PDA

View Full Version : GU men's banquet

Zags11
03-09-2018, 10:09 PM
This is our 4th year going. It was pretty good again.

Let's see if I can post tidbits:

Few said this team has battled all year long and the BYU pounding was beautiful.

Tommy choked up speaking on Silas saying he wished he had four more years with him.

Silas and JW3 said they love the coaches and community and their team mates are brothers. Silas calls Donnie "grandpa" and jw3 calls him "uncle".
Pete also had a splendid speech.

The players didn't stick around after but 5-10 minutes as they were going to the movies.

Hudson made comments on TBS hosting selection Sunday and mocked the new format.

Go zags

Zags11
03-10-2018, 07:06 AM
No one else went?

ZagNative
03-10-2018, 07:09 AM
Zags11, Thanks for your report! Looking forward to hearing the reports of anyone else who attended.

Zags11
03-10-2018, 07:37 AM
Zags11, Thanks for your report! Looking forward to hearing the reports of anyone else who attended.

Your welcome. Yes anyone else? I know I didn't remember everything.

spike_jr
03-10-2018, 08:11 AM
Silas had quite an impressive speech. It was a lot about how he had grown over his 4 quick years at GU. He spoke about sacrifice and perseverance and how Few drills into them to not be victim - do not ever lay down but always get back up, battle, and find a way. The first year was hard on him mentally and he struggled but he focused on making others around him better while trying to make himself better. His outlook on life is to help others - to serve. To help others achieve recognition. In about the only basketball reference he made, he said that he would much rather see and help J3 or Josh have a 30 point game than to have 15 for himself. Such a humble kid that will be successful in life. A great representative for himself, the Men's BB team, and Gonzaga University.

Hoopaholic
03-10-2018, 10:58 AM
Silas had quite an impressive speech. It was a lot about how he had grown over his 4 quick years at GU. He spoke about sacrifice and perseverance and how Few drills into them to not be victim - do not ever lay down but always get back up, battle, and find a way. The first year was hard on him mentally and he struggled but he focused on making others around him better while trying to make himself better. His outlook on life is to help others - to serve. To help others achieve recognition. In about the only basketball reference he made, he said that he would much rather see and help J3 or Josh have a 30 point game than to have 15 for himself. Such a humble kid that will be successful in life. A great representative for himself, the Men's BB team, and Gonzaga University.
Reps the zag family well. Going enjoy the rest of season with him on our team thanks silas

spike_jr
03-10-2018, 01:46 PM
Also, Silas was the last player to leave and took a lot of pictures with the fans. He seemed very appreciative and to savor the moment. A great Zag

rawkmandale
03-10-2018, 03:15 PM
Not that you probably care, if you were not there, but the food was EXCELLENT once again. Probably the fanciest dinner I have had since last year's banquet. Oh, plus pretty good white and red wine on the tables. Canoe Ridge stuff (Walla Walla).

I agree about Silas being the highlight speaker, though all three were good. Silas is an amazing person. J3 was the "best dressed" - stylin' with a tan colored, off centered, gangster hoodie.

Not much in the way of a video show this year. The coaches were great, but Coach Few blasted out like a rocket as soon as it ended - Lloyd and Daniels stuck around. Coach Daniels and I talked about what a great Zag that Silas has been, and Coach Lloyd and I talked about Jeremy Jones really stepping up in limited minutes. He also said that Brandon Clarke is going to be a revelation next year - already a great player. The staff is very excited about Brock Ravet coming in a couple of years - absolutely tremendous passing skills.

Coach Few talked about how very good teams like Boise State can get left out of the tournament (he obviously felt bad for Coach Rice), and how we should NEVER take it for granted.

There was also much talk (including from the President of the university) about the death that same day of Don Herak, a 95 year old Trustee Emeritus on the Board of Gonzaga, who had been instrumental in many of the difficult early-on decisions to invest heavily in the basketball program, back when Gonzaga was still struggling financially. http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2013/nov/24/gonzaga-universitys-basketball-success-fuels/#/0

Birddog
03-10-2018, 05:24 PM
Sorry to hear about Don Herak, may he rest in peace. I had a couple of beers with Don and one of his buddies on St Paddies Day in Memphis after the victory over Indiana St. It wasn't until a couple years later that I put 2 and 2 together. He was a major supporter of GU.

It should be noted that in addition to Silas' other attributes, he has a great beard.

hondo
03-10-2018, 06:31 PM
A long time ago, probably in the early 1980s, I attended a GU basketball lunch at which Don Herak spoke.
Don predicted a future for Gonzaga basketball that has pretty much come true. He believed that Gonzaga could some day become, as he termed, the Duke of the West. Early on, when there were not a lot of believers, Don did a great deal to help the Zags toward the goal that he saw for them.

Thanks Mr Herak and rest in peace knowing that your Zags are on the right track.

Zagceo
03-10-2018, 06:50 PM
Thank You Mr Herak

Visionary leader

RIP

rawkmandale
03-11-2018, 01:16 AM
It must have been "a moment of satisfaction" a year ago for Don Herak - to see his beloved Zags in the National Championship Game!

JAGzag
03-11-2018, 04:18 AM
Not a single comment or fan questions on moving leagues??

Virginia Zags Fan
03-11-2018, 05:47 AM
Not the venue. It is a time to celebrate the accomplishments of three fine young men.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spike_jr
03-11-2018, 06:30 AM
Not a single comment or fan questions on moving leagues??

There was no opportunity for formal Q&A

JAGzag
03-11-2018, 08:03 AM
There was no opportunity for formal Q&A

Copy, was just wondering about the side conversations after the fact that folks were alluding to. Seems that would be at the forefront of everyone’s thoughts!

Zags11
03-11-2018, 10:01 AM
Copy, was just wondering about the side conversations after the fact that folks were alluding to. Seems that would be at the forefront of everyone’s thoughts!

No I didn't even think about it.