PDA

View Full Version : Just Say No Tommy Lloyd

basketballzag
03-20-2018, 06:50 PM
https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-state-sports/2018/03/20/ex-unlv-coach-dave-rice-a-former-utah-state-and-byu-assistant-is-among-usus-targets-for-vacancy/

Stay at Gonzaga and pass on whoever this school is. If you ever do jump at least jump to a school that is a brand name. I couldn’t even tell you where Utah State University is located or anything else about the school. About as well known as Middleburg State IMHO

Zag_Dad
03-20-2018, 06:59 PM
Tommy’s kids are still young and I believe he has previously been quoted to say he wants them to finish high school in Spokane. Maybe that’s wishful thinking on my part. I’d hate to see him go but obviously want what’s best for him. Hopefully what’s best for him is staying at Gonzaga and inheriting the program after Few has won a few national championships.

MileHigh
03-20-2018, 07:00 PM
https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-state-sports/2018/03/20/ex-unlv-coach-dave-rice-a-former-utah-state-and-byu-assistant-is-among-usus-targets-for-vacancy/

Stay at Gonzaga and pass on whoever this school is. If you ever do jump at least jump to a school that is a brand name. I couldn’t even tell you where Utah State University is located or anything else about the school. About as well known as Middleburg State IMHO

Interesting. If Lloyd gets that job and Gonzaga moves to MWC, Lloyd and Few will play against each other twice next season

jazzdelmar
03-20-2018, 07:05 PM
Pretty sure Tommy makes more than USU is willing to pay its new HC.

webspinnre
03-20-2018, 07:33 PM
Pretty sure Tommy makes more than USU is willing to pay its new HC.

This would be my guess as well.

kylasdad
03-20-2018, 07:49 PM
His family is currently building a new house...

75Zag
03-20-2018, 07:52 PM
I have no desire to see Lloyd move on and I hope GU keeps him well paid and happy. Ten years ago there was chatter about how GU had "promised" Lloyd that he was the new head coach after Few retires. I see no hint of Few going anywhere for the next 20 or 30 years, so I hope Lloyd has a "long term horizon" on his coaching aspirations. Reminds me a bit of some of our eager young associate attorneys. The next time one of them asks me when he or she will be considered to become a partner, I am going to start telling them that they need to wait until Lloyd becomes GU's head coach, and then we can discuss it.

Tomorrow! Tomorrow! I love ya Tomorrow! You're always a day away.

Go Bulldogs!

strikenowhere
03-20-2018, 08:02 PM
Utah State? With his recruiting successes I'd be more worried about a sudden vacancy at Arizona.

bartruff1
03-20-2018, 08:07 PM
Mark is 55 ....when he was asked about winning 1000 games and coaching till he was as old as K or Boeheim ....he said No Way....

I don't know what he is going to do......I doubt he will be coaching at 60.....business travel gets really old no matter how convenient the charters or how fancy the hotels or how good the food.....

willandi
03-20-2018, 08:10 PM
Tommy has also seen the several assistants, and Monson, that went for greener grass.

The Gonzaga gig is pretty sweet, lower cost of living, no income tax and all that stuff. The only reason he would go would be an ego thing, not saying that's bad, but what he has here is mighty good.

VinnyZag
03-20-2018, 08:10 PM
Utah State is in Logan, I know that much. It'd be stunning if Lloyd was tempted by that job. The other names on that list could be good hires though.

Coach Crazy
03-20-2018, 08:27 PM
Tommy ain't taking a job at USU. Trust me. Logan is a tough sell. Unless you are getting grad transfers, or the secondary level of talent from basketball-dense marketplaces where some talent may get overlooked, you have to go international (which Tommy can do), or find the diamonds in the rough that don't go to BYU or the U. If I was Tommy, I would probably have a hard time keeping a straight face while taking that call.

As has already been mentioned: USU probably can't pay him enough to leave.

No one should be worried, here.

thebigsmoove
03-20-2018, 08:27 PM
Utah State was one of the winningest programs in the nation during the Stew Morrill days. Its got a rabid fanbase and is definitely invested in improving its athletic facilities and program. Tommy could do a whole lot worse than building his own version of GU in Logan. My guess is Mark Fox though, hes available now and has experience in the intermountain west (Nevada).

