PDA

View Full Version : Drew Timme

doctorzag
03-12-2018, 06:30 PM
Drew will be on an official visit to Purdue tomorrow.

cggonzaga
03-12-2018, 06:34 PM

What about Drew Timme? He visiting anybody soon?

willandi
03-12-2018, 06:36 PM
Easy flight to Boise!

raise the zag
03-12-2018, 06:48 PM
Perfect fit for him.

Of his list of offers and schools, Purdue and us are the best fit of style/use/history.

Boilermakers a "hot" program/team right now. Pun intended. Been Top-10 type team last 2 years too.

Although, Tournament success hasn't followed. They went to S16 last season, yet haven't been past 1st Rd previously in over a decade.

Our Tournament success still vastly UNDERrated. Final 4 last yr, Sweet 16 yr before, Elite 8 yr before that, 8 Sweet 16's since 2000, etc.

thespywhozaggedme
03-12-2018, 07:26 PM

crap!

thespywhozaggedme
03-12-2018, 07:27 PM
Has he visited Gonzaga yet?

thespywhozaggedme
03-12-2018, 07:27 PM

Wait, I thought you couldn't take an "official" visit until your senior year, no?

TexasZagFan
03-12-2018, 07:59 PM
Wait, I thought you couldn't take an "official" visit until your senior year, no?

He’s on his spring break.

thespywhozaggedme
03-12-2018, 08:04 PM
He’s on his spring break.

But wouldnt that still be an unofficial visit because hes still a junior? Or can it be an official visit because the season is over?

TexasZagFan
03-12-2018, 08:07 PM
But wouldnt that still be an unofficial visit because hes still a junior? Or can it be an official visit because the season is over?

Don’t know, I’m sure more knowledgeable people will chime in.

Birddog
03-13-2018, 04:18 AM
Don’t know, I’m sure more knowledgeable people will chime in.

Ya think?

thespywhozaggedme
03-13-2018, 06:00 AM

Are we sure this is legit? I mean the more I think about it, the more far fetched it seems. What team is going to host a recruit a few days before their march madness tourney game? We wouldn't host a recruit now, 100% focus on the tourney. This seems a bit fishy to me.

willandi
03-13-2018, 06:05 AM
It is under 350 miles from Purdue University to Detroit.

Maybe Drew will ride the bus and see how fun it is to be 7'+ and take the bus!

Coach Crazy
03-13-2018, 06:13 AM
Are we sure this is legit? I mean the more I think about it, the more far fetched it seems. What team is going to host a recruit a few days before their march madness tourney game? We wouldn't host a recruit now, 100% focus on the tourney. This seems a bit fishy to me.

Yeah, seems weird. Unless they think it is some sort of weird power play? I don't know.

Zagceo
03-13-2018, 06:21 AM

when Harris visited Gonzaga ...unofficially..was staff able to give him a tour? maybe something like that

thespywhozaggedme
03-13-2018, 07:09 AM
when Harris visited Gonzaga ...unofficially..was staff able to give him a tour? maybe something like that

But three days before your first round game? I've gotta think that the staff is 100% focused on the game, not some high school junior wanting to check out the facilities. I checked Purdues most active board and there is zero mention of Timme visiting.

CDC84
03-13-2018, 08:29 AM
I can see why Coach Painter is recruiting him. For one Purdue is one of the few teams in the nation who utilizes big men. Also, Timme just looks like a prototypical Boilermaker big man in videos.

Zagineer
03-13-2018, 09:03 AM

http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/future/recruiting

At the web site above, click on the link, "View the Division I recruiting guide".

Division I Men's Basketball: Official Visit: January 1 of Junior Year.

Division I Women's Basketball: Official Visit: No earlier than the Thursday following the NCAA Division I Women's Basketball Championship game of the PSA's junior year in high school.

Other sports have different rules. The web site above also has a link to a Division II recruiting guide and a link to the NCAA 2017-2018 Recruiting Calendar.

doctorzag
03-13-2018, 10:06 AM

Its legit. Go to Drews profile at 247. It has his twitter feed where he confirms this info.

thespywhozaggedme
03-13-2018, 11:08 AM
Its legit. Go to Drews profile at 247. It has his twitter feed where he confirms this info.

