PDA

View Full Version : Bracketology: We're finally seeded 4th in the West Region

Reborn
03-08-2018, 05:28 AM
Thank you Joe Lunardi. finally. Lunardi has moved Arizona to where the Zags were, 4th in East. That's where they belong. Joe has us playing Ohio which I doubt will happen since we have already played them this year. I see a possibility for a 3 seed if Auburn loses in their tournament, and I think that they will. Auburn is going downhill imo.

Go Zags!!!

strikenowhere
03-08-2018, 05:33 AM
Thank you Joe Lunardi. finally. Lunardi has moved Arizona to where the Zags were, 4th in East. That's where they belong. Joe has us playing Ohio which I doubt will happen since we have already played them this year. I see a possibility for a 3 seed if Auburn loses in their tournament, and I think that they will. Auburn is going downhill imo.

Go Zags!!!

Yeah I think a 3 in the West in Boise would be best case here

thebigsmoove
03-08-2018, 05:40 AM
Once you get out of the 1st weekend, where is the west regional this year?

Edit: Nevermind, i see its in LA. Then the final four weekend would be in San Antonio. I could get with Boise -> LA -> SA

:cheers:

Reborn
03-08-2018, 05:42 AM
Once you get out of the 1st weekend, where is the west regional this year?

Los Angeles

I've done a little research. I do consider team losses, and honestly they are just as important as any team victory. To me basketball, or any game, is about winning. I hate losing. It will be quite unfair if the Committee does not count losses, as I have read here that they are planning to not count them. The beauty of Gonzaga's resume is that they have lost only one game to a team in the 51-100 group. No other team in in Div 1 has a record better than that, and we are tied with Virginia, Villanova and Xavier who only have one loss in the 51-100 class. That's being in pretty good company. These 4 teams do not have any losses below the 51-100 class. If you look at seeding as something to reward teams who don't lose a lot to lower ranked teams than Gonzaga would be a number one seed. It is all too obvious that the current system rewards the teams in the Big 6 conferences, and penalizes a team like Gonzaga who is a mid-major. And you can not convince me that Gonzaga did not play very good teams in non conference. They did. You can not tell me that Villanova, Ohio St, Florida, and Creighton are not very good teams. And even SDSU is a real good team, and unfortunately this year they are a little down. GONZAGA DESERVES AT LEAST A THREE SEED.

More research. Arizona has 4 losses in the 51-100 class and actually one loss in the 101-150 class. And only 3 wins in the top class, 1-50. Gonzaga has 4.

Go Zags!!!

jazzdelmar
03-08-2018, 05:51 AM
I'd rather be a 4 and in the Rd of 32 play The OSU than a 3 and play Nevada....

Reborn
03-08-2018, 06:06 AM

You could be right. They are a dangerous mid-major. However, their resume doesn't look all that good, Jazz. They just got beat by SDSU in their conference tournament. Kind of a big upset similar to St Mary's to BYU. They also lost to San Francisco.

jazzdelmar
03-08-2018, 06:15 AM
You could be right. They are a dangerous mid-major. However, their resume doesn't look all that good, Jazz. They just got beat by SDSU in their conference tournament. Kind of a big upset similar to St Mary's to BYU. They also lost to San Francisco.

But we know we can beat TOSU. Muss is a very good coach, but they could lose early in the MWC tourney. Maybe at noon vs UNLV.

thebigsmoove
03-08-2018, 06:22 AM

Nevada has not lost in their conference tourney yet...they play UNLV today.

MWC Bracket (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/tournament/bracket/_/id/201820/2018-mwc-tournament)

TheGonzagaFactor
03-08-2018, 06:30 AM

That wasn't in the conference tournament. It was a true away game at SDSU that they lost just like us.

Virginia Zags Fan
03-08-2018, 06:33 AM
Jerry Palm has Zags a 5 in the Midwest. Chip on the shoulder anyone?

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/bracketology/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jazzdelmar
03-08-2018, 06:39 AM
[QUOTE=Virginia Zags Fan;1370697]Jerry Palm has Zags a 5 in the Midwest. Chip on the shoulder anyone?

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/bracketology/

Insult to injury, Shockers in 2d round!!!!

thebigsmoove
03-08-2018, 06:45 AM
I really despise CBS' look for their bracketology. Add in the fact that Jerry Palm is shafting us and boom.

Goshzagit
03-08-2018, 06:55 AM
I still think 6 seed, 5 seed at best.

The "Bracketologists" and projections have been seeding us higher all season compared to where the Committee has, and same with other teams outside the Top-5 RPI.

we know our Sagarin, Pomeroy, BPI, et al have us way higher, yet preparing myself for disappointment on Selection Sunday -- followed by a major chip on the 'ol shoulder.

