PDA

View Full Version : A Guide to Rooting This Week from the Narrow Perspective: Best for Zags

TravelinZag
03-07-2018, 09:38 AM
This board includes some superb analysts. Give us a guide to rooting solely based on benefit to Zags. The top five seed lines are crammed with schools from the Midwest and South. That should help.

My own thoughts: 1. Always root for wins by GU opponents and losses by teams projected above us, except pull for Virginia and Villanova to win out and lock up #1s in the East and South. When a matchup occurs between teams in 1, above, root for an upset. 3. Biggest series hope: SDSU wins the Mountain West, minimizing the cost of our worst loss and elevating our RPI, which the selection committee clings to as though they receive royalties for each mention.

Your thoughts will give us all much to digest and discuss as the week plays out, and should renew each day. Thanks in advance for your wisdom and insight.:confused:

mgadfly
03-07-2018, 09:44 AM
My thoughts from another thread:

It'd be nice if ...

USF's opponents all win and they bump up from #137 to #135 making our road win against them a Q2 win. (I don't think there is any way USD opponents can win enough to move from #143 into the top 135).

BYU stays in the top 75 to keep the road win a Q1 win.

Florida stays in the top 50 (currently #39).

Texas stays in the top 50 (currently #48).

Creighton gets into the top 30 (currently #33).

Washington stays in the top 75 (currently #64).

SDSU stays in the top 75 (currently #60).

So I'm rooting for those teams and those teams' opponents (from earlier, not in the same game).

If we can keep our 5 Q1 wins and squeeze out a 6th and maybe 1 more Q2 win our resume will stack up well in all of the various criteria. If not, we'll possibly get bumped by a P5 conference team that has more Q1 and Q2 wins (and a lot more Q1 and Q2 losses).

Top Priority to root for teams we played H2H:
Texas So. over Prairie View AM (FRI)
Utah State over Colorado State (WED)
Florida (Generally)
Texas over Iowa Stae (WED)
Creighton over Providence (THU)
Villanova (Generally)
UW over Oregon State (WED)
N.D. over Montana (THU)
SDSU over Fresno State (THU)

So for the USF case root for the first team listed:
Long Beach State over Cal St. Fullerton
UC Santa Barbara over Cal Poly
Arizona State over Colorado
Central Arkansas over Lamar
Eastern WA over Portland State
UC Davis over UC Riverside
Stanford over California
Duquesne over Richmond
Nevada (generally, no opponent yet)

For the UW case:
UW v. Oregon State
Eastern WA v Portland State
Providence v Creighton (CONFLICT - We need Creighton to win more than we need the UW's opponent to win)
VA Tech v Notre Dame
Seattle U v UT Rio Grande Valley
UC Davis v UC Riverside
Kansas (generally)
Bethune Cooman v Morgan State
Montana v North Dakota

BYU Case:
Alabama over Texas A&M
UMASS over LaSalle
Utah Valley over Cal St Bakersfield
Weber State over Northern Colorado
Utah (generally)
Utah State over Colorado State
Texas Southern over Prairie View A&M

Florida Case:
Stanford over Cal (WED)
Duke (Generally)
FSU over Louisville (WED)
Cinci (Generally)
Clemson (Generally)

TravelinZag
03-07-2018, 12:27 PM
Thanks, mgadfly. Utah State tips off as a six-point underdog to Colorado State in just a few minutes. Go Utah State!

Kong-Kool-Aid
03-07-2018, 01:25 PM
Think we want Zona to lose their first matchup too!

former1dog
03-07-2018, 02:59 PM
Utah State wins!

former1dog
03-07-2018, 03:01 PM
Stanford with a big lead!

former1dog
03-07-2018, 03:02 PM
FSU loses to Louisville :(

Kong-Kool-Aid
03-07-2018, 03:52 PM
Gotta be good for SMC if that Notre Dame score holds up.

Hoopaholic
03-07-2018, 04:16 PM
Gotta be good for SMC if that Notre Dame score holds up.

Maybe but asu lost so going be moved to bubble especially if UW USC and UCLA do some winning in PAC 12 tournament

RenoZag
03-07-2018, 04:58 PM
Oklahoma will go down to defeat once again, losing to the OSU Cowboys, in the opening round of the Big 12 Tourney, enabling the Sooners to lock up a berth in the Big Dance. . .

[sarcasm]

Hoopaholic
03-07-2018, 05:04 PM
Oklahoma will go down to defeat once again, losing to the OSU Cowboys, in the opening round of the Big 12 Tourney, enabling the Sooners to lock up a berth in the Big Dance. . .

[sarcasm]

Announcers were befuddled why Oklahoma lock but ok state out looking in

I simply want to tell them marketing and dollars surrounding tra young

jpn17
03-07-2018, 05:29 PM
Think we want Zona to lose their first matchup too!

This is the only team that I really have any interest in. I think the Zags are probably pretty much set as a 4/5 seed as it is now. It would take just about every team above them losing to a Boston College or a Iowa State for that to change IMO. But I want Arizona to lose so the Zags get the 4 seed in the West and if GU and Arizona are the 4/5 then the game is in Boise and not San Diego. Beyond that I really don't care a whole lot.

zagdontzig
03-07-2018, 11:19 PM
mgadfly wins the thread.

TravelinZag
03-10-2018, 03:36 AM
SDSU, Utah State and Texas Southern have helped GU RPI; Villanova and Ohio State continued. One more win by Texas and Creighton would have been great. UW matched Howard and Incarnate Word performance by losing first game. GU may enter selection Sunday with two opponents which are conference champs and six plus other dance bid-winners.

Good, but could have been great.

bartruff1
03-10-2018, 05:43 AM
If Gonzaga wins it's next game.....those other games don't matter...

If Gonzaga loses it's next game....those other games don't matter...

mgadfly
03-10-2018, 08:35 AM
I think I'm rooting for:
Edit: Tried to put them in order of start time...

Memphis over CINCI (that way if Wichita State makes it to the championship game it isn't as good of matchup for RPI purposes) 10 AM on CBS
Alabama over Kentucky 10 AM on ESPN
Arkansas over Tennessee Noon on ESPN
Houston over Wichita State: 12:30 on CBS
Texas So. over Arkansas Pine Bluff: 2 PM on ESPN2
San Diego State over New Mexico: 3 PM on CBS
Kansas over West Virginia (no way we can catch Kansas but WVU is in the thick of things for a protected seed): 3 PM on ESPN
Villanova over Providence (for slight benefit to our RPI): 3:30 PM on FOX
Virginia over UNC (since a UNC win helps Michigan, Michigan State and Tennessee who are closer to our possible bid line): 5:30 PM on ESPN
USC over Arizona: 7 PM on FS1