Pages : [1] 2

Zagdawg
03-02-2018, 10:57 AM
Sam Vecenie

Verified account

@Sam_Vecenie
4m4 minutes ago
More Sam Vecenie Retweeted Brandon Williams
Four-star guard Brandon Williams has decommitted from Arizona to reopen things.

Zero current Arizona recruits in the 2018 class after they had potential to have one of the best classes in school history.

Brandon Williams

@TheeBWill
Follow Follow @TheeBWill
More
DECISION MADE
https://i.imgur.com/z2OYCYf.png

former1dog
03-02-2018, 11:00 AM
If he wants to come here and we have a scholarship, I say we take him. Steps right in for Silas!

Zagdawg
03-02-2018, 11:05 AM
Some here will sat he is too short -- but he has the skill set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aUAKIYdWWg

SwainZag
03-02-2018, 11:06 AM
Adding a guy like Williams to what GU already has would put them pre-season top 10 easily.

JAGzag
03-02-2018, 11:14 AM
Adding a guy like Williams to what GU already has would put them pre-season top 10 easily.

And possibly add in Brown, it would an incredibly talented team next year.

caldwellzag
03-02-2018, 11:16 AM
We were in his final two if I remember right and he never visited. Sounds similar to Cherry. Do we really have much of a shot here or is one of the Blue Bloods about ready to swoop in and pick him up? Not trying to pesimistic but this one will be a long shot.

former1dog
03-02-2018, 11:16 AM
And possibly add in Brown, it would an incredibly talented team next year.

Only one open scholarship according to this boards scholarship chart. Of course, Jeremy Jones may be asked to go back to walk on status? He would also be a grad transfer candidate.

Zagdawg
03-02-2018, 11:17 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TotWSBj0ZyY

caldwellzag
We were in his final two if I remember right and he never visited. Sounds similar to Cherry. Do we really have much of a shot here or is one of the Blue Bloods about ready to swoop in and pick him up? Not trying to pesimistic but this one will be a long shot.

Oh and I hope I am wrong, would love to have him!

former1dog

Logically, I don't agree with you. Gonzaga would be perfect for Brandon Williams.

Realistically, you're probably right. :(

Zagdawg
03-02-2018, 11:18 AM
http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2018/03/02/arizona-loses-third-commitment-in-wake-of-fbi-investigation-as-brandon-williams-decommits/

former1dog
03-02-2018, 11:19 AM
http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2018/03/02/arizona-loses-third-commitment-in-wake-of-fbi-investigation-as-brandon-williams-decommits/

Classic photo choice in that article.

Zagdawg
03-02-2018, 11:23 AM
52 point game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDeumB6VcBA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azDK57ZFESI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrwhSQ-qfgE

caldwellzag
03-02-2018, 11:30 AM
Logically, I don't agree with you. Gonzaga would be perfect for Brandon Williams.

Realistically, you're probably right. :(

Like I said I hope I am wrong and I know they are completely different players/people, just seems like Kansas or Kentucky or Puke will swoop in anytime and he will be gone. I really would like him to be a Zag, great skill set!

tinfoilzag
03-02-2018, 11:33 AM

Several Blue Bloods are also under investigation in the same scandal. If he is looking to get away from misconduct, GU is a great choice. 1 in 5 could be considered a long shot.

With that said, he just may of been presented with an opportunity to leave gracefully and he took it. Most usually have another school in mind when they de-commit.

former1dog
03-02-2018, 11:36 AM
Like I said I hope I am wrong and I know they are completely different players/people, just seems like Kansas or Kentucky or Puke will swoop in anytime and he will be gone. I really would like him to be a Zag, great skill set!

Other than Arizona, Kansas seems like the most formidable team that recruited him other than us, but they have 2 other top guards in his class coming in and some guys already on the roster.

I think he has a starting spot on Gonzaga if he commits. JMO on that.

I think he would replace Silas in the starting line up, that would look something like this:

Perkins
Williams
Norvell/Kispert/Hachimura
Tillie/Hachimura
Clarke

Zagdawg
03-02-2018, 11:37 AM
Kansas has the #24 point guard in the 2018 class
Kentucky has the #17 point guard in the 2018 class
Duke has the #12 point guard in the 2018 class
Another school that was after him below
USC has the #36 point guard in the 2018 class

former1dog
03-02-2018, 11:38 AM
Kansas has the #24 point guard in the 2018 class
Kentucky has the #17 point guard in the 2018 class
Duke has the #12 point guard in the 2018 class
Another school that was after him below
USC has the #36 point guard in the 2018 class

He's listed as a PG some places and a CG others.

The video that you posted of his 52 point game looked like he was playing SG for his high school team. Not that it matters, Few will play multiple PG's at once :)

caldwellzag
03-02-2018, 11:55 AM
Other than Arizona, Kansas seems like the most formidable team that recruited him other than us, but they have 2 other top guards in his class coming in and some guys already on the roster.

I think he would replace Silas in the starting line up, that would look something like this:

Perkins
Williams
Tillie/Hachimura
Clarke

That line up sounds like a National Title contender. You bring up some very valid points about Kansas and others. Let's keep our fingers crossed that he ends up here.

caldwellzag
03-02-2018, 12:11 PM
I hate reading this and hope it doesn't happen, but...

https://247sports.com/college/gonzaga/Bolt/5-Star-point-guard-decommits-from-Arizona-Oregon-a-potential-option-115756868

Also, I was just playing around with the 247 Class Calculator and if he was to commit to the Zags we would move up to number 24. Pretty big recruit here!

former1dog
03-02-2018, 12:17 PM
I hate reading this and hope it doesn't happen, but...

https://247sports.com/college/gonzaga/Bolt/5-Star-point-guard-decommits-from-Arizona-Oregon-a-potential-option-115756868

Also, I was just playing around with the 247 Class Calculator and if he was to commit to the Zags we would move up to number 24. Pretty big recruit here!

Article is 100% speculative.

caldwellzag
03-02-2018, 12:19 PM
Article is 100% speculative.

Oh yeah I know, just saw it and I HATE the Ducks, so I just wanted to share it.

former1dog
03-02-2018, 12:22 PM

Might be a good thing if Gonzaga is going to recruit Williams again. Both teams in the Final Four Last Year. Aftermath?

Gonzaga Top 10 team again
Oregon - NIT (Not in the Tournament)

caldwellzag
03-02-2018, 12:27 PM
Might be a good thing if Gonzaga is going to recruit Williams again. Both teams in the Final Four Last Year. Aftermath?

Gonzaga Top 10 team again
Oregon - NIT (Not in the Tournament)

Very true. It shows our sustained success and they have struggled and had some issues off the court as well.

whatazag
03-02-2018, 12:34 PM
Hope we try again to get him to Spokane.
PG is our #1 need. Not a knock on Perkins, he is here at most 1 more year and they would be a great backcourt tandem.
I know people are high on Ayayi based on practice reports, but I'd like to bring in more of a proven commodity in Williams.

former1dog
03-02-2018, 12:41 PM
PG is our #1 need. Not a knock on Perkins, he is here at most 1 more year and they would be a great backcourt tandem.
I know people are high on Ayayi based on practice reports, but I'd like to bring in more of a proven commodity in Williams.

Takes the pressure off Ayayi, IMO. He's very young.

thespywhozaggedme
03-02-2018, 12:47 PM

How exactly is a high school kid more of a "proven commodity" than a college freshman that has been practicing with and against a top 10 team all year:confused:?

Coach Crazy
03-02-2018, 12:50 PM

Perkins
Williams
Tillie/Hachimura
Clarke

I'm playing Clarke in front of Tillie and giving sophomore Larsen the nod at 5.

Coach Crazy
03-02-2018, 12:53 PM
He never visited. Never had any intention to sign here. Could it be similar to a NWG situation, where he decides to re-evaluate and actually explore GU? Sure. But I don't think so. I think the dribble-drive motion offense would be enticing for a player of his caliber, talent and skill set. But he's not coming here. Neither is Jordan. OKG or it ain't meant to be.

doctorzag
03-02-2018, 01:29 PM

Ducks have Payton Prichard and Will Richardson for next year at the point

Bogozags
03-02-2018, 01:48 PM
He never visited. Never had any intention to sign here. Could it be similar to a NWG situation, where he decides to re-evaluate and actually explore GU? Sure. But I don't think so. I think the dribble-drive motion offense would be enticing for a player of his caliber, talent and skill set. But he's not coming here. Neither is Jordan. OKG or it ain't meant to be.

Agree!

