PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL NCAA TOURNEY GAMES DISCUSSION THREAD - SWEET 16, MARCH 23

CDC84
03-20-2018, 09:16 AM
All times Pacific:

4:07pm - (5) Clemson (1) Kansas, CBS, Midwest Region, Omaha
4:27pm - (5) West Virginia (1) Villanova, TBS, East Region, Boston
6:37pm - (11) Syracuse (2) Duke, CBS, Midwest Region, Omaha
6:57pm - (3) Texas Tech (2) Purdue, TBS, East Region, Boston

gonstu
03-20-2018, 09:32 AM
When the zags lose, I typically check out of the tournament. I hope I am watching these games with interest!

CDC84
03-22-2018, 09:05 AM
Unreal.....despite reports that he was out for the season, there is a possibility that Purdue center Isaac Haas might play:

http://www.zagsblog.com/2018/03/22/purdues-isaac-haas-says-hell-be-game-time-decision-against-texas-tech-matt-painter-says-not-so-fast/

CDC84
03-22-2018, 03:34 PM
More on Haas:

https://twitter.com/GoldandBlackcom/status/976893364305039360

Kong-Kool-Aid
03-22-2018, 04:07 PM
Unreal.....despite reports that he was out for the season, there is a possibility that Purdue center Isaac Haas might play:

http://www.zagsblog.com/2018/03/22/purdues-isaac-haas-says-hell-be-game-time-decision-against-texas-tech-matt-painter-says-not-so-fast/

Hope he looks better than in the warmup, looked painful to shoot.

If he's out there you could play hack-a-haas

CDC84
03-23-2018, 02:14 PM
bump

Zags11
03-23-2018, 03:02 PM
Dudes playing with broken elbow and other dude with tear in groin.

RenoZag
03-23-2018, 05:08 PM
Clemson down 13 points at the half to Kansas, 40 - 27.

Villanova 30, WVA 29, 5:37 1H

OntZags
03-23-2018, 05:12 PM
I'm getting flashbacks to last season watching this Nova-WV game lol. Eerily reminiscent.

Nova's the more talented team but Huggins system is so effective and frustrating.

jazzdelmar
03-23-2018, 05:21 PM
Brunson putting on a point guard clinic.

Birddog
03-23-2018, 05:31 PM
I'm getting flashbacks to last season watching this Nova-WV game lol. Eerily reminiscent.

Nova's the more talented team but Huggins system is so effective and frustrating.

Hillbilly Ball

23dpg
03-23-2018, 06:05 PM
Well, since I pick Nova to win it all, I like their program and their coach and don’t necessarily feel that way about West Virginia, I’d like to congratulate the Mountaineers early on their inevitable victory.

Haven’t been able to watch but how is Brunson putting on a pg clinic? He has 15 points and 1 assist with 15 minutes left in the game.

jazzdelmar
03-23-2018, 06:27 PM
Well, since I pick Nova to win it all, I like their program and their coach and don’t necessarily feel that way about West Virginia, I’d like to congratulate the Mountaineers early on their inevitable victory.

Haven’t been able to watch but how is Brunson putting on a pg clinic? He has 15 points and 1 assist with 15 minutes left in the game.

Huh?

kitzbuel
03-23-2018, 06:34 PM
Whatever Jay Wright told em during their time out a while ago, it worked.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

23dpg
03-23-2018, 06:39 PM
Huh?

Just turned it on.

I was wondering what Brunson was doing outside of the stats. Not a rebuke, honest question.
The first part was just a little reverse jinx.

CDC84
03-23-2018, 07:05 PM
I didn't watch much of the Villanova/WVU game, but when I did, the Mountaineers were full court pressing. I will say this again.....the further you go along in this tournament, the harder it is to win games full court pressing the whole time because the guard play just keeps getting better. Great guards like Villanova has can beat any press. Bob Huggins is doing this, in part, because it is hard to recruit blue chip talent to come to West Virginia as a Big-12 team (big time geographic isolation from the rest of the league), but he would've been better off not pressing at all and just focusing on playing great, half court defense in this game. He didn't always do this pressing thing at West Virginia. Heck, he used a zone to knock off Calipari and UK to get to the final four. He needs more tricks up his sleeve if he wants to get back to the final four.

It's almost the reverse of Tony Bennett @ Virginia, who goes at an extremely slow pace and teaches the pack line defense as if there is no other way to play. The problem is that he didn't have another strong hand to play when UMBC got up 17 and was still destroying his pack line. He needed to press and use his team's physicality to take make up the deficit, but his team just kept playing the same old way....like they didn't know what else to do.

seacatfan
03-23-2018, 07:09 PM
A little bit of normalcy has been restored w/ a pair of #1 seeds advancing to the Elite 8.

cbbfanatic
03-23-2018, 07:34 PM
I didn't watch much of the Villanova/WVU game, but when I did, the Mountaineers were full court pressing. I will say this again.....the further you go along in this tournament, the harder it is to win games full court pressing the whole time because the guard play just keeps getting better. Great guards like Villanova has can beat any press. Bob Huggins is doing this, in part, because it is hard to recruit blue chip talent to come to West Virginia as a Big-12 team (big time geographic isolation from the rest of the league), but he would've been better off not pressing at all and just focusing on playing great, half court defense in this game. He didn't always do this pressing thing at West Virginia. Heck, he used a zone to knock off Calipari and UK to get to the final four. He needs more tricks up his sleeve if he wants to get back to the final four.

It's almost the reverse of Tony Bennett @ Virginia, who goes at an extremely slow pace and teaches the pack line defense as if there is no other way to play. The problem is that he didn't have another strong hand to play when UMBC got up 17 and was still destroying his pack line. He needed to press and use his team's physicality to take make up the deficit, but his team just kept playing the same old way....like they didn't know what else to do.

While I generally agree, wvu's press worked tonight for 30+ minutes, then they took a backbreaking flurry of 3s with a few good stops in between. For most/much of that game, their press looked to be winning the war

Unfortunately for them, vu can effectively end a game with 3-4 minutes if getting hot, which they often do.

CDC84
03-23-2018, 07:44 PM
Kind of interesting that Grayson Allen is a "psychology" major.

Birddog
03-23-2018, 07:48 PM
Kind of interesting that Grayson Allen is a "psychology" major.

Not really, half the psych majors I knew in college were messed up! NTTIAWWT