PDA

View Full Version : Pepp vs SMC

thespywhozaggedme
03-03-2018, 08:37 PM
Waves over the Gaels 16-4 in the 1st half. No that wasn't a typo, and yes it's early.

raise the zag
03-03-2018, 08:44 PM
Pepp played amazing last nite.

Great defense and shot 71% FG for the game.

Playing for Marty.

Plus, any team with nothing to lose is a dangerous team.

SMC will grind them down and win, but outside our last 10 mins, the Waves have looked like the best team.

ZagsGoZags
03-03-2018, 09:06 PM
St. Mary's catching up

TexasZagFan
03-03-2018, 09:08 PM
St. Mary's catching up

Reality will set in after halftime. Once the pro-Marty adrenaline is exhausted, SMC will roll.

TexasZagFan
03-03-2018, 09:10 PM
Landale with just 4 points in the first half?

thespywhozaggedme
03-03-2018, 09:12 PM
I mentioned this after they lost to USF but SMC is shockingly unathletic.

Stache
03-03-2018, 09:35 PM
41-34 pepperdine with 11 mins to go. What?

Stache
03-03-2018, 09:36 PM
Sorry - 14 mins left

thespywhozaggedme
03-03-2018, 10:21 PM
Pepperdine choked down the stretch. Terrible clock management

adoptedzag
03-03-2018, 10:23 PM

Young team. It happens.

seacatfan
03-03-2018, 10:26 PM
That was one of the more bizarre finishes to a game I've seen. Repeated official reviews for game clock or shot clock. Pepperdine had 3 possessions w/ a chance to tie the game, but couldn't convert on any of them. SMC did absolutely nothing to put the game away in the final minute or so. The ending was a crapfest!

ZagsGoZags
03-03-2018, 10:27 PM
Pepp loses, but so close

adoptedzag
03-03-2018, 10:27 PM
That was one of the more bizarre finishes to a game I've seen. Repeated official reviews for game clock or shot clock. Pepperdine had 3 possessions w/ a chance to tie the game, but couldn't convert on any of them. SMC did absolutely nothing to put the game away in the final minute or so. The ending was a crapfest!

SMC did their damnedest to prolong Coach Wilson's tenure at Pepperdine.

seacatfan
03-03-2018, 10:39 PM
The really weird sequence was an airball by Pepperdine, then a wild scramble that ended up with the ball crossing halfcourt and jump ball called. After an endless review, the refs said SMC never had possession (I disagree) so the shot clock didn't reset. Pep had to inbound near midcourt w/ only 4 seconds on the shot clock. They drilled what would've been the tying 3, but the shot clock didn't start so it got waived off and they lost another 2 seconds off the shot clock and they had to inbound again. That was so freaking weird.

Hoopaholic
03-03-2018, 11:03 PM
The really weird sequence was an airball by Pepperdine, then a wild scramble that ended up with the ball crossing halfcourt and jump ball called. After an endless review, the refs said SMC never had possession (I disagree) so the shot clock didn't reset. Pep had to inbound near midcourt w/ only 4 seconds on the shot clock. They drilled what would've been the tying 3, but the shot clock didn't start so it got waived off and they lost another 2 seconds off the shot clock and they had to inbound again. That was so freaking weird.

At what point did SMC obtain possession

I thought the decision was correct

Zagsker
03-03-2018, 11:07 PM

agree

seacatfan
03-03-2018, 11:08 PM

When Ford was laying on the ground cradling the ball desperately trying to call a timeout before Pep got the tie up.

WallaWallaZag
03-03-2018, 11:09 PM

also agree after watching replay...and the three pepp hit was after the whistle blew...

WallaWallaZag
03-03-2018, 11:10 PM
When Ford was laying on the ground cradling the ball desperately trying to call a timeout before Pep got the tie up.

if you give him possession there than you also have to give him the time out...

seacatfan
03-03-2018, 11:12 PM
also agree after watching replay...and the three pepp hit was after the whistle blew...

Not contending the 2nd part, but if the clock operator wasn't sleeping then the ref wouldn't have had to blow the play dead and it would've been a tie game.

seacatfan
03-03-2018, 11:13 PM
if you give him possession there than you also have to give him the time out...

that's a bang-bang call, did he signal for TO before Pep players got their hands on the ball?

WallaWallaZag
03-03-2018, 11:14 PM

i wouldn't say they choked...hermanson had to hit three straight threes just to get smc over the top...

