PDA

View Full Version : Jay Williams and Company on ESPN thinking zags have one of the best front courts.

Zags11
03-06-2018, 08:20 AM
I believe that's what I heard. Then Jay said Zach will be the x factor in march while Perkins is a lot like Joel berry.

Thoughts?

zagfan24
03-06-2018, 08:26 AM
Not a lot of depth, but the guys that we have there are top-notch. Tillie and JW3 seem to have gained comfort over the year playing together. Rui looks really good in the small-ball lineup at the 4 as he can overpower and outjump his man in the post fairly easily.

One other thing I noticed this morning; since the beginning of 2018 (and I know this means exclusively conference play), Josh has only 2 games with more than 2 turnovers. His Asst/TO ratio is quite strong and in general he seems to be picking his spots well with his shot. It's been a big year of growth for Perkins.

thespywhozaggedme
03-06-2018, 08:47 AM
What's bumming me out is that everyone is saying that Rui should come out after the season, it's ZC all over again. The guy doing SportsCenter with van Pelt last night shouted out "lottery pick" after they showed Rui's dunk. ugh

SageOfZagville
03-06-2018, 08:51 AM
You heard correctly. Jay Williams said that the Zags were the best front court in the nation. Greenberg then said Michigan State had the best FC if they would start playing. Then Jay said maybe if they start playing. Greenberg keeps touting us as an Elite Eight, Final Four team.

DixieZag
03-06-2018, 08:53 AM
Very hard to argue against when Tillie is playing at the top of his game.

Consistency is the only question. JWIII can be counted on to deliver each game. If the other 2 can continue to be consistent, then it would seem like they are the best.

Tillie and Kispert, 2 guys that if they play well make us a top 8 team.

Zagceo
03-06-2018, 09:28 AM
What's bumming me out is that everyone is saying that Rui should come out after the season, it's ZC all over again. The guy doing SportsCenter with van Pelt last night shouted out "lottery pick" after they showed Rui's dunk. ugh

Rui FIRST TEAM All West Coast Conference....can't hide him on the bench...and that whole Vegas marketing line is just that

Bogozags
03-06-2018, 09:31 AM
I couldn’t find the record for consecutive 3ptFGM as Tillie has 10 in a row...If he continues to play at this level he will be playing in the NBA next year...imo

Bogozags
03-06-2018, 09:50 AM
Rui FIRST TEAM All West Coast Conference....can't hide him on the bench...and that whole Vegas marketing line is just that

IMO...In order to play the two or three in the NBA he has to have a keen ability to shoot the three, which he has not yet displayed. After watching his technique shooting jump shots, that it would be easy to adjust his shot from behind the arc.

I think he would benefit enormously staying at GU one more year and develop his game...I canít recall ever seeing any player with his size and abilities playing at GU...work on his outside game and ball handling and he WILL be a Lotto Pick after his junior year ��

GoZags
03-06-2018, 09:57 AM

No.

It is not "ZC all over again."

Rui doesn't have an "involved" dad with a dream to have his son get to the NBA as quickly as possible. Rui DOES have someone he listens to and trusts implicitly. Tommy Lloyd.

While it's true that Rui is getting a ton of "attention" and is likely to get a lot more ... it's also true that if he stays at Gonzaga another year, he'd be better prepared for his future. He will understand that, as it will come from Tommy.

I think that there's a very good chance Hachimura will "finally" be a starter for Gonzaga ... next season.

23dpg
03-06-2018, 10:01 AM
No.

Rui doesn't have an "involved" dad with a dream to have his son get to the NBA as quickly as possible. Rui DOES have someone he listens to and trusts implicitly. Tommy Lloyd.

While it's true that Rui is getting a ton of "attention" and is likely to get a lot more ... it's also true that if he stays at Gonzaga another year, he'd be better prepared for his future. He will understand that, as it will come from Tommy.

I think that there's a very good chance Hachimura will "finally" be a starter for Gonzaga ... next season.

Nothing wrong with that. He's doing OK with the Blazers right now. They're taking a very slow and measured approach with Zach. I think to his benefit.

Zags11
03-06-2018, 10:06 AM
I couldn’t find the record for consecutive 3ptFGM as Tillie has 10 in a row...If he continues to play at this level he will be playing in the NBA next year...imo

It is 15 set in 1990.

Zags11
03-06-2018, 10:06 AM
No.

Imo, Rui needs one more year of college.

thespywhozaggedme
03-06-2018, 10:10 AM
No.

I should've been more clear, by "ZC all over again" I meant the media hype and the same time of year. My bad for not being more clear.

former1dog
03-06-2018, 10:14 AM
Nothing wrong with that. He's doing OK with the Blazers right now. They're taking a very slow and measured approach with Zach. I think to his benefit.

Zach seems to be doing very well. Likely his coming out after 1 year will be considered a good decision from a basketball standpoint.

GoZags
03-06-2018, 10:23 AM

Agree.

Nothing wrong with that. I'm grateful that Zach Collins was (and is) a Zag. He could have gone anywhere but Brian and Mark earned his (and his dad's) trust. Rui's situation IS different, however.

thespywhozaggedme
03-06-2018, 10:41 AM
Agree.

Nothing wrong with that. I'm grateful that Zach Collins was (and is) a Zag. He could have gone anywhere but Brian and Mark earned his (and his dad's) trust. Rui's situation IS different, however.

