PDA

View Full Version : Post game thread vs FSU

Zags11
03-22-2018, 10:07 PM
Boy oh boy! Be careful who you root for. A lot of people wanted FSU instead of Xavier and look what happened.

I'll give credit to FSU but losing Tillie killed us. I said in my game prediction that Tillie would be the x factor. He would stretch out the Bigs and create lanes for the guards. Unfortunately, Tillie couldn't play and FSU sagged off jw3 and rui.

Rui had a decent game but needs to dunk vs these type of athletes instead of lay ins. We were undersized once Tillie couldn't go and it ruined any game plan few set when Tillie left.

Honestly I'm going to sound rough but I hope Tillie was legit hurt. (Not a little sore)I believe Tillie was hurt and by Wednesday night Tillie felt good. During warmups Tillie hurt it on a dunk.

I'm a little salty. If we lose with Tillie, then I understand.

Reborn
03-23-2018, 04:37 AM
It was tough to watch because we played so poorly. Everyone. But it was obvious that Tilie not playing killed the Zags. You could see it from the very beginning. I know I wasn't prepared for the blow when I heard, just before the toss up, who the starters would be. It was a heavy blow. I think it hit the team that way too because I have NEVER seen this team play as poorly as they did. I'm not going to go into an analysis of the game because it's just one bad game in a pretty darn good season. When someone as good as Tillie gets hurt it just ruins the whole chemistry to the team. Without him we had no bench, and all year we had a great bench.

I wasn't overly impressed with Florida State. They're a big, tough team, and very athletic. But they are not the kind of basketball team I like at all. The way they play the game reminds me more of football than basketball. I've NEVER liked their style of play. I have no doubt that we would have killed them with Tillie.

The one thing that I don't understand about the team this year, at this tournament, is the poor foul shooting. I just don't get it. I've just never seen this team as chokers, and that's what they did at the foul line. Odd.

I love this team, and no matter how bad I may feel, I know they feel 100 times worse. I hope they keep their heads up because they really are a very good team.

Go Zags!!!

TexasZagFan
03-23-2018, 04:49 AM
It was tough to watch because we played so poorly. Everyone. But it was obvious that Tilie not playing killed the Zags. You could see it from the very beginning. I know I wasn't prepared for the blow when I heard, just before the toss up, who the starters would be. It was a heavy blow. I think it hit the team that way too because I have NEVER seen this team play as poorly as they did. I'm not going to go into an analysis of the game because it's just one bad game in a pretty darn good season. When someone as good as Tillie gets hurt it just ruins the whole chemistry to the team. Without him we had no bench, and all year we had a great bench.

I wasn't overly impressed with Florida State. They're a big, tough team, and very athletic. But they are not the kind of basketball team I like at all. The way they play the game reminds me more of football than basketball. I've NEVER liked their style of play. I have no doubt that we would have killed them with Tillie.

The one thing that I don't understand about the team this year, at this tournament, is the poor foul shooting. I just don't get it. I've just never seen this team as chokers, and that's what they did at the foul line. Odd.

I love this team, and no matter how bad I may feel, I know they feel 100 times worse. I hope they keep their heads up because they really are a very good team.

Go Zags!!!

As usual, spot on, my friend.

The sun's coming up this morning, a new day that gets us going on the next Zag journey. It won't be "the road to vindication", because there's nothing left to prove. The record of excellence on the court and in the classroom speaks for itself.

Thank you to all the players, congratulations to our seniors Silas & J3 on their leadership.

GrizZAG
03-23-2018, 06:09 AM
Rui was getting blocked hard underneath with no calls. I believe that it sequestered his game too much in a mental sense. He tried to do his thing with no success several times early and it wasn't working. Additionally it appeared we got rattled for a while by their aggressive style and length. Because the refs were not making the calls it appeared to me it got into the players heads a great deal. The loss of Tillie had a broader impact than just his physical presence in the game, the guys were unable to reconcile angst about it. They knew going in with 7 vs. 10 was a tall order but when it suddenly was six vs ten they knew fouling was not an option and let them have their way too much as a result out of necessity...no good choice there.

