PDA

View Full Version : OT: Can a league tournament winner be seeded to “First Four”?

TravelinZag
03-10-2018, 09:10 AM
Mods: feel free to move or cancel. Watching UMBC v. Vermont; if UMBC holds on to win, do they have to be given at least a #16, or can they be relegated to play-in First Four? Thanks.

23dpg
03-10-2018, 09:14 AM
Mods: feel free to move or cancel. Watching UMBC v. Vermont; if UMBC holds on to win, do they have to be given at least a #16, or can they be relegated to play-in First Four? Thanks.

Yes. Half of the 8 teams are 16 seeds. The other half are the lowest ranked at large bids.

TexasZagFan
03-10-2018, 09:28 AM
It can often be a benefit, you get to play a game shortly after winning the conference tournament, you're on a high, the good vibes are still there. I think it gives you a better chance to take down #1 seed, albeit a very...small...chance.

jazzdelmar
03-10-2018, 09:38 AM
It can often be a benefit, you get to play a game shortly after winning the conference tournament, you're on a high, the good vibes are still there. I think it gives you a better chance to take down #1 seed, albeit a very...small...chance.

Shaka did ok.

kitzbuel
03-10-2018, 09:42 AM
Shaka did ok.Not as a 16

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

TravelinZag
03-10-2018, 10:15 AM
Thanks, responders. I was hoping for the rule. If they can do it and I were chair of selection, I would announce, “Don’t have have time for trivial considerations, no discussion merited, they’re seeded 68. Period. And no discussion of an at-large for Vermont. Do recommend a minimum height requirement. Shortness is not a protected class; ask Randy Newman.

KStyles
03-10-2018, 11:37 AM
Thanks, responders. I was hoping for the rule. If they can do it and I were chair of selection, I would announce, “Don’t have have time for trivial considerations, no discussion merited, they’re seeded 68. Period. And no discussion of an at-large for Vermont. Do recommend a minimum height requirement. Shortness is not a protected class; ask Randy Newman.

"The last four at-large teams on the overall seed list, as well as teams seeded 65 through 68,
will be paired to compete in First Four games on Tuesday and Wednesday following the
announcement of the field. The winners of the First Four games will advance to a first- and secondround
site to be determined by the committee during selection weekend."

https://www.ncaa.com/content/di-principles-and-procedures-selection

Any automatic qualifier (currently all conferences award their auto-bid to the counference tourney winner) can be relegated to the first four if they are seeded as the 65th-68th team in the tourney.

willandi
03-10-2018, 12:11 PM

If I were the committee, I would seed 4 teams from the ACC as those 65-68. Teach the smug b******s a lesson. Then, the 2 that won, I would seed as 16's.

Markburn1
03-10-2018, 02:14 PM
If I were the committee, I would seed 4 teams from the ACC as those 65-68. Teach the smug b******s a lesson. Then, the 2 that won, I would seed as 16's.

Not fair to the one seeds.

CDC84
03-10-2018, 04:02 PM
Of course Parrish and Norlander said in their podcast that while they wouldn't put St. Mary's in (although they think the committee will eventually put them in), both guys hope the Gaels get the play in game and that the NCAA commish will point to them as an example of what NOT to do. That horrific non-con scheduling gets you this close to being left out. That it might be more influential to make an example out of a team that made the play in game (with a roster and talent that is perhaps better than a 12 seed) than making an example of a team who didn't make the field. That normal tactic just doesn't seem to inspire teams to scheduler harder.

Hoopaholic
03-10-2018, 04:06 PM
Of course Parrish and Norlander said in their podcast that while they wouldn't put St. Mary's in (although they think the committee will eventually put them in), both guys hope the Gaels get the play in game and that the NCAA commish will point to them as an example of what NOT to do. That horrific non-con scheduling gets you this close to being left out. That it might be more influential to make an example out of a team that made the play in game (with a roster and talent that is perhaps better than a 12 seed) than making an example of a team who didn't make the field. That normal tactic just doesn't seem to inspire teams to scheduler harder.

2 q1 wins. Weak sauce

willandi
03-10-2018, 04:14 PM
Not fair to the one seeds.

True, but the way they seed now, using RPI and ignoring the other metrics, is hardly fair to everybody else.

Zagsker
03-10-2018, 04:16 PM
If I was a conf champ and had to do a play in game i would be pissed.

Play in games should be the 4 last in at large vs 4 first out at large

KStyles
03-10-2018, 04:24 PM
If I was a conf champ and had to do a play in game i would be pissed.

Play in games should be the 4 last in at large vs 4 first out at large

The conferences probably like it. They have a decent chance at 2 units in the Dayton game as opposed an extremely small chance for 2 units just playing a 1 seed.

Players might like it as well, decent chance to play two games in the tourney rather than just the one vs. a 1 seed (and if they believe they're good enough to beat the one seed, having to play a 16 seed before that shouldn't be a huge deal).

Zagsker
03-10-2018, 05:59 PM
The conferences probably like it. They have a decent chance at 2 units in the Dayton game as opposed an extremely small chance for 2 units just playing a 1 seed.

Players might like it as well, decent chance to play two games in the tourney rather than just the one vs. a 1 seed (and if they believe they're good enough to beat the one seed, having to play a 16 seed before that shouldn't be a huge deal).

Fair enough...iam just saying from my perspective and say I was at a school that rarely goes to the tourney and we win our conference, go to Dayton and lose, I would feel like I never played in the NCAA tourney

KStyles
03-10-2018, 06:13 PM
Fair enough...iam just saying from my perspective and say I was at a school that rarely goes to the tourney and we win our conference, go to Dayton and lose, I would feel like I never played in the NCAA tourney

Yeah, I can agree with that. There's probably something about playing on Thursday/Friday that's a lot different than playing on Tuesday/Wednesday in Dayton.