PDA

View Full Version : Basketball Rules

Birddog
03-23-2018, 06:56 PM
Would you recognize this game? Would Naismith recognize today's game?

Dr. James Naismith's Original 13 Rules of Basketball
1. The ball may be thrown in any direction with one or both hands.

2. The ball may be batted in any direction with one or both hands (never with the fist).

3. A player cannot run with the ball. The player must throw it from the spot on which he catches it, allowance to be made for a man who catches the ball when running at a good speed if he tries to stop.

4. The ball must be held in or between the hands; the arms or body must not be used for holding it.

5. No shouldering, holding, pushing, tripping, or striking in any way the person of an opponent shall be allowed; the first infringement of this rule by any player shall count as a foul, the second shall disqualify him until the next goal is made, or, if there was evident intent to injure the person, for the whole of the game, no substitute allowed.

6. A foul is striking at the ball with the fist, violation of Rules 3,4, and such as described in Rule 5.

7. If either side makes three consecutive fouls, it shall count a goal for the opponents (consecutive means without the opponents in the mean time making a foul).

8. A goal shall be made when the ball is thrown or batted from the grounds into the basket and stays there, providing those defending the goal do not touch or disturb the goal. If the ball rests on the edges, and the opponent moves the basket, it shall count as a goal.

9. When the ball goes out of bounds, it shall be thrown into the field of play by the person first touching it. In case of a dispute, the umpire shall throw it straight into the field. The thrower-in is allowed five seconds; if he holds it longer, it shall go to the opponent. If any side persists in delaying the game, the umpire shall call a foul on that side.

10. The umpire shall be judge of the men and shall note the fouls and notify the referee when three consecutive fouls have been made. He shall have power to disqualify men according to Rule 5.

11. The referee shall be judge of the ball and shall decide when the ball is in play, in bounds, to which side it belongs, and shall keep the time. He shall decide when a goal has been made, and keep account of the goals with any other duties that are usually performed by a referee.

12. The time shall be two 15-minute halves, with five minutes' rest between.

13. The side making the most goals in that time shall be declared the winner. In case of a draw, the game may, by agreement of the captains, be continued until another goal is made.

Note: Basketball was originally two words and these original rules were published January 15, 1892 in the Springfield College school newspaper, The Triangle.

https://www.usab.com/history/dr-james-naismiths-original-13-rules-of-basketball.aspx

KStyles
03-23-2018, 09:40 PM
Would you recognize this game? Would Naismith recognize today's game?

Sure, he'd recognize it. He lived until 1939. I'm sure he saw a lot of changes in the first 49 years, can't imagine another 79 years of changes have made it unrecognizable.

As for fans now going backward to 1892, a different story. Change happened early.

Skimhvn
03-23-2018, 09:46 PM
Basketball was too ugly sport until Michael Jordan appeared... IMO. In old game all players looks raw.

ZagaZags
03-24-2018, 03:40 AM
Basketball was too ugly sport until Michael Jordan appeared... IMO. In old game all players looks raw.

Magic and Bird, then Jordan.

Zagger
03-24-2018, 04:43 AM
If basketball turns into hockey I'll start going to Zags track meets and/or baseball games.

maynard g krebs
03-24-2018, 12:04 PM

I think the exact opposite is true. The sport peaked from the late 1960's through the mid "80's. Watch some old videos, if you can find them, of the Reed-Debusschere-Bradley-Monroe-Frazier Knicks from the early 70's, the late 60's matchups of the Celtics-76ers, the Walton-Lucas-Gross-Hollins et al Blazers from the championship year ('79?) etc.

The passing, cutting, ball movement is so superior to 98% of what you see today that it's enough to make you cry for what has been lost. The Blazers' title team had nine guys between 9 and 18 ppg; they passed and moved the ball unselfishly till someone was open, and it didn't matter who scored. My generation grew up playing that way, and it was instinctive for all the kids growing up in that era.

Back in the mid '90's when I was in my early 40's and still semi competitive, sometimes a few guys around my age would wind up on the same team v some 20'somethings of similar ability who grew up watching Jordan et al and the playing style of the day. Usually in the standard pickup game to 11, we'd beat them about 11-5 because we knew how to play, and most of them didn't.

I'm approaching my mid 60's and still play pickup with younger guys. It has improved a bit from the '90's but those who understand how to play are still in the minority. IMO the Zag coaches' ability to identify those guys so well is is the main factor in what has allowed them to create a dynasty despite only one or two top 25 recruiting classes.

As Lionel Hollins said in a radio interview in the late '90's when he was an asst coach with the then-Vancouver Grizzlies, (paraphrasing) "we have to coach differently, because players today don't have the skills we had."

CDC84
03-25-2018, 12:18 AM
Aren't the "the rules" posted at the entry way of the Phog Allen Fieldhouse?? Or is it some museum on campus devoted to KU basketball??

Coach Crazy
03-25-2018, 05:48 AM
Players today are skilled in ways that those in the 60ís, 70ís, and 80ís couldnít dream of...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maynard g krebs
03-25-2018, 02:37 PM
Players today are skilled in ways that those in the 60’s, 70’s, and 80’s couldn’t dream of...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, they bounce it between their legs and dunk better. And due to weight training they're stronger and jump higher, in general. As far as the quality of the team game, not even close.

Hoopaholic
03-25-2018, 04:16 PM
Yeah, they bounce it between their legs and dunk better. And due to weight training they're stronger and jump higher, in general. As far as the quality of the team game, not even close.

I agree when it comes to team play imo
Individual skill sets have improved steadily imo

willandi
03-25-2018, 04:47 PM
One of the reasons I don't think Jordan is the greatest is that was not a big assist guy. I am not a LeBron fan, but he is a much better team player while still scoring. That makes him a better Basketball player, in my opinion.

Malastein
03-25-2018, 11:10 PM
One of the reasons I don't think Jordan is the greatest is that was not a big assist guy. I am not a LeBron fan, but he is a much better team player while still scoring. That makes him a better Basketball player, in my opinion.

Jordan is ranked 44th all time in assists and averaged 5.3 per game. Not too shabby for an amazing 2 guard. LeBron is a freak in how well rounded his game is. He has a 3 pt shot now that Jordan never really had(his percentage looked good when the line was moved closer but returned to subpar afterwards). I think if LeBron wins the championship this season, he could be making a case as the GOAT.

CDC84
03-26-2018, 08:28 AM
There's also the argument that some people have that LeBron has had less talent and coaching around him than Jordan. LeBron never had a sidekick like Scottie Pippen. Pippen was one of the greatest players who ever played this game, and he was tremendous on both ends. Wade is a fraction of the player that Pippen was.

It's almost impossible to pick a GOAT in basketball because the game has changed to so much. Although Jordan is my favorite basketball player of all time, if I were starting a team, I might start it with Bill Russell.

Birddog
03-26-2018, 08:37 AM
Keep your eye on the Greek Freak, he may be better than all before he's is finished.