23dpg
03-08-2018, 07:17 AM
Didn’t want to start a new thread so I thought I’d stick this tidbit here.

Yesterday on PTI, the mailbag question was would Gun-zaw-ga make the final four again. Tony Kornheiser said Gun-zaw
-ga wouldn’t. His reasons were sound. Mike Wilbon then corrected the pronunciation of Gonzaga (kudos) and the went on to say he thought they would make another final four. He was very complimentary of the program and Mark Few.

Virginia Zags Fan
03-08-2018, 07:28 AM
That would be awesome to make it as a 6[emoji6]

VinnyZag
03-08-2018, 07:33 AM
I still think 6 seed, 5 seed at best.

The "Bracketologists" and projections have been seeding us higher all season compared to where the Committee has, and same with other teams outside the Top-5 RPI.

we know our Sagarin, Pomeroy, BPI, et al have us way higher, yet preparing myself for disappointment on Selection Sunday -- followed by a major chip on the 'ol shoulder.

In some ways a 6 seed is better than a 4 or a 5. 11s tend to be the last at large in the field (mediocre teams from major conferences, ala Oklahoma or Arizona State), and the crop of potential 3 seeds doesn't exactly blow me away this year.

Zagceo
03-08-2018, 07:53 AM
this is AI at work....when 2 teams don't play but the data that surrounds them changes

Coach Crazy
03-08-2018, 08:49 AM
In some ways a 6 seed is better than a 4 or a 5. 11s tend to be the last at large in the field (mediocre teams from major conferences, ala Oklahoma or Arizona State), and the crop of potential 3 seeds doesn't exactly blow me away this year.

Yeah, and the best way to really use the P5 gang up against the P5 is to make them play a highly underrated seed against their own protected snowflake seeding's. Eventually, that stuff stops.

23dpg
03-08-2018, 08:55 AM
We deserve a 2 or 3. I think we’ll get a 4. If they’re going to screw us over with a 5, I’d rather they double screw us with a 6. More motivation and a longer path to face the #1 seed.

Ezag
03-08-2018, 09:05 AM
Man, I am hoping for Zags to Boise. I'll be running camera at the Boise site!

Goshzagit
03-08-2018, 09:07 AM

Good point.

Longer path to face a #1 seed. Although, really no difference b/w 1 & 2 seeds this year. In some ways, #2 seeds more dangerous this season.

fwiw, Arizona St not most disciplined of teams and didn't perform as expected in Pac-12, yet still put together some impressive wins and performances. They have serious length at every position.

Goshzagit
03-08-2018, 09:08 AM

Awesome. We'll most likely end up in Boise, IF seeded appropriately.

If underseeded -- which I expect -- then Wichita, San Diego, even Dallas all possibilities.

Kemo 1966
03-08-2018, 10:27 PM
At this moment, if it is #4 in Boise, It will be Gonzaga's easiest path to the Elite 8.......last I looked, S. Dad St/Ohio St/ then double digit win over Kansas in L.A.

HOWEVER, the MAGNOLIA GARDEN CLUB of NCAA, would never give the zags this path, knowingly. If Kansas is the #1 in the West, they probably will be the first number one out of the tourney!!!! Book it!

zagsfanforlife
03-09-2018, 05:39 AM

Seen them probably 5 or 6 times... they are my darkhorse for a final four run. Their starting 5 is all 6'7... so you may have an advantage (possibly) inside with JW... but Jordan Caroline, the martin twins and Kendall Stephens are all studs. Only play 7 guys though. They are very very good. I expect them to win the MWC.

Rangerzag
03-09-2018, 05:46 AM
Holding in place (4. West, Boise) in version dated March 9.

caldwellzag
03-09-2018, 05:51 AM
And Arizona dropped to a 5 in the South today. Maybe Joey is hearing something that is keeping the Zags at the 4 in the West.

jazzdelmar
03-09-2018, 06:14 AM
And Arizona dropped to a 5 in the South today. Maybe Joey is hearing something that is keeping the Zags at the 4 in the West.

Why wd Zona be dropped?

Goshzagit
03-09-2018, 06:16 AM

I used to feel a match-up with Zona was inevitable by Rd 2, yet have a feeling Arizona goes to San Diego and we go to Boise...even if we're a 5 seed...which I expect is our best chance. A 6 still isn't out of the question.

#remember2003

Hoopaholic
03-09-2018, 06:16 AM
Why wd Zona be dropped?

