PDA

View Full Version : Josh Perkins ... Appreciation Thread

former1dog
03-07-2018, 11:34 AM
I so enjoyed watching Perkins play the point at the tournament this weekend. He controlled the game so well. I knew he wouldn't make the all tournament team as he wasn't scoring points, but IMO he should have been for quarterbacking these dominant performances by Gonzaga.

He's had some highs and lows this season (and in his career), but he'll end up having a top 10 best season finish in 2 categories when the season is completed in both Assists and Made 3 pointers.

He's an all time great already, IMO, but he is likely to have the 2nd best all time wins total of all Gonzaga Bulldogs when he finishes his career next year.

Congratulations on a great career so far, Josh Perkins!! You aren't done yet and I'm going to enjoy watching the rest of your career here at Gonzaga!

Kong-Kool-Aid
03-07-2018, 11:36 AM
He is getting better and better every game, I have confidence that this whole thing is making sense to him and he's leading the team into the tournament.

thebigsmoove
03-07-2018, 11:37 AM
His heady play over the last half of this season has been paramount to our success. I honestly cant praise Josh enough for his resilience in the face of pressure. He has had to be the only ball handler in so many games this year, and in a way that has really consumed a lot of his time and energy in a year when he was supposed to be "the guy". He has chosen to choose maturity and winning over me-first basketball. Im so impressed by this young man and cannot wait to see him lead this team to another final four this year and next. Thank you Josh for your hard work and selfless team first attitude. You are so important to our program.

TacomaZAG
03-07-2018, 11:41 AM
I so enjoyed watching Perkins play the point at the tournament this weekend. He controlled the game so well. I knew he wouldn't make the all tournament team as he wasn't scoring points, but IMO he should have been for quarterbacking these dominant performances by Gonzaga.

He's had some highs and lows this season (and in his career), but he'll end up having a top 10 best season finish in 2 categories when the season is completed in both Assists and Made 3 pointers.

He's an all time great already, IMO, but he is likely to have the 2nd best all time wins total of all Gonzaga Bulldogs when he finishes his career next year.

Congratulations on a great career so far, Josh Perkins!! You aren't done yet and I'm going to enjoy watching the rest of your career here at Gonzaga!

Great thread F1, couldn't agree more..........

The team, and Josh, are peaking at the right time. I wonder if there is any coincidence there????????????(insert sarcasm emoji)

Go ZAGS

FuManShoes
03-07-2018, 12:29 PM
Word. I'll be the first to admit I yell at JP a lot while watching games on TV when he forces something or misses at the rim, but damn it if he didn't run a clinic this year in self-improvement, blocking out noice/hate, and just doing whatever he needs to do to make those around him better. He knows he's surrounded by talented scorers and is making the reads and hitting guys in their spots. His drives drive me crazy because for whatever reason he isn't a good finisher but last night he was and it helped cue a huge run. The JP-Tillie connection is deadly right now and let's hope it continues. Bottom line is the Zags aren't 30-game winners, aren't regular season champs and aren't WCC Tourney champs without JP taking on a lot of responsibility and cleaning up his game. Thanks, Josh!

TravelinZag
03-07-2018, 12:33 PM
Deserved! Two assists short of a double/double in the WCC final . . . Or should that read farewell?

OntZags
03-07-2018, 12:59 PM
The hate on JP has been so baffling to me. He's been inconsistent at times but he has clearly shown major progress and is playing terrific ball at the perfect time.

His defense goes largely unheralded but he has been on point in the back court defensively. He has really minimized the turnovers and has a very healthy Assist to Turnover ratio. And his 3 point shooting is close to 42% on over 12 PPG. And the offense just runs smoothly with everybody getting involved.

Dude is a baller and I really hope he returns. The people clamouring for his head are going to be in for a rude awakening next season if he opts to turn pro following this season. I like Ayayi's upside but there will be serious growing pains if he's forced into a starter role next season.

DixieZag
03-07-2018, 01:09 PM
Doubts about Josh's value don't survive if one watches what happens the moment he goes to the bench.

It's not that we become a bad team but everything that had looked so smooth quite suddenly becomes difficult, the ball moves slower, guys take passes out of position, passes are one behind where the ball needed to go, the middle is more clogged, it's not like the wheels come off so much as a bunch of air is out of the tires, fast.

Some of it has to just be the presence and experience he brings. Like the other guys feel more "normal" when he's up top, and everyone is in max comfort zone.

Amazing. He's indispensable in a way no other player is.

Zags11
03-07-2018, 01:12 PM
Doubts about Josh's value don't survive if one watches what happens the moment he goes to the bench.

It's not that we become a bad team but everything that had looked so smooth quite suddenly becomes difficult, the ball moves slower, guys take passes out of position, passes are one behind where the ball needed to go, the middle is more clogged, it's not like the wheels come off so much as a bunch of air is out of the tires, fast.

Some of it has to just be the presence and experience he brings. Like the other guys feel more "normal" when he's up top, and everyone is in max comfort zone.

Amazing. He's indispensable in a way no other player is.

110%.

JP is a damn good player.

ZagMan in Philly
03-07-2018, 01:49 PM
Perkins has been so steady, he is our quarterback that will lead us to another Final 4.

billyberu
03-07-2018, 02:27 PM

Congratulations on a great career so far, Josh Perkins!! You aren't done yet and I'm going to enjoy watching the rest of your career here at Gonzaga!+1

Good post and it needs to be said.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Vanzagger
03-07-2018, 02:42 PM
Much Love

Virginia Zags Fan
03-07-2018, 04:24 PM
I really appreciate Josh hanging out and taking pictures with the fans and being a great representative of the University. There are so many good ball players, but it is being a great role model and teammate that makes Josh a great Zag for the ages.

zagbeliever
03-07-2018, 05:10 PM
Josh's tournament stats speak for themselves: 22 assists and only 4 turnovers. We are lucky to have him,plus he is a nice polite kid.

U Zig, I Zag
03-07-2018, 05:43 PM
I love Josh. Glad he is a Zag.

Zagger
03-07-2018, 05:54 PM
Keep Perkin’ Josh! Go Zags!

bballbeachbum
I love Josh. Glad he is a Zag.

+1
great thread, thanks former1dog

https://media.spokesman.com/photos/2014/11/23/spt_23_few-perkins.jpg

northsidezagfan
We will go to another final four while Josh is Zag. My favorite player on this team.

Zags11
03-07-2018, 06:41 PM
Ahhh 5 star thread.

JPtheBeasta
03-07-2018, 06:49 PM
If I calculated it right, Perkins is sitting at 100 wins for his career. Karnowski is the all-time winningest player with 136.

A Sweet 16 or Elite 8 this year gives Perkins a shot at tying or topping Karnowski if he sticks around next year.

CdAZagFan
03-07-2018, 07:04 PM
Josh is definitely under-appreciated. But he has stepped up - and I love his low turnover totals lately and he really seems to be taking command of the floor. Good for him - let's have a great tourney run!

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-08-2018, 02:59 AM
Great thread former! Much needed too as you will notice even after winning WCC tourney some here felt the need to start posting about Josh’s lack of perfection in the postgame analysis thread. Ridiculous.

