PDA

View Full Version : How Realistic Would it Be to found a new conference and who would the members be?

former1dog
03-20-2018, 07:49 AM
As the subject says, who would be the members of a new basketball centric western oriented basketball conference?

I have no ideas of the economics or appetite for a new conference. There are some pretty smart folks here, so I'll leave that to them.

Who would be the members? I'll take a crack.

Gonzaga
BYU
St. Mary's
Creighton
TCU
Grand Canyon
Wichita State
New Mexico State

I'm sure others will be other to come up with a better list as well, but that was my crack at it.

If this were to be proposed, I'm certain that the schools involved from my list would be enough to attract a very good tv contract.

Zagger
03-20-2018, 08:08 AM
Seems like anything is realistic these days .....

All things considered I’d rather see the WCC steadily improve due to concerted efforts by all member schools and in all sports. Change doesn’t always yield expected/desired results.

Birddog
03-20-2018, 08:18 AM
TCU isn't going anywhere, football rules. I would say for practical reason a 2 time zone conference is max so that leaves out Wichita St and Creighton. Keeping it in the Rockies and West would be advisable. Also consider TV markets. I think GCU is the most likely school to add to the current WCC. There are just so many reasons outside of BB that the WCC is the best fit. A super Conference using the MWC as a base has been bandied about a great deal but I remind everyone that the current MWC had it's beginnings when the WAC tried to span the globe and imploded with the insurrection of, and the founding of MWC schools. A mix of of football schools and BB schools is problematic IMO so that leaves out NMSU which is better suited for the MWC.

kitzbuel
03-20-2018, 08:23 AM
Seems like anything is realistic these days .....

All things considered I’d rather see the WCC steadily improve due to concerted efforts by all member schools and in all sports. Change doesn’t always yield expected/desired results.

While past performance may not be indicative of future results, it is most certainly not encouraging either.

Zagger
03-20-2018, 10:26 AM
While past performance may not be indicative of future results, it is most certainly not encouraging either.

Good point.

mgadfly
03-20-2018, 10:52 AM
Once the Football Schools + Big East create Super Division 1, that will leave GU as the best team in a new Power-5 WCC conference of Division 1-AA (or whatever it will be called). I see multiple national championships once that happens.

ZAG 4 LIFE
03-20-2018, 11:12 AM
GONZAGA
SEATTLE U

MARQUETTE
SAINT LOUIS

LOYOLA-CHICAGO
DEPAUL

USF
SAINT MARY'S

BYU
CREIGHTON

I listed these in pairs because they would be pretty decent travel partners

home & home games = 18 games... plenty of room for tournaments and good OOC games
to raise profile.

Only one football school in the bunch, and all are faith based.
This would be a pretty darned good league... especially if Seattle
can improve their facility.

This league includes the SF Bay Area market, Chicago, Seattle, Omaha, Milwaukee, etc.

Now this new league needs a name.

bartruff1
03-20-2018, 11:27 AM
no way

gueastcoast
03-20-2018, 11:40 AM
GONZAGA
SEATTLE U

MARQUETTE
SAINT LOUIS

LOYOLA-CHICAGO
DEPAUL

USF
SAINT MARY'S

BYU
CREIGHTON

I listed these in pairs because they would be pretty decent travel partners

home & home games = 18 games... plenty of room for tournaments and good OOC games
to raise profile.

Only one football school in the bunch, and all are faith based.
This would be a pretty darned good league... especially if Seattle
can improve their facility.

This league includes the SF Bay Area market, Chicago, Seattle, Omaha, Milwaukee, etc.

Now this new league needs a name.

I'm intrigued by this configuration, with some tweaks (I'd drop Seattle U and BYU, the former isn't up to snuff and the latter wants a football conference). Eight-team league or add two of our WCC friends if they can get serious (say USD and Pacific, or pick the two least bad additionals).

Always thought the WCC, if it got its act together, could be a west coast version of the Atlantic 10. Clearly we've never gotten there, but what you've got here looks like a three/four bid league to me, not to mention there is a lot to be said for a conference with a) shared missions and b) all private institutions. Just my opinion.

bdmiller7
03-20-2018, 12:07 PM
Creighton, Marquette, and DePaul aren't leaving the Big East, especially not to start a league with Seattle, Loyola-Chicago, and USF.

NWRebel
03-20-2018, 12:16 PM
Just curious. So, if you jump into a new conference just for basketball what becomes of your other sports teams? Will they be allowed to stay in the WCC? Also, if the new conference takes in all the other sports will you have the right mix of sports teams? For example, if you want to have an automatic bid in the new conference in men's soccer, you have to have a minimum number of teams of that sport to get that automatic bid. The PAC-12 had to take in San Diego State for men's soccer because they only had 5 teams. UNLV left it's men's soccer in the WAC along with Air Force and San Jose State because the MWC doesn't support that sport because there weren't enough teams.

maynard g krebs
03-20-2018, 12:24 PM
1) Why would Creighton leave the Big East?