But if he gets a bug in his ear that he's gonna be a lottery pick this year, things could change. Hope not, but this stuff is very fluid.

WallaWallaZag
03-06-2018, 10:59 AM
But if he gets a bug in his ear that he's gonna be a lottery pick this year, things could change. Hope not, but this stuff is very fluid.

there's a pretty decent chance he already is a lottery pick this year, though probably on the lower end...that won't be what drives a decision though as rui is very much about the process and going through it.

JPtheBeasta
03-06-2018, 11:00 AM
Imo, Rui needs one more year of college.

Whether he stays or goes, and I hope he stays, he would make even more shots if he put a little bit more loft on them. He has too many that hit front iron and rim off.

OntZags
03-06-2018, 11:23 AM
No.

I'm sorry but why do people have to say things like that? It just reeks of bitterness.

Of course his father is going to be involved in such an incredibly pivotal decision in his sons life.

You understand you don't just stop developing because you're on the bench in the NBA, right? 90% of development occurs in practice. Games are just the tip of the iceberg.

Getting to battle NBA bodies in practice beats college kids everyday of the week. Not to mention full time dedication to your craft instead of having to balance your trade *and* school.

Zach's draft stock had very little room for improvement. He wasn't moving into this top-5 no matter what kind of season he had. And moving a few spots higher isn't the worth the tremendous opportunity cost of returning. It strikes me as insanity to forgoe a years' salary, a guaranteed 3 year lottery contract (which - if properly invested - can pretty well secure your financial future) & risk a career ending/altering injury by returning. (not to mention, his stock could very well have dipped. Maybe he has a sophmore slump, his efficiency drops due to not having Karnowski ahead of him and then gets dominated by Ayton in the second round and all of a sudden he's a late first rounder with a lot less money on the table) He absolutely made the correct decision for himself.

Sometimes you need to take off the Zags goggles and take a more holistic and pragmatic approach.

There are pros & cons to Rui leaving. I see more pros for him returning next year than I did for Collins but I wouldn't be shocked if he left and it wouldn't necessarily be the wrong decision for him, either. Likewise for Tillie & Perkins.

This is simply life now as a Zags fan. If you want to consistently compete with the big boys you have to be prepared to accept that more guys are going to depart earlier, whether you believe they should or not.

Enjoy the ride while they are here and let the chips fall where they may. I just hope we don't get a repeat of those schmucks on twitter bashing Zach and his father following their decision. It was in very poor form and reflects poorly on the fan base for future recruits of that calibre.

hockeyzag
03-06-2018, 11:30 AM
You heard correctly. Jay Williams said that the Zags were the best front court in the nation. Greenberg then said Michigan State had the best FC if they would start playing. Then Jay said maybe if they start playing. Greenberg keeps touting us as an Elite Eight, Final Four team.

Thought I heard that Greenberg was saying we had the most "versatile" front court in the nation, and Jay was questioning him, asking him if he said we had the "best" frontcourt in the nation.

I realize I'm splitting hairs here, and they're just talking heads...

Zagger
03-06-2018, 12:07 PM
To me “lottery pick” when someone makes a shot is more of an adjective as opposed to a prediction. But, I wasn’t watching the game though - just listening via the Zags app on my phone in Mendoza. Had the wrong time of year picked for this vacation!!!

Hoopaholic
03-06-2018, 12:08 PM
Screen the screener podcast just picked us to win national championship against sporty based upon our current 5 seed ESPN bracketology

GoZag
03-06-2018, 12:13 PM

It definitely would be something to tell your grandkids. Gonzaga had back to back years where a bench play was drafted in the top 10. Unless Rui has a crazy NCAA tournament. I think he comes back one more year.

thespywhozaggedme
03-06-2018, 12:14 PM
It definitely would be something to tell your grandkids. Gonzaga had back to back years where a bench play was drafted in the top 10. Unless Rui has a crazy NCAA tournament. I think he comes back one more year.

Yeah, all of the hype we're getting can't hurt. Selfishly, I hope Rui stays one more year, but if he's a lottery pick, I can't blame him.

jazzdelmar
03-06-2018, 12:18 PM
No.

Gratuitous slap at a dad who loves his son and whose counsel seems to be working out just fine.

amaronizag
03-06-2018, 01:25 PM
I love what our front court did last night. Really good when they are "ON" and with favorable match ups. Not anxious to watch our entire front court against big physical players like on Cin, Wichita ST, etc. It will be a physical and exciting tourney.

Skimhvn
03-06-2018, 01:34 PM

Agree

Schmitty
03-06-2018, 01:48 PM

Heard from someone whom I would consider "in the know" and he said the NBA guys are drooling over Rui, and currently he is projected mid-1st round by his sources. Might not mean much to Rui and whether or not he turns pro, but it's certainly worth noting how much attention he's getting. and how quietly he's getting it.

DADoZAG
03-06-2018, 02:16 PM
Heard from someone whom I would consider "in the know" and he said the NBA guys are drooling over Rui, and currently he is projected mid-1st round by his sources. Might not mean much to Rui and whether or not he turns pro, but it's certainly worth noting how much attention he's getting. and how quietly he's getting it.

So begins the bidding.... and it won't be quiet for long. Tex was very much correct about the market that will follow Rui when he turns pro.

Go ZAGS!