Perkins is truly the straw that stirs this drink and turns this team into a cohesive unit. We are lucky to have him and desperately need him next year too!

Birddog
03-08-2018, 03:26 AM
Solid and steady improvement throughout the season.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=Awr9CdtRK6FacoYAkLEPxQt.?p=cheering&fr=yhs-pty-pty_converter&fr2=piv-web&hspart=pty&hsimp=yhs-pty_converter&type=co_appfocus1_cr#id=6&vid=163850bb72fd0420a4306050ab73cd35&action=view

Zagger
03-08-2018, 04:32 AM
Few & Co are steadily getting the best team fit & individual performance out of each Zag. Some guys are progressing a bit more quickly than others. Josh being PG is an integral and indispensable asset. When he shines its a domino effect. Pretty much the same goes with J3s rebounding and work around the basket. Dance teams will try and upset Josh but then theyll have to deal with Snax & Silas. All around I feel the rest of the team is helping to make Joshs work a bit easier and more effective. It seems the tentative playing by the team earlier this season is a thing of the past. I really like how Josh & Co respond to coaching after a time out. The teams going to be hard to beat next week and I feel theyll have some great practices between now and then.

RenoZag
03-08-2018, 05:03 AM
If I calculated it right, Perkins is sitting at 100 wins for his career. Karnowski is the all-time winningest player with 136.

SWZag's annual "Records Thread" shows 98 wins so far, JP. . .

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?61277-2017-2018-Records&p=1370232#post1370232

He has a chance to top the list with a deep run this year and a return for his final tear of eligibiity. Hope he decides to come back

JPtheBeasta
03-08-2018, 07:37 AM
SWZag's annual "Records Thread" shows 98 wins so far, JP. . .

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?61277-2017-2018-Records&p=1370232#post1370232

He has a chance to top the list with a deep run this year and a return for his final tear of eligibiity. Hope he decides to come back

And he has Karnowski with one more than I did at 137. I’ll trust his numbers over mine. Either way, it’s been a pretty impressive run for the Zags over the past few years, and Perkins was a big part of it.

23dpg
03-08-2018, 07:47 AM
Definitely appreciate Josh. We shouldn’t need a thread like this but we kinda do. It is nice that we don’t seem to be discussing whether he’s a pg or a leader in every thread recently.

If Josh comes back I think he will own the all time assist record. If he duplicates his total this year it’s going to be real close. I’m assuming a few more games this year Btw.
If he leaves and wants to start making money somewhere, Godspeed young man. I think he’s earned his degree. What more could a fan base ask?

former1dog
03-08-2018, 07:50 AM
Definitely appreciate Josh. We shouldn’t need a thread like this but we kinda do. It is nice that we don’t seem to be discussing whether he’s a pg or a leader in every thread recently.

If Josh comes back I think he will own the all time assist record. If he duplicates his total this year it’s going to be real close. I’m assuming a few more games this year Btw.
If he leaves and wants to start making money somewhere, Godspeed young man. I think he’s earned his degree. What more could a fan base ask?

One more year!!

Just guessing that Josh would probably be in line for a 6 figure Euro contract. Tempting, but just not as valuable as one more year at Gonzaga and the memories he'll make with his teammates. I agree, though, that he deserves the choice and I'll support his decision either way.

gueastcoast
03-08-2018, 07:57 AM
+1 on all. JP is playing great when we need it most

maynard g krebs
03-08-2018, 02:56 PM
A great pg is one who sets others up to shine. Josh is doing that for Tillie, Williams, Norvell. It's no accident that this year's team has a higher offensive rating than last year's, despite the loss of 4 great players from last year's team.

I asked my brother, a Duck fan who pretty much watches the Zags as a neutral observer, what he thought of Josh, and told him some of the criticisms on this board, early in this season. His response: "Perkins is an excellent pg. (Some) people are stupid."

Zagricultural
03-08-2018, 03:03 PM
I've always been a big time Perkins guy, and I sure hope he stays for next year!

bballbeachbum
03-08-2018, 03:38 PM
Josh is definitely under-appreciated. But he has stepped up - and I love his low turnover totals lately and he really seems to be taking command of the floor. Good for him - let's have a great tourney run!

agree, and definitely on the stepping up part. cool to see guys rise like that

NotoriousZ
03-08-2018, 04:07 PM

Yeah we need this thread. You gotta believe that most of the players read the GUBoards. And with all the backhanded compliments and other not so nice stuff he could read here on a daily basis, this thread is long overdue.

We love ya, Josh!

Hoopaholic
03-08-2018, 04:53 PM
He continues to amaze me how he can adjust HIS game and personal stats according to what the team needs and who is on fire yet know when a key basket is needed

Keep it coming josh we have the need to go on a six game win streak lead the way

cggonzaga
03-08-2018, 05:21 PM
A great pg is one who sets others up to shine. Josh is doing that for Tillie, Williams, Norvell. It's no accident that this year's team has a higher offensive rating than last year's, despite the loss of 4 great players from last year's team.

I asked my brother, a Duck fan who pretty much watches the Zags as a neutral observer, what he thought of Josh, and told him some of the criticisms on this board, early in this season. His response: "Perkins is an excellent pg. (Some) people are stupid."

Have an uncle that’s a big time UNC fan. He often compares Perkins to Berry.

JPtheBeasta
03-08-2018, 05:40 PM
Have an uncle that’s a big time UNC fan. He often compares Perkins to Berry.

I can see the comparison.

Hoopaholic
03-08-2018, 05:44 PM
I can see the comparison.

Hoping he follows the footsteps of berry and comes back for his senior year

ZagAddict
03-08-2018, 05:56 PM
Perkins, keep in mind that the goal of a National Championship is within reach. There is plenty to play for at Gonzaga next year. I remember your quote when you decided to come to Gonzaga, "you gotta love the ones that love you." We love you and I hope we get to experience a Senior Night next year with a legendary Josh Perkins' speech. One more year! One more year! One more year!

GrizZAG
03-09-2018, 05:33 AM
I believe Josh has been a key team chemistry builder. He has evolved to become the floor general we hoped he would be and is the guy these players trust. The comments here are confirmation. He will always be a favorite for being a key cog that got us to the first Final Four and beyond in program history. Few trusts him clearly and we should too. Thanks for being a great Zag Josh. My vote asks only one thing. Come back next year!

zagfan24
03-09-2018, 06:08 AM
His whole career trajectory at Gonzaga is pretty incredible.

High expectations as an incoming freshman and was playing well until being unceremoniously kicked in the face, followed by a year of mental and physical recovery and weight loss.

He comes back and has to replace one of the most beloved PG's in Gonzaga history, goes through a trying season only to be a major part of an unexpected Sweet 16 run.

Then gracefully changes positions and willingly accepts a diminished role to accommodate an All-American, and another beloved, point guard. Still plays a major role in Gonzaga's run to the NCAA championship game.

Finally, he comes in this year expected to fill the shoes of said All-American while also facing the departures of a lottery pick freshman and the winningest college basketball player of all time (not to mention Mathews).

And here he is, guiding a 30 win team to a top-10 ranking and another high tournament seed. Cheers to you, Josh.

