PDA

View Full Version : Fraschilla on the Zags

BobZag
10-31-2007, 05:20 PM
Matt (Spokane, WA): Does Gonzaga make the elite 8 this year? They probably have the most athletic team that they've ever had. David Pendergraft will show true leadership on that team!

Fran Fraschilla: Matt, I've already gotten a chance to see the Zags work out and this is, by all accounts, Coach Few's deepest, most athletic team. I was particularly impressed with how good a shape Josh Heytvelt was in prior to his recent foot injury. I love Pargo's toughness, Bolden's basketball savvy, Pendergraf's hustle and watch out for Micah Downs, who is starting to round back into form after transferring from Kansas. For this team to get back to the Elite 8, it's going to have to be solid on the defensive end of the floor versus the elite programs in the country. That has always been the main issue with the Zags. But this may be the year they can pull it off like in 1999.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

mnzag24
10-31-2007, 05:56 PM
Gotta love it.

From what we hear, the defense is going to be a lot stronger, especially if LG is back and shuttin people down on the perimeter. This season can't start soon enough.

cbbfanatic
10-31-2007, 06:19 PM
while athleticism and depth are often necessary to be a good defensive team, they certainly do not guarantee it. i have seen many incredibly athletic teams over the years that couldnt, or didnt, play defense for crap.

defense is more of a heart/program culture type thing.

i'm not saying this years edition of the bulldogs wont be a superior defensive team over years past, i'm just waiting to see it until i believe it.

ZaggyStardust
10-31-2007, 06:34 PM
Geez CBB Fanatic - did someone put razor blades in your candy tonight? You always have such pleasant and positive things to say!

23dpg
10-31-2007, 07:47 PM
He is always ready with the subtle digs.

No one on this board is going to argue that GU has been a stellar defensive team lately. But it is going too far to say our program's culture lacks heart.

I don't mind a reasonable assessment of the team. I do mind annonymous trolls who act like they are being reasonable but have malicious intent.

cggonzaga
11-01-2007, 08:08 AM
I think some are a little too sensitive because you see the red marks by his/her name. I didn't see anything wrong with the post at all. It's dead on. Defense has not been a culture here and we often don't play it with any heart. That's what happens however when the type of player you recruit is offensive minded. I really see it changing this year however. Ray Giac I think will alleviate a lot of our problems on the defensive side of things this year. Again, I think we'll be dominate inside and if we can take care of the perimeter (quit giving up wide open looks from three point range) we could be pretty good.

rennis
11-01-2007, 08:55 AM

i'm not saying this years edition of the bulldogs wont be a superior defensive team over years past, i'm just waiting to see it until i believe it.

While I agree defense is a culture thing, as others have said, the team doesn't lack heart. Gonzaga definitely does not have a defensive culture though, that I agree with.

I agree... I'll believe a good GU defensive team when I see it... by good defensive team I mean top 50 in the nation. That's good. I'm not sure we've ever done that.

D Hark 2003
11-01-2007, 12:35 PM
I agree with cggonzaga, the poster with the red squares was simply saying when he sees GU play D he will believe it. He never said that GU bball lacks the desire and heart to play D. Zagggystardust dont be so defensive, unless you are playing ball for the zags.;)

Anyways, i have been saying since last year, that if the two guys who got suspended were allowed to rejoin the team that this years version of the zags will be the best team we've had since 99 (or the 03 team that underachieved via a double ot loss to number one seed Arizona). I hope they can make it farther than the elite 8, the idea is to win a championship and i believe the zags can do it. If we get some momentum at tourny time and put all our talent together it will be a fun year to watch.

lothar98zag
11-01-2007, 01:38 PM
I think some are a little too sensitive because you see the red marks by his/her name.

no - I think people don't like what he/she posts and he/she got the red squares because of that. People didn't start disliking his posts after he got red squares.

cggonzaga
11-01-2007, 02:12 PM
no - I think people don't like what he/she posts and he/she got the red squares because of that. People didn't start disliking his posts after he got red squares

Regardless, there was nothing wrong with that post. ;)

23dpg
11-01-2007, 02:16 PM
cg,

read his other posts and see if you see a theme.

ZaggyStardust
11-01-2007, 02:40 PM
cg,

read his other posts and see if you see a theme.

Thank you - you are correct. There is a certain "tone" in the majority of CBB's posts. The subtle negative digs always seem to be there. Oh well. I got my own red box for my over sensitivity! Dang it all anyway......:( :(

cggonzaga
11-01-2007, 03:41 PM
I know fellas. I'm not defending his/her other posts. He's/she's fairly new to the board so we have to give a little chance to redeem himself/herself. I just didn't see the dig in that particular one. Thought it was pretty fair. Don't worry, the next one I'll rip to shreds! :D

Reborn
11-01-2007, 03:46 PM
ZSD says, "Oh well. I got my own red box for my over sensitivity! Dang it all anyway......" I'm with ya on that one, ZaggyStardust!!! Accept the fact makes me :D

I think this article is great.

I don't think you HAVE to be athletic (as in big muscles and able to jump over te backboard) to make the elite 8, but is sure helps. Fortunately, this year we DO have guys who fit that discription (Pargo, Heytvelt, Brown, LG, Sacre, Davis). But it is VITAL that we have Heart. And the word Zag is synonomous with HEART. WE HAVE HEART. To assume we don't, is no more than mere heresy...

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Zags!!!.......The Best is Yet to Come!!!

cggonzaga
11-01-2007, 03:49 PM
He/she never said GU didn't have heart.

Reborn
11-01-2007, 04:40 PM
who said he/she said that GU didn't have heart? I really don't think he/she would ever, ever, ever say that....I merely suggested that if he/she did, then flames would certainly break out all over Zagdom!!! But I really think it's really way to early for the FIRE to break out. I think it'll get lit in the GAS!!! I'll also give you one guess who I think the Fire Starter will be!!!

Go Zags!!!.......The Best is Yet to Come!!!