PDA

View Full Version : Anyone watching the MWC tourney?

thespywhozaggedme
03-08-2018, 06:28 PM
I really like the floor and Go Broncos!

HillZag
03-08-2018, 07:48 PM
Oh yeah. I tuned in via Facebook live.

Now I see why they MWC wants Gonzaga so bad. Their TV deal is complete garbage.

thespywhozaggedme
03-08-2018, 07:54 PM
Oh yeah. I tuned in via Facebook live.

Now I see why they MWC wants Gonzaga so bad. Their TV deal is complete garbage.

It was on CBS Sports Network

Kong-Kool-Aid
03-08-2018, 08:00 PM
How about posting this in General Basketball?

HillZag
03-08-2018, 08:13 PM
I did see that the MWC had some of their tournament on Facebook live, and some on CBS Sports Network...I think I get that channel.

23dpg
03-08-2018, 08:18 PM
I did see that the MWC had some of their tournament on Facebook live, and some on CBS Sports Network...I think I get that channel.

That's part of the problem. I think almost everyone would like to see the MW redo their TV deal with ESPN.

As far as the court. I said this elsewhere. I don't like it. Too much brown on brown on brown. I especially don't like the dark brown on a basketball court. I think it looks like a barn. Oklahoma has a similar court look.

HillZag
03-08-2018, 08:28 PM
That's part of the problem. I think almost everyone would like to see the MW redo their TV deal with ESPN.

As far as the court. I said this elsewhere. I don't like it. Too much brown on brown on brown. I especially don't like the dark brown on a basketball court. I think it looks like a barn. Oklahoma has a similar court look.

Their markets are horrible. That's why the bad TV deals. Even though many of our schools are small draws in their markets, from a TV perspective they are in valuable markets. Hence, the WCC has a better TV deal than the MWC. Because LA, Portland, etc. are better than Laramie, Fort Collins, Logan, etc.

23dpg
03-08-2018, 08:34 PM
Their markets are horrible. That's why the bad TV deals. Even though many of our schools are small draws in their markets, from a TV perspective they are in valuable markets. Hence, the WCC has a better TV deal than the MWC. Because LA, Portland, etc. are better than Laramie, Fort Collins, Logan, etc.

Not sure I agree with that. The markets are better but nobody in those communities cares for any of those teams in the WCC. Outside of Spokane of course.

HillZag
03-08-2018, 08:37 PM
Not sure I agree with that. The markets are better but nobody in those communities cares for any of those teams in the WCC. Outside of Spokane of course.

There's a reason the MWC has always struggled with TV deals. What I just stated above is the reason.

23dpg
03-08-2018, 08:40 PM
There's a reason the MWC has always struggled with TV deals. What I just stated above is the reason.

I don't disagree with that part. I think the reason the WCC got a better deal with ESPN was Gonzaga.

rennis
03-09-2018, 06:19 AM

Add Seattle for west side GU fan base.

SWZag
03-09-2018, 06:37 AM
BSU is the only team respectable to watch, thanks to what Leon has done there. Now that BSU is out, not much value in watching, in my opinion.

(I can guarantee Few is going to hate playing Leon, as he did with Grier at USD).

raise the zag
03-09-2018, 07:14 AM
I don't disagree with that part. I think the reason the WCC got a better deal with ESPN was Gonzaga.

This.

And those believing or pretending otherwise, are out of touch.

The idea of "markets" is more in line with professional sports, not NCAA as much. Maybe for attendance, but not TV ratings.

Besides, WCC gyms aren't even 50% full if/when Gonzaga is not in town.

Don't kid yourselves believing (wishing?) LMU has an audience b/c they are based in L.A.

There are numerous examples of P5 schools in 'small' cities, even rural ones. Look at the Big 12, part of Big East, ACC, Big 10, AAC especially, many are in tiny towns, "college towns", small markets, etc.