Thank you Zags for a great and exciting season! I am more than happy with our season and it exceeded my early expectations. Hats off to Perkins for playing some terrific basketball this year, and Melson you will be sorely missed. J3 you were the rock all season. As one poster noted correctly "Only one team goes home happy" Our day will come.

kitzbuel
03-23-2018, 06:33 AM
I wonder when the decision to not play Tillie was made? If he truly re-injured it during warm-ups, there was not a lot of game planning time.

Birddog
03-23-2018, 07:28 AM
I wonder when the decision to not play Tillie was made? If he truly re-injured it during warm-ups, there was not a lot of game planning time.

The TV announcers said that during the practice the day before that Tillie didn't do anything and when Few was asked about that his answer was less than forthcoming.

Zagceo
03-23-2018, 07:35 AM
The TV announcers said that during the practice the day before that Tillie didn't do anything and when Few was asked about that his answer was less than forthcoming.

Few said in post presser Tillie bumped into teammate practicing Tuesday...didnít look like a rough collision but really really caused Tillie major pain.

kitzbuel
03-23-2018, 07:40 AM

I figured that something might come up after the game, now that the cat is out of the bag.

Zags11
03-23-2018, 07:41 AM

From what I heard from Fews mouth is that he was hurt in practice and by Wednesday night it seemed he could play. Then he hurt himself dunking the basketball during warmups and told few he couldn't play.

former1dog
03-23-2018, 08:08 AM
It was tough to watch because we played so poorly. Everyone.

Spot on with your whole post Reborn, but especially this. It was maddening knowing our guys are so much better than they showed last night. What a joy this season was, though! We are so blessed.

Zagger
03-23-2018, 08:34 AM
Well, Rats! But, pretty darn fine season! This team excelled and exceeded most people's expectations. I'm very proud of them! If everyone that can return next season does return ..... I fully expect a 5th Sweet 16 :) being a reachable goal. Once a team's at the S16 they're knocking on the door of the Championship.
I'm especially keen on just how much many of the Zags improved during the season and will sorely miss J3 & Silas. Go Zags!
Thank You Few, coaches, team and GU Athletics! Wonderful season!

bballbeachbum
03-23-2018, 09:44 AM
thanks for the news on Tillie. wow

Reborn, I agree with you on how it felt and the blow and the impact losing KT like that had, mentally physically emotionally tactically...everything!

But, and I'm in the minority probably, I have to give Hamilton and FSU a ton of credit. They defend similarly to how the Zags did last year; take away the periemter by forcing the bounce and running guys off catch and shoots, then staying home weakside on shooters to not allow the kick after forcing the bounce to the paint. So they look to force tough twos, and they have some rim protectors that caused problems for the Zags all night at the rim, then it all sparks their transition game. The mid range and specific 1v1 matchups that brought no help (J3 was one last night) are the way to attack it, my humble opinion, to force the D to adjust and then other things can open up

I give the Zags so much credit for how they defended last year to cause the problems, and that's what I saw last night. Hamilton's teams have been doing just that to Duke and others for 15+ years or something, I want to say longer? Idk exactly, but he's the first I remember seeing to make this D adjustment as the game evolved with the larger and larger impact of the 3 point shot. Duke was the master of the drive and kick back when teams still collapsed their D to stop the dribble...the OPPOSITE of what Hamilton did back then that continues to work today, and did for the Zags last year

in watching the Michigan team vs. TA&M, they shot a ton of wide open catch and shoot 3s. If they get those looks Saturday, I think they win, but Hamilton's D is specifically to defend that, so it could be an interesting one to watch

Birddog
03-23-2018, 09:47 AM
Those of you that are dismissing FSU's defense: FSU had 9 blocks, 8 steals, and probably a similar amount of deflections. I don't think the Zags faced anything like that this season. Toss in the missed FT's and you have the recipe for a loss.