Marconi
03-09-2018, 08:40 AM
At the beginning of this season Perkins came out shooting becoming one of the most feared guns in the West! I think a lot of teams still see him that way and I'd like to see him embrace this reputation. He has improved so much with his game managment skills and limiting his turnovers that I agree with everyone here that he has become the heart and soul of the team. The only thing he needs to do is take a lesson from Norvell. If you miss or make a mistake, let it go. Like water off a duck's back. Just re-set and do what you do best. Which recently, is pretty much everything.
You are a Bad Ass, and other teams fear you.
Keep remembering that

amaronizag
03-09-2018, 10:36 AM
I was super excited about the future of GU basketball when Josh Perkins committed to GU. When his career was put on hold due to the jaw injury, I knew he would come back better and stronger, and he has. But I still don't think he gets the recognition or respect he deserves locally or nationally. He'll get greater recognition IF we make a deep run this year, and if he continues to perform as he has the last part of this season. If he improves as much next year as he did this year, I think his stock and earning potential will soar. I think his odds of making the NBA or signing a big $$$ Euro contract will be a lot greater if he returns for another year at GU. Leaving early is the right move for some players and a big mistake for others. Josh is one player I think has more to gain by staying for his 4th year of eligibility. He will throw his name into the hat, get feedback, consider the options and make a decision for himself. We probably won't know for a few months. Basketball is a business to many so school records and legacy take a back seat to career earnings and $$$, but in the end, I hope Josh returns and improve his lot is all areas. Regardless of his choices, he is and always will be a great ZAG. Thanks Josh!!!

Kiddwell
03-09-2018, 11:03 AM
Josh's having a great year. Really happy when Josh signed with the Zags. Really happy with his contributions over his term in Spokane. Thanks, Josh!

:000tens: :cheers: :adored:

:]

stevet75
03-09-2018, 12:14 PM
thanks Josh, you got game.

zag67
03-09-2018, 02:40 PM
I also want to thank you for all that you have done for this school. I also want to say hope you have a great finish this year and look forward to following you wherever you end up next year. Hopefully here but can understand that careers are short.

former1dog
03-15-2018, 01:49 PM
One helluva game today from Perkins. Man am I glad he's our point guard!

SWZag
03-15-2018, 01:50 PM

+1000.

jazzdelmar
03-15-2018, 01:53 PM

Agree, F1.

DixieZag
03-15-2018, 02:01 PM
Josh's finest "hour" (minute) -stepping up and just torching that shot early in the clock. It made it "believable" again, and likely made it more likely that Norvelle would hit his. Shooting is contagious, as everyone knows. So are missed shots, especially FTs as we also all know.

sheps001
03-15-2018, 02:04 PM
So Zen. He was totally focused on that shot that tied it. Completely in a zone. And that's how you play to win. Same with Norvell. Totally focused. No emotion no thinking. The shot just happens.
Great great ending. Go Zags.,

whatazag
03-15-2018, 02:18 PM
Perkins huge in that game. His D is seriously underrated, too.

soccerdud
03-15-2018, 02:40 PM
lots of great things to say about his game today, but i particularly enjoyed watching him repeatedly take his time and then calmly break the press.

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-15-2018, 02:46 PM
JP was ready today! Huge shot in crunch time.

Pleasant Peninsula
03-15-2018, 03:17 PM
Agreed. The jumper that he hit to tie the game to some major stones.

GonzaGAW
03-15-2018, 03:51 PM
- got my vote for gu player of the game
- in vegas he passed and passed, let others score, but today rui and Tillie could not get it done, and he steps up and scores 16,......because he can and it was necessary this game.

Kong-Kool-Aid
03-17-2018, 08:15 PM
Hell of a game today, just keep getting better and better. 10 points, 8 assists, 100% leadership.

Alum08
03-17-2018, 09:11 PM
JP had a hell of a game. Every heard of "God of the gaps?" Well, he is the guard of the gaps IMO. He fills every role that we need him to, and adapts on the fly.

23dpg
03-17-2018, 09:13 PM
Josh Perkins is the most essential player on the team. No other player can quite fill his roll. Everyone else, even the stars, have a player who could fill their position if they get in foul trouble or are injured.

Zag79
03-18-2018, 12:34 AM
Dude is a stud, and running this team so smoothly. Its a luxury to watch a guy like him play the position.

Birddog
03-18-2018, 04:02 AM
Josh has steadily improved his play since January. His decision making now is off the charts good and he has almost totally eliminated "off" plays.

JAGzag
03-18-2018, 04:13 AM
Hell of a game today, just keep getting better and better. 10 points, 8 assists, 100% leadership.

Boy, I was a JP doubter all year; just seemed prone to too many bonehead plays. But what a year he's had and has REALLY locked down his role for the team. He looks to be having so much fun out there. Those stats are EXACTLY what we need this time of year - feed the weapons and when they're struggling, do your thing. Congrats to Josh!!

LongIslandZagFan
03-18-2018, 05:18 AM
Josh exudes confidence. He was the coolest cat on the court... never fazed.

zagfan24
03-18-2018, 05:49 AM
Josh has steadily improved his play since January. His decision making now is off the charts good and he has almost totally eliminated "off" plays.

Yep. He has impressively continued to make some nice plays while reigning in the turnovers. I’m so impressed with his decision making and game control.

Goshzagit
03-18-2018, 05:55 AM
Yep. He has impressively continued to make some nice plays while reigning in the turnovers. Im so impressed with his decision making and game control.

and so is Coach Few.

Took time out of the post-game pressor to single-out Perkins, not once, but twice when asked about how great Rui, Norvell, et al were...

"Hey, who gets lost in all this is Josh Perkins, he has been...well....terrific for us since that last home game vs St Marys. He has flash to his game, and he values it, yet puts aside to continue making winning plays for us time and time again. I mean 8 assists, 2 TO's this game. Really really managing the game, finding guys in the right spots, getting us set, just been great..."

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-18-2018, 06:14 AM
Josh had another great game against Ohio State.

He has really improved over the course of this season. He has a lot of talented players around him. He does a great job of feeding them when and where they are in the best position to score.

Goshzagit
03-18-2018, 06:23 AM
honestly, given Josh's knack for managing the game the latter part of this season, and making smart plays/passes consistently, he's on an upward trend.

IF he decides to stay next season, work on a floater, finishing in the lane, getting a bit stronger, he has a serious shot at finding a Jason Kidd type role at the next level.

All Josh really needs is to be a threat in the lane, and to develop a floater. I feel if he spent an entire off-season doing it, he could fine a niche in the League.

His ball handling is blue chip, vision, passing, even shooting (although since his bangs have fallen in his eyes, his shot hasn't been the same, no joke). Just needs to be a threat to score on the dribble-drive, and he's something very special. Rare.

Joel Berry is considered a late 2nd Round lock to NBA. I think Perkins is better than him. Similar, but Perkins has more "game". Joel just more consistent scorer.

kitzbuel
03-18-2018, 06:24 AM
I selected him as my GUnit because of his steady constant play. He is a star now.

gonstu
03-18-2018, 06:27 AM
Man, he's playing great.

bartruff1
03-18-2018, 06:29 AM
Indispensable ...the only player that Gonzaga can not do without....