Because West Virginia moved up so it appears he has zags as the first four and West Virginia last 4

Birddog
03-09-2018, 06:59 AM

Joey doesn't hear anything, he makes this $hit up. He created a zombie enterprise called "bracketology" and now has millions of zombies following his prognostications. You'd probably do just as well going to Madam Zuma and have your fortune told. Getting worked up about Joe's predictions whether up or down is just nuts. Don't take this post personally, it's meant for a wider audience.

Rangerzag
03-09-2018, 07:36 AM
Joey doesn't hear anything, he makes this $hit up. He created a zombie enterprise called "bracketology" and now has millions of zombies following his prognostications. You'd probably do just as well going to Madam Zuma and have your fortune told. Getting worked up about Joe's predictions whether up or down is just nuts. Don't take this post personally, it's meant for a wider audience.

BD is entirely correct.

This site, pointed out by another forum memeber, whose identity I do not recall, will give lots to chew on to those who like bracketology.

Lunardi just has the most exposure, not even the best record.

http://bracketmatrix.com/rankings.html

willandi
03-09-2018, 07:39 AM
St Johns lost yesterday, they finished at 16-17 overall and 4-14 in the Big East, with wins over Villanova and Duke.

That is at least 18 Quad 1 and 2 games, plus the 12-3 OCC schedule.

Does this drop them off the 5 seed?

HillZag
03-09-2018, 09:29 AM
If we can please, please play in Boise...fantastic GU turnout if we play in Boise. Still strong in San Diego, but Boise is driving distance for a lot of GU fans.

sittingon50
03-09-2018, 09:49 AM

Madam Zuma is awesome!

Between the scratch I've made on her "tips" & what I've paid her in fees, I've almost broken even!

sittingon50
03-09-2018, 09:50 AM
St Johns lost yesterday, they finished at 16-17 overall and 4-14 in the Big East, with wins over Villanova and Duke.

That is at least 18 Quad 1 and 2 games, plus the 12-3 OCC schedule.

Does this drop them off the 5 seed?

Don't think so, will. Pretty sure the NCAA want's the exposure provided by Chris Mullin's crewcut.

soccerdud
03-09-2018, 10:47 AM
Seen them probably 5 or 6 times... they are my darkhorse for a final four run. Their starting 5 is all 6'7... so you may have an advantage (possibly) inside with JW... but Jordan Caroline, the martin twins and Kendall Stephens are all studs. Only play 7 guys though. They are very very good. I expect them to win the MWC.

injuries, tho. pg kendall stephens out for year. caroline has a broken finger (non-shooting hand, playing through it). one of the martin twins has a foot sprain that was supposed to keep him out 7 weeks but he's playing through it for now -- and apparently wearing a boot whenever not playing.

they are a scary, long, crazy-shooting team... but these injuries are a pretty big deal and rui and j3 may be better defensive matchups against them than 95% of the country can trot out. i'd like our chances but would still be plenty nervous.

Hoopaholic
03-09-2018, 11:00 AM
Hmmmmm. Auburn getting blown out by Bamako. Could they lose their 3 seed

dhozagfan08
03-09-2018, 11:05 AM
Hmmmmm. Auburn getting blown out by Bamako. Could they lose their 3 seed
They need to drop. The committee needs to take into consideration how much they have struggled since they lost their big man for the year who broke his leg. Flip side, id be happy with a 6 seed if they were our 3. Depending on our first round matchup of course.

caldwellzag
03-09-2018, 11:09 AM
They need to drop. The committee needs to take into consideration how much they have struggled since they lost their big man for the year who broke his leg. Flip side, id be happy with a 6 seed if they were our 3. Depending on our first round matchup of course.

In the past injuries have played a factor in seeding. I would expect them to drop.

thebigsmoove
03-09-2018, 11:21 AM
There is no chance we are a 6 seed, i dont know where any of that is coming from. We are at worst the best 5 seed in the country or best the worst 3 seed. I think its likely we end up as the 4 seed in Boise in the West Bracket. Joey Brackets has us about right where i think we should be based on our quadrants and Range of analytics.

The more interesting topic at the moment is how does Alabama wiping the floor with Auburn affect Saint Mary's. Bama likely moves to the first 4 byes and Saint Marys will drop further...

Also How is the hell is Oklahoma State out but Oklahoma in? Oklahoma State just beat them in the Big 12 tourney.

zagsfanforlife
03-09-2018, 11:34 AM
injuries, tho. pg kendall stephens out for year. caroline has a broken finger (non-shooting hand, playing through it). one of the martin twins has a foot sprain that was supposed to keep him out 7 weeks but he's playing through it for now -- and apparently wearing a boot whenever not playing.

they are a scary, long, crazy-shooting team... but these injuries are a pretty big deal and rui and j3 may be better defensive matchups against them than 95% of the country can trot out. i'd like our chances but would still be plenty nervous.

