Never too early to talk about next season (fan based non ESPN)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thespywhozaggedme
    Banned
    • Feb 2007

Never too early to talk about next season (fan based non ESPN)

While last night was sad, it's hard to get too upset about another 30+ win season, and 4 straight Sweet Sixteens with 3 new starters. We don't rebuild, we reload. Now, next season is totally a mystery with a lot of rumor and innuendo floating around. I'll try to break this down into two categories: most likely and unknown.

Most Likely: Three of our starters return, Perks, Zach and Rui; that is an awesome 3 headed monster and just bringing those 3 back should propel us into preseason top 10 next season. Brandon Clarke will replace JWIII and/or Tillie and we won't skip a beat. ESPN doesn't even mention this guy, because they're not intimately familiar with the team, but we as die hard fans are. For those that don't know Brandon Clarke was a 1 man wrecking crew on an awful SJSU team, he faced double teams every game and still put up 18/9. Hopefully a year in the Olynyk Clinic added some bulk to his wiry frame, but not too much. Here's just a taste of what he'll bring: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c4v1IXxhxg CK comes back as either a starter or a 6th man instant offense. He went through some growing pains this year, but keep in mind, he was a true freshman. CK has a great motor and I think he'll step up his offensive output to double figures, the defensive side, well, let's hope for the best. Larsen will either start or be the 1st big off of the bench, this year started out really well, but many speculated that he tweaked his knee, either way, it wa sa growing year for him and I expect double figure minutes from him next season. Petrusev will give us some good minutes at the 4 and 5 off of the bench, but he too will be a true freshman. Greg Foster will redshirt, nothing more needs to be said about that.

Unknown: Will Tillie return, or head to Europe or NBA to begin his pro career? As good of a WCC tourney that he had, her had an equally bad MM, culminating in not even playing last night due to the hip injury. He needs one more year to prove that he can be consistent and stay healthy, but that's not our call, and many, many people said that he is gone. Who will be our backup pg? Is Ayayi ready to step in and play major minutes as Josh's backup? He was only a 17 year old freshman, so he's still quite young. Jesse Wade; I honestly feel bad for this kid. So many people had such high expectations for him, but he barely played, even last night when we needed 3 point shooting, he couldn't get off of the bench. The fact that Few is still going so hard after a pg for next season is an obvious indicator that he feels that we are in serious need of a pg; what that means about JW's future with the Zags, I have no idea. Will JJ stay on schollie or return to walk on status? Do we land one more recruit for 2018? The staff is casting the net wide and far, will they reel anyone in that can help immediately? Do we bring in any grad transfers? My fantasy would be to bring the Dauminator over from South Dakota State, selfishly I think he's got Zag player written all over him, but I think he's very loyal to his school, or might head to the NBA.

Summary: We return 3 studs, a stud redshirt big and a center that wants to really show his worth. Other than that, there's a lot of mystery, but there was for this season as well. Mystery can be exciting, but also nerve wracking. Like this season, depth may be an issue again. Possible starting lineup:

PG: Perks, Ayayi
    SG: Norvell, CK
    SF: Rui, CK, JJ
    PF: Clarke, Petrusev
    C: Larsen, Petrusev

Go Zags!
  • Coach Crazy
    • Apr 2011

I appreciate everything Tillie has done. If he decides to go, it will open up an opportunity for players like Filip to (who I think is more skilled than Killian) grow into an impact role before March, next year. As well, I would like to see if there is a late sign or grad transfer out there.

As far as Larsen, will be interesting to see what an off-season does. I hope this loss motivates Josh to return. He's turned the corner and become the PG that we have all been expecting. A senior season will help his draft stock, as well. Brandon Clarke is a more skilled version of J3, a bit more fluid. Might not be as strong, but he can get up. Petrusev, CK, and Ayayi will be as good as any bench in the game. If they add another grad transfer/signee or two, you've got the depth to make a real run at the ring.

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
      Banned
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Coach Crazy View Post
      I appreciate everything Tillie has done. If he decides to go, it will open up an opportunity for players like Filip to (who I think is more skilled than Killian) grow into an impact role before March, next year. As well, I would like to see if there is a late sign or grad transfer out there.