CDC84
03-03-2018, 11:47 PM
That would have been the upset of the year. Pepperdine is 316 in the RPI. SMC 33. Moreover, the game took place on a neutral floor.

Just you watch......in typical Randy Bennett fashion, he'll beat BYU by 30 on Tuesday.

Nevada Don
03-03-2018, 11:51 PM
Ford never had control of the ball or as my 70 year old homies and I call it, "the Rock."
It was a very strange play but the right call.
It was a very strange game.
I was just about ready to post here, with the likely Gael demise versus Pepp, "Good Luck the rest of the way GU."
I'll postpone that post for at least another game.

thespywhozaggedme
03-04-2018, 05:38 AM
i wouldn't say they choked...hermanson had to hit three straight threes just to get smc over the top...

Their end game clock management was atrocious. Plus they missed some crucial free throws. I watched entire game despite living on the East Coast and Pepperdine was better. St. Mary's is so slow and unathletic.

ZagsObserver
03-04-2018, 05:46 AM
Their end game clock management was atrocious. Plus they missed some crucial free throws. I watched entire game despite living on the East Coast and Pepperdine was better. St. Mary's is so slow and unathletic.

Pepperdine is not better. SMC is not elite, but they are good. Hey, they beat GU earlier.

Hoopaholic
03-04-2018, 06:44 AM

Except Pepperdine had the ball as well as ford was falling to the ground so you can't give a timeout if both players had possession

TacomaZAG
03-04-2018, 06:47 AM
Pepp showed the recipe (started by GU at Moraga) for beating SMC.............Make someone other than Landale beat you. Double him all night, force him to pass off from the low block. Unfortunately, Pepp didn't have the horses to beat SMC but they came really close.

Keep Landale under 15 points, SMC has no other way to beat GU.

Got to beat USF first..............

Go ZAGS

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-04-2018, 06:48 AM
Pepp showed the recipe (started by GU at Moraga) for beating SMC.............Make someone other than Landale beat you. Double him all night, force him to pass off from the low block. Unfortunately, Pepp didn't have the horses to beat SMC but they came really close.

Go ZAGS

I’m starting to believe that the Dons are just as dangerous as the teams playing in the other semifinal.

TacomaZAG
03-04-2018, 06:51 AM
I’m starting to believe that the Dons are just as dangerous as the teams playing in the other semifinal.

Agreed, MCMM, and the ZAGS have a "history" with the Dons.

Survive and Advance...............the guys will get it done on Monday!!

Go ZAGS

thespywhozaggedme
03-04-2018, 06:55 AM
Pepperdine is not better. SMC is not elite, but they are good. Hey, they beat GU earlier.

I didn't say they are better, I said they were last night. I watch the whole game Pepperdine was the better team last night. But they're not the better team overall. Reading comprehension please

thespywhozaggedme
03-04-2018, 06:56 AM

Go ZAGS

Yup, double Landale and have an athletic guard defend Naar who shoots the ball like a fifth grader and this is athletic as one as well.

johno
03-04-2018, 08:51 AM

The clock operator should be called out for personal accountability and replaced. Really screwed Pep over. It seems unjust that Pep is penalized moreover by 2 seconds being taken off the clock. Who is the clock operator and where does the clock operator come from?

sittingon50
03-04-2018, 11:09 AM
My "educated" guess based on what I have seen/heard in the past is that the clock operator, 30 second clock operator & the official scorer are from UNLV. Having not watched a UNLV game recently, wouldn't know what the crew looks like.

One problem that comes up in these situations can be difference in equipment used. For example, I understand that the clock controls used @ GU are different than those used at the Spokane Arena, where GU has played in the past. That has led to some issues. If UNLV & The Orleans use different equipment (brands) then the person operating the controls may be having to operate controls he/she is not really familiar/comfortable with. And also, sometimes the equipment just stops working properly.

However it happens, it sucks.

Zagceo
03-04-2018, 11:28 AM
Pepperdine didn't look or play like a 6-25 team against SMC

Where's the energy the rest of the year?

former1dog
03-04-2018, 11:30 AM
Pepperdine didn't look or play like a 6-25 team against SMC

Where's the energy the rest of the year?

Lots of injuries, as I understand it.

WallaWallaZag
03-04-2018, 01:10 PM

they prefer the term "methodical" -- jordan ford is actually pretty quick...anyways, doesn't really matter if you can run your offense well...or if you can shoot like wiltjer. smc can still beat the zags if they shoot well from three.