2) SMC is on a run created by a brilliant coach and his Aussie pipeline. LMU, Pepp, USF, Santa Clara have all had runs in the past. SMC has nothing in place to suggest they'll sustain when Bennett leaves. They'll never get bandwagon support in the bay area or the infrastructure that they'd need to compete in a higher level conference long term is my guess. And I've never bashed them like a lot of people here; I admire their program and love to watch them play, which I do almost every time they're on tv.

PCZ_Frites
03-20-2018, 12:34 PM
Creighton, Marquette, and DePaul aren't leaving the Big East, especially not to start a league with Seattle, Loyola-Chicago, and USF.

Agreed on that. I think the best case scenario is that the Big East expands from 10 to 16 teams, and divide it into Eastern and Western divisions. If that were to happen, they'd need to add six teams that are Central time zone or west of that, and lump Creighton, Butler, and/or Marquette into that Western division. The obvious choices would be Gonzaga and BYU. I don't necessarily include SMC in this because I think the day Randy Bennett retires is the day they return to a WCC bottom feeder. They have a minor endowment, no national brand despite being somewhat successful in basketball over the last ten years, and their facilities are on par with Gonzaga Prep. They got lucky and hired a pretty good coach, and that's kept them WCC relevant. Of course, over the next ten years they should stay that level of relevance, and thinking of this in ten year increments would mean leave them in too.

Beyond that, who has the endowment and resources to invest in athletics, some history, the strongest academics, and the facilities? Within the WCC, I think this narrows it down to USD, SCU, and USF (though facilities could use some work, which apparently they are doing). Outside the WCC, Grand Canyon and Wichita State come to mind. In terms of a higher ceiling, these are the schools, in my opinion, with the highest amount of potential. Not to mention the t.v. markets and all that.

Big East
(Eastern Division)
Xaiver
Nova
Seton Hall
Providence
Georgetown
DePaul
St. John's
Marquette

(Western Division)
Gonzaga
Creighton
BYU
Wichita State
Grand Canyon
SMC
USD
SCU

PCZ_Frites
03-20-2018, 01:05 PM

2) SMC is on a run created by a brilliant coach and his Aussie pipeline. LMU, Pepp, USF, Santa Clara have all had runs in the past. SMC has nothing in place to suggest they'll sustain when Bennett leaves. They'll never get bandwagon support in the bay area or the infrastructure that they'd need to compete in a higher level conference long term is my guess. And I've never bashed them like a lot of people here; I admire their program and love to watch them play, which I do almost every time they're on tv.

I missed this before posting my previous message, but I had made a similar point on #2. Apologies for having basically copied everything you said :)

Continuity depends on resources, facilities, and some other things that I don't think SMC has without Bennett. The year prior to Bennett's first year I think they won just once or twice the entire year. I had a friend who went to SMC, and said an intramural team defeated their basketball team in a pickup game in 2002. That said, I do agree that so long as Bennett is there, they'll overachieve.

maynard g krebs
03-20-2018, 01:09 PM
I missed this before posting my previous message, but I had made a similar point on #2. Apologies for having basically copied everything you said :)

Continuity depends on resources, facilities, and some other things that I don't think SMC has without Bennett. The year prior to Bennett's first year I think they won just once or twice the entire year. I had a friend who went to SMC, and said an intramural team defeated their basketball team in a pickup game in 2002. That said, I do agree that so long as Bennett is there, they'll overachieve.

No problem. It's nice to be validated:)

Hoopaholic
03-20-2018, 05:36 PM

Bennett signed a 10 year extension on his contract

kdaleb
03-20-2018, 09:36 PM
Big East
(Eastern Division)
Xavier
Nova
Seton Hall
Providence
Georgetown
DePaul
St. John's
Marquette

(Western Division)
Gonzaga
Creighton
BYU
Wichita State
Grand Canyon
SMC
USD
SCU

This would be amazing. Fun to think about if a pipe dream. You forgot Butler. Iíd also drop SMC. They donít have the money to play non-conference games - no way theyíre upping their facilities enough to join something like this.

The biggest problem I see is what would this add for the current Big East schools. They already get over half the league into the tournament. They already get plenty of competitive conference games. How much more money would adding these western markets really add to a potential tv deal? I donít see the upside for them. But Iíll keep dreaming.

ZigZagger
03-21-2018, 09:59 AM
Do new conferences get automatic bids right away? Or do they have to wait a few years. It seems that I recall something like that. And I mean conferences created from nothing - not a reconfigured, or renamed conference.

maynard g krebs
03-21-2018, 11:55 AM
Bennett signed a 10 year extension on his contract

Yes, I heard. I guess in the current climate, conference affiliation will change again in 10 yrs anyway. You changed my mind; I'm in on SMC as a partner in whatever new conference the Zags move to.