were a measly 4-22 from behind the arc, and an inexcusable 16–24 from behind the line. They also lost the battle on the boards. They took care of the ball a little better than the Zags (3 less turnovers), but this game came down to great defense. As good as he is, Mark does not have a very good defensive game plan, and at times seems almost schematically stuck in a rut. Last year with the length, athleticism, depth, it was a bit of a different story. But this year had a much of the same feel to it, losing a very winnable game solely because the team didn't shoot well. It'd be nice to see a bit more creativity in those kind of games, and would go a long way in making some deeper runs when the team is cold. As for the ACC, it's all about matchup's... Who, what, when, why, how.

bartruff1
03-24-2018, 07:59 PM
And FSU couldn't make shots and apparently couldn't extend the game...

Zag79
03-24-2018, 08:27 PM
Correct. One team always has to lose, but the fact of the matter is that Gonzaga rarely wins how Michigan did tonight. And when they don't, everyone feels like it's OK to blame everything on the players. When in reality, coaching can still win games when the ball isn't going in the hoop. Gonzaga scored more than Michigan, and lost going away late. A better defensive plan could've helped win that game, even though I think the last minute loss of Tillie left coaches and players mentally unstable. Which again goes back to coaching, not to beat a dead horse as Few is a great coach. But this is college, not the NBA... The coach matters far more at this level than the next, and their teams often times take on their personality.

bartruff1
03-24-2018, 08:34 PM
Gonzaga makes shots the coach is a genius......

CDC84
03-25-2018, 12:30 AM
I remember back around 2008 all the talk was about how well Gonzaga performed against ACC schools, and how poorly they performed against Big Ten schools.

In all honesty, Florida State is the furthest thing from a traditional ACC school. They are more like a Big Ten school with how physical they play.