75Zag
03-18-2018, 07:08 AM
Congratulations to Perkins. He played one of the best games of his career at a critical time yesterday.
On the other hand, "appreciation" threads directed at specific players always cause me to feel a bit uneasy. My new car has 6 cylinders, and while I greatly appreciate the work that cylinder #3 has been doing for me lately, I am pretty sure I would be screwed if any of the other 5 weren't working along side the much-appreciated #3. And so, like my kids, I appreciate all of my cylinders - and GU players - equally.

Go Bulldogs!

vandalzag
03-18-2018, 07:13 AM
Not bad for a SG :fingergun: Josh has been great and is really pushing this team to another level. Really has found when to pick his spots. The team is clicking and his play is the major reason. It has been fun to watch.

thespywhozaggedme
03-18-2018, 07:22 AM
I really hope he chooses to come back next year; Josh, Zach, Rui, Cory, Brandon, Larsen, etc. is a top 5 team.

Goshzagit
03-18-2018, 07:29 AM
I really hope he chooses to come back next year; Josh, Zach, Rui, Cory, Brandon, Larsen, etc. is a top 5 team.

Larsen.

Needs to get that knee fixed in the off-season. A hopeful suggestion, not a diagnosis.

He has 'tweaked' it twice this season. No structural damage, yet gotta wonder about scar tissue given the severity of his injury the first go around.

He definitely favors it.

I feel he has a chance to be special, yet when he can barely cut, pivot, or launch of his repaired knee, it will hold him back.

I hope he receives the best treatment and advice this off-season. Based on previous issues, and what I've seen day to day, it needs more than just rest -- a minor clean up but still...a guy his size and style needs both knees to be healthy.

bballbeachbum
03-18-2018, 07:33 AM
such a pleasure to read all of these posts this morning, very happy for Josh :)

zagcheer78
03-18-2018, 07:44 AM
Gotta love what Josh does!

NotoriousZ
03-18-2018, 07:53 AM
Not bad for a SG :fingergun: Josh has been great and is really pushing this team to another level. Really has found when to pick his spots. The team is clicking and his play is the major reason. It has been fun to watch.

Wheres Abe? Did he get banned or take himself off? Either way Im sure hes enjoying this tourney run.

Way to go Josh! This has been wonderful to watch all season long. Cant wait for the next game!

NEC26
03-18-2018, 08:05 AM
Josh played really well. He is best as a facilitator not the main scoring threat. He is getting to the point were he really knows how to manage this team very well and plays very good defense.

Samiam
03-18-2018, 08:06 AM
I'd like to hear from Abe again too. He was one of the best posters a lot longer than he's been one of the worst.

rennis
03-18-2018, 08:45 AM
Yup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maynard g krebs
03-18-2018, 12:05 PM
Congratulations to Perkins. He played one of the best games of his career at a critical time yesterday.
On the other hand, "appreciation" threads directed at specific players always cause me to feel a bit uneasy. My new car has 6 cylinders, and while I greatly appreciate the work that cylinder #3 has been doing for me lately, I am pretty sure I would be screwed if any of the other 5 weren't working along side the much-appreciated #3. And so, like my kids, I appreciate all of my cylinders - and GU players - equally.

Go Bulldogs!

The difference is that nobody has been gratuitously (and incorrectly) complaining about the functioning of cylinder 3. A few, let's say poorly informed created the need for a thread like this one.

jazzdelmar
03-18-2018, 12:09 PM
Big critic here, but he’s shut my trap. Playing brilliantly. Still, he may need to shoot a bit more next game.

Birddog
03-18-2018, 12:20 PM
Big critic here, but he’s shut my trap. Playing brilliantly. Still, he may need to shoot a bit more next game.

Good for you Jazz. Given your critical eye I was curious about your recent silence on this matter.

Hoopaholic
03-18-2018, 02:09 PM
Big critic here, but hes shut my trap. Playing brilliantly. Still, he may need to shoot a bit more next game.

One of his biggest growths over the season is taking what d gives him.

Zags11
03-19-2018, 10:18 AM
https://www.slipperstillfits.com/2018/3/19/17137940/ncaa-tournament-2018-josh-perkins-gonzaga-bulldogs-sweet-16?utm_campaign=slipperstillfits&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Pretty solid article.

former1dog
03-23-2018, 08:13 AM
I'll be praying that Josh decides to come back to Gonzaga for next season. I'll acknowledge that he certainly doesn't owe it to us fans or to Gonzaga to return. He has fulfilled his obligation, he will have his degree and I won't be critical if he decides to forego his final year of eligibility. His is already arguably the most storied PG career in our school's history, but if he returns he will definitely have the opportunity to win the NCAA Championship and create an unmatched legacy here at Gonzaga.

Birddog
03-23-2018, 09:12 AM
I'll be praying that Josh decides to come back to Gonzaga for next season. I'll acknowledge that he certainly doesn't owe it to us fans or to Gonzaga to return. He has fulfilled his obligation, he will have his degree and I won't be critical if he decides to forego his final year of eligibility. His is already arguably the most storied PG career in our school's history, but if he returns he will definitely have the opportunity to win the NCAA Championship and create an unmatched legacy here at Gonzaga.

Though not a direct quote, this is what USA Today said in their piece on Josh

Perkins came to Spokane with a lofty goal: He wants to be remembered as the best point guard in Gonzaga history.

That sounds virtually impossible, and borderline crazy, when you consider that the most famous Zag of all time is John Stockton, the NBA’s all-time leader in assists and steals. But the list after Stockton is daunting, too. Perkins measures himself against past greats like Matt Santangelo, Dan Dickau, Blake Stepp, Derek Raivio, Jeremy Pargo and David Stockton (son of John), among others.

If this is his goal, he'll be back.

bigblahla
03-23-2018, 09:19 AM
Decided to wait until the season was over to post in this thread....in our house JP has been known as loopy for the past few years up until midway this season....why...those loopy passes to no one that should never have been made....statically he is one of the best ever at GU....but why did I never feel comfortable when he had the ball?.....his demeanor never has given me confidence until recently....we no longer call him loopy....he has grown both on and off the court.....the Zags would not have had the success that they achieved without Josh....his growth reminds me of Pargo's and I expect he is going to become an even better player as he gets it now....it's not about the homers....it's about the singles, valuing the ball and making the right play....I really do hope he returns but if he doesn't I wish him the best and at least in our household he will be considered one of the best PGs to play at Gonzaga....count me as a JP convert....Thanks Josh...

Go!! Zags!!!

realtydog
03-23-2018, 09:25 AM
really really want to see this kid to play one more year here!!!!!

bartruff1
03-23-2018, 09:37 AM
He is solid....but can't imagine he will ever be considered the best point guard....... hanging his number next to Burgess and Stockton .....

spike_jr
03-23-2018, 11:12 AM
Of all the players, I thought Josh made the biggest leap this season. In my opinion, the strengths of this year's team were so much different than any team we have had in recent years and definitely since Josh has been here. We had no 7-0" center and instead were playing an undersized PF in the post (and we know Few loves running O through the post). We had athletic wings with size. We had more guys that were willing and capable to drive the ball to the basket. I really think it took time for Few & Co time to figure out how to coach to THIS TEAMS strengths/potential and once they did and got everybody on the same page, the one responsible to executing the plan was Josh. And in my opinion, he adjusted his game and really did a great job. As the only true PG that Few was comfortable with, he logged a lot of minutes and was the engine that drove the team. His contributions to this year's success are immeasurable. Selfishly, I hope he comes back. If not, I can only say thank you and wish him the best.

