PDA

View Full Version : Looking Toward Tourney: Areas to Shore Up

DixieZag
03-06-2018, 08:37 PM
MUCH kudos to this team. SO proud at how they have developed.

Announcer's talked about Few saying that in the last month it has seemed to "click" with the guys. Good for them!

Areas to improve?

I want to see even crazier selling-out on defense, max effort and use their length even more, steals, blocks, help-side, rebounding. They've come far, can turn it up a notch?

Kispert. Oozes potential. Needs to see the ball go through the net a couple of times. If we hit foul trouble or injury, need him strong, contribute. He CAN. I have faith.

willandi
03-06-2018, 09:09 PM
Zags need to hold opponents to under 50% from the free throw line!

WallaWallaZag
03-06-2018, 09:25 PM
perkins' shot...all of sudden he can finish at the rim but can't buy a three...who woulda thunk it???

bartruff1
03-06-2018, 09:27 PM
I am missing Kispert......

Pleasant Peninsula
03-06-2018, 10:16 PM
No dis to JWII or Perkins -- both of whom have been rock solid lately -- but our best three players are:

Tillie
Rui
ZN

This team is Final Four talented. I think the nation, and frankly many in Zag Nation, have been sleeping on this team all year, despite all the evidence to the contrary. They appeared to be a top 10-ish KenPom team at the beginning of the year, and they have cemented that and then some during the season.

I want another Final Four and I think it can happen.

Zags11
03-06-2018, 10:27 PM
No dis to JWII or Perkins -- both of whom have been rock solid lately -- but our best three players are:

Tillie
Rui
ZN

This team is Final Four talented. I think the nation, and frankly many in Zag Nation, have been sleeping on this team all year, despite all the evidence to the contrary. They appeared to be a top 10-ish KenPom team at the beginning of the year, and they have cemented that and then some during the season.

I think Perkins has been more steady then rui but rui will be NBA and Perkins won't IMO.

Perkins 12.4ppg on 42% from 3 and 5 APG to 2tpg.

Pleasant Peninsula
03-06-2018, 10:46 PM
I think Perkins has been more steady then rui but rui will be NBA and Perkins won't IMO.

Perkins 12.4ppg on 42% from 3 and 5 APG to 2tpg.

Perk has been great of late and I'm knocking on wood that he keeps it up when the chips are shoved all in...

CDC84
03-07-2018, 01:55 AM
Tom Crean feels the #1 issue is handling late game pressing situations. They almost lost the USD game because of how they handled the final minutes of that game. We all remember the Texas game. They also need to polish up their offense against a team who might employ a full court press all game.

They also need to work on their zone defense. Because Larsen has played so little, I don't know if the Zags are going to be able to rely upon him. It's probably inevitable that one of the frontcourt guys is going to end up in foul trouble at some point. The zone will help protect the bigs.

DixieZag
03-07-2018, 03:52 AM
Tom Crean feels the #1 issue is handling late game pressing situations. They almost lost the USD game because of how they handled the final minutes of that game. We all remember the Texas game. They also need to polish up their offense against a team who might employ a full court press all game.

They also need to work on their zone defense. Because Larsen has played so little, I don't know if the Zags are going to be able to rely upon him. It's probably inevitable that one of the frontcourt guys is going to end up in foul trouble at some point. The zone will help protect the bigs.

Good post, with insight.

Turning up defensive effort/mechanics, both man and zone, also helps that last minute danger. Offense often follows defense. If they max out defensively and get stops/steals, it would help offensive rhythm.

gueastcoast
03-07-2018, 08:12 AM
Short bench with foul trouble or injuries worries me most, but not sure what we do about that now. Last year we could go 9 deep w Tillie, Collins, Rui and Silas, this year it's only 7 and as noted here Kispert needs to get his mojo back.

MontanaCoyote
03-07-2018, 08:32 AM
I know much less than most on his board about the game, so correct and amend as needed.