As far as Larsen, will be interesting to see what an off-season does. I hope this loss motivates Josh to return. He's turned the corner and become the PG that we have all been expecting. A senior season will help his draft stock, as well. Brandon Clarke is a more skilled version of J3, a bit more fluid. Might not be as strong, but he can get up. Petrusev, CK, and Ayayi will be as good as any bench in the game. If they add another grad transfer/signee or two, you've got the depth to make a real run at the ring.
      Tillie is very skilled offensively, not sure it's fair to compare Petrusev to him yet. Can Petrusev shoot the 3 like Killian? I honestly don't know. Ayayi is a complete unknown, I have no idea whatsoever what we'll see from him. The fact that few is trying really hard to get another pg is telling.

Comment

• strikenowhere
        Zag for Life
        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
        While last night was sad, it's hard to get too upset about another 30+ win season, and 4 straight Sweet Sixteens with 3 new starters. We don't rebuild, we reload. Now, next season is totally a mystery with a lot of rumor and innuendo floating around. I'll try to break this down into two categories: most likely and unknown.

Most Likely: Three of our starters return, Perks, Zach and Rui; that is an awesome 3 headed monster and just bringing those 3 back should propel us into preseason top 10 next season. Brandon Clarke will replace JWIII and/or Tillie and we won't skip a beat. ESPN doesn't even mention this guy, because they're not intimately familiar with the team, but we as die hard fans are. For those that don't know Brandon Clarke was a 1 man wrecking crew on an awful SJSU team, he faced double teams every game and still put up 18/9. Hopefully a year in the Olynyk Clinic added some bulk to his wiry frame, but not too much. Here's just a taste of what he'll bring: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c4v1IXxhxg CK comes back as either a starter or a 6th man instant offense. He went through some growing pains this year, but keep in mind, he was a true freshman. CK has a great motor and I think he'll step up his offensive output to double figures, the defensive side, well, let's hope for the best. Larsen will either start or be the 1st big off of the bench, this year started out really well, but many speculated that he tweaked his knee, either way, it wa sa growing year for him and I expect double figure minutes from him next season. Petrusev will give us some good minutes at the 4 and 5 off of the bench, but he too will be a true freshman. Greg Foster will redshirt, nothing more needs to be said about that.

Unknown: Will Tillie return, or head to Europe or NBA to begin his pro career? As good of a WCC tourney that he had, her had an equally bad MM, culminating in not even playing last night due to the hip injury. He needs one more year to prove that he can be consistent and stay healthy, but that's not our call, and many, many people said that he is gone. Who will be our backup pg? Is Ayayi ready to step in and play major minutes as Josh's backup? He was only a 17 year old freshman, so he's still quite young. Jesse Wade; I honestly feel bad for this kid. So many people had such high expectations for him, but he barely played, even last night when we needed 3 point shooting, he couldn't get off of the bench. The fact that Few is still going so hard after a pg for next season is an obvious indicator that he feels that we are in serious need of a pg; what that means about JW's future with the Zags, I have no idea. Will JJ stay on schollie or return to walk on status? Do we land one more recruit for 2018? The staff is casting the net wide and far, will they reel anyone in that can help immediately? Do we bring in any grad transfers? My fantasy would be to bring the Dauminator over from South Dakota State, selfishly I think he's got Zag player written all over him, but I think he's very loyal to his school, or might head to the NBA.

Summary: We return 3 studs, a stud redshirt big and a center that wants to really show his worth. Other than that, there's a lot of mystery, but there was for this season as well. Mystery can be exciting, but also nerve wracking. Like this season, depth may be an issue again. Possible starting lineup:

PG: Perks, Ayayi
        SG: Norvell, CK
        SF: Rui, CK, JJ
        PF: Clarke, Petrusev
        C: Larsen, Petrusev

Go Zags!
        Perks is most definitely NOT a known quantity right now, hence the frantic scramble by the staff to secure some sort of functional point guard.

Comment

• former1dog
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

It is no secret that IMO, Josh Perkins is the single most important piece of the puzzle for next years team. I hope and pray that he decides to return because if he does, I think we'll have the pieces in place for a run to the NCAA championships.

Comment

• Coach Crazy
            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
            Tillie is very skilled offensively, not sure it's fair to compare Petrusev to him yet. Can Petrusev shoot the 3 like Killian? I honestly don't know. Ayayi is a complete unknown, I have no idea whatsoever what we'll see from him. The fact that few is trying really hard to get another pg is telling.
            Killian's post moves are very limited. He can score in the mid-range, and can shoot the three. Filip has a quicker first step in attacking the rim, is a better passer, and definitely a better shooter. I'd put Petrusev somewhere between Collins and Wiltj, being closer to Zach. As far as Ayayi. He was never going to be a PG option. He's a combo guard. His defense and athleticism in the open court alone will be very valuable, next season. What remains to be seen is whether or not he has the shot selection, the handles, and the in-game IQ to stay above water.