He never visited and don’t believe he will...no interest imo

Bogozags
03-02-2018, 02:00 PM

Perkins
Williams
Tillie/Hachimura
Clarke

F1D dont
See how you keep Rui from starting at the 3 and Zach WILL start at the two if hes healthy

former1dog
03-02-2018, 02:10 PM
F1D don’t
See how you keep Rui from starting at the “3” and Zach WILL start at the two if he’s healthy

Well, Few and I are close, but he doesn't take coaching advice from me and I don't take marketing advice from him :D

(100% true, except the 1, 2 and 3rd facts in that sentence!)

23dpg
03-02-2018, 02:29 PM
Well, Few and I are close, but he doesn't take coaching advice from me and I don't take marketing advice from him :D

Wait, he does take coaching advice from you?

Bogozags
03-02-2018, 02:30 PM

��

DADoZAG
03-02-2018, 02:44 PM

Few doesn't seem to take advice from me either, no matter how loud I scream from my couch....

Go ZAGS!

sittingon50
03-02-2018, 02:46 PM

Former, you're starting to sound like Woohoo!! I don't think this board is big enough for both of you!!

:roll:

Zagcity
03-03-2018, 03:51 AM

What about net casting advice?

former1dog
03-03-2018, 09:15 AM
What about net casting advice?

I don't know about net casting, but casting a flyrod is something coach Few can help you with.

Zagdawg
03-04-2018, 02:24 PM
Oregon lean early?

TheGonzagaFactor
03-05-2018, 06:46 AM
I bet he recommits to Arizona when all this noise quiets down some.

TexasZagFan
03-05-2018, 06:57 AM
I'll simply say I know he's not coming here.

willandi
03-05-2018, 06:57 AM

:roll::clap::roll:

former1dog
03-05-2018, 08:06 AM
I'll simply say I know he's not coming here.

Que??

TexasZagFan
03-05-2018, 08:10 AM
Que??

Just my opinion...has he even visited the campus? One does not start to understand the magical powers of Zagland until they've actually been on campus.

42 years after graduation, and it's still my fountain of youth.

caldwellzag
03-05-2018, 08:44 AM
According to 247 this morning Oregon is "Warm" the rest cool still, although no crystal balls have moved.

doctorzag
03-05-2018, 09:40 AM
According to 247 this morning Oregon is "Warm" the rest cool still, although no crystal balls have moved.

I'm sure Will Richardson would be thrilled to have him sign with Oregon

sharpzag
03-07-2018, 09:28 AM
247 says "warmer" for GONZAGA and OREGON this morning, warm for ARIZONA.

caldwellzag
03-07-2018, 09:32 AM
247 says "warmer" for GONZAGA and OREGON this morning, warm for ARIZONA.

They must of changed that just a little while ago, as I looked at him and Brown first thing this morning.

Thanks for sharing!

sharpzag
03-07-2018, 09:36 AM
Also, inside the kennel says: "Man....@JoshGershon dropping some VERY interesting news on the premium board ($$)- "

If you go to their board, you see the top post is by Josh Gershon and titled "Brandon Williams Update".

I think he is coming. Only thing we really need to add for next year is another PG to take some pressure off Perkins. Top 3 team next year. Best in the MWC. Best on the west coast.

caldwellzag
03-07-2018, 09:42 AM
Also, inside the kennel says: "Man....@JoshGershon dropping some VERY interesting news on the premium board ($$)- "

If you go to their board, you see the top post is by Josh Gershon and titled "Brandon Williams Update".

I think he is coming. Only thing we really need to add for next year is another PG to take some pressure off Perkins. Top 3 team next year. Best in the MWC. Best on the west coast.

I have my hopes up now! Hopefully if he doesn't just sign he comes up and visits campus. I know it's better to have him at a game, but a practice getting ready for March Madness would be great!

BobZag
03-07-2018, 09:43 AM

The year after next is the year to keep an eye on.

jazzdelmar
03-07-2018, 09:46 AM
The year after next is the year to keep an eye on.

You say that every 2 years. Forza Juve.

CDC84
03-07-2018, 09:47 AM

Williams is a 6-2 point guard. I have no idea what the roster is going to look like next year, but if he comes to GU, and Tillie and Rui come back, he will likely be the backup PG (and play some at off guard). They'll probably roll out a starting lineup like this:

Perkins - PG
Norvell - SG
Hachimura - SF
Clarke - PF
Tillie - C

Regardless, they could use Williams like they used Perkins last season. When Perks needs a rest, slide Williams over to the point.

jazzdelmar
03-07-2018, 09:51 AM
I think we would find a spot for him. As for Brown, it seems Cal is only threat. Surely the others aren’t serious.

Coach Crazy
03-07-2018, 09:55 AM
Not going to get my hopes up, but if he does visit that makes things interesting.

caldwellzag
03-07-2018, 09:59 AM
Does anyone know what the "news" actually is? I know it's on a pay site, but just curious?

Coach Crazy
03-07-2018, 10:05 AM
Does anyone know what the "news" actually is? I know it's on a pay site, but just curious?

These pay sites don't bring enough value to spend a "few cups of coffee" (as ITK put it) worth of my cash. Whatever it was, it seems it moved the needle...but even a visit isn't enough for me to think we have gained an edge. I don't know what the kid is thinking, so I manage my expectations accordingly.

BobZag
03-07-2018, 10:10 AM
These pay sites don't bring enough value to spend a "few cups of coffee" (as ITK put it) worth of my cash. Whatever it was, it seems it moved the needle...but even a visit isn't enough for me to think we have gained an edge. I don't know what the kid is thinking, so I manage my expectations accordingly.

Just a note: Zach, Max and Company work hard for their info and do a great job; please don't share info they have that costs. #Respect

caldwellzag
03-07-2018, 10:11 AM
Just a note: Zach, Max and Company work hard for their info and do a great job; please don't share info they have that costs. #Respect

Fair enough, I wasn't asking for all the details, just wondering if it was a visit or what. Sorry if I stepped on toes.

sharpzag
03-07-2018, 10:14 AM
I don't know what the kid is thinking either.... but it seems to me that we have an ideal opportunity open for a PG to come in next year. Also, if you are nervous about Arizona type issues... Gonzaga is the perfect landing spot. Couple that with the "and we're moving to the MWC" which will be a higher RPI conference next year than PAC-12, and SOLD.

Zagdawg
03-07-2018, 10:14 AM
If the info is out there-- it will make it to our board. I am hoping on a visit also. Get him to Spokane and he will realize the value of joining the Zag family.

Coach Crazy
03-07-2018, 10:16 AM

Yeah, I don't have any info. I'm just speculating. I am sure they work hard. I am sure they are great people. It's nothing personal. It's just not enough value to spend money, when the news becomes pretty evident soon after they've released it. Also, I disagree with the idea of hoarding evidence because someone else broke it. It is what it is. If your business depends on people not saying something after they've read it, and you don't have a patent on the information, your business model isn't very good.

zagsfanforlife
03-07-2018, 10:28 AM

You're assuming Tillie and Rui return-- i would say both are about 50/50 at this point as their stocks are rising super fast

CDC84
03-07-2018, 10:32 AM
I think we would find a spot for him. As for Brown, it seems Cal is only threat. Surely the others aren’t serious.

I do not have much hope for Brown based on info you can find on recruiting pay sites. He apparently wants to go to a school where he can be "the guy." It'll probably come down to Cal or Nevada. Nevada is a much, much better basketball program right now, but Cal is a stone's throw away from home.

The Brandon Williams news is exciting. Yes, there's a possibility that a big man could depart, but right now, there is a clear need for a backup PG for Perkins. Also, there's a starting PG need for the 2019/20 season before Dominick Harris arrives. After that, Few could use Williams and Harris like he used Perkins and Nigel.

Hooray4Daye&Gray
03-07-2018, 10:40 AM
What a great day to be a Zags fan.

We look like the hottest team in the country heading into the tournament.

We may join a conference that would involve solid competition game in and game out, and may allow us to obtain more money to invest deeper into our program.

We have some great players that are likely to return next year, and continue our tradition of great transfers (anyone have an update on how Brandon Clarke is progressing this year?)

We have talented winners that continue to commit to our program. Super pumped about Filip, Anton, Brock and Dominick coming here in the coming years.

Now we have the hope of landing a late 2018 stud like Brandon Williams. I can't help but get excited about the future lineups while enjoying this year's March run.

2019 rotation if Brandon joined:

Guards - Perkins (30), Norvell (30), Williams (25), Kispert (20), Rui (15)
Forwards - Clarke (30), Tillie (30), Rui (10), Larsen (10)

PS - If Tillie left, I wouldn't be shocked at all to see us land either Jordan Brown or whoever the best grad transfer big ends up being.

Long live Gonzaga basketball!