MDABE80
03-23-2018, 11:46 AM
Abe thinks he grew into a very good player both as a Shooting guard and Point guard. he blossomed in the last 3rd of the season. If you look at his data from the first half of the season and the 2nd half of the season, there was not big change. Nothing real different from last season either.
Sometimes the data doesn't tell the full story though. Josh learned how to manage the team. He learned spacing, not to do crazy passes, and just manage. it showed. All those thing a great PG does, he now does.
I do hope he returns. If we get Zach moving to be thee superior shooter and find someone who can work with Josh, We'll be a strong FF candidate.

VaBeachZAG
03-24-2018, 07:49 AM
If we get Zach moving to be thee superior shooter and find someone who can work with Josh, We'll be a strong FF candidate.

I would love to see an elite point/combo guard grad transfer come in to compliment JP. Success next season will depend heavily on superior back court play. Sorry, but I don't feel comfortable gambling on the 2 being primarily covered with unproven talent (i.e., Ayayi or Wade). We really need to firm up that 2 slot. I think the best place for ZN and CK is to share the 3 with maybe occasional time at the 2. Hope Tillie stays, but one way or the other, I hope he declares his intention relatively soon because we will need a high quality replacement for him as well if he leaves.

Alum08
03-24-2018, 09:23 AM
I would love to see an elite point/combo guard grad transfer come in to compliment JP. Success next season will depend heavily on superior back court play. Sorry, but I don't feel comfortable gambling on the 2 being primarily covered with unproven talent (i.e., Ayayi or Wade). We really need to firm up that 2 slot. I think the best place for ZN and CK is to share the 3 with maybe occasional time at the 2. Hope Tillie stays, but one way or the other, I hope he declares his intention relatively soon because we will need a high quality replacement for him as well if he leaves.Zach should not be playing the 3. He is so clearly a SG. Kispert, yes, especially due to his defensive woes on the perimeter.

And if we return everyone next season, how could ZN possibly get in at the 3? There's no room for him there. JP, ZN, Rui, Clarke, Tillie. That's the starting lineup unless CK makes some huge strides and pushes Rui back to the 4. Do you know what it will mean to our team defense if we have Rui at the 3? That's his natural position with his mid-range game. Every player would be at his natural (and professional) position, with Tillie being the "odd" exception at the modern 4, and Clarke at the legacy 4.

former1dog
04-11-2018, 04:31 PM
All the pieces are now in place for Perkins to be the greatest PG (statistically/wins) in Gonzaga history!!!

Zagdawg
04-11-2018, 07:06 PM
Josh Linke

@josh_linke
46m46 minutes ago
More Josh Linke Retweeted Jim Meehan
“We’re going to be really good. We were good this year and we proved some people wrong, but I think now we’ll have the respect going in. It’s our job not to let up and keep getting better over the summer.” - Josh Perkins

GeorgiaZagFan
04-11-2018, 08:46 PM
All the pieces are now in place for Perkins to be the greatest PG (statistically/wins) in Gonzaga history!!!

..not to mention that over the last 5 games (3 in NCAA and 2 in WCC tournaments) Perkins had 30 assists to 9 turnovers ...I like that ratio!!!!

Hooray4Daye&Gray
04-11-2018, 08:56 PM
Josh Linke

@josh_linke
46m46 minutes ago
Were going to be really good. We were good this year and we proved some people wrong, but I think now well have the respect going in. Its our job not to let up and keep getting better over the summer. - Josh Perkins

Why are you posting this? Who is Josh Linke?

Radbooks
04-11-2018, 09:04 PM
How knows who Josh Linke is, but the important part is that he is RETWEETING the guy from the Spokesman-Review which indicates that Josh will return next year. It was from his article about Tillie:

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/apr/11/forward-killian-tillie-returning-for-junior-season/

raise the zag
04-11-2018, 09:28 PM
Josh Linke

@josh_linke
46m46 minutes ago
“We’re going to be really good. We were good this year and we proved some people wrong, but I think now we’ll have the respect going in. It’s our job not to let up and keep getting better over the summer.”

Who knows who Josh Linke is, but the important part is that he is RETWEETING the guy from the Spokesman-Review which indicates that Josh will return next year.

In Josh Linke We Trust.

:lmao:

MileHigh
04-17-2018, 09:34 AM
One thing that the team had kept quiet (for obvious reasons) is that Josh has been playing with a significantly torn labrum in his right shoulder. He has not been able to fully extend his arm without excruciating pain for the last two seasons. It popped out quite a few times last season in the middle of games and it would pop back in or they would manipulate it back in so he could keep playing. He has needed surgery but didn't want to sit out so he played with the pain, despite the fact that it did limit his game. He is finally going to have surgery later this week. While non-athletes can take 6 months or more to get back after labrum surgery, Josh's doctors are predicting he should be able to get back to full go (contact) in 4-5 months. Hope is that he will be 100% for 1st official practices in October.

GoZags
04-17-2018, 09:38 AM
Great news MH. Thanks for sharing. Josh has his work ahead of him but he’s proven he’s tough. I still shudder when I think about the kick that broke his jaw.
One thing that the team had kept quiet (for obvious reasons) is that Josh has been playing with a significantly torn labrum in his right shoulder. He has not been able to fully extend his arm without excruciating pain for the last two seasons. It popped out quite a few times last season in the middle of games and it would pop back in or they would manipulate it back in so he could keep playing. He has needed surgery but didn't want to sit out so he played with the pain, despite the fact that it did limit his game. He is finally going to have surgery later this week. While non-athletes can take 6 months or more to get back after labrum surgery, Josh's doctors are predicting he should be able to get back to full go (contact) in 4-5 months. Hope is that he will be 100% for 1st official practices in October.

thebigsmoove
04-17-2018, 09:49 AM

The lead writer and owner of that old site, Zagaholic.com (http://zagaholic.blogspot.com/?_sm_au_=iHVQjVSnJnk4VFkQ). He also consulted at Slipper for a little while. Pretty awesome all around good guy. Handsome too. Me. :roll:

In Josh Linke We Trust.

:lmao:

I dont even trust myself. Why do you trust me?

strikenowhere
04-17-2018, 09:51 AM

I obviously wish a speedy recovery for Josh here and I imagine that this settles once and for all any conjecture that he is leaving? I would assume that as long as he is a student then the school's athletic insurance would be paying for the surgery and recovery/rehab?

JPtheBeasta
04-17-2018, 09:52 AM
Finishing at the rim has to be a big challenge if you can't extend your shoulder all of the way.

