PDA

View Full Version : Goodman's Top Point Guards

Angelo Roncalli
10-30-2007, 10:20 AM
Pargo #13:

13. Jeremy Pargo, 6-2, 220, Jr., Gonzaga One of the most underrated players in the country, the Chicago native has lots of athleticism and toughness. He also shoots it well enough that opponents have to guard him on the perimeter.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/7374792

lawzag
10-30-2007, 11:20 AM
good for him! :D

Go Jeremy!

Hoopmeister
10-30-2007, 02:22 PM
Goodman does give Jeremy a little higher rating than some have, but he also underrates Pargo, imo. Jeremy is one of top 10 point guards in the country for certain. And I'd rate him in te top 5. I can't wait for the season to begin. I love these low ratings for Zags because it will only motive them more...Fans will see a Jeremy Pargo that they have not yet seen. And he didn't show any of it in the scrimmage it appears. And I think that that was wise. Friday night was more a night of fun than real basketball...at least that was the impression I got from reading the posts. More casual than intense. More, taking it easy than a real war. Am I right?

zagfever86
10-30-2007, 02:35 PM
I might be a little bit bias but I believe Pargo is a top 5 point guard easily.

BobZag
10-30-2007, 02:47 PM
I just don't get DJ Augustin as #1. I'll have to watch closer, I suppose, but my seats in the Spokane Arena were pretty good and he is not #1.

Greivis Vasquez is waaayyyyyyy under-rated. He's better than Augustin.

Hoopmeister
10-30-2007, 02:51 PM
I totally agree BZ. I only saw Augustine on TV, the afternoon GU played them as well as a few other times on TV. I'm glad you saw him in person. Who do you think is better between Augustine and Jeremy?

ZagnetitForce
10-30-2007, 02:55 PM
I love how the writer mentiones Pargo in underated and then procedes to under rate him himself!

Nevtelen
10-30-2007, 04:41 PM
I think if Pargo improves his perimiter shooting and decision making in the half-court (he had experienced help last year in Raivio, but this year it'll be his show) he should be in the top 5. Without those things, top 10.

Lowe should be higher on that list, too, IMO. I think Augustin got so many assists partly because of Durant - just pass it to him and bang, an assist. I only watched Texas in a handfull of games last season, though, so I might be wrong. Against us, Augustin's decision making wasn't all that great.

Asotin
10-30-2007, 05:04 PM
Is it just me or is Neitzel overrated every year? How is he ahead of Derrick Low when Low proved without a shadow of a doubt, this summer with the US team, that he was better in every facet of the game than Neitzel?

BobZag
10-30-2007, 05:20 PM
Is it just me or is Neitzel overrated every year? How is he ahead of Derrick Low when Low proved without a shadow of a doubt, this summer with the US team, that he was better in every facet of the game than Neitzel?

Agree. Neitzel isn't as over-rated as DJ but still... What makes Low better, and special imo, is his basketball and overall IQ. Derrick may well be the most savvy PG in the country. He's under-rated.

Butler Guy
10-30-2007, 06:29 PM
Power Rankings (http://www.collegebasketball.rivals.com/viewcbse.asp?selposition=10)

Name
1 Jamont Gordon
2 Darren Collison
3 D.J. Augustin
4 Ty Lawson
5 Dominic James
6 Sean Singletary
7 Eric Maynor
8 Derrick Rose
9 Tyrese Rice
10 Greg Paulus
11 Eugene Harvey
12 Mike Green
13 Jonathan Wallace
14 Devan Downey
15 Jerryd Bayless
16 Drew Lavender
17 Ramar Smith
18 Stefhon Hannah
19 Jeremy Pargo
20 Darris Nichols

EricTheClown
10-30-2007, 06:53 PM
paulus? top 10? unless he stops turning the ball over he shouldnt be that high. pargo is very low on this one, very interesting

HOOTER
10-30-2007, 07:43 PM
Pargo is certainly one of the most explosive PG's in the country and about as athletic as anyone who's ever worn a Gonzaga uniform. That being said he certainly has some areas that need improving (who doesn't?) and I believe this season those wrinkles will be ironed out and he will finally reach his potential. By this time next year he will be a unanimous top 5 no doubt.

P.S.- My spell check doesn't recognize the word "Gonzaga"! Whats up with that?

Nevtelen
10-30-2007, 09:22 PM
Pargo is certainly one of the most explosive PG's in the country and about as athletic as anyone who's ever worn a Gonzaga uniform. That being said he certainly has some areas that need improving (who doesn't?) and I believe this season those wrinkles will be ironed out and he will finally reach his potential. By this time next year he will be a unanimous top 5 no doubt.

P.S.- My spell check doesn't recognize the word "Gonzaga"! Whats up with that?

I think national analysts tend to look at Pargo's relatively modest overall stats and the fact that he wasn't necessarily the "name" player for GU last year and leave it at that. He is definitely better than some of those guys in front of him on that list - this year, with more hype coming into the season he'll get more attention, which will help. He does also have to improve some aspects of his game (as do many of the players on that list), but with his reported work ethic and the flat-out huge jump he made last year, I think he'll be headed up towards the upper reaches of that list sooner rather than later.

Edit: I also think that everything really came together for Pargo towards the end of last season. He clearly had tons of tools, but you could almost see the light go on as to what tools from his tool kit to use when and how right around that first month of conference play.

gonzagulous
10-31-2007, 05:42 AM
Agree. Neitzel isn't as over-rated as DJ but still... What makes Low better, and special imo, is his basketball and overall IQ. Derrick may well be the most savvy PG in the country. He's under-rated.

You're obviously wrong about Low - according to Rivals he is the #14 shooting guard in the country ;)

I didn't watch Virginia much last year other than when they obliterated us, but Singletary was an absolute monster in that game. From what I saw he could easily be in the top 3, maybe even #1.

Augustin is solid but won't have the same production as last year - Durant was a freak and made everyone around him better. Hell, I probably could have averaged 5 assists a game playing for Texas last year :p

AnonyMoose
10-31-2007, 05:58 AM
Pargo top 5? Sorry for being a doubter but Pargo needs to improve a lot of his aspects in his game. Has everybody forgotten the lackadaisically late clock attempt for lay-ins Pargo did last year? Several times he had nowhere to go with 2 seconds left. Also, sure Pargo may have improved his shooting ability, but how much? Is it above 55%? Surely it has to be better than the 48% from last year. Pargo is a credited defender, he's great. But as a PG, Pargo needs to improve his AST. to TO rate. I am not saying to be in the top 5 is out of reach, but please let him prove himself before we crown him as one of the best PGs in the nation.