CDC84
03-07-2018, 10:42 AM
You're assuming Tillie and Rui return-- i would say both are about 50/50 at this point as their stocks are rising super fast

This is not just wishful thinking = I am almost certain that Rui is coming back. You never hear Few talk about his players NEEDING to come back. He told the ESPN guys at the WCC tourney that Rui needs to come back. That he's not close to being ready. Too raw. I think Few is trying to get everyone to calm down and to lessen the pressure and hype surrounding Rui. He doesn't need it. Also, there is still a language problem with him. His English is still not there yet.

Tillie is more of a question mark. Especially if he keeps playing in the NCAA tourney like he played in Vegas. You know, the NCAA tourney is what really caused Zach Collins' stock to blow up. If he had sucked during the NCAA tourney, he would probably be at Gonzaga right now.

If GU loses a big man, They'll probably be a top destination for a graduate transfer.

Zagceo
03-07-2018, 10:53 AM
If we believe Trailblazer GM ...said mind was made up to go for Zach when he watched Portland vs Zags in conference play

Goshzagit
03-07-2018, 10:59 AM

this.

long shot both come back, especially with Tillie showing the world he is a prototypical NBA stretch bouncy PF. Add 10lbs of lean muscle to his body, and he's a Lottery pick.

Rui and Tillie will make several Top-25 prospects look silly at the Combine this off-season. Given their skill/athleticism, along with Gonzaga coaching and development, they are oozing with potential.

Rui needs to come back, Tillie does not.

In a perfect world, they'd both return to a Top-5 type team next season.

Gonzaga could have back-to-back seasons with multiple early entrants in the Draft. I believe only Duke & Kentucky can claim the same in recent seasons.

Would be tough to sustain, that's for certain.

CDC84
03-07-2018, 11:16 AM
If we believe Trailblazer GM ...said mind was made up to go for Zach when he watched Portland vs Zags in conference play

He might have gone anyway, but the tournament caused his stock to rise. Being the best, most talented guy playing at the final four with 78,000 in the stands made Zach into a household name.

harryzag
03-07-2018, 11:20 AM
https://247sports.com/Article/Brandon-Williams-Second-recruitment-underway-for-5-star-PG-115938866/

“I know I definitely want to visit Gonzaga,” he said. “They’ve been there from day one, them and Arizona. I was raised to be loyal and they’ve been up there from beginning.

Zagdawg
03-07-2018, 11:22 AM
That is some great news! Would be great to get him on campus -- that is half the battle.

former1dog
03-07-2018, 11:24 AM
https://247sports.com/Article/Brandon-Williams-Second-recruitment-underway-for-5-star-PG-115938866/

“I know I definitely want to visit Gonzaga,” he said. “They’ve been there from day one, them and Arizona. I was raised to be loyal and they’ve been up there from beginning.

The opportunity is there for our coaching staff. More importantly, its there for Brandon Williams. Does he want to be part of a winning program where his game will flourish and so will he?

thespywhozaggedme
03-07-2018, 11:25 AM
I do not have much hope for Brown based on info you can find on recruiting pay sites. He apparently wants to go to a school where he can be "the guy." It'll probably come down to Cal or Nevada. Nevada is a much, much better basketball program right now, but Cal is a stone's throw away from home.

The Brandon Williams news is exciting. Yes, there's a possibility that a big man could depart, but right now, there is a clear need for a backup PG for Perkins. Also, there's a starting PG need for the 2019/20 season before Dominick Harris arrives. After that, Few could use Williams and Harris like he used Perkins and Nigel.

Ayayi and Wade? Also, I don't think both Tillie and Rui come back, I hope they do, but I think it's more likely one will leave, hopefully not both though.

strikenowhere
03-07-2018, 11:25 AM
Any word on this kid's character? I'd be curious to hear what the players thought about him if/when he visits....I thought I read in Tales From the Hardwood or Gloryhounds that Few takes current player opinions into consideration when officially offering a kid?

caldwellzag
03-07-2018, 11:26 AM

This is a great! Can't wait to see if he really comes up to Spokane. I love the loyalty comment!!

jazzdelmar
03-07-2018, 11:32 AM
This is a great! Can't wait to see if he really comes up to Spokane. I love the loyalty comment!!

Yes, hopeful sign. What a fit he would be. Keep one of Rui & Tils plus Clarke and Norvell....yowzah!

mattydog73
03-07-2018, 11:33 AM

I know I definitely want to visit Gonzaga, he said. Theyve been there from day one, them and Arizona. I was raised to be loyal and theyve been up there from beginning.

this sounds nice but then he goes on to say: Im definitely wide open to anybody who calls me or my father, said Williams. Were going to pick up the phone for everyone. Im not closing any options.

thebigsmoove
03-07-2018, 11:34 AM
He wants to visit, but could commit as early as next week. Meh. I wouldnt hold your breath.

jazzdelmar
03-07-2018, 11:35 AM
this sounds nice but then he goes on to say: “I’m definitely wide open to anybody who calls me or my father,” said Williams. “We’re going to pick up the phone for everyone. I’m not closing any options.”

You’re right. Dashed. He’s just looking for suitors. Too bad. Kentucky? Please.

Coach Crazy
03-07-2018, 11:42 AM
Yeah, not much to focus on, here. If he signs, we talk about it. Otherwise, we should just move on and let this topic die.

CDC84
03-07-2018, 12:02 PM
For me, I am fine with him talking with other teams right now, but if I hear any talk about him wanting to wait until the late spring to make his choice, my hopes will vanish. That's a sign that he's just waiting to find out which blue blood is losing its starting PG.

Mr Vulture
03-07-2018, 12:05 PM
this.

long shot both come back, especially with Tillie showing the world he is a prototypical NBA stretch bouncy PF. Add 10lbs of lean muscle to his body, and he's a Lottery pick.

Rui and Tillie will make several Top-25 prospects look silly at the Combine this off-season. Given their skill/athleticism, along with Gonzaga coaching and development, they are oozing with potential.

Rui needs to come back, Tillie does not.

In a perfect world, they'd both return to a Top-5 type team next season.

Gonzaga could have back-to-back seasons with multiple early entrants in the Draft. I believe only Duke & Kentucky can claim the same in recent seasons.

Would be tough to sustain, that's for certain.

Tillie isn't going to sniff the lottery this year, nor the 1st round, even he goes off in the NCAA tournament. In fact, he wasn't even in the last Top 100 I saw (Rui was). Both really need to come back in my opinion, although I could see Tillie leave if the rumors about not liking school are true. Sure, they might be able to slip into the 2nd round this year but the question then becomes whether your goal is to get drafted in the NBA or to actually play and be productive once you are there.

thebigsmoove
03-07-2018, 01:07 PM
Tillie isn't going to sniff the lottery this year, nor the 1st round, even he goes off in the NCAA tournament. In fact, he wasn't even in the last Top 100 I saw (Rui was). Both really need to come back in my opinion, although I could see Tillie leave if the rumors about not liking school are true. Sure, they might be able to slip into the 2nd round this year but the question then becomes whether your goal is to get drafted in the NBA or to actually play and be productive once you are there.

Rui is projected #5 and Tillie #15 next year for NBADraft.net (http://www.nbadraft.net/2019mock_draft). I think the only reason you arent seeing Tillie on draft boards or rankings for this year yet is because its been widely assumed hes a 2019 draft prospect. With his WCC tourney and if he can sustain that level of play into the NCAAs, not only would he "sniff" the lottery, he would likely be a top 10 pick. Tillie is exactly the type of player the NBA is interested in, a true "Stretch-4".

OntZags
03-07-2018, 01:18 PM
For me, I am fine with him talking with other teams right now, but if I hear any talk about him wanting to wait until the late spring to make his choice, my hopes will vanish. That's a sign that he's just waiting to find out which blue blood is losing its starting PG.

Funnily enough, a big time program that might lose it's starting PG happens to play out of Spokane...

ZagsObserver
03-07-2018, 01:24 PM
Funnily enough, a big time program that might lose it's starting PG happens to play out of Spokane...

That’s the second time I’ve heard this, though not by any credible source. Care to elaborate? Or are you speculating?

ZagOD7540
03-07-2018, 01:28 PM

I hope he's back next year. I think everyone is assuming that. I hope he doesn't turn into a grad transfer. We will need him big time again next season. I think Few relies heavily on JP.

thespywhozaggedme
03-07-2018, 01:52 PM
I hope he's back next year. I think everyone is assuming that. I hope he doesn't turn into a grad transfer. We will need him big time again next season. I think Few relies heavily on JP.

Grad transfer where? What program better than us will need a starting pg?

ZagsObserver
03-07-2018, 01:59 PM

I heard overseas. Again, not by anybody that I would call credible.

ZagOD7540
03-07-2018, 02:09 PM

I'm with you. There would not be a better program to go to. While watching The Mark Few Show a week or 2 ago, when J3 was featured, he made a comment that him, Melson, and JP wanted to win their last game on the road against BYU . Just the way it was stated caught me off guard. Not sure if anyone else caught that?