Zagceo
04-17-2018, 10:00 AM
Finishing at the rim has to be a big challenge if you can't extend your shoulder all of the way.

gotta believe whole game suffers.. knowing you're one bad extension from locker room adjustment ...could be defense... passing... hard pick...shooting.

MileHigh
04-17-2018, 10:01 AM

Yep. His shoulder popped out once during the tourney when all he did was reach with his right arm to save a ball going out of bounds.

It was definitely time to get it fixed. Pray for a speedy recovery and I think you guys will see a totally different player next year when it comes to attacking to basket.

Hoopaholic
04-17-2018, 10:11 AM
Hope Josh gets healed up and have an exceptional senior year big things coming your way...............cant even imagine how he played through with that type of injury

MileHigh
04-17-2018, 10:14 AM
...............cant even imagine how he played through with that type of injury

That is exactly what the Doctor said after MRI. Couldn't believe he had been playing with that severe of a tear

23dpg
04-17-2018, 10:18 AM
That is exactly what the Doctor said after MRI. Couldn't believe he had been playing with that severe of a tear

Been there done that. I wait too long to get my labrum fixed (screws) and have a bit of a frozen shoulder.
Good luck Josh!

Hoopaholic
04-17-2018, 10:29 AM

especially his position and amount of time ball in his hand over total playing minutes....wow

MDABE80
04-17-2018, 10:33 AM
I had that. Went on with my life till I couldn't turn the wheel to drive. Among the most painful, limiting injuries anyone could have. If the repair is done through a scope ( usually) recovery goes faster. Hope our guy recovers quickly. Even a quick change in direction causes huge pain. But ya can't extend your arm or usually get it up over your head much. If you reach around to touch your belt in the back is a "no go". I'm surpised he pulled it off this long. Best wishes for a nice recovery.....not to be rushed.

sittingon50
04-17-2018, 10:34 AM
Best of luck with the rehab, Josh.

thebigsmoove
04-17-2018, 10:45 AM
I think this is the first time in forever that i am glad there is such a long layoff between seasons. Perk will have plenty of time to heal up and be ready to go for next season.

tummydoc
04-17-2018, 10:50 AM
Maybe this explains the hard press for Williams, more playing time than we had imagined

Kong-Kool-Aid
04-17-2018, 11:03 AM
Does his insurance as a student athlete at Gonzaga pay for the operation?

Zagdawg
04-17-2018, 11:21 AM
Take time and heal up -- will have a great senior year. Also wasn't there rumors about Jesse Wade needing some work done on his shoulders?

raise the zag
04-17-2018, 11:25 AM
Someone said to me like 6 or 7 dislocations since he's been here.

That's wild! Tough kid.

Remember how tough he was after the jaw injury.

Josh will be very limited all off season. Probably won't begin playing bball again until September or even October.

I recall his shoulder dislocating vs UW, and the entire team didn't even blink. They already knew and experienced it. Even Perkins was non chalant about it, when it was clearly out of socket.

I knew then it was pretty bad.

Happy he is having it repaired. Prognosis is mixed on these type of surgeries, yet I'm sure he has one of the best ortho docs and athletes seem to heal better than the rest.

Heal quickly and we'll see you soon JP.

Zags11
04-17-2018, 11:26 AM
What a stud. A damn sports warrior.

raise the zag
04-17-2018, 11:32 AM
Maybe this explains the hard press for Williams, more playing time than we had imagined

In the beginning of the year, absolutely. Coaches recognize a dire need for another ball handler.

Once labrums are repaired, it's imperative it's not re injured. A subsequent injury, or dislocation post-op is generally worse or tougher to recover from than if the patient decided to let it go.

We need to keep him healthy, yet Coaching staff aware, IF an injury occurred or surgery didnt go as planned...we desperately need a Plan B. Or a back up.

Joel Ayayi is talented yet not ready and while fast/atheltic/skilled/talented, his ball handling was his biggest weakness coming in. Bad habit of dribbling away from his body.

However most people can't catch him steal it, so open court not an issue, yet half court is. Still a work in progress but the best on ball defender we have, so he will play.

Still need amother PG. More than ever.

At this point, B Will could compete with Pritchard and Richardson, or come in and be the man from Day 1. Seems like an easy choice, not to mention a couple bigs who are proven and make him look good.

But not sure he sees it that way, more enamored by coming in with a group of unproven frosh talent and having friends on the same level.

If not, B Will, then Joe Cremo is more than capable. I like his game a ton.

GonzagasaurusFlex
04-17-2018, 12:14 PM
Wow. This news is a real bummer but sure wishing JP the best w his recovery. As commendable as his toughness and willingness to suffer through the injury for the sake of his team that so obviously needed him is, I guess there’s only person more eager for Josh to recover completely and be ready to go for his final year than Josh himself... the doctor / medical staff that cleared him to play through it for so long. Surprising

jazzdelmar
04-17-2018, 12:19 PM
Wondering if this news was just disclosed as an inducement to BW or other Hamlets?

OntZags
04-17-2018, 12:26 PM
Wondering if this news was just disclosed as an inducement to BW or other Hamlets?

Jeez Jazz, can't you hold off your grievances as a spurned lover until after we get rejected?

jazzdelmar
04-17-2018, 12:32 PM
Jeez Jazz, can't you hold off your grievances as a spurned lover until after we get rejected?

Preemptive grief.

DixieZag
04-17-2018, 12:55 PM

Interesting thought.

If so, it's just Josh being a team player again. Seems like something he's wanted to keep private, and yet IF this was something that they wanted floated as "incentive" to others, then they'd have to get his "okay" and he did.

Whether it is or isn't part of some larger strategy, it doesn't change that I'm sure we all want Josh as healthy as possible, and he's nothing if not tough, so, Zag-up again, leader. He'll have full support here.

MileHigh
04-17-2018, 01:38 PM

Seeing as how I am the one that "broke the news" I can say that there was no underlying reason other than the surgery is in a couple of days so I figured I would fill y'all in before the rumor mill started turning about the type, severity, etc relating to his surgery. I have no idea what the school was going to say (if anything) about his surgery. I know with HIPPA they are kind of limited in what they can say about medical procedures

jazzdelmar
04-17-2018, 01:44 PM
Seeing as how I am the one that "broke the news" I can say that there was no underlying reason other than the surgery is in a couple of days so I figured I would fill y'all in before the rumor mill started turning about the type, severity, etc relating to his surgery. I have no idea what the school was going to say (if anything) about his surgery. I know with HIPPA they are kind of limited in what they can say about medical procedures

Asked and answered. Thanks.

MDABE80
04-17-2018, 04:05 PM
Asked and answered. Thanks.

HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996) is United States legislation that provides data privacy and security provisions for safeguarding medical information

tyra
04-17-2018, 06:15 PM
Perversely, good news. This could be a season-ending injury next year at any time. BTW, I was in the fourth row at UW when his shoulder popped out. I would have bet a lot of money Josh would not have been able to return. I have had the deep-cut (non-scope) labrum surgery and he’s going to need the healing time. I’m real glad they’re getting on this as quickly as they have.

El Zag
04-17-2018, 06:59 PM
What about Jesse Wade ?

thespywhozaggedme
04-17-2018, 07:30 PM
I mentioned this before, I tore my right labrum and it took over a year to fully heal after surgery. Of course I wasn't a high major college athlete.

scrooner
04-17-2018, 07:40 PM
What about Jesse Wade ?

