PDA

View Full Version : Basketball - Academics - Life - Perspective - U.M.B.C.

75Zag
03-18-2018, 07:25 AM
When UMBC won their game my first thought was that their school would likely benefit from athletic interest, donors, new buildings, more student applications, etc. After reading the article, it appears that they are already very successful in academics and their intercollegiate chess team is a six-time national champion. If you have a few minutes and can read the link below, I heartily recommend you do so. There are some great quotes, including the following:

In an interview from Charlotte, where he attended Friday’s game and is sticking around for Sunday’s versus Kansas State, Freeman A. Hrabowski III, the university’s president since 1992, was candid when asked about his basketball fandom.

“I’m a mathematician,” he said. “I am a fan of my students.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/17/sports/ncaabasketball/umbc-basketball.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollectio n%2Fsports&action=click&contentCollection=sports&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=2&pgtype=sectionfront

Go Bulldogs!

bballbeachbum
03-18-2018, 07:53 AM
thanks for the recommendation 75! very cool

sittingon50
03-18-2018, 10:56 AM
Thanks 75. Impressive.

Zags_Fanatic
03-18-2018, 11:08 AM
And in a lovely twist of irony, the University of Virginia upset UMBC in the regional cybersecurity competition by 1 point yesterday. UMBC were the favorites and returning champions.

RenoZag
03-18-2018, 12:01 PM
So UVA had better hackers ?

Mantua
03-18-2018, 12:38 PM
So UVA had better hackers ?

Remember the Arms Race?

It’s now a Cyber Race.