Goshzagit
03-07-2018, 02:10 PM
I heard overseas. Again, not by anybody that I would call credible.

There is some truth to this.

Josh has no intention of leaving Gonzaga for another school, yet he is ready to advance his career in basketball and begin earning a wage if given an opportunity.

Been talking with NWG, as Nigel is making a good living abroad playing hoops.

As Milehigh will know, Josh has researched potential options post-grad, yet nothing in the works, as of now. Very much focused on this season, this team, this year.

He loves these guys. They come first.

There is talks of him moving on after the season though, but he could just as easily return to GU. However, he has his Degree, and if offered a good contract, he will begin his career...

gonstu
03-07-2018, 03:58 PM
There is some truth to this.

Josh has no intention of leaving Gonzaga for another school, yet he is ready to advance his career in basketball and begin earning a wage if given an opportunity.

Been talking with NWG, as Nigel is making a good living abroad playing hoops.

As Milehigh will know, Josh has researched potential options post-grad, yet nothing in the works, as of now. Very much focused on this season, this team, this year.

He loves these guys. They come first.

There is talks of him moving on after the season though, but he could just as easily return to GU. However, he has his Degree, and if offered a good contract, he will begin his career...

wow. imagining now if perkins, melson, williams, tillie and rui all leave. yikes.

CDC84
03-07-2018, 04:01 PM
Rui is projected #5 and Tillie #15 next year for NBADraft.net (http://www.nbadraft.net/2019mock_draft). I think the only reason you arent seeing Tillie on draft boards or rankings for this year yet is because its been widely assumed hes a 2019 draft prospect. With his WCC tourney and if he can sustain that level of play into the NCAAs, not only would he "sniff" the lottery, he would likely be a top 10 pick. Tillie is exactly the type of player the NBA is interested in, a true "Stretch-4".

A huge warning: nbadraft.net is an awful website that should be taken off the internet. It is considered widely by college basketball writers and NBA analysts to be the worst mock list on the net. Never ever look at it. They've had players in the lottery on their mock that ended up being 2nd rounders. They are notoriously known for their inaccuracy and misleading info.

As usual, you get what you pay for. Their mocks are free, so everyone goes to them until they realize they are a sham.

The only folks to follow now are at ESPN. And yes, unfortunately you must pay:

http://www.espn.com/nba/draft/news

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/21307077/nba-draft-rankings-espn-top-100-prospects-2018

ESPN grabbed ex-draftexpress.com's Jonathan Givony. Jonathan is widely considered to be the guru of all NBA draft analysts. His mocks are incredibly accurate because he has more sources than anyone. I know at least 3 major college basketball writers/analysts who won't look at any other mock list besides Jonathan's. He is that good and accurate. ESPN made out big. It's not just his mocks, but the detailed analysis of each prospect.

Givony's twitter:

https://twitter.com/draftexpress?lang=en

I'm serious about this. nbadraft.net has been the subject of a lot of controversy. It is not just my personal opinion. People who know the game way more than I do won't go near it. Not even for a laugh. If you look back through this site's archives, I have consistently advised people to avoid the site as well. It's bad news folks.

btzag
03-07-2018, 04:36 PM
wow. imagining now if perkins, melson, williams, tillie and rui all leave. yikes.

I can't see Rui leaving but the other four I would say yes.

I think Ayayi is going to be great.
I think Clarke is going to be great.
Rui, Norvell, Kispert and Clarke are going to carry this team.
I think Petrusev is going to be a serviceable 3rd big.

There is plenty of opportunity for a Brandon Williams to come in and get serious minutes at the 1 and 2 if all the above scenarios play out. My first thought was "forget him, he made his choice" but on second thought so did all our great transfers like Dickau, etc so I'm changing my snap judgement.

thespywhozaggedme
03-07-2018, 07:48 PM

We're biased on this board. Here's what non biased basketball fans that don't care about Gonzaga one way or the other have to say about Tillie:

Gotta admit I thought Tillie was just 2nd round material - he didn't seem particularly smooth or skilled and was a bit scrawny to excel defensively in the NBA, but he's showing to be a really good stretch 4 prospect - good enough for mid 1st consideration in this draft. 17 of 24 3's in the last 7 games, and he looks a lot stronger than last season.

yeah, tillie's shooting numbers are pretty crazy. and while he didn't play much as a frosh, they cross both seasons. 48% 3s as a freshman - again on limited attempts, and 46% now as a sophomore. wish he were taking about double the number of threes he takes. only 81 attempts this year. not a great sample size.

A good indication that Tillie will find success is the success Domantas Sabonis has had. They have a similar feel for the game, both with a soft touch around the basket and a good feel in the post. Neither are very athletic. While Sabonis is better in the post, Tillie can stretch and defend the wing better. He’s also still super young. My only issue with him is his rebounding. I know he spends a lot of time on the perimeter, but I just still don’t think he’s going to be a very strong rebounder in the NBA. I see him developing into an Ersan Ilyasova type, but Ilyasova has a better jumper.

I also think it’s super hard to get drafted as a PF nowadays. There are too many good ones and a lack of need for them now that everyone is going small unless they do something really well, like defend or shoot. To me Tillie doesn’t convince me he’s worth picking over a center or a wing only because there isn’t one thing about his abilities that sticks out. I think he gets drafted somewhere between 25-35 and I think that’s going to end up being good value in that range.

Tillie is athletic (was a volleyball player and is much better vertically than Domas) plus he doesnt have the same body type than Sabonis, they are similar in that both are highly regarder european prospects, white, and have family members that have played pro basketball, that's about it.

Is Tillie healthy now? In Europe, he was MVP of the U16 European championship but next two years injured almost all the time, people forgot about him.

They play a similar style of game was I was getting at. High post/low post, more mid-range and tricky inside buckets and often make passing plays from the high post. Tillie will likely be pushed more to the perimeter in the NBA since he has more PF skills than center. He’s athletic when he scores or shoots hook shots, yes, but not in terms of his rebounding. He rebounds a lot of the time when he’s on the floor, not at its highest point.

Neither Sabonis or Tillie are very long, and even with Tillie's volleyball experience and leaping ability, Sabonis is a far better rebounder. Sabonis isn't a muscle-man, but he's got stronger legs and doesn't get pushed around like Tillie has up to this point in his career. Both have been blessed with athletic parents.

Well Tillie has a 7’2 wingspan which is pretty good as someone who is 6’9. He also has huge hands. Sabonis has the opposite, short arms with average hands.

Tillie with another lights out shooting performance. 10-11 FGs, 5-5 3pt. sheesh.

Tillie is a first round pick in my opinion, i would definitely pick him ahead of guys like Yurtseven or Allen, probably around 25th.

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1418659&start=1240#start_here

LongIslandZagFan
03-08-2018, 04:52 AM
One person everyone is leaving out:

Filip Petrusev

He is a 2018 center and he is ranked 52 on ESPN's site.

Just sayin'

TexasZagFan
03-08-2018, 05:20 AM

Filip Petrusev

Just sayin'

If Filip signed with a P5 school, he would have jumped to top 25.

thebigsmoove
03-08-2018, 05:56 AM
A huge warning: nbadraft.net is an awful website that should be taken off the internet. It is considered widely by college basketball writers and NBA analysts to be the worst mock list on the net. Never ever look at it. They've had players in the lottery on their mock that ended up being 2nd rounders. They are notoriously known for their inaccuracy and misleading info.

As usual, you get what you pay for. Their mocks are free, so everyone goes to them until they realize they are a sham.

The only folks to follow now are at ESPN. And yes, unfortunately you must pay:

http://www.espn.com/nba/draft/news

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/21307077/nba-draft-rankings-espn-top-100-prospects-2018

ESPN grabbed ex-draftexpress.com's Jonathan Givony. Jonathan is widely considered to be the guru of all NBA draft analysts. His mocks are incredibly accurate because he has more sources than anyone. I know at least 3 major college basketball writers/analysts who won't look at any other mock list besides Jonathan's. He is that good and accurate. ESPN made out big. It's not just his mocks, but the detailed analysis of each prospect.

Givony's twitter:

https://twitter.com/draftexpress?lang=en

I'm serious about this. nbadraft.net has been the subject of a lot of controversy. It is not just my personal opinion. People who know the game way more than I do won't go near it. Not even for a laugh. If you look back through this site's archives, I have consistently advised people to avoid the site as well. It's bad news folks.

