PDA

View Full Version : Good Luck tonight Zags! From the UNM Lobos...

lobo
03-06-2018, 05:24 AM
We usually root for whoever is playing against BYU anyway, but we are paying extra attention to this game.

Come visit us, you'd find some pretty knowledgeable and welcoming basketball fans on our board.

http://thelobolair.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5

willandi
03-06-2018, 05:34 AM
We usually root for whoever is playing against BYU anyway, but we are paying extra attention to this game.

Come visit us, you'd find some pretty knowledgeable and welcoming basketball fans on our board.

Welcome to the board and thanks for coming over. I'll check out your link.

I have family in Alb., and one of my cousins daughters was a cheerleader for the Lobos until she graduated a few years ago.

thespywhozaggedme
03-06-2018, 05:35 AM

Soon to be conference foes

lobo
03-06-2018, 05:47 AM
I think you'd enjoy the conference. The fans and arenas alone would make a huge difference. If the money is right for you guys, I think it happens. The WCC is not where a program of your caliber belongs.

thespywhozaggedme
03-06-2018, 06:10 AM
I think you'd enjoy the conference. The fans and arenas alone would make a huge difference. If the money is right for you guys, I think it happens. The WCC is not where a program of your caliber belongs.

Thank you for the outsider perspective. I had a UNLV fan pm me and say the same thing.

Hoopaholic
03-06-2018, 06:22 AM

Oh yea. Would be a good step up imo and I could see some fun road trips and still get tournament in vegas

TexasZagFan
03-06-2018, 06:55 AM

I'm a veteran of road trips to the Pit, I love ABQ.

During the 80s, the heyday of the WAC, we'd make the trip from El Paso every year. The Marriott was the place to stay back then.

I was there to see the "coke cup" game. Also, after a tough hard fought victory for UTEP, and a tough pill to swallow for Lobo fans, who ends up sitting next to me in the bar? None other than Gary Colson. He was a class act, to say the least.

Now that I live near Dallas, I could see more road trips to the Pit...it's only a 10 hour drive, and I love spending the night in Tucumcari, staying in one of the motels on the Mother Road.

Kiddwell
03-06-2018, 07:18 AM

We may be playing you guys twice a year soon. Hope so. What's your evaluation of the Mountain West if Zags & BYU join? Do you see a boost in talent throughout the league as prospects get excited to play vs. the Zags?

Thanks for visiting.

:]

lobo
03-06-2018, 07:33 AM
Oh yea. Would be a good step up imo and I could see some fun road trips and still get tournament in vegas

Just the conference tournament alone would be an upgrade for you guys. The T&M is a great venue compared to the Orleans and our schools really travel well. It's pretty amazing really. Lobo fans call in the "Pit West" because of our numbers.

NWRebel
03-06-2018, 07:57 AM
Good Luck against BYU. I will be watching the game and cheering for the Zags. From a UNLV Rebel fan perspective I would be thrilled to have the Zags play at the MWC Tourney next year. As my current conference brother Lobo said the Thomas & Mack venue is great. Two years ago UNLV dumped $72 million in upgrades. The food and alcohol/beer concessions are plenty. I think you will like our tournament. Anyway, good luck in the WCC Tourney and I am hoping we can cut you guys a good deal to get you into the MWC next year.

Gonzagit
03-06-2018, 08:04 AM
I was born and raised in Albuquerque. Left after HS to go to GU and haven't lived there since. My whole family and a lot of friends went to UNM. I get back to Albuquerque several times a year...

In my opinion, Lobo fans are some of the worst in the nation. Right on par with BYU... extremely passionate, but completely unrealistic and myopic. 50% of their fan base are "street alumni", Lobo die-hards who didn't even go to UNM, or any university for that matter. They view UNM as a top tier program and job, and they haven't been past the first round of the NCAA tournament since 1974 (44 YEARS!). It's funny that they want GU in the MWC so bad now, because when we got a #1 seed in 2013 (and they were a #3), they cursed our name and complained about our schedule and ranking...... and then they got beat by HARVARD in the 1st round. The Pit is a nice arena, but the fans only fill it when they are good. I'm sure this Lobo fan is a nice fellow, but the fan base (and university) as a whole is a dumpster fire.

lobo
03-06-2018, 08:14 AM
We may be playing you guys twice a year soon. Hope so. What's your evaluation of the Mountain West if Zags & BYU join? Do you see a boost in talent throughout the league as prospects get excited to play vs. the Zags?

Thanks for visiting.

:]

Absolutely! Recruiting becomes a whole lot easier with you on board. SDSU, UNLV, and UNM have all gone through some rebuilding as we all have new coaches. UNLV still recruits at a high level. I'm confident they improve. SDSU has lost a little with Fisher retired, but they too will be good again and recruit at a high level. UNM hasn't been the same since Alford left. They're on the upswing too! New coach, who has them playing at a high level. They were picked to finish 9th in the league this year and ended up in 3rd. Next year they will be scary good with the new coach getting his own guys in. Nevada and Boise State have made some major strides in keeping up with the league and have sustained that success. The top five programs will continue to be that. Colorado State, Wyoming, and Fresno take turns being consistent, but are formidable. They just haven't maintained consistency. AFA is a great conference mate, they won't really do much. It's hard to recuit there and they are a football school. I will say they will compete and shock some teams with the princeton offense. San Jose belongs in the WAC or WCC, IMO.

Here is something to chew on. Nevada lost to SDSU this weekend. They lost to our fifth best team. Their RPI did not change and their ranking did not change. If Gonzaga were to lose to the WCC fifth place team, I'm not sure it would be like that.

BYU is the unknown. The fans all hate them. They hated them prior to their underhanded ways when they left the conference. It's on another level now. Personally, I wouldn't attach myself to them if I were GU. BYU is has no allegience to anyone but themselves. They will quit the WCC or MWC the very first chance they get. Do they add value? Yes. But, they shouldn't receive any concessions different from the rest. They are not Boise in football and not Gonzaga in basketball.

I say that TV money significantly increases for you, that you take larger shares of your tournament money, and your brand significantly becomes more valuable.