• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • basketballzag
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Just Say No Tommy Lloyd

Stay at Gonzaga and pass on whoever this school is. If you ever do jump at least jump to a school that is a brand name. I couldn’t even tell you where Utah State University is located or anything else about the school. About as well known as Middleburg State IMHO
  • Zag_Dad
    Zag for Life
    • Dec 2013

Tommy’s kids are still young and I believe he has previously been quoted to say he wants them to finish high school in Spokane. Maybe that’s wishful thinking on my part. I’d hate to see him go but obviously want what’s best for him. Hopefully what’s best for him is staying at Gonzaga and inheriting the program after Few has won a few national championships.

Comment

• MileHigh
      Professional Zag Fan
      • Jul 2014

Originally posted by basketballzag View Post
      https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-s...s-for-vacancy/

Stay at Gonzaga and pass on whoever this school is. If you ever do jump at least jump to a school that is a brand name. I couldn’t even tell you where Utah State University is located or anything else about the school. About as well known as Middleburg State IMHO
      Interesting. If Lloyd gets that job and Gonzaga moves to MWC, Lloyd and Few will play against each other twice next season

Comment

• jazzdelmar
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Pretty sure Tommy makes more than USU is willing to pay its new HC.

Comment

• webspinnre
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
          Pretty sure Tommy makes more than USU is willing to pay its new HC.
          This would be my guess as well.
          I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

• kylasdad
            Kennel Club Material
            • Feb 2007

His family is currently building a new house...

Comment

• 75Zag
              Zag for Life
              • Mar 2007

I have no desire to see Lloyd move on and I hope GU keeps him well paid and happy. Ten years ago there was chatter about how GU had "promised" Lloyd that he was the new head coach after Few retires. I see no hint of Few going anywhere for the next 20 or 30 years, so I hope Lloyd has a "long term horizon" on his coaching aspirations. Reminds me a bit of some of our eager young associate attorneys. The next time one of them asks me when he or she will be considered to become a partner, I am going to start telling them that they need to wait until Lloyd becomes GU's head coach, and then we can discuss it.

Tomorrow! Tomorrow! I love ya Tomorrow! You're always a day away.

Go Bulldogs!
              Do not go gentle into that good night,
              Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
              Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Comment

• strikenowhere
                Zag for Life
                • Sep 2009

Utah State? With his recruiting successes I'd be more worried about a sudden vacancy at Arizona.

Comment

• bartruff1
                  Zag for Life
                  • Jan 2010

Mark is 55 ....when he was asked about winning 1000 games and coaching till he was as old as K or Boeheim ....he said No Way....

I don't know what he is going to do......I doubt he will be coaching at 60.....business travel gets really old no matter how convenient the charters or how fancy the hotels or how good the food.....

Comment

• willandi
                    Zag for Life
                    • Nov 2007

Tommy has also seen the several assistants, and Monson, that went for greener grass.

The Gonzaga gig is pretty sweet, lower cost of living, no income tax and all that stuff. The only reason he would go would be an ego thing, not saying that's bad, but what he has here is mighty good.
                    Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• VinnyZag
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Utah State is in Logan, I know that much. It'd be stunning if Lloyd was tempted by that job. The other names on that list could be good hires though.

Comment

• Coach Crazy
                        • Apr 2011

Tommy ain't taking a job at USU. Trust me. Logan is a tough sell. Unless you are getting grad transfers, or the secondary level of talent from basketball-dense marketplaces where some talent may get overlooked, you have to go international (which Tommy can do), or find the diamonds in the rough that don't go to BYU or the U. If I was Tommy, I would probably have a hard time keeping a straight face while taking that call.

As has already been mentioned: USU probably can't pay him enough to leave.

No one should be worried, here.

Comment

• thebigsmoove
                          Zag for Life
                          • Nov 2007

Utah State was one of the winningest programs in the nation during the Stew Morrill days. Its got a rabid fanbase and is definitely invested in improving its athletic facilities and program. Tommy could do a whole lot worse than building his own version of GU in Logan. My guess is Mark Fox though, hes available now and has experience in the intermountain west (Nevada).

Comment

• CDC84
                            Super Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Nope.

Comment

• MDABE80
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Not this one.

Comment

Working...