PDA

View Full Version : CBS sports podcast talking Gonzaga seed

23dpg
03-07-2018, 10:06 AM
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/cbs-sports-eye-on-college-basketball-podcast/id268800565?mt=2#episodeGuid=http%3A%2F%2Fcstvpodc ast.cstv.com.edgesuite.net%2Fmensbasketball0708%2F 030718_mbb.mp3

These guys spend the first half of the podcast saying things that most of us believe.
Gonzaga is better than their predicted seed.
It’s unfair to Gonzaga and their opponents.
Lower seeded teams shouldn’t be favored against higher seeded teams. (Remember #11 Zags favored vs #6 Seton Hall and #3 Utah 2 years ago?)
Hopefully the committee will see this.

Preach guys preach!

Maybe just maybe we can get that 3.

23dpg
03-07-2018, 10:27 AM
After talking Gonzaga they mention SMC. One guys says he wouldn’t put them in. Claims Rhode Island tried to schedule a game with them and the Gaels declined. Interesting stuff.

gozagswoohoo
03-07-2018, 10:32 AM
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/cbs-sports-eye-on-college-basketball-podcast/id268800565?mt=2#episodeGuid=http%3A%2F%2Fcstvpodc ast.cstv.com.edgesuite.net%2Fmensbasketball0708%2F 030718_mbb.mp3

These guys spend the first half of the podcast saying things that most of us believe.
Gonzaga is better than their predicted seed.
It’s unfair to Gonzaga and their opponents.
Lower seeded teams shouldn’t be favored against higher seeded teams. (Remember #11 Zags favored vs #6 Seton Hall and #3 Utah 2 years ago?)
Hopefully the committee will see this.

Preach guys preach!

Maybe just maybe we can get that 3.

Forgot all about that!! I 'member perusing the Seton Hall message boards, and for the most part, they were soooooo pissed that they had drawn us.

sittingon50
03-07-2018, 10:43 AM
[QUOTE=23dpg;1370285 Claims Rhode Island tried to schedule a game with them and the Gaels declined. Interesting stuff.[/QUOTE]

There was a thread about that on the Gaels board a while ago. "Apparently" true, & based on that info, most of their poster's were pissed.

primal23
03-07-2018, 10:52 AM
There was a thread about that on the Gaels board a while ago. "Apparently" true, & based on that info, most of their poster's were pissed.

They also refused to play Nevada because of not wanting a home and home.
From Brenna Greene Nevada sports anchor:
St. Mary’s refused to play Nevada at Lawlor. Only would offer a one game deal at Moraga. If they would’ve played a game at Nevada it would’ve taken place this year. You have to wonder....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jpn17
03-07-2018, 05:18 PM
St. Mary’s refused to play Nevada at Lawlor. Only would offer a one game deal at Moraga. If they would’ve played a game at Nevada it would’ve taken place this year. You have to wonder....

From what I understand the Rhode Island game would have been in Moraga this year if that source is to be believed. Obviously there's no way to predict how those games would have gone, but if they had played those in December when the Gaels were rolling, they'd be sweating a lot less right now with wins over Nevada and Rhode Island on their resume.

Zagger
03-07-2018, 06:06 PM
From what I understand the Rhode Island game would have been in Moraga this year if that source is to be believed. Obviously there's no way to predict how those games would have gone, but if they had played those in December when the Gaels were rolling, they'd be sweating a lot less right now with wins over Nevada and Rhode Island on their resume.

How true! I sure don’t understand why SMC is so timid on scheduling. Maybe the fire marshall is involved ;)

sittingon50
03-07-2018, 06:09 PM
Maybe the fire marshall is involved ;)

Only once a year.

23dpg
03-07-2018, 06:12 PM

Truly surprising. I still want the Gaels in but I would understand it if they’re left out. If any of you listened to the podcast you’d know how strongly Parrish thinks they should be left out as an example.

RenoZag
03-07-2018, 06:19 PM

Why do you assume the Gaels could beat Nevada ? The Gaels were "rolling" the likes of Cal, UC Irvine, Dayton, Seattle, and Sac State. . .

thespywhozaggedme
03-07-2018, 06:40 PM
Why do you assume the Gaels could beat Nevada ? The Gaels were "rolling" the likes of Cal, UC Irvine, Dayton, Seattle, and Sac State. . .