Think you got the wrong info...

Stephens isnt out for the year. Drew is. Carolina is still ballin. But didnt know the other injuries.

Mr Vulture
03-09-2018, 11:38 AM
Two words - Trae Young. That is why OU over OSU...pretty lame but that is the reasoning I'm sure. Oklahoma will lose the first game they play if they make it at all. I'd personally put all of Oklahoma State, Notre Dame, and Middle Tennessee in over Oklahoma.

thebigsmoove
03-09-2018, 11:41 AM
Two words - Trae Young. That is why OU over OSU...pretty lame but that is the reasoning I'm sure. Oklahoma will lose the first game they play if they make it at all.

Oklahoma is awful. That offense is awful. Really disgusted with all the press the Big 12 is getting this year, vastly overrated conference. It only looks more even because Kansas is really down this year. Texas Tech is decent, Press Virginia has its usual scrappy full court defense, but otherwise its a whole lot of trash.

Hoopaholic
03-09-2018, 11:53 AM

Me too

ZagOD7540
03-09-2018, 12:59 PM
There is no chance we are a 6 seed, i dont know where any of that is coming from. We are at worst the best 5 seed in the country or best the worst 3 seed. I think its likely we end up as the 4 seed in Boise in the West Bracket. Joey Brackets has us about right where i think we should be based on our quadrants and Range of analytics.

The more interesting topic at the moment is how does Alabama wiping the floor with Auburn affect Saint Mary's. Bama likely moves to the first 4 byes and Saint Marys will drop further...

Also How is the hell is Oklahoma State out but Oklahoma in? Oklahoma State just beat them in the Big 12 tourney.

Put both OU and OSU in! Anything to keep SM out...NIT, NIT, NIT

former1dog
03-09-2018, 01:22 PM
http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

We're the top 5 seed according to bracket matrix.

former1dog
03-09-2018, 01:23 PM
Top ranked Bracketville has us as a 4 in Boise

https://bracketville.wordpress.com/bracketology/

23dpg
03-09-2018, 01:27 PM

We're the top 5 seed according to bracket matrix.

St Mary’s down to an 11. They could not have liked that Alabama win today. Feels like they just squeezed somebody out.

CDC84
03-09-2018, 01:36 PM
BD is entirely correct.

This site, pointed out by another forum memeber, whose identity I do not recall, will give lots to chew on to those who like bracketology.

Lunardi just has the most exposure, not even the best record.

http://bracketmatrix.com/rankings.html

Good grief. I didn't realize there were THAT MANY bracketology sites out there.

The tale that people used to always tell regarding Lunardi was that he was good at selecting the teams, but lousy at seeding and location.

soccerdud
03-09-2018, 03:48 PM
Think you got the wrong info...

Stephens isnt out for the year. Drew is. Carolina is still ballin. But didnt know the other injuries.

you're right, i got confused (there was a long list of injuries to remember). drew is out for the year, and stephens has ligament damage in his shooting thumb. mah bad on that detail, but my point remains.

dhozagfan08
03-09-2018, 03:52 PM

The committee showed in their bracket reveal that they are still using RPI, and right now we are 27th. Even if they were using the quad win system, that doesn't help us. We've added 1, quad 1 win. How many teams around us have added more? And how many times have we got a much lower seed than we thought we'd get? I wouldn't be surprised at all if we got a 6 seed.

23dpg
03-09-2018, 04:00 PM
The committee showed in their bracket reveal that they are still using RPI, and right now we are 27th. Even if they were using the quad win system, that doesn't help us. We've added 1, quad 1 win. How many teams around us have added more? And how many times have we got a much lower seed than we thought we'd get? I wouldn't be surprised at all if we got a 6 seed.

23rd as of 4pm. http://realtimerpi.com/college_Men_basketball_rpi.html
I think a 6 is very unrealistic but I see an upside. Motivation + one game further from 1 seed.

dhozagfan08
03-09-2018, 05:32 PM
23rd as of 4pm. http://realtimerpi.com/college_Men_basketball_rpi.html
I think a 6 is very unrealistic but I see an upside. Motivation + one game further from 1 seed.

Thanks for that link, that's good to have. 23rd still comes out to a 6 seed though if they are focusing on rpi

Marconi
03-09-2018, 05:41 PM

I get the whole "chip on our shoulder" motivation, but a 6 seed would be an insult! If that were to happen it would be time for torches and pitchforks.

