PDA

View Full Version : To be continued...

Malastein
03-23-2018, 06:47 PM
Well, a letdown from last season was pretty much inevitable after coming within minutes of winning the whole damn tourney. For perspective, Gonzaga lost 3 starters and its top bench player in one and done Zach Collins. They returned 4 of the 8 rotation players, but they arguably werenít the top 4 guys. The incoming players were not seasoned vets like Mathews or NWG. The style of play also moved from a post dominant to a perimeter dominant offense, which took a while to gel.

Unfortunately, Killian Tillie was injured just before what proved to be the last game of the year. The team still showed their competitive edge throughout, but going against a team as deep as Florida State proved too much for the 6 guys who proved to be mostly reliable for the season. Hats off to them. Thereís really no shame in defeat when you see a team compete through adversity. This team played well enough to be the only team that has been in the sweet sixteen the last 4 seasons. Coach Few is now the Don of West coast basketball.

Gonzaga is without a doubt an elite program with its ability to attract players capable of playing both in the NBA and at the highest levels around the world. The team simply isnít done knocking at the door of a seemingly inevitable championship. Thereís enough potential with returning and incoming players that next year could in fact be the year. Itís really just a matter of time before the breakthrough occurs. To be continued...

RenoZag
03-23-2018, 06:54 PM
Nicely done, Mal.

jpn17
03-23-2018, 07:04 PM
I agree, I said after the loss last year that I believe Few will win a national championship at Gonzaga before all is said and done and I believe it even more firmly now after seeing what he did with this year's team. Next year could potentially be very special.

Malastein
03-23-2018, 07:04 PM
Nicely done, Mal.
It’s much easier to feel optimistic losing in the sweet sixteen than after a crushingly close National Championship game. Many big thanks to Silas Melson and Jonathon Williams III. Both guys are gritty guys who could’ve played on any Zag team!

Zags11
03-23-2018, 07:10 PM
Great read. I havent seen you much this yr. I have seen some old posters come out in march which was nice to see.

Reborn
03-23-2018, 07:25 PM
Nicely done, Malastein. I share your sentiments. Thanks for sharing your insights. The way you have looked at the game has helped me feel better about the loss.

Go Zags!!!

krozman
03-23-2018, 07:51 PM
I agree with everything you said with the exception of a letdown being inevitable. I personally think that unless we're a 1 seed with a clearly dominant team, you shouldn't have any expectations starting at the sweet 16. Gonzaga has, more often than not, overplayed their seed and we basically lost exactly when we were supposed to if seeds held up.

Reborn
03-24-2018, 09:28 AM
I think you have coined the best description of Gonzaga basketball, "to be continued." We are now at the end of the 2017-2018 season. But as your post reminds us, it is not over, but only to be continued. This forum is a wonderful sign that Gonzaga basketball never ends, the stories are just to be continued. These are not only days that we sing the praises of the 2017-2018 Zags, but it also a time that we realize that this story of GU basketball is not over. There is more to be revealed. As we say goodbye to Silas Melson, who has given us nothing but great memories, and JW3 who became an instant star as a Zag. These two great young men, these two great Zags, will go on to be a part of a growing GU community of Zag stars.

As they move on, we already look forward to those new faces, with new souls and spirits who will be creating a new story next season. The 2017-2018 team never let us down. Not even a bit. They, and us, had higher aspirations as we always will because we are Zags. And Yet, this team showed us what a band of brothers can do when they put on a Gonzaga uniform. This was a great season, and it IS an honor to be recognized once again, to be one of the top college basketball teams in America. You young Zags make us proud to wear our Zag gear wherever we go. We are proud to carry the Zag story wherever we go. Thank you.

And I, with you, look forward to the next team, the 2018-2019 team, as we wait for a new story to be created. A day doesn't go by when we don't think about this.

Go Zags!!!