Wow, that just seems insane for the team to be hosting a recruit three days before your tournament begins. All of your focus should be on the games at hand not trying to convince a high school junior to come play for you. Thank you for posting that by the way

thespywhozaggedme
03-13-2018, 11:09 AM
http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/future/recruiting

At the web site above, click on the link, "View the Division I recruiting guide".

Division I Men's Basketball: Official Visit: January 1 of Junior Year.

Division I Women's Basketball: Official Visit: No earlier than the Thursday following the NCAA Division I Women's Basketball Championship game of the PSA's junior year in high school.

Other sports have different rules. The web site above also has a link to a Division II recruiting guide and a link to the NCAA 2017-2018 Recruiting Calendar.

Thank you for posting that

raise the zag
03-13-2018, 11:26 AM
They play a Tournament game in 2 days...and they are hosting recruits?

I assume a player host, coaches dinner, meetings, etc.

All focus, effort, energy, attention should be on their upcoming game, right?

No wonder we have been to double the amount of Sweet 16's, triple the Elite 8's, & a Final 4 compared to them since 2000.

Preparation is paramount.

This seems like an unnecessary distraction the more I think of it, yet also tells me Timme is likely very high on Purdue.

Maybe he just wants to watch em work? Very odd timing

thespywhozaggedme
03-13-2018, 11:29 AM
Just as I suspected, it's an unofficial visit, i.e walking around the campus with his parents. That makes a lot more sense, no team is going to host a recruit a few days before the tourney.

Drew Timme unofficially visits Purdue Boilermakers

https://247sports.com/Player/Drew-Timme-45572951

willandi
03-13-2018, 01:01 PM
I can see why Coach Painter is recruiting him. For one Purdue is one of the few teams in the nation who utilizes big men. Also, Timme just looks like a prototypical Boilermaker big man in videos.

It's not like Gonzaga puts bigs into the NBA! Well, aside from Ronny, Austin, Robert, Kelly, Domas, and Zach.

JPtheBeasta
03-13-2018, 01:18 PM
It might be a fantastic time to host a recruit. The excitement, energy and focus with the players is probably at a high level. Students are probably extra supportive and excited. The campus probably has more Purdue basketball stuff in the windows.

I have no idea how much time the staff actually spends with a recruit, but I doubt the head coach is holding his hand and showing him around for 8 hours.

SLOZag
04-04-2018, 12:55 PM
I just checked Rivals to see what's up with Timme. He's currently ranked #54 nationally by Rivals, is holding 14 offers from most big time middle American teams, and Gonzaga's name doesn't appear on the list of schools extending offers.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2019/drew-timme-9785

jazzdelmar
04-04-2018, 12:56 PM
I just checked Rivals to see what's up with Timme. He's currently ranked #54 nationally by Rivals, is holding 14 offers from most big time middle American teams, and Gonzaga's name doesn't appear on the list of schools extending offers.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2019/drew-timme-9785

Why would it?

OntZags
04-04-2018, 02:00 PM
Why would it?

Because it's been widely reported we've offered and have been in on him for a while?

We're listed here as offered. I thought Rivals got subsumed into 247 anyway, didn't know it was still going on?

By no means do I think Gonzaga is the favourite here but they've definitely offered.

TexasZagFan
04-04-2018, 02:05 PM
Because it's been widely reported we've offered and have been in on him for a while?

We're listed here as offered. I thought Rivals got subsumed into 247 anyway, didn't know it was still going on?

By no means do I think Gonzaga is the favourite here but they've definitely offered.

The emergence of TCU troubles me. His parents would be able to see him at every home game. Of course, the allure of playing in Austin is always there.

bdmiller7
04-04-2018, 02:14 PM
Scout and 247 merged.

jazzdelmar
04-04-2018, 02:18 PM
Looks like a classic Austin big man to me. Headband included.

JPtheBeasta
04-04-2018, 03:26 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/bradballislife/status/978435843328237570?s=12

Pretty fluid for a big man.

Bogozags
04-04-2018, 05:18 PM
The emergence of TCU troubles me. His parents would be able to see him at every home game. Of course, the allure of playing in Austin is always there.

Not trying to stir the pot but I would think TCU and UT most probably have the inside track on this youngster...like you said, parents will get to see over 50% of his games in person as opposed to watching him play on TV if he went to GU...