I honestly believe (maybe I'm a little biased) that we should be a 2 seed. We are the 6th ranked team in the nation! Do the math, 4 + 4 + 8.

All venting aside, if we are anything less than a 4 seed, I will be very surprised.

katman50
03-09-2018, 06:13 PM
I get the whole "chip on our shoulder" motivation, but a 6 seed would be an insult! If that were to happen it would be time for torches and pitchforks.

I honestly believe (maybe I'm a little biased) that we should be a 2 seed. We are the 6th ranked team in the nation! Do the math, 4 + 4 + 8.

All venting aside, if we are anything less than a 4 seed, I will be very surprised.

Agree, wholeheartedly!

DixieZag
03-09-2018, 07:03 PM

Cool!

Sandpointzagsfan
03-09-2018, 07:40 PM
Cool!

That’s awesome!!! I just bought my tickets for the Boise games so I’m praying there in Boise as well.

Zagceo
03-09-2018, 10:42 PM
Moved to South but still#4 seed Boise

GoZags
03-10-2018, 12:47 AM
Ouch

Dropped to the 6 seed and sent to Wichita to play 11 seed Alabama per Jerry Palm at CBSSports.

https://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology/bracket

TexasZagFan
03-10-2018, 02:12 AM
Ouch

Dropped to the 6 seed and sent to Wichita to play 11 seed Alabama per Jerry Palm at CBSSports.

Damn GZ, what are you doing up so early, to pass on this disappointing news? lol, I know why I'm up...damn dog likes to chase the rabbits out of our backyard, and I'm the only one who gets up.

ETA: latest brackets have SMC as a 12 in a play-in game with Oklahoma.

gonstu
03-10-2018, 04:22 AM
Ouch

Most recent has 5 seed in Boise. Lots seem to be predicting Boise now. Still hoping to avoid Arizona I think they should be in San Diego.

GoZags
03-10-2018, 05:01 AM
Most recent has 5 seed in Boise. Lots seem to be predicting Boise now. Still hoping to avoid Arizona I think they should be in San Diego.

I'd sure take that .... a nice blend of "chip on the shoulder" and what I think are a couple of pretty good matchups in Boise ... WKU and Texas Tech ...

Reborn
03-10-2018, 05:05 AM
Why do I see Gonzaga as a 4 seed in Boise pod and South Region?

GoZags
03-10-2018, 05:24 AM
Why do I see Gonzaga as a 4 seed in Boise pod and South Region?

You see that because you are looking at Joe Lunardi's ESPN Bracketology.

The discussion starting with post #59 deals with cbssports.com's Jerry Palm (that's the link in post #59)

former1dog
03-10-2018, 06:26 AM

4 seed in the West, Boise

RenoZag
03-10-2018, 07:59 AM

Zags a 5 seed, per the above compilation site. . . I am hoping for a 4 seed, won't be shocked if GU is a 5 or even a 6. . .

TexasZagFan
03-10-2018, 08:07 AM

Zags a 5 seed, per the above compilation site. . . I am hoping for a 4 seed, won't be shocked if GU is a 5 or even a 6. . .

For all we know, they could end up in Dallas, or some other site 2000+ miles from Spokane.

23dpg
03-10-2018, 08:12 AM
Currently 22nd in RPI. http://realtimerpi.com/college_Men_basketball_rpi.html.

I think a 5 is hard to justify by using all the metrics. I’m feeling pretty good about a 4 right now.

caduceus
03-10-2018, 10:21 PM
Lunardi is all over the place with the Zags. His newest iteration has bumped the Zags down to a 5, in Boise, in the Midwest bracket, facing (really?)....SDSU.

krozman
03-10-2018, 10:55 PM
Lunardi is great at predicting WHO is in the field, but I don't honestly think he can come close to who we're facing. I let stuff like that go because he's probably on 3 hours sleep at this point.

raise the zag
03-10-2018, 11:56 PM
Been saying all season, even afte their 3 straight losses in Bahamas, last team i want to face early in Tourney is Arizona.

We are paired against them in approximately 60% of the 104 brackets on BracketMatrix.

This year's Arizona team would demolish last year's Sweet 16 #2 seed team. No doubt in my mind.

Their dual 7 footers, combined with their dual 6'5" backcourt, and arguably the most dominant player in college hoops in a decade...well...we couldn't defend them.

I would take them in an Elite 8 match up, but this 2nd Rd 4 vs 5, 5 vs 4 stuff makes me nervous.

If Zona steps up their team Defense, they could win it all.