Agreed, Nevada would crush SMC; they're as athletic as SMC is unathletic, would be a total mismatch.

sittingon50
03-07-2018, 06:59 PM
BTW, thanks for the link, 23.

ZagsObserver
03-07-2018, 07:20 PM
After talking Gonzaga they mention SMC. One guys says he wouldn’t put them in. Claims Rhode Island tried to schedule a game with them and the Gaels declined. Interesting stuff.

Sadly, this is true. RB is adverse to playing most mid-majors on a home and away arrangement, but then gets frustrated when power conference schools won’t schedule a home and away with him. I like the gaels, but can’t stand RB’s double standard stubbornness. He reminds me of an entitled millennial.

ZagsObserver
03-07-2018, 07:23 PM

Honestly, it’s his call. But it’s not been a surprise that the committee wants weak conference schools to challenge themselves out of conference. It’s his loss.

jpn17
03-07-2018, 07:33 PM

I admitted that you wouldn't know how the games would end up, beating Nevada and Rhode Island would be a best case scenario. That said, knowing what we know now, would you guess the Gaels would have beaten GU in the Kennel?

CDC84
03-07-2018, 07:41 PM
I am starting to wonder about the financial state of the Saint Mary's athletics program. Maybe there are some serious problems, and they wish to cut costs by not traveling. I mean, I just have a hard time believing that the Gaels would refuse a home and home vs. the preseason MWC favorite because they thought they were an elite program or something like that. Also, I believe Randy Bennett said on a Bay Area radio station that their current series with Cal is a 3 for 1 deal. 3 games at Cal for one game at St. Mary's. Cal is the worst team in the Pac 12, and their athletics dept. is in financial chaos. An arrangement like that, again, makes me wonder if SMC's non-league scheduling is really guided by a desire to avoid road games for financial reasons.

ZagsObserver
03-07-2018, 07:46 PM
I am starting to wonder about the financial state of the Saint Mary's athletics program. Maybe there are some serious problems, and they wish to cut costs by not traveling. I mean, I just have a hard time believing that the Gaels would refuse a home and home vs. the preseason MWC favorite because they thought they were an elite program or something like that. Also, I believe Randy Bennett said on a Bay Area radio station that their current series with Cal is a 3 for 1 deal. 3 games at Cal for one game at St. Mary's. Cal is the worst team in the Pac 12, and their athletics dept. is in financial chaos. An arrangement like that, again, makes me wonder if SMC's non-league scheduling is really guided by a desire to avoid road games for financial reasons.

Interesting thought. I know their intended gym remodel fundraising didn’t go as well as planned and now they’ll only be doing minor upgrades. No real plans to do anything beyond that either.

CDC84
03-07-2018, 07:54 PM
If you don't have iTunes, you can listen to the podcast without it right here:

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/cbssportscom-eye-on-college-basketball-podcast

Go ahead and bookmark the site. As you can see, they have an archive of the podcasts.

CDC84
03-07-2018, 07:55 PM
Interesting thought. I know their intended gym remodel fundraising didn’t go as well as planned and now they’ll only be doing minor upgrades. No real plans to do anything beyond that either.

And they have lost at large bids due to poor non-league scheduling in the past. Despite that, they do nothing to change it. In fact, it seems like their scheduling gets worse.

Also, the Wooden tournament organizers this season probably paid for their travel to go to Anaheim. Of course they could've used a bus as well. Maybe a 7 hour drive.

kdaleb
03-07-2018, 08:11 PM
If you don't have iTunes, you can listen to the podcast without it right here:

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/cbssportscom-eye-on-college-basketball-podcast

Go ahead and bookmark the site. As you can see, they have an archive of the podcasts.

Definitely worth a subscription/regular listen. Parish and Norlander know their stuff, and as the thread indicates are more than fair to Gonzaga.

Zagceo
03-07-2018, 09:56 PM

Could be true...but come on..across the bay is a whole lotta money...BIG money.....and SMC has no connection? I mean Apple just returned Mt Everest amount from over seas