Mr Vulture
04-04-2018, 09:33 PM
I am just not seeing the connection with Timme. It doesnít seem like heís interested much, if at all. He seems like a lock to go Big Ten of Big Twelve to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TexasZagFan
04-05-2018, 04:10 AM
I am just not seeing the connection with Timme. It doesn’t seem like he’s interested much, if at all. He seems like a lock to go Big Ten of Big Twelve to me

Disagree...he's been on campus for a visit, more than some of the other recruits we've been going after. Problem is, he blew up during his junior year, averaging 20+ PPG and 16 RPG. He's worth pursuing, and that's what the coaches continue to do.

Mr Vulture
04-05-2018, 06:49 AM
Disagree...he's been on campus for a visit, more than some of the other recruits we've been going after. Problem is, he blew up during his junior year, averaging 20+ PPG and 16 RPG. He's worth pursuing, and that's what the coaches continue to do.

We will see, I just donít see this one.

EEzag
04-05-2018, 06:56 AM
We will see, I just donít see this one.

We know about 5% of what is going on behind the scenes. We put bigs in the League. Other than Bamba who is a freak of nature, Texas teams haven't been, at least recently. Which is more important? Getting to see your kids play in person more, or developing them to having a legitimate shot at playing basketball for a career. That being said, Smart is an effective recruiter and I wouldn't bet against him.

Does Timme fit the new drive and cut offense we are playing now? I mean, there is always room for a Jon Brockman style player in any system IMHO, but would he want to go to an offense that doesn't fit his strengths?

thespywhozaggedme
04-05-2018, 07:37 AM
We know about 5% of what is going on behind the scenes. We put bigs in the League. Other than Bamba who is a freak of nature, Texas teams haven't been, at least recently. Which is more important? Getting to see your kids play in person more, or developing them to having a legitimate shot at playing basketball for a career. That being said, Smart is an effective recruiter and I wouldn't bet against him.

Does Timme fit the new drive and cut offense we are playing now? I mean, there is always room for a Jon Brockman style player in any system IMHO, but would he want to go to an offense that doesn't fit his strengths?

Myles Turner and Jarret Allen were both first round picks in the past 3 years.

TexasZagFan
04-05-2018, 07:38 AM

Based on the one game I saw, Drew is a perfect fit for the way the Zags play, and he knows it, judging by his comments. He's Tillie with a nonstop motor. He's used to being double & triple teamed, showing an ability to pass out of trouble far superior to that of J3 and Tillie. His 16 rpg shows that he's not afraid of mixing it up inside. Drew is a team player, willingly dishes the ball to an open teammate.

Zagdawg
04-05-2018, 09:52 AM
Jake

Verified account

@jakeweingarten
35s35 seconds ago
More
2019 Drew Timme has told me these are his upcoming in-home visits:

#Purdue & #TCU: This Saturday
#Baylor & #Oklahoma: This Sunday

titopoet
04-05-2018, 09:58 AM

I understand the allure of Austin, but Fort Worth? Dallas' little boring cousin.

Zagdawg
04-05-2018, 10:02 AM
Jake

Verified account

@jakeweingarten
4m4 minutes ago
More Jake Retweeted Jake
In addition, Timme told me Michigan’s head coach John Beilein will watch him workout this Saturday, he doesn’t hold an offer from UM. #Wolverines

JPtheBeasta
04-05-2018, 10:53 AM
Based on the one game I saw, Drew is a perfect fit for the way the Zags play, and he knows it, judging by his comments. He's Tillie with a nonstop motor. He's used to being double & triple teamed, showing an ability to pass out of trouble far superior to that of J3 and Tillie. His 16 rpg shows that he's not afraid of mixing it up inside. Drew is a team player, willingly dishes the ball to an open teammate.

Tex, did you see the twitter video I linked to above? It’s short but I thought you might like it.

realtydog
04-05-2018, 11:10 AM
we've had so many threads over the years on guys we are never in the running for......why?

MDABE80
04-05-2018, 11:15 AM
They might be interested.....it's the offseason.:)

thespywhozaggedme
04-05-2018, 11:26 AM
we've had so many threads over the years on guys we are never in the running for......why?

How many of them took an unofficial to Gonzaga with their parents on their own dime?

realtydog
04-05-2018, 11:26 AM
How many of them took an unofficial to Gonzaga with their parents on their own dime?

yeah ....how many?

Goshzagit
04-05-2018, 11:30 AM

at least Timme has an actual connection to GU; all these transfer, grad transfer, and recruits posts/threads based on pure speculation and personal wish-lists are getting tiring.

