PDA

View Full Version : Withers: Morrison riffs on Norvell

sittingon50
03-20-2018, 09:14 PM
http://en.bloguru.com/GloryHounds/320103/an-old-zag-megascorer-riffs-on-the-next

adoptedzag
03-20-2018, 09:48 PM
http://en.bloguru.com/GloryHounds/320103/an-old-zag-megascorer-riffs-on-the-next

Great article! Thanks!

zagzilla
03-20-2018, 09:58 PM
Thanks Bud

Zagger
03-21-2018, 02:25 AM
It's fortunate for GU's players that Morrison is involved with GU. Morrison and Hudson make a darn good pair to listen too and with Morrison closely watching each game he's got to be noticing lots of stuff about players he can share. Good story. Can't wait to see how the Zags do in LA :) and how FSU reacts defensively to Zach. Thanks for sharing 50 :)

Birddog
03-21-2018, 03:48 AM
Very nice, thanks.

gozagswoohoo
03-21-2018, 07:00 AM
The question, then: Does Morrison see some of himself in Norvell?

“Yeah, some of the stuff, I really do, the unconscious stuff,” Morrison said. “If you want to score in bunches, you’ve got to forget the last shot. It’s so cliché, but it’s hard for guys to do it.”

Not sure why, but this gave me chills. Great article, thanks.

SWZag
03-21-2018, 07:22 AM
Thanks 50! Good article by Bud.

I find myself thinking every so often about how Norvell's story would be different if Corey had never sprained his ankle.

MontanaCoyote
03-21-2018, 07:40 AM
Thanks 50! Good article by Bud.

I find myself thinking every so often about how Norvell's story would be different if Corey had never sprained his ankle.

Exactly. We often forget just how large a role chance plays in our lives. You just never know.

TexasZagFan
03-21-2018, 08:10 AM
Exactly. We often forget just how large a role chance plays in our lives. You just never know.

I have often marveled at the path my life has taken, all the way to just a month ago, when I arrived one Wednesday evening to be told I was the only one of SIX teachers to show that night. We combined our two 6th grade classes, 30 students in one classroom...a recipe for disaster.

The lesson that night? Agape love. As the first 8 minute video is played, I pull up a search on Fr. Spitzer's "Healing the Culture", and the chapter on the 4 levels of happiness, similar to what the priest in the video was discussing.

My intro? "If you haven't believed in the Holy Spirit, you will after tonight's class. I followed Fr. Spitzer by two years at Gonzaga, and have heard his speeches on agape love."

Hard to believe, but 30 6th graders paid complete attention for nigh on 30 minutes.

zaguarxj
03-21-2018, 08:47 AM
He's improved his defense enough over the season that Ammo comparisons are no longer relevant. ;) He's becoming a force at both ends of the court. 12 rebounds against OSU was almost as impressive as the 28 pts.

Zagceo
03-21-2018, 09:11 AM
Norvell plays fearless....the kid hits the deck couple of times a game. real alpha in a sea of introverts

CDC84
03-21-2018, 09:24 AM
I have mentioned many times that I feel Zach has the best "killer's instinct" for scoring of any GU player since Morrison.

zaguarxj
03-21-2018, 09:25 AM
Norvell plays fearless....the kid hits the deck couple of times a game. real alpha in a sea of introverts

Sometimes takes a smack in the head to wake 'um up. Imagine what would happen if JWIII and Rui both get hit in the jaw in the same game!

CDC84
03-21-2018, 09:32 AM
“Being a lefthander is such an advantage, because you’re not used to guarding it,” Morrison says.

This cannot be stressed enough. Ask any elite defensive player, and they will tell you the same. And it's even harder when defending a guard/wing.

ZAG 4 LIFE
03-21-2018, 09:43 AM
Possibly Pargo's greatest assist as a Zag

jake
03-21-2018, 09:44 AM
Great article. Thanks for the link. This is the part the resonated with me. Obviously it was apparent Norvell had talent early and could score in bunches, but what Morrison mentions below is why, I feel, he's gone from more of a scorer to a very valuable part of our success. There were a couple games early where I was worried he was a guy that could score without helping the team. I haven't felt like that anytime recently.

“He was kind of thinking, his-shot-first,” Morrison says. “Now it’s more of a flow. He’s starting to understand when’s a good shot and when’s not. You could tell, from my perspective as a former player, when it’s, ‘I’m gonna shoot it (pre-determining, in other words), instead of trusting that it’s gonna come back.

