PDA

View Full Version : UMBC Hero - Jairus Myles

LTownZag
03-16-2018, 07:37 PM
Back in February, the sports section of the Washington Post ran a great article (https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/given-a-shot-at-big-time-college-basketball-he-chose-a-bigger-legacy-at-a-mid-major/2018/02/16/5573cde0-1363-11e8-9065-e55346f6de81_story.html?utm_term=.f9059a563222) on Myles, hero of the UMBC upset.

https://img.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_1484w/2010-2019/WashingtonPost/2017/12/30/Sports/Images/JN2_5080a.jpg?uuid=5CTHru0EEeeVbrrqNY-XJQ

Given a shot at big-time college basketball, he chose a bigger legacy at a mid-major

CATONSVILLE, Md. — Ryan Odom was nervous that morning last spring when Jairus Lyles and his mom, Carol Motley, came to see him in his office that overlooks the court at old RAC Arena at the University of Maryland-Baltimore County.
Odom had just finished his first season at UMBC. One year after finishing dead last in the America East Conference with an overall record of 7-25, the Retrievers had gone 21-13, finished fifth in the league with a 9-7 record and reached the semifinals of the CollegeInsider.com tournament.
For a program that had won a total of 41 games in the previous seven seasons, that represented massive progress. Lyles had been the linchpin, averaging nearly 19 points and 6.6 rebounds a game in addition to becoming a force on defense.
Now, Odom thought he might be losing him. “I had talked to Jairus and his mom about it late in the season,” he said Friday, sipping a cup of coffee in the UMBC student union. “I told them I wanted what was best for Jairus.” He smiled. “I also told them the reasons why staying here couldn’t possibly be a bad decision for him.”

Like many players who sit out a season, Lyles was a fourth-year player who was graduating with a year of eligibility left. That meant he could transfer as a graduate student and play right away. A number of big-time schools had let him know — not directly, of course, since that’s against the rules — that they’d be glad to have him.

Lyles graduated from DeMatha High in 2013, played — or more accurately, barely played — at VCU for a year, then transferred briefly to Robert Morris before finding a home close to home in January 2015. Now, two months away from a degree in psychology and sociology, the chance to chase the bright lights in a power conference was there if he wanted it.

“I never really wanted it though,” he said Friday. “I can’t say I didn’t think about it. But the job here wasn’t finished. I couldn’t imagine leaving my teammates and, to be honest, I thought about legacy. I feel like I’m going to leave here having made a mark. I couldn’t have done that someplace else in one season. I felt like if I left, I’d be letting people down. I wasn’t going to do that.”

kitzbuel
03-16-2018, 07:44 PM
He has a legacy now

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

billyberu
03-16-2018, 07:50 PM
God I love March madness.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

75Zag
03-16-2018, 08:10 PM
My dog has asked me to point out that the name of the team to pull off the first 16 over 1 upset is the Retrievers. He thinks their full name is the Chesapeake Bay Retrievers, which makes him even prouder.

Woof!

Go Bulldogs!

SWZag
03-16-2018, 09:57 PM
Sounds like a fine young man! Great job with his studies, also!!

caduceus
03-16-2018, 10:30 PM
Both his parents are UVa alums. Crazy.

ZagMan in Philly
03-17-2018, 03:22 AM
It was fun watching him took down Goliath.

jim77
03-17-2018, 03:55 AM
You cant guard what you cant catch. UVA should have packed it in and played zone....Instead of chasing them .Buffalo and UMBC in the sweet 16?...LOVE IT.

Lyles was REDONKULOUS!

GoZags
03-17-2018, 05:09 AM
My dog has asked me to point out that the name of the team to pull off the first 16 over 1 upset is the Retrievers. He thinks their full name is the Chesapeake Bay Retrievers, which makes him even prouder.

Woof!

Go Bulldogs!

Awesome ..... it's the "Year of the Dog"

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-17-2018, 06:16 AM
You cant guard what you cant catch. UVA should have packed it in and played zone....Instead of chasing them .Buffalo and UMBC in the sweet 16?...LOVE IT.

Lyles was REDONKULOUS!

One of my best friends is a Buffalo grad. His wife went to UMBC. They’re loving it even more than the rest of us.

rennis
03-17-2018, 06:40 AM
That was the most fun I've had watching a game that didn't involve GU in a very long time. History!!

Zagceo
03-17-2018, 08:02 AM
That was the most fun I've had watching a game that didn't involve GU in a very long time. History!!

The year of the DOG!

thespywhozaggedme
03-17-2018, 09:02 AM

Lyles was REDONKULOUS!

Round of 32, but yes, SS is possible, though highly improbable, for both.

thespywhozaggedme
03-17-2018, 09:03 AM
One of my best friends is a Buffalo grad. His wife went to UMBC. They’re loving it even more than the rest of us.

I wonder what they'll name their Christmas baby?

Mr Vulture
03-17-2018, 09:07 AM
UMBC has a good shot playing Kansas State. It will be harder for Buffalo versus the talent of Kentucky but team sometimes outweighs individual talent.