We lose good information on many actual prospects among all the noise.

At least have a tweet, or some semblance of a connection, heck, even potential connection before we post, "what about this guy? or this guy?" as if the Coaches are taking note.

realtydog
04-05-2018, 11:32 AM
recruits posts/threads based on pure speculation and personal wish-lists are getting tiring.

bingo

OntZags
04-05-2018, 12:03 PM
bingo

It's the offseason lol. If you don't like it, don't come here. This is what happens this time of year, nobody is twisting your arm to come read posts.

Secondly, how on Earth can you suggest Gonzaga isn't in contention here? Him and his family traveled quite some distance to come all the way to Spokane on an unofficial visit. GU doesn't get a whole lot of those outside of locals.

They probably don't get him - based on odds alone - but that doesn't preclude him from being a very legitimate talking point around here.

ZagsObserver
04-05-2018, 12:05 PM
at least Timme has an actual connection to GU; all these transfer, grad transfer, and recruits posts/threads based on pure speculation and personal wish-lists are getting tiring.

We lose good information on many actual prospects among all the noise.

At least have a tweet, or some semblance of a connection, heck, even potential connection before we post, "what about this guy? or this guy?" as if the Coaches are taking note.

Agreed. Don’t think this applies to Timme, like you state above, but too much nonsensical conjecture out there.

realtydog
04-05-2018, 12:38 PM
It's the offseason lol. If you don't like it, don't come here. This is what happens this time of year, nobody is twisting your arm to come read posts.

Secondly, how on Earth can you suggest Gonzaga isn't in contention here? Him and his family traveled quite some distance to come all the way to Spokane on an unofficial visit. GU doesn't get a whole lot of those outside of locals.

They probably don't get him - based on odds alone - but that doesn't preclude him from being a very legitimate talking point around here.

wow---right to the "If you don't like it, don't come here" line......good one......all I asked was why the interest in guys who will never come here.....is it true boredom? and Gonzaga was not his only stop in the NW and it currently appears extremely unlikely we're even on his board today.....but it's not all Timme ....it's all the "hey SG from Maine is leaving school...we should get him....now let's discuss" -------and this is not only during the off season........oh well.........anyway, go zags

TexasZagFan
04-05-2018, 01:08 PM
I understand the allure of Austin, but Fort Worth? Dallas' little boring cousin.

Got news for you Tito...Fort Worth is 4 times larger than Spokane, and probably 20 times wealthier...plenty of things to do there.

thespywhozaggedme
04-05-2018, 01:08 PM
yeah ....how many?

You're the one who made this claim: guys we are never in the running for

And my question to you is why would guys who we're "not in the running for" fly from Texas to Spokane with his parents on their own dime?

TexasZagFan
04-05-2018, 01:16 PM
Given our history of developing big men, I still like our chances.

The coaches have planted the vision in Drew’s mind that he can be the “next great Gonzaga big man.” That’s saying something.

soccerdud
04-05-2018, 02:47 PM
wow---right to the "If you don't like it, don't come here" line......good one......all I asked was why the interest in guys who will never come here.....is it true boredom? and Gonzaga was not his only stop in the NW and it currently appears extremely unlikely we're even on his board today.....but it's not all Timme ....it's all the "hey SG from Maine is leaving school...we should get him....now let's discuss" -------and this is not only during the off season........oh well.........anyway, go zags

i feel a little dirty, but i agree with spy on this one. i think, objectively, that there's plenty of reason to believe that we have a chance at timme (tho he'll probably end up somewhere else, as most recruits do numbers-wise)-- and therefore this is a good, interesting, and appropriate convo to have and i hope to continue to receive updates on his development and recruiting.

if you're really posting on timme's thread because you're sick of all the other threads/posts where players are brought up without a meaningful link to the school, then i'd just say you probably won't get so much push-back if you pick your spots a little better :)

and go zags.

realtydog
04-05-2018, 03:37 PM

And my question to you is why would guys who we're "not in the running for" fly from Texas to Spokane with his parents on their own dime?