CDC84
03-20-2018, 08:40 PM
Nope.

MDABE80
03-20-2018, 08:44 PM
Not this one.

spike_jr
03-20-2018, 08:45 PM
Tommy has also seen the several assistants, and Monson, that went for greener grass.

The Gonzaga gig is pretty sweet, lower cost of living, no income tax and all that stuff. The only reason he would go would be an ego thing, not saying that's bad, but what he has here is mighty good.

A little off topic but I was fortunate enough to go to the Final Four last year. The gentleman next to me was a coach and a long time friend of both Leon and Billy Grier. Billy and Leon came and chatted with him between one of the games and I believe it was Billy that said, and probably only 1/2 joking, "I don't know why in the hell we ever left this gravy train." My wife and I both got a pretty good chuckle out of that.

I would also agree that USU probably can't match Tommy's current compensation

CDC84
03-20-2018, 08:59 PM
Few is not going to be Jim Boeheim Jr. I am 100% positive he will retire well before 70 and leave the program in first class shape for Tommy to take over.

Gonzaga can also easily up Tommy's pay if they so desire.

Utah has more money and resources that USU will ever have, and they couldn't come close to luring Randy Bennett from Saint Mary's.

It is true that Tommy is building a new house. His son is playing high school basketball at a very successful program right now.

Nope.

TexasZagFan
03-20-2018, 09:31 PM
Not this one.

O/T, but Corey, Jesse, and Big D are glad to see you've returned.

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q417/richkinley/IMG_1778_zpseucqfifi.jpg (http://s350.photobucket.com/user/richkinley/media/IMG_1778_zpseucqfifi.jpg.html)

JPtheBeasta
03-20-2018, 09:48 PM
Sean Miller might need a job soon.

MDABE80
03-20-2018, 09:48 PM
Thanks Tex. That lil man gets cuter by the month! Best to you and wife.

Just_An_Old_Zag
03-20-2018, 11:59 PM
If Tommy Wants to go be a head coach...all we can say is thanks and best of luck...
I remember him in his first year at GU doing the parent child camp
bringing donuts to us campers..
Chatted with him briefly at the Mens BasketBall Banguet and reminded him of that..his response which made me smile... I dont bring the donuts anymore
I hope he stays but if its time for him to spread his wings..god speed

Stache
03-21-2018, 12:58 AM
Interesting idea of Gonzaga Prep winning state with Liam Lloyd and GU winning National Title with Tommy coaching. Both have strength to reach the pinnacles next year too.

FuManShoes
03-21-2018, 07:07 AM
Maybe this is elitist, but seems to me that if Utah St. is the best offer Tommy can get after being a key part of building GU into a national powerhouse and recruiting multiple NBA picks over 20+ years, then he needs a new agent. I suspect this is not the best HC opportunity Tommy gets and he knows it.

77Zag
03-21-2018, 07:12 AM

I'm so surprised it hasn't been in the press -- I know the dance is dominating the landscape. But he will surely be gone. FBI issue aside, he just can't win in March and this doesn't sit well with the Wildcat nation. Bear Down, literally.

Go Zags - Beat the Noles!!

Coach Crazy
03-21-2018, 07:13 AM

Sean Miller may be in a prison cell, at some point.

bartruff1
03-21-2018, 07:40 AM
The school looked into it and let the players play and the coaches coach...so....IMHO there is nothing in these rumors...Miller isn't going anywhere, much less to jail...

raise the zag
03-21-2018, 07:46 AM
I'm so surprised it hasn't been in the press -- I know the dance is dominating the landscape. But he will surely be gone. FBI issue aside, he just can't win in March and this doesn't sit well with the Wildcat nation. Bear Down, literally.

I understand the FBI issue, yet him not winning in March is over-blown.

Hey, I think Coach Sweat Miller is a below average in-game Coach -- heck, he's admitted as much. Saying his innate stubbornness will not allow him to abandon his game-plan if its not working. Most of the time it does, yet occasionally you have to improvise and admit things aren't working, which he simply will not.

As for March, yes, he's never made a Final 4, yet as a 49 yr old HC he's been to:

-- (4) Elite 8's
-- (7) appearances in Sweet 16
-- made the NCAA Tourney (11) times

4 of the 11 appearances he's been to Elite 8, 7 of 11 has made the S16.