Zags11
03-11-2018, 01:00 AM
Been saying all season, even afte their 3 straight losses in Bahamas, last team i want to face early in Tourney is Arizona.

We are paired against them in approximately 60% of the 104 brackets on BracketMatrix.

This year's Arizona team would demolish last year's Sweet 16 #2 seed team. No doubt in my mind.

Their dual 7 footers, combined with their dual 6'5" backcourt, and arguably the most dominant player in college hoops in a decade...well...we couldn't defend them.

I would take them in an Elite 8 match up, but this 2nd Rd 4 vs 5, 5 vs 4 stuff makes me nervous.

This.

GoZags
03-11-2018, 01:15 AM

I'd kinda like to avoid those guys as long as possible too.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-11-2018, 06:22 AM

Zona is the most talented team in the country. They are a team that could beat the Zags as thoroughly as Villanova did, if they play their best ball. I have seen them play flat and disinterested basketball at times. If we catch them on an off night, we can beat them. I could see Arizona winning the whole thing or losing to a lower seed in the round of 32.

I would like to avoid them as long as possible.

jazzdelmar
03-11-2018, 06:26 AM
Zona is team to beat ... F4 matchup w Nova or UVa wd be great

sheps001
03-11-2018, 06:50 AM
the bracketmatrix which is the compendium of all the bracket procrastinators picks us at the first five and moving up but this may be too late. Probably a five out west.

willandi
03-11-2018, 07:43 AM
I don't understand how Lunardi can move Wichita up to a 4, lowering the Zags to a 5, after Wichita lost yesterday.

It really seems that losses just don't matter, and with Gonzaga being 34-0 on the year, Zags should be #1! LOL

former1dog
03-11-2018, 07:57 AM
Top bracketologist Bracketville has GU as a 4 in the Midwest

GrizZAG
03-11-2018, 08:06 AM
Top bracketologist Bracketville has GU as a 4 in the Midwest

So does Sporting News

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/news/march-madness-2018-ncaa-basketball-tournament-bracket-rankings-bubble-kansas-duke-unc-kentucky-michigan-state/1jwv8tqpiwf1v1uyegbh7uaukp

bballbeachbum
03-11-2018, 08:10 AM
I don't understand how Lunardi can move Wichita up to a 4, lowering the Zags to a 5, after Wichita lost yesterday.

It really seems that losses just don't matter, and with Gonzaga being 34-0 on the year, Zags should be #1! LOL

agreed but fortunately it's just Lunardi
and of course for the Zags the losses matter, if they take a loss it's considered a bad loss in the WCC, they're screwed

bballbeachbum
03-11-2018, 08:11 AM
I'll just do the usual on Selection Sunday which is expect the worst and hope to be pleasantly surprised, sometimes it happens

mgadfly
03-11-2018, 08:43 AM
My guess is that Clemson is already in front of us for a 4 seed and Kentucky wins big and bumps ahead of us as well, putting us as the the second #5 seed. Houston could win as well and be in the mix for bumping ahead of us. The way I see it, there is 1 4 seed left and about 8 teams that have similar resumes, in the eyes of the committee, to the Zags.

The #21 RPI probably bumps us to the 5 line.

Edit: But it will be interesting to see what they do with Rhode Island (#14 RPI) and Nevada (#19 RPI). If the RPI is the basis for teams like Wichita State, Auburn and Tennessee being in front of GU, then shouldn't those two get the same royal treatment (in their cases they'll probably get penalized for their weak KenPom scores).

thespywhozaggedme
03-11-2018, 09:01 AM

They lost to Colorado

MontanaCoyote
03-11-2018, 09:16 AM
How does Jerry Palm do on seeding? Has Zag's a 5 in the EAST playing Buffalo. Also has St. Mary's a First 4 in playing
Oklahoma Midwest?

You think?

Goshzagit
03-11-2018, 09:22 AM
How does Jerry Palm do on seeding? Has Zag's a 5 in the EAST playing Buffalo. Also has St. Mary's a First 4 in playing
Oklahoma Midwest?

You think?

historically, Palm is rated higher than Joey B as far as seeding goes...

Lunardi ranks around 30th of the 104 official online "Bracketologists" in terms of seeding the past 5 or 6 years. Just to put him in perspective.

Great at guessing the "in" teams, yet graded around a C- overall for seeding.

Kong-Kool-Aid
03-11-2018, 09:30 AM
the bracketmatrix which is the compendium of all the bracket procrastinators picks us at the first five and moving up but this may be too late. Probably a five out west.

Bracketmatrix has some truly horrible "prognosticators" like people who put no time or effort into it so using it as a guide isn't awesome..

Instead look towards the guys who are the highest rated on there.