C'mon spy...there have been tons of "Taeshon Cherry" type threads ---so I don't know what you mean by "claim"????? guys we never were in the running for---be honest with yourself at least

Hey---I hope Timme surprises the world and becomes a zag----but the truth is nobody would even put $10 on it happening----and by the way---GU was not the only reason to visit our great PNW for Timme--ask your boys on here with a little more connection and they could verify that for your info(if they were told last fall)

TexasZagFan
04-05-2018, 05:50 PM
C'mon spy...there have been tons of "Taeshon Cherry" type threads ---so I don't know what you mean by "claim"????? guys we never were in the running for---be honest with yourself at least

Hey---I hope Timme surprises the world and becomes a zag----but the truth is nobody would even put $10 on it happening----and by the way---GU was not the only reason to visit our great PNW for Timme--ask your boys on here with a little more connection and they could verify that for your info(if they were told last fall)

Actually, my bet is closer to $20, considering the price of tickets and concessions when we went to see Drew play. lol

thespywhozaggedme
04-05-2018, 07:25 PM
i feel a little dirty, but i agree with spy on this one. i think, objectively, that there's plenty of reason to believe that we have a chance at timme (tho he'll probably end up somewhere else, as most recruits do numbers-wise)-- and therefore this is a good, interesting, and appropriate convo to have and i hope to continue to receive updates on his development and recruiting.

if you're really posting on timme's thread because you're sick of all the other threads/posts where players are brought up without a meaningful link to the school, then i'd just say you probably won't get so much push-back if you pick your spots a little better :)

and go zags.

It wasn't me it was Ontario Zag

TexasZagFan
04-05-2018, 07:45 PM

spy, I think it's huge that his parents visited the campus. One thing that's now a positive is American has five direct flights to Spokane daily...not to mention that the vast majority of Zag games are televised.

thespywhozaggedme
04-05-2018, 07:59 PM
spy, I think it's huge that his parents visited the campus. One thing that's now a positive is American has five direct flights to Spokane daily...not to mention that the vast majority of Zag games are televised.

Five daily nonstop flights from Spokane to to Dallas? Wow, that's crazy.

TexasZagFan
04-05-2018, 08:08 PM
Five daily nonstop flights from Spokane to to Dallas? Wow, that's crazy.

I will probably take advantage of that later on this year.

Coach Crazy
04-05-2018, 08:41 PM

and go zags.

I'm actually with realtydog, on this one. I find little reason to believe that Timme is going to be a player that we have a shot at. Would be nice, but I just haven't seen a compelling argument. Having *taken* a visit, means that a visit was taken. They could vary well have seen other places, and/or not seen what they felt was needed. Or it was far too early in the process to have the impact need, and so on, and so forth. Unless we're somehow in his top schools when the time comes, I think this is one that isn't happening.

Goshzagit
04-06-2018, 06:35 AM
There is 99% of conjecture we should overlook on these boards when it comes to recruits/g-transfers/u-transfers/prospects, yet don't count Timme out.

"on paper" he looks to be headed to TCU, A&M, Oklahoma, Texas, et al, yet I know he's high on Gonzaga. It may just be too far away from home, Spangler style, yet at least he's a big fan. Pun intended.

JPtheBeasta
04-06-2018, 07:08 AM
I prefer the pipe-dreaming about recruits over reading that people who are against conference realignment are disingenuous, naive, shameful, and illogical persons. (Read: please spare the insults and emotive rhetoric to try to make a point). I’d much rather weed through extra info than be insulted regularly.

The recruit stuff also gives me players to pay attention to during the off-season and during play. I will be much more interested to watch Texas to see how Kemaka Hepa does, for example. As another example, Spangler gave me reason to root for Oklahoma.

Zagger
04-06-2018, 08:57 AM
I will probably take advantage of that later on this year.

I've had only one 'nonstop' flight to Dallas from Spokane so far ..... and it stopped in Abilene first (nasty T-storms in Dallas). Ended up missing our connecting flight and got a day behind on a trip to Argentina. Think I'll try a different nonstop route next time.

sittingon50
04-06-2018, 09:51 AM
I prefer the pipe-dreaming about recruits over reading that people who are against conference realignment are disingenuous, naive, shameful, and illogical persons. (Read: please spare the insults and emotive rhetoric to try to make a point). I’d much rather weed through extra info than be insulted regularly.

The recruit stuff also gives me players to pay attention to during the off-season and during play. I will be much more interested to watch Texas to see how Kemaka Hepa does, for example. As another example, Spangler gave me reason to root for Oklahoma.

+1

scrooner
04-06-2018, 10:07 AM
My mouse comes with a scroll wheel. If I don't want to read something, I use it.