Those are good odds at the highest level.

Final 4 "monkey on the back", yet he's delivered as a Head Coach.

Now...who knows what will transpire with these investigations, but he's done pretty darn well.

The Final 4 is often a crapshoot - a bounce here, an upset there, one player getting hot, etc.

raise the zag
03-21-2018, 07:48 AM
The school looked into it and let the players play and the coaches coach...so....IMHO there is nothing in these rumors...Miller isn't going anywhere, much less to jail...

He might not be going to jail, yet he is VERY interested in Pitt. Doesn't appears the interest is mutual at this time, and that's been reported by double-digit reputable news outlets.

Sean Miller grew up outside Pittsburgh, a life long fan of Pitt, was the PG for Pitt, was an Asst at Pitt, etc.

Coach Crazy
03-21-2018, 08:18 AM

The school looked into FBI evidence, or was given assurance from the FBI that there was no evidence against him? Something tells me that would have all been made known, if true.

IF the FBI does indeed have the evidence, Sean lying under oath or lying in a court case to clear his name is not going to end well. This isn't a joke investigation like the NCAA. The FBI is going to send a message.

TexasZagFan
03-21-2018, 08:37 AM
The school looked into FBI evidence, or was given assurance from the FBI that there was no evidence against him? Something tells me that would have all been made known, if true.

IF the FBI does indeed have the evidence, Sean lying under oath or lying in a court case to clear his name is not going to end well. This isn't a joke investigation like the NCAA. The FBI is going to send a message.

Color me skeptical, but IMO this is a face saving investigation by the FBI, an effort to regain the trust of Americans. They BETTER produce more than the little bit of smoke we've seen. They've become nothing more than just another big federal bureaucracy.

TexasZagFan
03-21-2018, 08:43 AM
I understand the FBI issue, yet him not winning in March is over-blown.

Hey, I think Coach Sweat Miller is a below average in-game Coach -- heck, he's admitted as much. Saying his innate stubbornness will not allow him to abandon his game-plan if its not working. Most of the time it does, yet occasionally you have to improvise and admit things aren't working, which he simply will not.

As for March, yes, he's never made a Final 4, yet as a 49 yr old HC he's been to:

-- (4) Elite 8's
-- (7) appearances in Sweet 16
-- made the NCAA Tourney (11) times

4 of the 11 appearances he's been to Elite 8, 7 of 11 has made the S16.

Those are good odds at the highest level.

Final 4 "monkey on the back", yet he's delivered as a Head Coach.

Now...who knows what will transpire with these investigations, but he's done pretty darn well.

The Final 4 is often a crapshoot - a bounce here, an upset there, one player getting hot, etc.

Just one trip to the Final Four exorcises all demons for all programs, except the blue bloods. I think back to last year, and all of the memes thrown at us were wiped clean in the second half against Xavier. I must have had more than a couple celebratory beers (tall ones, too!) in those last ten minutes, as the Zags put the clamps on Xavier like a lion on its prey. I was looking into the future: no more UCLA/Ammo, no more can't win the big one, no more "easy" conference (maybe a little), etc.

Zagceo
03-21-2018, 08:43 AM
Color me skeptical, but IMO this is a face saving investigation by the FBI, an effort to regain the trust of Americans. They BETTER produce more than the little bit of smoke we've seen. They've become nothing more than just another big federal bureaucracy.

its a rabbit hole that became a sink hole

TexasZagFan
03-21-2018, 08:44 AM
its a rabbit hole that became a sink hole

I'm getting the feeling a couple of sportswriters are going to lose what little credibility they have left.

bartruff1
03-21-2018, 08:48 AM
I doubt the school had any access to the FBI investigation, nor would the FBI comment on a current investigation....I imagine the school conducted their own investigation and determined that there was no problem.....

Sean probably has as good a record in the NCAA as Tony Bennett.....I didn't look it up....

Bogozags
03-21-2018, 09:16 AM
I don't see Tommy leaving anytime soon...he is enjoying his life and GU is a really big part of that...

I doubt the school had any access to the FBI investigation, nor would the FBI comment on a current investigation....I imagine the school conducted their own investigation and determined that there was no problem.....

Sean probably has as good a record in the NCAA as Tony Bennett.....I didn't look it up....