“I think he kind of pressed a little bit early. That’s a tough role to come into. He wasn’t taking horrible shots, but some of them, that’s got to be a ball-swing and trust it’s going to come back to you.

“You’ve got to give him credit for being ready for the opportunity. A lot of kids will get frustrated.”

bballbeachbum
03-21-2018, 11:03 AM
fun read, great stuff, thanks

great quote jake. learning to trust his teammates while giving up nothing in his approach, just adding depth to it, love that growth we've seen, that maturity.

and his confidence earned now must be at an all time high tho I don't think he's the lone alpha on this team Zagceo!

RenoZag
03-21-2018, 11:07 AM
In recent interviews, Few has described the team as a bunch of introverts and went on to say that they needed a guy like Snacks to be a vocal leader. I believe Coach Few made this point in the Andy Katz interview and in one of the NCAA press conferences. . .

bballbeachbum
03-21-2018, 11:14 AM
In recent interviews, Few has described the team as a bunch of introverts and went on to say that they needed a guy like Snacks to be a vocal leader. I believe Coach Few made this point in the Andy Katz interview and in one of the NCAA press conferences. . .

I remember that! But Josh playing like an alpha seems to me

kdaleb
03-21-2018, 11:20 AM

I remember noticing that last year even. When the team would huddle, who’s doing the talking but the skinny freshman kid who’s redshirting. He’s not even playing, and he’s the one barking.

JPtheBeasta
03-21-2018, 11:38 AM

If I recall (maybe it was the post-Ohio press conference; maybe it was the same interview Reno mentioned above), Few referred to Norvell as the spiritual leader of the team, in games and practice. I think from the context he was talking about picking up the energy level of the team. I believe we were told by Perkins last year that Norvell was a big trash talker when playing video games. Morrison said in the article above that he plays “unconscious.” If I was going to give a definition of “swag,” it would include all of the above.

In a year when we were worried about the loss of NGW, Norvell has emerged as the guy who can fill that void. This is meant as no offense to Perkins, who has played with great confidence in his own right, but Norvell just seems to take it to another level.

maynard g krebs
03-21-2018, 12:14 PM
In a year when we were worried about the loss of NGW, Norvell has emerged as the guy who can fill that void. This is meant as no offense to Perkins, who has played with great confidence in his own right, but Norvell just seems to take it to another level.

I'm on record since before the season as believing that the Zags would be fine w/o NWG. As Dickau said, he was much more ball dominant that Josh, who took two shots and dished 8 assists in a recent game. Never happen w/ NWG, who upped his shots from about 11 to about 16 in the tourney.

I have believed since day one that having Josh run the show would lead to much more opportunity for Norvell, Kispert, Hachimura to shine (though I expected more out of Kispert- ankle really slowed him for a while- and a bit less from Hachimura). IMO if NWG was here, no way possible that Norvell/Rui could combine for 53 pts on 29 fg attempts v Ohio State. NWG takes about half of those attempts, and those young guys don't develop at the same rate.

JPtheBeasta
03-21-2018, 02:39 PM
I'm on record since before the season as believing that the Zags would be fine w/o NWG. As Dickau said, he was much more ball dominant that Josh, who took two shots and dished 8 assists in a recent game. Never happen w/ NWG, who upped his shots from about 11 to about 16 in the tourney.

I have believed since day one that having Josh run the show would lead to much more opportunity for Norvell, Kispert, Hachimura to shine (though I expected more out of Kispert- ankle really slowed him for a while- and a bit less from Hachimura). IMO if NWG was here, no way possible that Norvell/Rui could combine for 53 pts on 29 fg attempts v Ohio State. NWG takes about half of those attempts, and those young guys don't develop at the same rate.

I recall you mentioning this before, along with your rationale and it made sense then. It is hard to argue with now, given the results.

bballbeachbum
03-21-2018, 03:21 PM

I remember too, good call, and would add no Karno is another key factor in touch distribution and this team's evolution from last year's team; when he was on the floor Zags went thru him a lot, to shoot, to distribute. Zach C got touches when on the floor too and was a focus on O. all those touches went elsewhere this season in the restructured offense, along with NWG's, and also the sets with action for Jordan, which Zach Jr now gets. so lots of shots to distribute, and I think guys may still have evolved, maybe differently, but that could be said for Zach Jr. too if Corey hadn't got hurt, etc.. many factors