Zags a 4 in the midwest, potentially facing Wichita state in the second round.

St. mary's getting a play-in game against ASU... which would be a dream matchup for St. Mary's if it played out.

Zags11
03-11-2018, 10:02 AM
They lost to Colorado

North Carolina also lost some games as well during their title run with Tyler hansborough. It happens but the ceiling for Arizona is scary high IMO.

DixieZag
03-11-2018, 10:19 AM
The way people who know what they're talking about are "talking," I would rather be some anonymous 6 seed somewhere playing "last in" 11 seed from some major conference and then any team not named Arizona since all the other final four-type teams are 1s or 2s.

I realize the rankings have their own issues, but they do have some meaning behind them, and if the committee saw us play in our tourney and stick us as a 5 or 6, it would be robbery.

I think 6 is more likely than 4, and it will be the talk of the show, the committee guy will say some things that totally dis our team, get them really riled up, and an E8 becomes more likely. Having them picked 2nd in the conference seemed to work.

Zagceo
03-11-2018, 10:33 AM
They lost to Colorado

true....in Boulder

if we meet Cats in Viejas or Staples....will be sea of RED...been there done that

Would enjoy the game no matter....would really enjoy it in San Antonio.

DixieZag
03-11-2018, 10:34 AM
As of this moment, Bracket Matrix has us as the first 5 seed, which would put us against Wichita and an eventual match-up with Virginia as number one seed in entire tourney.

Yay.

Blah

We'll see.

Suck if they put us as 5 seed playing Wichita IN Wichita

Of all of them, I'd take Jerry Palm's.

5 seed in Boise against Buffalo (scary), but then 4 seed against Texas Tech, and then Villanova

thespywhozaggedme
03-11-2018, 10:59 AM
North Carolina also lost some games as well during their title run with Tyler hansborough. It happens but the ceiling for Arizona is scary high IMO.

So is ours. I wonder if there are any Zags11 equivalents on the Arizona board that are posting that they're "terrified" to face us.

mgadfly
03-11-2018, 11:21 AM
Bracketmatrix has some truly horrible "prognosticators" like people who put no time or effort into it so using it as a guide isn't awesome..

Instead look towards the guys who are the highest rated on there.

Zags a 4 in the midwest, potentially facing Wichita state in the second round.

St. mary's getting a play-in game against ASU... which would be a dream matchup for St. Mary's if it played out.

I was really hoping you were on to something and I was miscalculating our odds of being a 4 seed. Then I looked at the #2 through #5 highest rated prognosticators by BracketMatrix and all of them had us as a 5 seed.

Bracketville appears to be the outlier, even when comparing the high quality bracketologists.

Zags11
03-11-2018, 11:31 AM
So is ours. I wonder if there are any Zags11 equivalents on the Arizona board that are posting that they're "terrified" to face us.

Sure their is. Also it's just analysis on games. Some teams match up better vs other teams. Zags may match up better vs a Colorado team then Arizona does with Colorado.

I personally think AZ is a bad matchup for Gonzaga. I didn't say terrified. I said the matchup doesn't seem good for us. They have two 7 footers who I believe would overpower jw3 and Tillie. Arizona defense is poor but seems they are hitting their stride.

Again, I didn't say zags ceiling isn't high. I'm strictly talking matchups.

Kong-Kool-Aid
03-11-2018, 11:38 AM
Davidson bursts St Mary’s bubble.

thespywhozaggedme
03-11-2018, 11:53 AM
Sure their is. Also it's just analysis on games. Some teams match up better vs other teams. Zags may match up better vs a Colorado team then Arizona does with Colorado.

I personally think AZ is a bad matchup for Gonzaga. I didn't say terrified. I said the matchup doesn't seem good for us. They have two 7 footers who I believe would overpower jw3 and Tillie. Arizona defense is poor but seems they are hitting their stride.

Again, I didn't say zags ceiling isn't high. I'm strictly talking matchups.

Which one of Atyton or Ristic will come out and guard Tillie at the 3 point line? He's a mismatch for either one. Who guards Rui, or ZN? As you stated, their defense is poor.

mgadfly
03-11-2018, 11:59 AM
Which one of Atyton or Ristic will come out and guard Tillie at the 3 point line? He's a mismatch for either one. Who guards Rui, or ZN? As you stated, their defense is poor.

I think it'll be Ristic that guards Tillie, and I don't think that is a huge mismatch for us. And Ristic can afford to be beat off the dribble with Ayton playing behind him.

