PDA

View Full Version : Heytvelt's foot?

Baldwinzag
10-31-2007, 03:07 PM
Josh's injury has been a redundant topic, yet the last update was posted over a week ago. Just curious to know if anyone has heard whether Josh has progressed from running on a treadmill or not? Has he been cleared to practice on a limited basis yet or should we just wait and see at the first tip-off?

Couldn't help but notice that Heytvelt took part in the "Soulja boy" dance, and must say, displayed some fluid and nimble dancing skills with his feet. At this point, I took it as a good sign.:) I understand a stress reaction is a rather unpredictable injury in terms of whether it heals quickly or potentially developing into a stress fracture...

From what I've gathered on the board thus far, this is the latest injury update provided:

Josh's foot sounds exactly like two years ago when his stress reaction didn't heal until Maui. It was an extremely slow process then, and it's looking the same way now. We may not see Josh until Alaska, where he'll be rusty, out of shape, out of sync and behind the curve. This will hurt his chances at the NBA next year, imo.

Radbooks
10-31-2007, 04:18 PM
Here's a little information from the Spokesman-Review Sportslink site:

'Junior forward Josh Heytvelt has been cleared to do some light running. Heytvelt has yet to practice because of a stress reaction in his foot.'

There is more information about him and also about Larry here (http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/sportslink/archive/?postID=6307#more)

zagfan07
11-01-2007, 08:10 AM
Sounds like bad news to me. Those stress fracture type of injuries can take forever to heal. We're going to need Josh at full strength by the time we get to Alaska. I hope Few doesn't rush him back. We should be able to get through the first few games with the other guys, but once we start playing the big boys Heytvelt had better be ready or we're going to need Pendo, Kuso and Daye to step up big time and fill his shoes.

cggonzaga
11-01-2007, 08:16 AM
It's not a stress fracture. He dropped a weight on his foot. It's more of a deep bruise type thing that they're calling a stress reaction for some reason.

mdZag23
11-01-2007, 09:40 AM
they are keeping him out of the exhibition game and it is being evaluated almost daily. It is a stress reaction, not a fracture. Which means, it may or may not be an injury.

They are expecting him back for Game 1. vs Montana

Baldwinzag
11-01-2007, 09:52 AM
they are keeping him out of the exhibition game and it is being evaluated almost daily. It is a stress reaction, not a fracture. Which means, it may or may not be an injury.

They are expecting him back for Game 1. vs Montana

Thanks for the update/report MD. Sounds like good news and that was exactly the type of report I was hoping for! :D

BobZag
11-01-2007, 10:22 AM
I said it before and I'll say it again now: Don't be surprised if Josh plays his first game in Alaska. Coaches are way too optimistic re: Montana game. This stress reaction thing happened to Josh two years ago at the same time, and he didn't play until Maui.

cggonzaga
11-01-2007, 10:36 AM
Bob, if I recall correctly that was a stress fracture?

BobZag
11-01-2007, 10:52 AM
Bob, if I recall correctly that was a stress fracture?

Nope, it was a stress reaction. Micah had the stress fracture last year. Or you could be thinking of his broken ankle AFTER his stress reaction healed.

http://gozags.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/112405aaa.html

dim4sum
11-01-2007, 11:09 AM
The key to an injury free year (providing,of course, fatboy Samhan doesn't come crashing down on you): Out of the weight room and onto the track.
Run,don't lift. Stay away from simple carbs and soft drinks that leech calcium from the bones.

ZagFanatic
11-01-2007, 02:04 PM
Seriously dim4sum, did you have some sort of weightroom accident at some point in your life? I think every time this topic comes up you're right there with your anti-weight-training message. Just wondering where this intense stance is coming from, because it's definitely beyond merely a casual opinion.

MDABE80
11-01-2007, 03:17 PM
MDZAG is correct.....it's day to day. BZ is likely correct as well. Josh will be watching for a while. Josh is just too valuable to go too early. Besides, we have the horses to win the games prior to GAS. Why risk that foot? Listen fellas, it'll all work out. Have some faith:)

ZagNut08
11-01-2007, 03:44 PM
dim4sum, just curious, have you ever played sports...if so, which ones?

JoeZag
11-06-2007, 11:38 AM
As of this weekend, Gonzaga coach Mark Few said junior Josh Heytvelt, back from a suspension last February, is still struggling to return from a foot injury.

I hope things look brighter in a week or so. We need JH to be healthy this season if we still want to be dancing in April.