PDA

View Full Version : Trae Young declares for the draft

RenoZag
03-20-2018, 09:02 AM
To no one's surprise. . .

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22842249/oklahoma-sooners-freshman-guard-trae-young-enter-nba-draft

ESPN draft analyst Jonathan Givony has Young rated as the No. 8 overall pick in ESPN's most recent mock draft.

Young and his family, including his father, Ray, will soon start meeting with prospective agents for representation. Young is expected to start training for the pre-draft process with a trainer in California.

CDC84
03-20-2018, 09:14 AM
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/news/trae-young-nba-draft-pac-12-nba-baseball-model-college-basketball-eligibility-march-madness/1he4ay1u83gl011dyz9nlzbrlc?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

willandi
03-20-2018, 10:13 AM
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/news/trae-young-nba-draft-pac-12-nba-baseball-model-college-basketball-eligibility-march-madness/1he4ay1u83gl011dyz9nlzbrlc?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I disagree with Decourcy's assertions that this shows what is wrong with the baseball model. If Young didn't want to honor the 3 year commitment, he could go play in Europe or Asia. The problem isn't the NCAA, it is the NBA.

I have no problem with athletes leaving to make millions, one and done, two and gone, whatever. I do have a problem with what this teaches about the lack of commitment in many young people. It teaches nothing about honoring ones word.

Coug Tracks
03-20-2018, 01:43 PM
I disagree with Decourcy's assertions that this shows what is wrong with the baseball model. If Young didn't want to honor the 3 year commitment, he could go play in Europe or Asia. The problem isn't the NCAA, it is the NBA.

I have no problem with athletes leaving to make millions, one and done, two and gone, whatever. I do have a problem with what this teaches about the lack of commitment in many young people. It teaches nothing about honoring ones word.Coaches "move on" all the time with Mark Few clearly an outlier. Players transfer and programs push players out. Just as an example the UW currently has 16 players including commitments for next season. Someone is going to move on. "Commitment" is at least a two way street and it's not just on the athlete to "honor ones word".

sonuvazag
03-20-2018, 02:14 PM
Genuinely curious. What commitment in word does a student actually make to a basketball program when signing a letter of intent?

Coug Tracks
03-20-2018, 02:46 PM
Genuinely curious. What commitment in word does a student actually make to a basketball program when signing a letter of intent?The commitment both ways (player and program) is for 1 year.

sonuvazag
03-20-2018, 03:16 PM
The commitment both ways (player and program) is for 1 year.
Thanks. So the one-and-done players are not breaking a written or verbal commitment.
Another thought ... there must be a handful of baseball players who run into the very problem a three-year rule would cause for Trae Young.

CDC84
03-21-2018, 10:31 AM
The commitment both ways (player and program) is for 1 year.

I was going to say that. Trust me, there are many, many, many, many more players who are given their "walking papers" by coaches each season than there are kids who leave for the NBA draft before their eligibility expires. At any time a coach can tell a kid, "we will not be renewing your scholarship." Gonzaga, themselves, has had numerous such players.

Gonzaga had their own Trae Young last year: Zach Collins. He didn't even show up on a 2017 mock list until mid to late February. No one could have possibly expected his early departure from Gonzaga last season before the season began. He was not viewed as a one and doner. And then every season we have expected one and doners like Blake Griffin who return to school for their sophomore season.

I think the general idea of the article is that you just cannot predict when a player will develop into a NBA prospect.

bartruff1
03-21-2018, 11:38 AM
Who is he going to guard ?....those guards in the NBA are freight trains when they drive to the basket....