Any mention of markets and TV deals isn't very applicable here, esp in this sport. Conference affiliation, sure, but this isn't the NBA.

Gonzaga has a Brand throughout the Western US. Its the reason we have a TV deal like we do, not to mention the market BYU has by itself, which has helped fund WLive, etc.

former1dog
03-09-2018, 07:54 AM
BSU is the only team respectable to watch, thanks to what Leon has done there. Now that BSU is out, not much value in watching, in my opinion.

(I can guarantee Few is going to hate playing Leon, as he did with Grier at USD).

I usually agree and appreciate all your posts SWZag, but not this one so much.

Nevada is a fantastic basketball team. SDSU is looking better and better.

SWZag
03-09-2018, 08:00 AM
I usually agree and appreciate all your posts SWZag, but not this one so much.

Nevada is a fantastic basketball team. SDSU is looking better and better.

I guess I can't win them all! ;)

Pallet
03-09-2018, 09:06 AM
This.

And those believing or pretending otherwise, are out of touch.

The idea of "markets" is more in line with professional sports, not NCAA as much. Maybe for attendance, but not TV ratings.

Besides, WCC gyms aren't even 50% full if/when Gonzaga is not in town.

Don't kid yourselves believing (wishing?) LMU has an audience b/c they are based in L.A.

There are numerous examples of P5 schools in 'small' cities, even rural ones. Look at the Big 12, part of Big East, ACC, Big 10, AAC especially, many are in tiny towns, "college towns", small markets, etc.

Any mention of markets and TV deals isn't very applicable here, esp in this sport. Conference affiliation, sure, but this isn't the NBA.

Gonzaga has a Brand throughout the Western US. Its the reason we have a TV deal like we do, not to mention the market BYU has by itself, which has helped fund WLive, etc.

I agree that GU and BYU are the driving forces behind the WCC TV deals, but I think markets still matter in college athletics. The Big 10 added Rutgers and Maryland to claim the NYC and DC-Baltimore markets for TV deals, even though Rutgers doesn't have a big presence in the area.

The P5 schools may be located in smaller cities, but thanks to their large enrollments they have huge alumni bases in the larger cities.

TravelinZag
03-10-2018, 04:23 AM
How have BYU, Texas et. al. done with their networks — cost to establish and operate, revenue, etc. Work for GU? If not, could Zags get into a solo deal with ESPN/Root regardless of conference affiliation?

Bias as a resident on the east coast: chose tv provider solely on availability to see all Zag’s games, except exhibitions.

jazzdelmar
03-10-2018, 04:38 AM
Maybe all the P5s will run their postseason tourneys in NYC next year. Besides the clearly appropriate BE, the B10 and the ACC were in Gotham this year. Obviously to maximize media and alumni attendance/fund raising. Between Vegas and the Apple, how many tourneys are covered?

Murphy outgo lifer
03-10-2018, 05:25 AM
Maybe all the P5s will run their postseason tourneys in NYC next year. Besides the clearly appropriate BE, the B10 and the ACC were in Gotham this year. Obviously to maximize media and alumni attendance/fund raising. Between Vegas and the Apple, how many tourneys are covered?

2018 CONFERENCE TOURNAMENTS
CONFERENCE TOURNAMENT SITE
AAC Orlando, Fla.
ACC Brooklyn
America East Campus sites
Atlantic 10 Washington D.C.
Atlantic Sun Campus sites
Big East New York
Big Sky Reno, Nev.
Big South Campus sites
Big Ten New York
Big 12 Kansas City
Big West Anaheim
Colonial North Charleston, S.C.
Conference USA Frisco, Texas
Horizon League Detroit
Ivy League Philadelphia
MAAC Albany, N.Y.
MAC Cleveland, Ohio
MEAC Norfolk, Va.
Missouri Valley St. Louis
Mountain West Las Vegas
Northeast Campus sites
Ohio Valley Evansville, Ind.
Pac-12 Las Vegas
Patriot Campus sites
SEC St. Louis
Southern Asheville, N.C
Summit Sioux Falls, S.D.
Sun Belt New Orleans
SWAC Houston
WAC Las Vegas
West Coast Las Vegas

Vegas: Big Sky (Reno), MWC, Pac-12, WAC, WCC
New York: ACC, Big East, Big 10, and MAAC in Albany

gonzagafan62
03-10-2018, 05:29 AM
How about posting this in General Basketball?