My #1 concern is running into a team with two + big NBA type bashers inside hammering our guys, both on O and D, in the paint. I think that's our #1 "soft spot."

I think we can D the 3 if we put our minds to it and I think we can limit drives into the paint and to the rim well enough.

It's facing a real big, physical and mean team inside that worries me. Especially if that team or teams are blue bloods and are treated that way be the officials.

You Think?

Grand Valley Zag
03-07-2018, 09:01 AM
They've been really disciplined about staying straight up and down on defense and not leaving their feet. I like that. Villanova torched them with fakes and it looks like they took the lesson to heart.

Coach Crazy
03-07-2018, 09:20 AM
MUCH kudos to this team. SO proud at how they have developed.

Announcer's talked about Few saying that in the last month it has seemed to "click" with the guys. Good for them!

Areas to improve?

I want to see even crazier selling-out on defense, max effort and use their length even more, steals, blocks, help-side, rebounding. They've come far, can turn it up a notch?

Kispert. Oozes potential. Needs to see the ball go through the net a couple of times. If we hit foul trouble or injury, need him strong, contribute. He CAN. I have faith.

Aside from a lot of young pieces, and all the gel'ing that comes with a team that loses 5 players in one season (a lot of people forget KD), they've been playing in a dribble-drive motion offense, part of the time. There are no set plays. Just guiding principles. That takes time for cohesion. It's an entirely different level of basketball. And then being able to make it work with Mark Few's foundational offense, and the PnP/PnR...

A dribble-drive motion team that understands the game and works with improvisation the way a set-play squad does is brutal.

Zags11
03-07-2018, 11:15 AM
I do agree with full court press so WV scares me. That type of team and I don't wanna face AZ.

Zagricultural
03-07-2018, 02:16 PM
Full court press. Perkins and Kispert need to get their shot back.

billbow47
03-07-2018, 02:19 PM

Tillie
Rui
ZN

Respectfully disagree. JW is a premier defender, a beast on the boards, and a force on the offensive end. Love Rui and what he brings to the table, but right now, JW is more important to the team, imho. Happily we have them both.

Hoopaholic
03-07-2018, 03:16 PM
Respectfully disagree. JW is a premier defender, a beast on the boards, and a force on the offensive end. Love Rui and what he brings to the table, but right now, JW is more important to the team, imho. Happily we have them both.

Thank you

Take Perkins and or j3 out of picture and we suffer mightily imo

Hoopaholic
03-07-2018, 03:18 PM
Aside from a lot of young pieces, and all the gel'ing that comes with a team that loses 5 players in one season (a lot of people forget KD), they've been playing in a dribble-drive motion offense, part of the time. There are no set plays. Just guiding principles. That takes time for cohesion. It's an entirely different level of basketball. And then being able to make it work with Mark Few's foundational offense, and the PnP/PnR...

A dribble-drive motion team that understands the game and works with improvisation the way a set-play squad does is brutal.

Especially when everyone is a threat to go off for 20 something most teams cannot do

billyberu
03-07-2018, 03:29 PM
I do worry about facing a team that can bring a stifling defense like WVU. I don't know if this year's team wins that Sweet 16 game from last year. Not having any depth at PG is a bit concerning.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

bartruff1
03-07-2018, 03:32 PM
Perk has been great of late and I'm knocking on wood that he keeps it up when the chips are shoved all in...

IMHO Perkins is the only player that can't be replaced...no one can run the offense as well...

Steve Cleveland the former BYU coach and now broadcaster was just on BYU Sports and said (to the effect) Gonzaga's offense.... and especially Tillie...... was very good, but it was their lock down defense that shut BYU down ....

The BYU backcourt, all of them....... were not able to do much of anything....they were no match for Gonzaga's guards ..... he also said that the reason Childs only got 2 points in the second half was that Gonzaga made some very effective changes at half time that took away his shot angles and took him out of the game.....

Same old story....defense wins....