Zagceo
03-11-2018, 12:03 PM

Ayton would come out on Tillie

If our shooters are on could be one for the record books..2003ish

mgadfly
03-11-2018, 12:10 PM
Ayton would come out on Tillie

If our shooters are on could be one for the record books..2003ish

Do you think so? I've only seen a few games lately, but it seems like Ristic has been taking the guy that stays outside and Ayton protects the rim. Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention. Certainly Ayton has the ability to guard out there better (but he also has the ability to guard inside better too).

Zagceo
03-11-2018, 12:14 PM
Do you think so? I've only seen a few games lately, but it seems like Ristic has been taking the guy that stays outside and Ayton protects the rim. Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention. Certainly Ayton has the ability to guard out there better (but he also has the ability to guard inside better too).

Ayton is quicker but Cats probably wouldn't want Ayton running around to much on defense so Rustic would problem get the call until Tillie started raining 3's

zagzilla
03-11-2018, 12:36 PM
Just noticed that San Diego State up to RPI of 63. Means our worst loss is a quadrant 1. No Q2 through 4 losses.

zagzilla
03-11-2018, 12:51 PM
Another poster turned me on to www.barttorvik.com. Composite rankings that include resume rankings (RPI, KPI, SOR) as well as predictive quality rankings (BPI, SAG, KPom) and calculates all of the Quadrant 1-4 records of every D1 school. Very handy to have al in one place.

Our profile grades out as #12 puts us right on the 4 seed line.

Wichita State is #13, Arizona is #16 which suggests those should be opponents you want to see in the sweet 16 not in the round of 32.

Other 4/5 type teams composite rankings:

WV: #14
Texas Tech #15
Clemson #17
Kentucky #18
OSU #19

The last 3 should be 6's

None of these are pushovers but who would you want to see on a 4/5 game next weekend? I'd take Clemson. Kentucky? No thanks

ZZ

mgadfly
03-11-2018, 01:01 PM
Another poster turned me on to www.barttorvik.com. Composite rankings that include resume rankings (RPI, KPI, SOR) as well as predictive quality rankings (BPI, SAG, KPom) and calculates all of the Quadrant 1-4 records of every D1 school. Very handy to have al in one place.

Our profile grades out as #12 puts us right on the 4 seed line.

Wichita State is #13, Arizona is #16 which suggests those should be opponents you want to see in the sweet 16 not in the round of 32.

Other 4/5 type teams composite rankings:

WV: #14
Texas Tech #15
Clemson #17
Kentucky #18
OSU #19

The last 3 should be 6's

None of these are pushovers but who would you want to see on a 4/5 game next weekend? I'd take Clemson. Kentucky? No thanks

ZZ

I'm loving that site too. My warning would be this, the site is taking the "Resume Ranks" and "Quality Ranks" in equal weight and making a "super avg" to determine a team's overall resume rank. However, based on the Committee's earlier picks for the top 4 seed lines, they seem to be over-valuing the "Resume Ranks" and placing much less weight than we'd hope on the "Quality Ranks."

We are #21, a 6-seed, based on RPI and #20 on the average Quality Rank (the last 5 seed).

raise the zag
03-11-2018, 01:32 PM
Just noticed that San Diego State up to RPI of 63. Means our worst loss is a quadrant 1. No Q2 through 4 losses.

Doubt the Committee even paying attn to these changes at this point.

Their attention on slotting the last few teams in, esp at large bids, etc.

Honestly, our seed was probably decided days ago shortly after punching our ticket.

DixieZag
03-11-2018, 02:01 PM
OMFGZ - A live audience, great. That's just what was needed, distracting excitable people.

Akzag
03-11-2018, 02:03 PM
Wtf ?!

Akzag
03-11-2018, 02:03 PM
Let me the 100th person to say it ... This style sucks.

Reborn
03-11-2018, 06:55 PM
Just like a week ago, the Zags will be a 4 seed in the West Regional. We'll start off in Boise. I'm really excited. I love our Regional Bracket and love being at the top end of the bracket. Arizona also got a 4 seed but the will be in the South Region with a game with Virginia pending.

Go Zags!!!

wazmix
03-11-2018, 07:40 PM
The bracket I saw already had the Thu-Sat/Fri-Sun bracket-matchups through next week. In the past, was this always known? I could swear I'd have to keep the entire 2nd weekend free because the 2nd round wasn't determined.
Yeah, it's getting ahead, but I like knowing the Zags will be going Thurs-Sat, and Thurs-Sat again.

caduceus
03-12-2018, 01:55 PM
Accuracy scores have been posted on Bracketmatrix. And Lunardi once again demonstrated his mediocrity with 75th place, below the average of the aggregate bracket. Worse, Jerry Palm was 80th.