I'm not saying push Killian out. If he wants to stay, then by all means, it's a great problem to have (having 4 bigs and figuring out playing time). IF someone's heart is not at GU, it's best for them and the program to go where they really want to be.

Comment

• Coach Crazy
              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by former1dog View Post
              It is no secret that IMO, Josh Perkins is the single most important piece of the puzzle for next years team. I hope and pray that he decides to return because if he does, I think we'll have the pieces in place for a run to the NCAA championships.
              Very much agree with this. He looks different, even from the beginning of the year. It all seems to be there now.

Comment

• raise the zag
                Zag for Life
                • May 2011

Good post, yet think Josh Perkins should be listed with Tillie as 'unknown'.

Well known Perkins has, at the very least, shown interest in playing professionally over-seas. Several people have confirmed he has looked into the possibility.

No guarantees with either. At least by this point, we knew Collins was gone. He may not have said anything, but the writing was on the wall.

I think Perkins has room to really elevate his game:

First, get his shoulder stronger...or healthier. Definitely has stability issues.

Second, develop a consistent/reliable floater. Just imagine Perkins being able to score in the lane or around the rim. Add to his ability to manage games, hit 3pt shots (although he went cold after his hair started falling into his face).

I think we'd be a Top-10, maybe Top-5 team even pre-season IF Perkins, Tillie, & Rui return, along with Norvell, Kispert, Clarke.

Comment

• former1dog
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by raise the zag View Post
                  Second, develop a consistent/reliable floater. Just imagine Perkins being able to score in the lane or around the rim. Add to his ability to manage games, hit 3pt shots (although he went cold after his hair started falling into his face).
                  Good post Raise.

I think Josh has a reliable floater, he just never goes to it. I don't recall ever seeing Josh miss a floater, its just a very rare occurence to see him use it.

I agree his consistent use of a floater would make him even more dangerous off the dribble.

I would really like to see him drive and kick a lot more next season. If Tillie returns and with Norvell, a drive and kick would be very effective.

Comment

• Alum08
                    Professional Zag Fan
                    • Feb 2014

Speaking of Josh, any updates on his leg injury?

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
                      Banned
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by strikenowhere View Post
                      Perks is most definitely NOT a known quantity right now, hence the frantic scramble by the staff to secure some sort of functional point guard.
                      I would think the scramble for a pg is due to Ayayi and Wade

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
                        Banned
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Coach Crazy View Post
                        Killian's post moves are very limited. He can score in the mid-range, and can shoot the three. Filip has a quicker first step in attacking the rim, is a better passer, and definitely a better shooter. I'd put Petrusev somewhere between Collins and Wiltj, being closer to Zach. As far as Ayayi. He was never going to be a PG option. He's a combo guard. His defense and athleticism in the open court alone will be very valuable, next season. What remains to be seen is whether or not he has the shot selection, the handles, and the in-game IQ to stay above water.

I'm not saying push Killian out. If he wants to stay, then by all means, it's a great problem to have (having 4 bigs and figuring out playing time). IF someone's heart is not at GU, it's best for them and the program to go where they really want to be.
                        Killian shot almost 50% from three, with over 60 attempts.

Comment

• TravelinZag
                          Zag for Life
                          • Dec 2012

There is one open slot and the likelihood that more will appear. Believe GU can seek both a point guard and a big, hopefully players that can have an immediate impact. Raise our level of expectations Again!

Go Zags! Fill out the roster wi a couple of great players.

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
                            Banned
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by raise the zag View Post
                            Good post, yet think Josh Perkins should be listed with Tillie as 'unknown'.

Well known Perkins has, at the very least, shown interest in playing professionally over-seas. Several people have confirmed he has looked into the possibility.

No guarantees with either. At least by this point, we knew Collins was gone. He may not have said anything, but the writing was on the wall.

I think Perkins has room to really elevate his game:

First, get his shoulder stronger...or healthier. Definitely has stability issues.

I think we'd be a Top-10, maybe Top-5 team even pre-season IF Perkins, Tillie, & Rui return, along with Norvell, Kispert, Clarke.
                            Yeah, this is top 5 talent, but again, bench would be a huge concern; Larsen, Petrusev and then???

Comment

• RenoZag
                              Super Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Norvell confirmed he was returning; Tillie and Rui non-committal, according to the S-R: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...nzaga-rui-hac/
                              The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

Working...
                              X