LOL. I personally know Aron Smith and have for years, NBADraft.net has been just fine at giving people a look at the general stock of draft prospects since the early 2000s, Its not a big site, and he's not necessarily an NBA scout, but he has sources in the know, does he miss from time to time? sure. But so does your supposed maestro Jonathan Givony. Ill continue to get my "free" takes from NBADraft.net. Thanks.

thespywhozaggedme
03-08-2018, 06:07 AM

Filip Petrusev

Just sayin'

Is he a center? I thought he was a power forward.

dhozagfan08
03-08-2018, 06:08 AM
And back to Brandon Williams please!

Zagdawg
03-08-2018, 06:09 AM
Filip Petrusev

6-11, 225 | Class of 2018

Hometown Belgrade, Serbia, Europe School Montverde Academy

Position Center

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/225578/filip-petrusev

thebigsmoove
03-08-2018, 06:11 AM

You got more news on Brandon? Because i sure haven't heard anything other than that he is open to go anywhere and may if he gets around to it visit Spokane. Why can't threads progress naturally without sticklers getting all worked up. Sheesh.

dhozagfan08
03-08-2018, 06:17 AM
You got more news on Brandon? Because i sure haven't heard anything other than that he is open to go anywhere and may if he gets around to it visit Spokane. Why can't threads progress naturally without sticklers getting all worked up. Sheesh.

Not getting worked up. Just like to check on a thread to read about the specified topic. Especially when it's a recruiting thread. His recruitment is going to start heating up, and I know that I'm not going to be the only one checking the thread a million times a day for an update and end up disappointed when all the new comments have nothing to do with the thread topic. That's not unreasonable is it?

TexasZagFan
03-08-2018, 06:23 AM
Wake me when he’s actually on campus for a visit.

jazzdelmar
03-08-2018, 06:23 AM
Deleted

thebigsmoove
03-08-2018, 06:27 AM
Not getting worked up. Just like to check on a thread to read about the specified topic. Especially when it's a recruiting thread. His recruitment is going to start heating up, and I know that I'm not going to be the only one checking the thread a million times a day for an update and end up disappointed when all the new comments have nothing to do with the thread topic. That's not unreasonable is it?

So you have to scroll a couple comments to find out if there is news? Why try to stifle the camaraderie and social aspect of forum members conversing? I think that is kinda unreasonable, If you are too lazy to scroll, maybe check scout/24/7, rivals, ESPN, or twitter for your news? I can promise you, as soon as we have more info on Brandon this thread will quickly return to discussing his recruitment. :cheers:

thespywhozaggedme
03-08-2018, 08:15 AM
Filip Petrusev

6-11, 225 | Class of 2018

Hometown Belgrade, Serbia, Europe School Montverde Academy

Position Center

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/225578/filip-petrusev

Filip Petrusev, PF, Serbia
Height: 610 | Weight: 215 | Draft-eligible: 2019
Already committed to Gonzaga for next year, Petrusev is a fluid, smooth-shooting stretch big who should be a perfect fit in Spokane. Hes teammates with potential 2019 No.1 pick R.J. Barrett at Montverde Academy, and was able to shine with some nice moments in the camp environment. Hes not a surefire NBA guy, but has the size and shooting tools going for him and will be in a great situation for his development. After helping lead Serbia to a title in last summers U18 Euros, Petrusev is a player to track long-term with some projectable utility at the NBA level.

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/02/19/basketball-without-borders-top-international-prospects-nba-draft

LongIslandZagFan
03-08-2018, 08:43 AM

Point was only to highlight that there IS a 2018 player coming in that is already highly rated and should be possibly included in a potential line-up for next year. Nothing more than that. I didn't mean to hijack the thread by any stretch. Williams to Petruzev for a massive dunk... would be a nice thing to hear.

TravelinZag
03-08-2018, 08:50 AM
Will believe it when we see it.

Coach Crazy
03-08-2018, 08:51 AM
Will believe it when we see it.

Welcome to the club.

Zagdawg
03-08-2018, 09:06 AM
Sounds like Few has a priority recruit.

“Everything has been the same this time around,” the talented PG explained. “They tell me all the right things. When you actually break down the film and look at it, you can see what they are saying is true and that Gonzaga would be perfect for me.”

@InsideTheKennel
2m2 minutes ago
More
With Coach Few in attendance, @TheeBWill put on an impressive performance last night. He tells us about his recruitment, his outstanding senior season and where things stand with Gonzaga https://247sports.com/college/gonzaga/Article/The-4-star-guard-recently-backed-off-his-commitment-to-Arizona-and-is-now-open-to-new-schools-including-Gonzaga-115975558 …

23dpg
03-08-2018, 09:09 AM
Inside The Kennel

@InsideTheKennel
2m2 minutes ago
More
With Coach Few in attendance, @TheeBWill put on an impressive performance last night. He tells us about his recruitment, his outstanding senior season and where things stand with Gonzaga https://247sports.com/college/gonzaga/Article/The-4-star-guard-recently-backed-off-his-commitment-to-Arizona-and-is-now-open-to-new-schools-including-Gonzaga-115975558 …

Nice find. It seems like Few thinks he has a shot.

ZagsObserver
03-08-2018, 09:11 AM

“Everything has been the same this time around,” the talented PG explained. “They tell me all the right things. When you actually break down the film and look at it, you can see what they are saying is true and that Gonzaga would be perfect for me.”

@InsideTheKennel
2m2 minutes ago
More

Thanks Zagdawg.

JPtheBeasta
03-08-2018, 09:32 AM
He would be a nice get and would ease the pain of a potential loss of Perkins, Tillie and Rui (and the guaranteed loss of Melson and JW3). GU is an interesting scenario for a big time recruit who is trying to anticipate who he will be playing along side next year.

hooter73
03-08-2018, 10:07 AM
So is the consensus that he is a point guard? No matter how good of a scorer he is, the GU system takes time to learn and refine, and running that show takes a heady student of a player. I think he would be amazing here, but does he slide in day one if Perkins leaves?

strikenowhere
03-08-2018, 10:20 AM

@InsideTheKennel
2m2 minutes ago
More

In other words - Perkins leaving is a serious concern.

ZagMan in Philly
03-08-2018, 10:23 AM
Yes, hopeful sign. What a fit he would be. Keep one of Rui & Tils plus Clarke and Norvell....yowzah!

and possibly Jordan Brown...we can compete with Duke then.

Mr Vulture
03-08-2018, 10:31 AM

Tillie could blow up in the NCAA tournament, sure, but that would at best sneak him into the back end of the first round at best. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this. I will say that I've never seen a guy that wasn't in Chad Ford's Top 100 the first of March suddenly rise to go in the first round. That's not to say that Tillie doesn't leave, particularly if the not liking school rumors are true. The only one of the three that have been talked about on here that I fully expect to return is Rui. I hadn't heard about Perkins considering leaving but it's understandable if he does. My only hope is that if he does leave, we either get BW to commit or we bring in a senior transfer to play the point. I really like the upside of Ayayi but I don't want to have to hope for 25+ minutes a game at the PG position from him on day one of his R-FR year.

Virginia Zags Fan
03-08-2018, 10:34 AM
If Brandon wants to be a Zag, would love to have him. Mainly, I want him to be happy with the program he chooses and have no regrets. If GU is a good fit for the young man and that is his choice, Ill be super happy. If he does not choose GU, I will wish him a safe and prosperous college basketball career. Until you visit GU and Spokane and see how much the town loves the Zags, its hard to understand what a special place GU is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

strikenowhere
03-08-2018, 10:36 AM
Gonzaga has been talking to me almost every day and not only me, they’re calling my dad and getting to know my family too. I think coach (Mark) Few actually tried to call me 20 minutes ago so yeah, they’re on me hard. Coach Few is just talking to me about how they play with their guards and they don’t really have a true point guard right now, so I could come in and be that guy.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/brandon-williams-36

Wow - I hope that was something lost in translation - that's simultaneously crapping on Wade & assuming Perkins is gone, isn't it?

EDIT - maybe he's talking more about the gameplay style of the system currently in place for this year's squad?

Mr Vulture
03-08-2018, 10:43 AM
https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/brandon-williams-36

Wow - I hope that was something lost in translation - that's simultaneously crapping on Wade & assuming Perkins is gone, isn't it?

EDIT - maybe he's talking more about the gameplay style of the system currently in place for this year's squad?

I don't think that's crapping on Wade or insinuating that Perkins is gone. I agree that Perkins is better at the SG position than the PG position and I believe Wade's role will be as an off the bench shooter. The closest we have to a true PG is Ayayi and I haven't seen him play at GU yet so it's hard to say whether he is a true PG or not. He may be more of a combo guard in the Perkins mold for all I know. I'm sure Coach Few knows what he's talking about and he's certainly not going to lie to try to get a kid to GU.