Or maybe put it here because SDSU is on our schedule. Please be courteous to others.

Thank you

thespywhozaggedme
03-10-2018, 05:43 AM
2018 CONFERENCE TOURNAMENTS
CONFERENCE TOURNAMENT SITE
AAC Orlando, Fla.
ACC Brooklyn
America East Campus sites
Atlantic 10 Washington D.C.
Atlantic Sun Campus sites
Big East New York
Big Sky Reno, Nev.
Big South Campus sites
Big Ten New York
Big 12 Kansas City
Big West Anaheim
Colonial North Charleston, S.C.
Conference USA Frisco, Texas
Horizon League Detroit
Ivy League Philadelphia
MAAC Albany, N.Y.
MAC Cleveland, Ohio
MEAC Norfolk, Va.
Missouri Valley St. Louis
Mountain West Las Vegas
Northeast Campus sites
Ohio Valley Evansville, Ind.
Pac-12 Las Vegas
Patriot Campus sites
SEC St. Louis
Southern Asheville, N.C
Summit Sioux Falls, S.D.
Sun Belt New Orleans
SWAC Houston
WAC Las Vegas
West Coast Las Vegas

Vegas: Big Sky (Reno), MWC, Pac-12, WAC, WCC
New York: ACC, Big East, Big 10, and MAAC in Albany

Uh....Reno is in Vegas like Spokane is in Seattle

NorCalCoug
03-10-2018, 06:15 AM
I agree that GU and BYU are the driving forces behind the WCC TV deals, but I think markets still matter in college athletics. The Big 10 added Rutgers and Maryland to claim the NYC and DC-Baltimore markets for TV deals, even though Rutgers doesn't have a big presence in the area.

The P5 schools may be located in smaller cities, but thanks to their large enrollments they have huge alumni bases in the larger cities.

That's a little different... The BigTen added those schools in order to collect subscriber fees in market for the BTN.

NWRebel
03-10-2018, 12:20 PM
MWC championship game at 3pm PT and on the local CBS broadcast station in Spokane (KREM).

RenoZag
03-10-2018, 03:11 PM
SDSU 39
UNM 38

Start of 2nd Half

CDC84
03-10-2018, 03:16 PM
I saw New Mexico play two games vs. Arizona and Rice at the Pit in December.

A quote from a trusted "analyst": "UNM making the MWC title game is nothing short of a miracle." My Dad sees every home game from his perch at the top level.

They looked like MWC bottom feeder material to me in December. The new coach (the former NMSU head coach with only 1 year of D-1 head coaching experience) was experimenting with staring lineups strictly based on the players who were willing to play the hardest. That is how far they have come.

CDC84
03-10-2018, 03:24 PM
That's a little different... The BigTen added those schools in order to collect subscriber fees in market for the BTN.

On a non-related side note, BTN is the best conference-related sports channel in the universe. They have really high quality announcers and analysts. For all sports. Andy Katz does work for them on weekdays. I would think Katz will join our old WCC announcer/analyst Stephen Bardo and Mike Decourcy for the Big 10 network's bracketology show tomorrow night. Of course their emphasis will be on the Big 10, but I just cannot watch ESPN bracketology or CBS College Sports Network's version anymore. Too many screaming heads and people who have no clue what they're talking about.

RenoZag
03-10-2018, 04:17 PM
San Diego State is going dancing, 82 -75 winners over New Mexico