PDA

View Full Version : quadrant sysem

avid-zag-fan
03-16-2018, 09:17 AM
I really like this new quadrant system for seeding. 15 of the 16 KenPom "sweet 16" teams are in separate brackets to reach the sweet 16 round. Unfortunately the zags are in the only bracket playing OSU which should have been a 4 seed. Arizona was way over seeded, but that was probably a political concession for the Pac12. They really messed around with the 2nd quadrant, but only SMC cares about that and that was their own fault.

maynard g krebs
03-16-2018, 12:44 PM
I really like this new quadrant system for seeding. 15 of the 16 KenPom "sweet 16" teams are in separate brackets to reach the sweet 16 round. Unfortunately the zags are in the only bracket playing OSU which should have been a 4 seed. Arizona was way over seeded, but that was probably a political concession for the Pac12. They really messed around with the 2nd quadrant, but only SMC cares about that and that was their own fault.

Disagree completely. The quad system is based on the rpi, so it is just a rehash of the way they are setting things up for the power conferences. Now, if they'd base the quad syst on kenpom/sagarin/bpi etc rankings, different story.

Zagnailler
03-16-2018, 01:03 PM
And I reiterate, RPI stands for Revenue Protection Instrument for the football conferences.

Kemo 1966
03-16-2018, 06:37 PM
And I reiterate, RPI stands for Revenue Protection Instrument for the football conferences.

AND I REITERATE, THIS NEW SCHEME allows THE MAGNOLIA GARDEN CLUB (re:NCAA Committee) to protect and funnel the needed cash to its FLOWER CHILDREN, all the 8-11 teams in their conference standings... Take Middle Tennessee, 24-7, won its conference Conf USA....its NCSOS YOU ASKED: 13 that is THIRTEEN!!!!!

TWO ACC SCHOOLS GOT IN WITH 343 AND 331...... OR putting it another way, they only had BETTER NCSOS than 8 Div 1 teams, and 20 div 1 teams.... SO DON'T GIVE 'me' SMC could have scheduled better.............. Did GU have an NCSOS of 13?????????
Syracuse was tied for 11th in the big east, with an NCSOS of 173....... how is that better than MIDDLE TENNESSE????

ONLY ONE WORD FOR THE "tight knit" MAGNOLIA GARDEN CLUB............ PATHETIC!

gu03alum
03-16-2018, 06:38 PM
F the Quadrant system

webspinnre
03-16-2018, 09:58 PM
A quadrant system using proper analytics would be great. A quadrant system using the RPI is garbage trying to pretend that it isn't garbage.

caduceus
03-16-2018, 10:44 PM
But why even have quadrants? They're totally arbitrary cutoffs, if anything. No different than "top-50" blah, blah. Simply order at-large teams by a compilation of validated metrics. The current system overwhelmingly favors power conference teams, instead of the "best" teams. The upsets in this tournament have primarily been by double-digit seeds, not middling P5 conference teams, which adds credence to the argument for more good mid-majors instead of mediocre high-majors. I care less about upsets per se than I do having good, highly competitive teams go head-to-head. Just because you play in a "tough conference" shouldn't mean you get to walk into the bracket with a losing conference record. There should be fewer 8 bid leagues at one end, and more two or three bid leagues at the other.

avid-zag-fan
03-17-2018, 06:58 AM
the system is not based on RPI. Last year there were 5 games where sweet 16 teams met in the round of 32 including Kansas vs Wichita state (both KenPom top 10). It's not totally analytics but a lot apparently. there is a lot of shuffling within the group though. outside of the top teams I think CBS wants teams that draw viewers. smc #25 wouldn't get as many viewers as #50 Syracuse even though it's probably a better team.

Kemo 1966
03-17-2018, 09:18 AM
the system is not based on RPI. Last year there were 5 games where sweet 16 teams met in the round of 32 including Kansas vs Wichita state (both KenPom top 10). It's not totally analytics but a lot apparently. there is a lot of shuffling within the group though. outside of the top teams I think CBS wants teams that draw viewers. smc #25 wouldn't get as many viewers as #50 Syracuse even though it's probably a better team.

THAT'S WHAT'S WRONG, IT BECOMES POLITICAL AND ITS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY!!!! Not to mention the EAST COAST BIAS!!!!

It will be the ruin of 'collegiate basketball as we know it......." so we might as well call a spade a spade: the PCAA.... PROFESSIONAL COLLEGE ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION (of course, they would have to bring the cash payments and such, ABOVE BOARD)!!!!

caduceus
03-17-2018, 12:09 PM
the system is not based on RPI.

Please explain how teams are ranked into quadrant wins/losses then. Nevermind, I'll tell you. It's R...P...I.

The RPI has gone from a small piece of a team's resume ("It's just one of many tools, a small part when seeding teams," they used to say) to now being the primary driver of seeding. It's very bad for the tournament and absolutely favors power conferences over mid-majors. As George Carlin used to say, "It's a big club, and you ain't in it."