That deserves its own thread. I wonder how he's doing.

bballbeachbum
04-19-2018, 07:59 PM

thanks man

Chicken Ball
04-20-2018, 08:14 AM
This news from MileHigh is almost unbelievable to me. I tore my labrum playing basketball a couple years ago and the pain was excruciating. I couldn't move my arm more than a few inches for two weeks, and it took several months for me to regain a full range of motion. For Josh to have had the excellent year he had playing with this type of injury is mind blowing; it also makes me very excited to see what a fully healthy Josh could be capable of next year. Speedy recovery!

Zagdawg
04-20-2018, 10:39 AM
Lindsay Joy

@SWXLindsayJoy
4m4 minutes ago
More
Gonzaga senior guard Josh Perkins will undergo arthroscopic surgery on his right shoulder today. Injury had been a recurring issue.

Zagdawg
04-20-2018, 10:40 AM
Jim Meehan

@SRJimm
3m3 minutes ago
More
Gonzaga's Josh Perkins is undergoing surgery today to repair a recurring right shoulder injury. Perk: "I’m excited to return for my senior year stronger."

Hoopaholic
04-20-2018, 11:11 AM
God speed for successful surgery and a solid recovery

Looking forward to josh leadership and play his senior year. Going to be challenging and fun

gonstu
04-20-2018, 11:12 AM
Jim Meehan

@SRJimm
3m3 minutes ago
More
Gonzaga's Josh Perkins is undergoing surgery today to repair a recurring right shoulder injury. Perk: "I’m excited to return for my senior year stronger."

I know others have hinted he'd be back or said there's no need to worry about an early leave, but this is what I've been waiting for. Go Zags, gonna be a fun year!

thespywhozaggedme
04-20-2018, 11:30 AM
I know others have hinted he'd be back or said there's no need to worry about an early leave, but this is what I've been waiting for. Go Zags, gonna be a fun year!

Are you waiting for Jesse Wades announcement that he's returning too? lol You've mentioned several times that you need confirmation regarding Perk. You decided to believe interweb rumors and then needed confirmation to refute them. lol

Zagdawg
04-20-2018, 12:42 PM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/apr/20/gonzagas-josh-perkins-expects-to-be-ready-for-seni/

thespywhozaggedme
04-20-2018, 01:41 PM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/apr/20/gonzagas-josh-perkins-expects-to-be-ready-for-seni/

As I have mentioned several times before I had shoulder surgery to repair my torn labrum as well and while not a major college athlete, I have been and I'm still in pretty good shape and it took me over a year to fully recover. I just don't know how he will be ready for the start of the season.

gonstu
04-20-2018, 04:49 PM
Are you waiting for Jesse Wades announcement that he's returning too? lol You've mentioned several times that you need confirmation regarding Perk. You decided to believe interweb rumors and then needed confirmation to refute them. lol

Yes, on pins and needles.

thespywhozaggedme
04-20-2018, 04:51 PM
Yes, on pins and needles.

Ha!

5280Zag
04-27-2018, 09:07 PM
I feel for Josh, having had numerous dislocations myself plus two children (one a D1 athlete) with the same problem (4 shoulder surgeries between them). Super painful, but the worst thing is the ongoing feeling of instability and being unable to rely on the shoulder joint, so it's amazing he played as long as he did. Recovery for surgical repair of the labrum (whether arthroscopic or open Latarjet procedure) is about 4-5 months to return to sport, with good rehab and motivation, which Josh will definitely have. As for insurance, it's my experience that D1 programs have supplemental insurance to cover surgeries and rehab over and above the student's regular health insurance. Plus, their rehab is right there on campus, so that makes the recovery process pretty seamless. He's in good hands and should be good to go in the fall.

former1dog
11-16-2018, 09:16 AM

Doubling down on this post for the season! Love me some Josh Perkins as the floor general for another potential final four run!

Zags_Fanatic
11-16-2018, 09:40 AM
Doubling down on this post for the season! Love me some Josh Perkins as the floor general for another potential final four run!

Yes! Josh deserves all the love this season. MileHigh must be beaming at the way Josh is playing right now. Josh will end his career as one of the all-time great Gonzaga PGs at or near the top of every category in the record books.

ZagsObserver
11-16-2018, 09:43 AM
Yes! Josh deserves all the love this season. MileHigh must be beaming at the way Josh is playing right now. Josh will end his career as one of the all-time great Gonzaga PGs at or near the top of every category in the record books.

Agreed

former1dog
11-16-2018, 09:46 AM

Will Josh be the all time winningest PG in NCAA history?

TexasZagFan
11-16-2018, 10:35 AM
Will Josh be the all time winningest PG in NCAA history?

He's probably the leader in stealing kids' hats...lol!

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q417/richkinley/IMG_1769_zpsjt4ylf72.jpg (http://s350.photobucket.com/user/richkinley/media/IMG_1769_zpsjt4ylf72.jpg.html)

Then again, Jesse Wade's then-fiance also "borrowed it".

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q417/richkinley/IMG_1782_zpssdnfjdoo.jpg (http://s350.photobucket.com/user/richkinley/media/IMG_1782_zpssdnfjdoo.jpg.html)

thespywhozaggedme
11-16-2018, 10:38 AM
Anyone else think he has a future in coaching? I totally can see him as a grad assistant.

Zagceo
11-17-2018, 06:53 AM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/nov/15/gonzaga-guard-josh-perkins-hits-500-assist-mark-in/

https://media.spokesman.com/photos/2018/11/15/Josh_Perkins_500_assists.jpg

Markburn1
11-17-2018, 06:59 AM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/nov/15/gonzaga-guard-josh-perkins-hits-500-assist-mark-in/

https://media.spokesman.com/photos/2018/11/15/Josh_Perkins_500_assists.jpg

Romans 8:28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

Kid has his head on straight.

Zagceo
11-28-2018, 08:36 AM
“Josh has done a great job of settling us down, especially on the offensive end,” Few said. “He’s done a really good job of getting us in the right spot, making the right decisions and playing with great pace.”

“Early (on), you ride the highs and feel the lows,” Perkins said. “But now I know and tell myself and the guys to stay levelheaded.”

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/nov/27/gonzaga-rewind-bulldogs-offense-josh-perkins-makin/

bigblahla
12-02-2018, 10:14 AM
Josh is the engine that pulls the train.... incredible growth in his decision making.... he has carved his name into Gonzaga lore as one of the best point guards to ever play for the Zags.... nothing but respect for Mr. Josh Perkins....

Go!! Zags!!!

JPtheBeasta
12-02-2018, 12:31 PM
547 Assists, per the Spokesman stats page on the website. 668 is the magic number to tie for all-time.

As an aside, does anyone know somebody high enough in the newspaper to get them to change their stat sheets on the main page? They display all of the stats without any headings to know what your looking at (this is not a problem on the individual player pages).