Coach Crazy
03-08-2018, 10:48 AM
Tillie would not be anywhere near the lottery in this year's draft, he's barely on the edge next year from your own post. Could he blow up in the NCAA tournament, sure, but that would at best sneak him into the backend of the first round this year at best. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this. I will say that I've never seen a guy that wasn't in Chad Ford's Top 100 the first of March suddenly rise to go in the first round. That's not to say that Tillie doesn't leave, particularly if the not liking school rumors are true.

So, from a fundamental analysis perspective he lacks refined post moves. Both in quantity and quality. He's not incredibly strong, and that limits how he can either defend the post at the next level. And while he has great instincts for swatting the ball, he doesn't have the level of verticality that ZC possesses. Also, not a fantastic rebounder for the kind of height, length, and instincts he has. As well, his play tends to be inconsistent.

On the plus side, his handles are decent for a big man, he can clearly finish from 3 (and be efficient) and he knows how to play within a system. As well, he can get out and run and absolutely finish in traffic.

Now, from a technical analysis perspective he has already more than doubled his minutes played (which is a sizable increase in sample size.) and has raised his BPM, ORtg, and PER, WS, and WS/40. He may very well not hit 1000 minutes played. But anyone nearing that with a 11.2 BPM, 130.7 ORtg, 94.2 DRtg, 5.4 WS, and 26.8 PER is going to get some looks.

Is he a lottery pick, right now? No. I mean, perhaps there is some GM that already sees something and is willing to make that pick, but to me...no. If he has a stellar March, could he be? Perhaps. But I feel more comfortable saying that he is a second round/UFA guy right now, and has the possibility to play onto a team like the Spurs or Warriors. The entry strategy I am not privy to...

Mr Vulture
03-08-2018, 11:04 AM
Pretty much how I see it although I don't see any chance he's a lottery pick this year. Well laid out, by the way, Coach!

jazzdelmar
03-08-2018, 11:16 AM
Seems like Brandon to GU s getting realer and realer.

basketballzag
03-08-2018, 11:17 AM
Pretty much how I see it although I don't see any chance he's a lottery pick this year. Well laid out, by the way, Coach!

Im going to take the cautious approach with Williams signing in that Ill believe it if I see it. That said maybe Few sees him fitting in ala NWG-JP style next year because next year the Zags have legit national championship potential. Too many people/schools involved

thespywhozaggedme
03-08-2018, 11:21 AM
I don't think that's crapping on Wade or insinuating that Perkins is gone. I agree that Perkins is better at the SG position than the PG position and I believe Wade's role will be as an off the bench shooter. The closest we have to a true PG is Ayayi and I haven't seen him play at GU yet so it's hard to say whether he is a true PG or not. He may be more of a combo guard in the Perkins mold for all I know. I'm sure Coach Few knows what he's talking about and he's certainly not going to lie to try to get a kid to GU.

This flat our getting ridiculous. Why do people keep saying that Perkins isn't a pg? Utter nonsense!

Mr Vulture
03-08-2018, 11:25 AM
This flat our getting ridiculous. Why do people keep saying that Perkins isn't a pg? Utter nonsense!

The utter nonsense is the consistent bashing by you on other people's opinions that you disagree with. It was not an attack on the player and it has even been stated by the coaching staff that Perkins is a better as combo guard than a full time PG. There was nothing I posted that deserved you responding like that.

raise the zag
03-08-2018, 11:27 AM
Brandon is a fan of Gonzaga. His interest is real, sincere, & exciting, yet he is waiting for Blue Bloods to take notice.

He is stepping back and starting over.

He likes us but doesn't love us.

We were in Williams Final 4 for a reason, yet also not chosen for a reason.

He wants a showcase.

I suspect he has one eye on us, another on one of the Big boys.

Good chance Perkins applies overseas this off-season. Paid his dues, got his degree, & wants to begin earning money for what he loves to do. An eccentric fellow as well, intrigued by European lifestyle and play.

Hope we can court B Will. And hope he sees the opportunity to be the man, and showcase his talent, along with other great talents who will make him look good -- assuming Rui stays. Tillie is gone, unless something drastically changes his mind.

I heard, and posted about Killian declaring long before he was doing much on the court, and barely taking any 3's, so...

thespywhozaggedme
03-08-2018, 11:36 AM
The utter nonsense is the consistent bashing by you on other people's opinions that you disagree with. It was not an attack on the player and it has even been stated by the coaching staff that Perkins is a better as combo guard than a full time PG. There was nothing I posted that deserved you responding like that.

Where? Show me one link where the coaching staff said that. It is an insult and disrespectful to Perkins to keep saying that he's not a "real pg".

Coach Crazy
03-08-2018, 11:58 AM
Brandon is a fan of Gonzaga. His interest is real, sincere, & exciting, yet he is waiting for Blue Bloods to take notice.

He is stepping back and starting over.

He likes us but doesn't love us.

We were in Williams Final 4 for a reason, yet also not chosen for a reason.

He wants a showcase.

I suspect he has one eye on us, another on one of the Big boys.

Good chance Perkins applies overseas this off-season. Paid his dues, got his degree, & wants to begin earning money for what he loves to do. An eccentric fellow as well, intrigued by European lifestyle and play.

Hope we can court B Will. And hope he sees the opportunity to be the man, and showcase his talent, along with other great talents who will make him look good -- assuming Rui stays. Tillie is gone, unless something drastically changes his mind.

I heard, and posted about Killian declaring long before he was doing much on the court, and barely taking any 3's, so...

If that's what he really wants, that's what he needs to do. Grad transfers will be available for next year's squad.

Mr Vulture
03-08-2018, 12:11 PM
Where? Show me one link where the coaching staff said that. It is an insult and disrespectful to Perkins to keep saying that he's not a "real pg".

First off, way to take two words and use them out of context. The staff has said many times that they liked being able to use Perkins off the ball at times and that he was better when playing some at both positions (this is known as a combo guard). Further, it is not an insult to say that I believe Perkins is better as a combo guard than solely playing as a PG. It is my opinion, and the opinion of many others, that he is best when use as a combo guard...which not every guard can do by the way.

The issue is that you're so busy trying to find things to attack on the board, which I can only assume makes your ego feel good, that you overreact to posts. You don't have to agree with my opinions and I don't have to agree with your's. With that said, it would be nice if you could object in a civil way instead of the judgemental know it all you come across as often times. You are one of the reasons many long time posters hate coming here now, nothing can ever be discussed if it doesn't fit your personal thought process...

Hoopaholic
03-08-2018, 12:20 PM
First off, way to take two words and use them out of context. The staff has said many times that they liked being able to use Perkins off the ball at times and that he was better when playing some at both positions (this is known as a combo guard). Further, it is not an insult to say that I believe Perkins is better as a combo guard than solely playing as a PG. It is my opinion, and the opinion of many others, that he is best when use as a combo guard...which not every guard can do by the way.

The issue is that you're so busy trying to find things to attack on the board, which I can only assume makes your ego feel good, that you overreact to posts. You don't have to agree with my opinions and I don't have to agree with your's. With that said, it would be nice if you could object in a civil way instead of the judgemental know it all you come across as often times. You are one of the reasons many long time posters hate coming here now, nothing can ever be discussed if it doesn't fit your personal thought process...
Any links to your assertion as it pertains to coaching staff that you referred to?

thespywhozaggedme
03-08-2018, 12:23 PM

How did I take your own words "out of context"? This is what you wrote:

it has even been stated by the coaching staff that Perkins is a better as combo guard than a full time PG.

And all I asked for is any link that a coach ever said that, because I don't remember it. Again, to say that Josh isn't a "true" or "real" pg is really insulting. He's not a combo guard, although he was last year out of necessity, he's a pg, a real, true pg.

JPtheBeasta
03-08-2018, 12:38 PM
Josh is really playing PG right now on a team with thirty wins, and if stays has a chance at being the all-time win leader in college and all-time assist leader for GU. That’s pretty good for a shooting guard.

thespywhozaggedme
03-08-2018, 12:43 PM
Josh is really playing PG right now on a team with thirty wins, and if stays has a chance at being the all-time win leader in college and all-time assist leader for GU. That’s pretty good for a shooting guard.

Ha!

Ekrub
03-08-2018, 12:44 PM
Any links to your assertion as it pertains to coaching staff that you referred to?

Believe they talked about the advantages when nwg was running point of having Perkins as a SG who can handle the ball like a point. Might be what he is referring to

CDC84
03-08-2018, 12:48 PM
Keep in mind that some of the blue bloods are on the FBI List. If Brandon decommitted from Arizona due to the Ayton situation (and other things), I don't see him going to any of those blue blood schools who are on the FBI list. FYI - Oregon was not on the list.

Here are the list of teams:

Alabama, Clemson, Creighton, Duke, Iowa State, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisville, LSU, Maryland, Michigan State, NC State, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Seton Hall, USC, Utah, Villanova, Virginia, Washington, Wichita State Texas and Xavier.