You are absolutely right, the FBI doesn't comment during an ongoing investigation...as you stated, it was most probably an internal investigation...

primal23
03-21-2018, 10:24 AM
Sean Miller reportedly is in talks regarding the Pitt job.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2765829-sean-miller-pitt-ad-reportedly-discussed-panthers-hc-job-amid-arizona-unrest?share=other

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CDC84
03-21-2018, 10:39 AM

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2765829-sean-miller-pitt-ad-reportedly-discussed-panthers-hc-job-amid-arizona-unrest?share=other

I was told there is a very good chance he will take it. The stress of having lost to three straight double digit seeds and not making the final four has just been too much. Stallings degraded the Pitt job to such a degree to where there is now a fraction of the pressure that the job had last year after Dixon departed. Sean played at Pitt and comes from the area. It reconnects him with his roots. Much better job security.

Unlike other people, I think Miller can coach. Like Mark Few, he's just not a good fit for a blue blood program. He's actually better when he's coaching up less talented players (but players who are still top 100 caliber).

CDC84
03-21-2018, 10:42 AM
Sean Miller may be in a prison cell, at some point.

Distance learning coaching.

Birddog
03-21-2018, 10:45 AM
Maybe Danny Hurley can get the UA job and face off vs his brother 2 times a year.

Zagceo
03-21-2018, 10:46 AM
I was told there is a very good chance he will take it. The stress of having lost to three straight double digit seeds and not making the final four has just been too much. Stallings degraded the Pitt job to such a degree to where there is now a fraction of the pressure that the job had last year after Dixon departed. Sean played at Pitt and comes from the area. It reconnects him with his roots. Much better job security.

Unlike other people, I think Miller can coach. Like Mark Few, he's just not a good fit for a blue blood program. He's actually better when he's coaching up less talented players (but players who are still top 100 caliber).

This sounds the most reasonable.

JPtheBeasta
03-21-2018, 11:14 AM

Go Zags - Beat the Noles!!

To your point, I have friend who is a big UofA fan. He is totally giving Miller the benefit of the doubt for the legal stuff but thinks he is gone based on his job performance (or lack there of) alone.

Coach Crazy
03-21-2018, 11:52 AM
Distance learning coaching.

Hahahaha this wins the message board, for today...

Coach Crazy
03-21-2018, 11:54 AM

Pitt and Zona better hope nothing comes of the FBI investigation. He is going to hurt two programs, if it turns out to be true.

CDC84
03-21-2018, 11:57 AM
Hahahaha this wins the message board, for today...

The gray bars are good for showing players how to construct a tough defense.

Coach Crazy
03-21-2018, 12:01 PM
The gray bars are good for showing players how to construct a tough defense.

Dare I say, lockdown defense? *Badum Psshhh*

CDC84
03-21-2018, 01:36 PM
Arizona's Sean Miller says he is not a candidate for Pitt job

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/news/ncaa-basketball-pitt-coaching-search-sean-miller-heather-lyke-discussions-news/qvt9q1jc91351gf6714f2pu9z

Zagceo
03-21-2018, 01:43 PM
Arizona's Sean Miller says he is not a candidate for Pitt job

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/news/ncaa-basketball-pitt-coaching-search-sean-miller-heather-lyke-discussions-news/qvt9q1jc91351gf6714f2pu9z

FBI has tapes ....says Miller called Pitt was put on hold for 20 minutes and was told the AD was at lunch.

Coach Crazy
03-21-2018, 01:53 PM
FBI has tapes ....says Miller called Pitt was put on hold for 20 minutes and was told the AD was at lunch.

This thread is turning into some epic gold.

bballbeachbum
03-21-2018, 04:35 PM

instead of tapes, maybe hacked emails by, who did that again? it wasn't the FBI.......
;)

Zagceo
03-22-2018, 06:02 AM
Is this a denial or deflection

”I’m 100 percent focused on Gonzaga,” he said. “In this day and age with twitter and blogging, people are making a wild guess so names get attached to things. A lot of times there’s never been any contact.”

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/mar/21/assistant-coach-tommy-lloyd-listed-as-utah-state-c/

Birddog
03-22-2018, 06:19 AM
Is this a denial or deflection

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/mar/21/assistant-coach-tommy-lloyd-listed-as-utah-state-c/

Yes