Zagceo
12-02-2018, 12:59 PM
Congrats Perk

https://gozags.com/news/2018/12/1/mens-basketball-perkins-named-senior-class-award-candidate.aspx

Zagsker
12-02-2018, 01:53 PM
Although I am annoyed by Perkins and his insesent complaining after every foul he is called on...the dude is a gamer and is stud in running our O

Zaglaw
12-02-2018, 03:51 PM
Although I am annoyed by Perkins and his insesent complaining after every foul he is called on...the dude is a gamer and is stud in running our O

He really has cleaned that up this year and is providing leadership on that issue for the whole team. He definitely has come of age. I'm very impressed.

former1dog
12-03-2018, 11:22 AM
Note that Josh Perkins was the WCC player of the week.

Josh is playing his best basketball in the toughest games. Love it!

former1dog
02-22-2019, 06:57 AM
I'm certain its obvious by now that Josh Perkins is one of my favorite players not only on this team, but ever in a GU uniform.

By the numbers. Wins, tournament success, personal statistics, he is one of the greatest point guards to ever lace them up at Gonzaga. Perhaps if he finishes the season the way we all want him and our beloved Gonzaga Bulldogs to finish the season he'll be considered the greatest!?

To think, some prominent posters on this board refused to acknowledge he was even a good point guard up to the start of this season!

Hooray4Daye&Gray
02-22-2019, 07:12 AM
I'm certain its obvious by now that Josh Perkins is one of my favorite players not only on this team, but ever in a GU uniform.

By the numbers. Wins, tournament success, personal statistics, he is one of the greatest point guards to ever lace them up at Gonzaga. Perhaps if he finishes the season the way we all want him and our beloved Gonzaga Bulldogs to finish the season he'll be considered the greatest!?

To think, some prominent posters on this board refused to acknowledge he was even a good point guard up to the start of this season!

GU fans have been lucky to have an incredible list of fantastic players to root for. That said, there's an opening for greatest Zag of all time, and my favorite Zag of all time, just waiting to be filled by whoever leads us to our first national championship. In my book, whoever claims that title first will never have it relinquished.

Hoopaholic
02-22-2019, 07:38 AM
the young man has done everything he can to support his teammaters, the program and his coaching staff. He has grown tremendously over the last 5 years and I have truly enjoyed qwatching him mature as a human being, citizen and basketball player. From being willing to move off ball during our run with NWg to his leadership on the court and willing to engage others at the "detriment" to his personal statistics he is what I would classify as a "perfect" point guard and puts Zags back in discussion of Guard U.

We are goign to miss him i n more ways than most of us realize...but before that I am going to continue to enjoy this years journey

former1dog
04-01-2019, 11:53 AM

Yep. And statistically speaking Josh Perkins is the greatest PG in Gonzaga history. (Just so you knuckleheads understand, I'm not saying he's better than the Utah Jazz John Stockton, but he had a much better college career than John Stockton the college PG at Gonzaga)

jazzdelmar
04-01-2019, 12:01 PM
To wit, Josh took 120 fewer LD shots than Norvell this year. That's nuts. Arguably the best shooter on the team, Josh would have averaged 20 ppg if he took that many. And I also think he'd still be a dandy set-up man. Josh's unselfishness is off the charts.

DixieZag
04-01-2019, 12:05 PM
As I think about next year's team ….

I dearly miss him already.

But it was a joy to get to know him.

Guy suits up in a Zag jersey and immediately gets kicked in the mouth for his troubles.

Got off the matt and became our leading assist leader of all time. Hats off, and thank you.

Zagceo
04-01-2019, 01:34 PM
i gave Mr Perk a fist bump after the FSU in the concourse of Honda Center. He was holding court with friends surrounding him as I was racing by with a quick swipe. Feels good when Zag fans connect without one word exchanged....2 wide grins said it all.

They replayed the block of Josh's in the arena and it was clean...watch and listen on DVR the crowd reacts with groan and boos. I notice the TV broadcast didn't show that replay.

Thanks for the memories Josh.

bballbeachbum
04-01-2019, 01:42 PM
in the pantheon of all time college favorites for me

LTownZag
04-01-2019, 01:58 PM
Did anyone else have slightly higher hopes for Josh's shooting percentages this year, following his shoulder surgery? I'm surprised that he ended at a career low from 3 with fewer attempts than either of the 2 years prior. Maybe being unselfish isn't always a good thing.

Many of the pre-season questions and predictions centered around his health and many of the predictions were wrong.

He started from Day 1, and only played 90 seconds less per game than he had pre-surgery. It was great to see him healthy.

But he took almost 2 fewer 3pt attempts per game (5.7 to 3.9) and shot them for a career low 36.6%.

That being said, he had his two worst games (in my view opinion) early on, against Illinois (season high in TOs and fouls) and Tennessee (0 points, 0-6 in a 3pt loss). He was great overall in the over big games, including 20 @ UNC, and averaging 12 points, 5 assists, 2 steals, and 1.9 TOs in the tournament.

scrooner
04-01-2019, 04:45 PM
in the pantheon of all time college favorites for me

Yep. Beautiful jump shot, excellent vision. Even in his mistakes I just loved watching him grow as a player and as a man.

gonzagafan62
04-01-2019, 04:59 PM
Josh is such a great zag he entered my signature for me ... simply not enough thanks to go around with him. Man of great character and left it all on the court. He said when he came that he wanted to bring a championship back to Spokane and damn near did that. We will miss him dearly. Just like we do with Pangos and Bell when they left.

chicityzag
04-01-2019, 06:58 PM
I think Josh was one of the more polarizing figures for Zag fans that I've experienced in recent years. One moment you'd be cheering for a great no look pass, then the next moment yelling why he'd make a no look leading to a turnover when the simple pass was available. Although there were frustrating times, the joy he brought to the program and fans heavily outweighs what little mistakes he made. He humbly accepted the off guard role when NWG came, then took over and did a great job leading the past two seasons. It's sad to think I won't be seeing him compete next season for the Zags. He competed night in and night out, setting a great example for Foster and Ayayi to fill his shoes. He will be missed greatly.

p.s. He was also kind enough to wave at my girlfriend during warm ups at the WCC tournament, so we thank him for that!

LongIslandZagFan
04-01-2019, 07:25 PM
For me, Josh is like the Scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz is to Dorthy. He's the one I will miss the most. Statistically he was one of the best Zags ever. Leadership and how he carried himself... If you ever want a definition of Zag Material... he embodies it. Selflessness to a fault. Team first and team always... no sense of ego... gritty as hell... and had a will to win. His interview after the game made me, a 51 year old man, cry. I felt for him and I felt his heart breaking like that was a crueler blow than losing that game. Love to you Josh!

soccerdud
04-01-2019, 09:28 PM
For me, Josh is like the Scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz is to Dorthy. He's the one I will miss the most. Statistically he was one of the best Zags ever. Leadership and how he carried himself... If you ever want a definition of Zag Material... he embodies it. Selflessness to a fault. Team first and team always... no sense of ego... gritty as hell... and had a will to win. His interview after the game made me, a 51 year old man, cry. I felt for him and I felt his heart breaking like that was a crueler blow than losing that game. Love to you Josh!

this... 'cept i'm a little younger.

Zagricultural
04-03-2019, 01:42 PM

X3