Ekrub
03-08-2018, 12:56 PM
Keep in mind that some of the blue bloods are on the FBI List. If Brandon decommitted from Arizona due to the Ayton situation (and other things), I don't see him going to any of those blue blood schools who are on the FBI list. FYI - Oregon was not on the list.

Alabama, Clemson, Creighton, Duke, Iowa State, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisville, LSU, Maryland, Michigan State, NC State, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Seton Hall, USC, Utah, Villanova, Virginia, Washington, Wichita State Texas and Xavier.

Not all of those on the list are equal, from my understanding. Miller was supposedly caught in the act, as opposed to many of these in which the HC can plead that he was ignorant of any money changing hands.

strikenowhere
03-08-2018, 12:57 PM

Isn't this just a partial list so far too?

Mr Vulture
03-08-2018, 01:25 PM
How did I take your own words "out of context"? This is what you wrote:

it has even been stated by the coaching staff that Perkins is a better as combo guard than a full time PG.

And all I asked for is any link that a coach ever said that, because I don't remember it. Again, to say that Josh isn't a "true" or "real" pg is really insulting. He's not a combo guard, although he was last year out of necessity, he's a pg, a real, true pg.

How am I supposed to link a verbal interview with Coach Few where he says that he liked the ability to use Perkins off the ball as opposed to only using him at PG (last year with NWG)? Perhaps my wording was poor in that I meant that he wasn't what I would refer to as a "pure" point guard meaning a guy that is a great distributor primarily (ala Chris Paul). In any case, I fail to see how it is insulting to say that I think that Perkins is better as a combo guard? It's not like every guard has the ability to play the point and off the ball, he can.

In regards as to how you are taking things out of context, you are picking one word out an entire statement to use as an argument or say that it is an insult. Here is what I posted: "The closest we have to a true PG is Ayayi and I haven't seen him play at GU yet so it's hard to say whether he is a true PG or not. He may be more of a combo guard in the Perkins mold for all I know." By this I meant that I thought that Ayayi was our most likely true distributor type guard and not an off the ball player. I also said I couldn't really say if that was accurate or not as I haven't seen him play yet. I think one of the best things about Perkins is his ability to shoot and pass the ball..thus being a combo guard (which is meant as a compliment).

Final point, I don't see how my statement was insulting when it was just my opinion, here's what I posted in response to another poster: "I agree that Perkins is better at the SG position than the PG position"...this is just my opinion of where I think he plays better. I never said or even inferred that he was a bad PG.

CDC84
03-08-2018, 01:59 PM
Isn't this just a partial list so far too?

It was the list that came out two weeks ago, and no additional teams have been added. I copied and pasted it from the original article. But more teams could be coming from the FBI. We'll see.

I realize that the accusations against Miller and Arizona are way more severe than what happened at Duke (for instance), but I just wouldn't automatically assume that Williams is only looking to attend a blue blood. It makes logical sense that he may wish to stay clear of any programs that have any association at any level with the current scandal.

Idahomie
03-08-2018, 02:13 PM
If Few is leading the recruiting charge this hard, this close to the NCAA tournament, you know that the staff really wants him. Go get get him Few!

Bogozags
03-08-2018, 02:28 PM
Yeah, not much to focus on, here. If he signs, we talk about it. Otherwise, we should just move on and let this topic die.

I still say, If he visits, we talk about it!

No visit, no signy!

LTownZag
03-08-2018, 02:37 PM
Brandon Williams on on Twitter Here:

https://twitter.com/TheeBWill

Rather than arguing on this thread - go show him some appreciation/support/encouragement to come win a national championship at Gonzaga next year.

Mr Vulture
03-08-2018, 02:39 PM
I would love to see Brandon choose Gonzaga, I think he'd be a great fit for us and vice versa. Time will tell what he does but I'm sure he'd be welcomed with open arms in the Zags community if he chose to come here.

thespywhozaggedme
03-08-2018, 02:40 PM
Brandon Williams on on Twitter Here:

https://twitter.com/TheeBWill

Rather than arguing on this thread - go show him some appreciation/support/encouragement to come win a national championship at Gonzaga next year.

I think that's against the NCAA rules. I believe it's a violation for fans of a specific team to try and persuade an unsigned recruit to the team. Be very careful.

caldwellzag
03-09-2018, 05:55 AM
B Will is definitely a priority recruit and Few is working this one hard. I thought it was telling in the article that he said something about Few calling him 20 minutes prior. I went to his Twitter page and he pinned the tweet "Thanks for the motivation ... " and there are a lot of Oregon fans posting there, but I saw this tweet from a Zag fan and loved it!

"Of the schools you’re considering, only Gonzaga has 20 straight tournament appearances, 6 straight conference titles, two Elite 8s and a Final 4 in 3 years, +.500 over PAC12 in last 5 years, and most importantly, 3 LOTTERY PICKS IN 5 YEARS. Take us back #FinalFour #lotterypick"

Zagdawg
03-11-2018, 07:10 AM
https://scoopduck.com/s/1667/williams-planning-visit

former1dog
03-11-2018, 07:58 AM
https://scoopduck.com/s/1667/williams-planning-visit

A bad sign, IMHO.

HenneZag
03-11-2018, 08:13 AM
He's a goner. He will be wowed by the Oregon facilities, the players coming in, and playing in the Pac.

23dpg
03-11-2018, 08:23 AM
I think he’s going to recommit to Arizona. Miller will put on the full court press for him. Their 2018 cupboard is bare.

Ezag
03-11-2018, 08:24 AM
He's a goner. He will be wowed by the Oregon facilities, the players coming in, and playing in the Pac.

Oregon does have very impressive facilities but people can have more of an impact plus the PAC 12 was very down this year and next years doesn't look any better

Hooray4Daye&Gray
03-11-2018, 09:15 AM
Have some confidence. It’s not like we were going to have zero competition for him.

If he visits both Oregon and Gonzaga, I love our chances.

Oregon has Will Richardson, we have (maybe) one year left of a point guard that he could learn from before taking the reigns.

We have a team that’s always good. Oregon is good a couple of years every decade.

And Brandon has already said that Few and Miller had the best plans for how to utilize him.

We have a better coach and a better team, and the facilities are a toss up.

Go get him Few!

Goshzagit
03-11-2018, 09:18 AM
I think hes going to recommit to Arizona. Miller will put on the full court press for him. Their 2018 cupboard is bare.

the dust has settled...for now.

Expect more investigation to continue this off-season, especially as the NCAA begins to announce official disciplinary actions across the board.

Who knows if Zona will be implicated, but there may be fire around the smoke.

If I'm him, I'm not risking that chance.

The NCAA wasn't going to step in on these programs/teams/players until after their Cash Cow Tournament was played. No way.

Don't expect this all to be swept under the rug.

While it sounds like Miller's issue is all hear-say, the FBI did name Assistant Coaches in Tuscon as part of the probe.

We shall see, yet doubt Williams re-commits to them, or us. I still feel he's waiting for Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Kansas, et al to come a knockin'. Just a hunch. If they don't, then ya never know. I give us around a 10% chance in this race.

Zagdawg
03-11-2018, 02:02 PM
He is not going to get to watch Oregon in the dance and Oregon may have Payton Pritchard for 2 more years (although I expect him to leave early)---Oregons incoming recruiting class is stacked.

maynard g krebs
03-11-2018, 03:07 PM
Oregon is good a couple of years every decade.

Under Ernie, that was true. W/ Altman:

2013 s16
2014 1 win
2015 1 win
2016 E8
2017 F4

Then the stars all left early for the NBA, and they went 22-12 in a down year.

maynard g krebs
03-11-2018, 03:08 PM
He is not going to get to watch Oregon in the dance and Oregon may have Payton Pritchard for 2 more years (although I expect him to leave early)---Oregons incoming recruiting class is stacked.

Curious where you expect Pritchard to go. Certainly not the NBA.

Bogozags
03-16-2018, 06:27 PM
Yes, I know it's the tourney but could Brandon be waiting to see who goes furtherst?

thespywhozaggedme
03-18-2018, 07:31 PM
He's from LA and we'll be playing there Thursday. Can he be a guest of ours as a recruiting prospect in our game vs FSU? I don't know the rules on that one.

thespywhozaggedme
03-18-2018, 07:41 PM
I'd have to think that the coaches are going to be on him this week, still not sure if he can be our guest to the SS as a recruit. Also, as someone else mentioned we will need a pg for 19-20.

Alum08
03-18-2018, 07:42 PM
Any news on Ayayi's development? He's got the body of a next-gen point guard.

thespywhozaggedme
03-18-2018, 08:00 PM
Any news on Ayayi's development? He's got the body of a next-gen point guard.

