PDA

View Full Version : House money

gueastcoast
03-19-2018, 01:56 PM
As I reflect on where we are, and the panic mode many (most?) of us were in after the St. Mary's loss, it feels great to be S16 bound with a favorable path forward. Not bad, eh?

It's the cool of the night so to speak, relax and enjoy. And most of all, be thankful for the journey and all this team has given us. GO ZAGS!!!

77Zag
03-19-2018, 02:15 PM
"Don't mess with happiness"

Go Zags - Beat the Noles!

Zagger
03-19-2018, 04:47 PM
Right on! Gravy time :)

ZagsObserver
03-19-2018, 05:07 PM
I think many, including myself, would have been thrilled with a S16 birth at about the midway point in the season. The fact that we are playing Florida State and then perhaps Michigan makes my mouth water. I don’t know whether we will win one or both, but we are capable.

CaliZag07
03-19-2018, 05:56 PM
Funny to think how many pegged this as a "down" year for Gonzaga hoops early on. If memory serves me right, there was even the thought that GU would miss the tournament all together. Not only have we made it to our 4th straight 2nd weekend, we have a legitimate shot at consecutive final fours.

Being an "expert" doesn't hold much weight come Madness time.

TexasZagFan
03-19-2018, 10:37 PM
Funny to think how many pegged this as a "down" year for Gonzaga hoops early on. If memory serves me right, there was even the thought that GU would miss the tournament all together. Not only have we made it to our 4th straight 2nd weekend, we have a legitimate shot at consecutive final fours.

Being an "expert" doesn't hold much weight come Madness time.

The "experts" chose SMC to win the WCC, too.

webspinnre
03-20-2018, 12:05 AM
Yep, I'm thrilled with a Sweet 16 berth and a decent potential path to another final 4 berth. Life is good.

Goshzagit
03-20-2018, 08:55 AM
Yep, I'm thrilled with a Sweet 16 berth and a decent potential path to another final 4 berth. Life is good.

+1

Said from October, it would a huge success, an astounding accomplishment if the Zags made the S16.

At the time, I felt that the 2nd weekend was their ceiling; now, anything is possible.

ZagMan in Philly
03-20-2018, 09:25 AM
House $$$ = 0 Pressure = 2nd Final 4 = 1st Championship = ����������

DixieZag
03-20-2018, 09:38 AM

I think our guys have always expected to go to the Final Four. This group's cockiness is both its anchor and its lifeblood, and so far it is serving them well. Apparently when Perk hit that shot against Gboro he turned to Few and gave him a "We got this" look, and I suspect something similar happened as they came back against Ohio State.

We have had teams with more talent (last year, for one), but for sheer moxy, this team has few rivals. And we're learning that this quality helps when they suddenly find themselves down 5 after having led all game, or in a dog fight with a 13 seed.

I still think we haven't seen them put together a "complete" game, full team, everyone playing well. I would like to think that the FSU game is the one, they will have had the rest, the preparation that Few excels at so well, and FSU is the "type" of team that we've always just blown away when given time to prepare for. Though, this one is awfully deep and big.

If we're hitting our 3s, I think Jazz may be right, Zags could win by 20. If we're not hitting our 3s, it'll go down to the wire, and I think we'll still win, bc that's what this group does now, and THEY believe they're going to the Final Four, always have.

gueastcoast
03-20-2018, 10:19 AM

Yes!! + infinity ~

bartruff1
03-20-2018, 11:49 AM
It might be my imagination...but in the past...many Gonzaga teams looked tight......now Few looks much more relaxed and IMHO the kids are playing to win as opposed to occasionally playing not to lose.....like " Thursday's Child " they might have far to go.....

maynard g krebs
03-20-2018, 12:50 PM
Not surprised, though the tourney is a crapshoot and the Zags could have easily lost either of the first two, which is usually the case if you're not a top 2-3 seed.

The reason I'm not surprised goes back to my post in Dixie's bold predictions thread, when I said SMC would miss Rahon more than the Zags would miss NWG. This year's oft-maligned pg has set the newbies up to flourish, which they have.

BayAreaZagFan
03-20-2018, 01:30 PM
I was thinking the same thing after Saturday night's game. It wasn't all that long ago that most people were saying Gonzaga needed to win the WCC tournament just to ensure a berth in the NCAA tournament. I didn't believe it then, and it's obvious what a travesty it would have been if that really was the case.

Last year at this time, people were saying that the Zags had the easiest path to the Final Four. Now, I'm also hearing that again. I never really understood that argument. If the top seeds in your region are getting knocked off, should they really have been seeded that high to begin with? And if you still think they should have, why point to a lower-seeded team as the reason the top seeds are no longer playing, but, at the same time, assume that Gonzaga couldn't have beaten them if they had played because they're a lower seed?

Frustrating. But, who cares? We're in our FOURTH STRAIGHT Sweet Sixteen!

Zagceo
03-20-2018, 01:45 PM
When people call tourney crapshoot... kinda tarnishes 4 straight Sweet Sixteens

OldGoatZagFan
03-20-2018, 05:33 PM
Last year's final four, Oregon and South Carolina didn't make the tournament, and UNC is gone. Only Gonzaga remains.

Any know how many of last years Sweet 16, made it to this years S16?

23dpg
03-20-2018, 06:32 PM
Last year's final four, Oregon and South Carolina didn't make the tournament, and UNC is gone. Only Gonzaga remains.

Any know how many of last years Sweet 16, made it to this years S16?

Gonzaga, Michigan, WV, Kansas, Purdue and Kentucky

maynard g krebs
03-20-2018, 10:07 PM
When people call tourney crapshoot... kinda tarnishes 4 straight Sweet Sixteens

Had this conversation so many times. It doesn't diminish the accomplishment; if anything it accentuates it imo. Crapshoot simply means that the better team can lose in any given game, esp w/ the easy 3 pt shot in cbb. To consistently win in that scenario means you're doing something right.

Any given day, a UMBC can beat a UVa if they get hot in a 1 game scenario. That's all it means.