SWZag
03-23-2018, 09:56 AM
I don't believe I've seen anything commented so far, but during the game, I thought GU was brilliant in one particular thing. I think the decision to have JIII bring up the ball was a thing of genius. Their big was in no way able to guard JIII in the open court and FSU knew they couldn't double him so far from the basket and leave our guards open. Every time JIII brought up the ball, there was no resistance. When our guards did try, there was a bit of a struggle and was a bit harder.

Just my observation.

demian
03-23-2018, 10:01 AM
I actually thought FSU looked real good. for all the same reasons bballbeachbum and Birddog mentioned. I thought the zags played with great heart last night and fought as hard as they could but just could not overcome an opponent who on one night only (last night) had a better roster from the first man to the 12th man (shoot there 12th man even came in at end of the first half and hit a bucket at the buzzer to go into halftime). That's tough to play against a deep, tall, long/rangy, athletic team. Of course we missed shots all night long but I don't feel bad about that because I can imagine those shots were tougher than they appeared with FSU defense the way it was last night. Our poor free throw shooting was inexcusable though but oh well, it happens. What a true pleasure the last month and a half have been that our team gave to us. Thanks for getting us through the dread of winter and into spring with a lot of entertaining moments that made us feel real good about being fans of the best team THIS SIDE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS for the 2017 and 2018 season. As for the seniors = thanks to Silas and JW3 for everything you gave to the Zags.

Birddog
03-24-2018, 03:34 AM
Just an impression I had when watching the game, but have the Zags ever had so many players knocked to the floor in one game? Norvell esp. was taking a beating.

Zagger
03-24-2018, 04:39 AM
Just an impression I had when watching the game, but have the Zags ever had so many players knocked to the floor in one game? Norvell esp. was taking a beating.

That was tough to watch. I like football fine - just not on a basketball court. It did not help that the Zags FT % this season was low. Who's going to fear fouling a team when they shoot FTs poorly? FSU having a deep bench compounded the problem. So goes the Dance though - tough competition and if a team has a weakness it's going to show. Tillie being out was a bit like salt in the wound - or playing chess minus a piece or two. Still .... I hate seeing rough and tumble basketball. Scrambling for a loose ball - fine. Hard fouling .... there's a reason I'm not a hockey fan.

Zagceo
03-24-2018, 06:42 AM

I remember one play..Zags got a defensive rebound...Josh just stumbled and tumbled to the floor behind the play without the ball. I didn’t see any contact or did I just miss the contact?

I credit FSU length, depth and aggressive defense for creating disruptive chaos in Zag offense.

How many noticed Rui getting pushed hard off the block and Josh getting denied passing lanes for entry looks.

Zags played right into Noles hands missing so many long shots creating transition offense just like the scouting report feared.

Bunnies getting missed because players tried adjusting to length with speed timing was disrupted IMO.

Yeah sure it woulda been different if Zach and Silas made some 3’s early but also believe Noles would’ve adjusted if that occurred.

MontanaCoyote
03-24-2018, 08:18 AM
I remember one play..Zags got a defensive rebound...Josh just stumbled and tumbled to the floor behind the play without the ball. I didn’t see any contact or did I just miss the contact?

I credit FSU length, depth and aggressive defense for creating disruptive chaos in Zag offense.

How many noticed Rui getting pushed hard off the block and Josh getting denied passing lanes for entry looks.

Zags played right into Noles hands missing so many long shots creating transition offense just like the scouting report feared.

Bunnies getting missed because players tried adjusting to length with speed timing was disrupted IMO.

Yeah sure it woulda been different if Zach and Silas made some 3’s early but also believe Noles would’ve adjusted if that occurred.

I think you nailed it. Pressured, pestered, pushed around, disrupted, denied. And yes a few 3’s and Tillie would have made a difference, a winnng difference. Credit FSU guards for tight, in your face 3 D, but with Tillie shooting 3’s and making them?
Huge!