Have to think the coaches feel he's still a few years away if they're going so hard after BW.

willandi
03-18-2018, 08:03 PM
Have to think the coaches feel he's still a few years away if they're going so hard after BW.

Only place I have seen them going hard after him is here on the GU Boards.

Is it known that the coaches are actively pursuing him?

CDC84
03-18-2018, 08:05 PM
He's from LA and we'll be playing there Thursday. Can he be a guest of ours as a recruiting prospect in our game vs FSU? I don't know the rules on that one.

I would think that as long as he pays for the ticket, it would be okay.

On the other hand, to get a ticket from the Gonzaga ticket office could be construed as an "extra benefit" because of the cheaper ticket cost and the fact that the Staples Center might already be sold out right now.

It's a good question, but GU has the best compliance staff in D-1 basketball.

CDC84
03-18-2018, 08:07 PM

Mark Few attended one of his games about a week after he decommitted. He's listed as warmer along with Oregon at 247Sports. The staff is so involved in the NCAA tournament right now.

https://247sports.com/Player/Brandon-Williams-84388

I expect to see more Oregon activity and updates because Dana Altman is sitting at home right now. It's possible Few might do a home visit this week.

thespywhozaggedme
03-18-2018, 08:07 PM

This has us listed as "warmer" ahead of Oregon (warmer also) and Zona (warm)

thespywhozaggedme
03-18-2018, 08:09 PM
He's the 6th ranked pg in the nation and the overall 22nd ranked player. He would far and away be our top recruit ever.

Goshzagit
03-18-2018, 08:09 PM
I feel Coach Sweat Miller will reel him back in, once the dust settles.

thespywhozaggedme
03-18-2018, 08:11 PM
I feel Coach Sweat Miller will reel him back in, once the dust settles.

Their roster for next season is a dumpster fire. I don't think any top recruit is gonna go anywhere near them.

CDC84
03-18-2018, 08:12 PM
Here's the tweet about Few watching Brandon play in person soon after his decommitment

https://twitter.com/InsideTheKennel/status/971808729300717568

CDC84
03-18-2018, 08:15 PM
Few can pitch a Perkins/Nigel dual point guard type thing to Brandon. The team next year, now that we know Rui is coming back, will be superb. I don't buy the Perkins rumors. Nigel came back to GU and told everyone he made a big mistake by leaving. That's going to rub off on Josh. And I am now 90% certain Tillie is coming back. And that number will only increase if he keeps playing this badly in the NCAA tournament. In other words, the team is going to be very, very good next year, and yet there is a clear need for Brandon.

Also, Gonzaga needs to get a starting PG for the 2019/20 season anyway unless Greg Foster or Jesse Wade develops. They have no one besides those two right now.

The deeper this NCAA run goes, the better the sales pitch for GU.

thespywhozaggedme
03-18-2018, 08:18 PM
Few can pitch a Perkins/Nigel type dual point guard type thing to Brandon. The team next year, now that we know Rui is coming back, will be superb.

Also, Gonzaga needs to get a starting PG for the 2019/20 season anyway unless Greg Foster or Jesse Wade develops. They no one besides those two right now.

Honest question: do you have some insider info that Ayayi is not working out? Because he has been conspicuously absent from everyone of your posts when mentioning our future pg.

raise the zag
03-18-2018, 08:35 PM
seems to respect us/like us, yet appears to be an Oregon lean right now.

Gonzaga been relegated to the 'friend zone'? Oregon the mistress. Arizona the jetted first Love.

thespywhozaggedme
03-18-2018, 08:36 PM
seems to respect us/like us, yet appears to be an Oregon lean right now.

Gonzaga been relegated to the 'friend zone'? Oregon the mistress. Arizona the jetted first Love.

What makes you say that? If you're referring to the article it's written by an Oregon message board writer so they have an obvious expected Oregon bias. I wouldn't read too much into it, pun intended.

CDC84
03-18-2018, 08:37 PM
Honest question: do you have some insider info that Ayayi is not working out? Because he has been conspicuously absent from everyone of your posts when mentioning our future pg.

No inside info. Ayayi is really more of a combination guard leaning a little bit towards the off guard spot, whereas Brandon is a true, blue point guard.

That being said, I do keep forgetting about Joel when it comes, especially, to the potential problem of not having a starting quality PG on the 2019/20 team. That's my bad. I keep forgetting to include him in the list of possible candidates.

This is 100% me = It seems as though Joel is a very talented kid, but I must be completely honest: I remain a bit hesitant about him because Tommy and Few have really only had success with international big men. None of the international guards and wings ever really became great. PMAC was okay, but he never fulfilled his promise. I realize Joel comes in with better credentials than a guy like Monninghoff, but until I see an international guard/wing flourish at Gonzaga, I kind of wonder if it's ever going to happen. Watch I say this and the kid becomes a 1st team AA in 2 years :) But sincerely, I don't feel any GU fan can be blamed for having a bit of "let me see it" regarding Joel because the staff just hasn't had great international success with recruiting perimeters thus far. Although my gut says Joel is going to turn out to be the best they have gotten.

thespywhozaggedme
03-18-2018, 08:49 PM
No inside info. Ayayi is really more of a combination guard leaning a little bit towards the off guard spot, whereas Brandon is a true, blue point guard.

That being said, I do keep forgetting about Joel when it comes, especially, to the potential problem of not having a starting quality PG on the 2019/20 team. That's my bad. I keep forgetting to include him in the list of possible candidates.

This is 100% me = It seems as though Joel is a very talented kid, but I must be completely honest: I remain a bit hesitant about him because Tommy and Few have really only had success with international big men. None of the international guards and wings ever really became great. PMAC was okay, but he never fulfilled his promise. I realize Joel comes in with better credentials than a guy like Monninghoff, but until I see an international guard/wing flourish at Gonzaga, I kind of wonder if it's ever going to happen. Watch I say this and the kid becomes a 1st team AA in 2 years :) But sincerely, I don't feel any GU fan can be blamed for having a bit of "let me see it" regarding Joel because the staff just hasn't had great international success with recruiting perimeters thus far. Although my gut says Joel is going to turn out to be the best they have gotten.

Thanks for that. I really appreciate your posts, that's because I usually agree with them. ;)Well since you mentioned PMac and he's Canadian, you have to include Pangos, who by all definitions was a huge international success for us at the guard position. I normally don't consider Canadian prospects as "international", although technically they are because our countries and cultures so similar.

thebigsmoove
03-18-2018, 08:51 PM
...I must be completely honest: I remain a bit hesitant about him because Tommy and Few have really only had success with international big men. None of the international guards and wings ever really became great.

Yeah Kevin Pangos was hot dog water.

CDC84
03-18-2018, 08:55 PM
Yes, that Kevin Pangos kid can play, can't he? He's only one of the best players in Europe right now!

I should not have included PMAC Spy! He's just an easy guy to cite. The Canadians are technically "international" recruits, but in many ways they aren't. Gonzaga is located so close to the border. Even in the case of PMAC and Pangos who were far away travel wise, the staff were able to recruit and analyze those guys so much more than a guy like Monninghoff and the other Euros. I mean, the staff knew Pangos as well as they knew Josh Perkins or Blake Stepp.

thespywhozaggedme
03-18-2018, 08:59 PM
Yes, that Kevin Pangos kid can play, can't he? He's only one of the best players in Europe right now!

I should not have included PMAC Spy! He's just an easy guy to cite. The Canadians are technically "international" recruits, but in many ways they aren't. Gonzaga is located so close to the border. Even in the case of PMAC and Pangos who were far away travel wise, the staff were able to recruit and analyze those guys so much more than a guy like Monninghoff and the other Euros. I mean, the staff knew Pangos as well as they knew Josh Perkins or Blake Stepp.

I agree

willandi
03-18-2018, 08:59 PM

Rui is a pretty good wing! He's not from here either!

CDC84
03-18-2018, 09:05 PM
willandi = He plays just as much at power forward as he does at small forward. Not a good example of what I am talking about.

What I am talking about here is a ball handling, creative 6-5 or shorter shooting guard/wing or point guard. Few and Tommy have never been able to land a non-Canadian international player of this type yet who has turned out to be great. They've all been role guys or disappointments. It could change with Joel.

Honestly, a lot of it has to do with the fact that scouting Euro guards for the college game is harder. And the fact that you have to travel so far to see them in person.

Alum08
03-18-2018, 09:21 PM
Also, Mark and Tommy didn't want to step on Randy's toes in Oz. Lots of top-level guards there we could've snagged.

thespywhozaggedme
03-18-2018, 09:23 PM
willandi = He plays just as much at power forward as he does at small forward. Not a good example of what I am talking about.

What I am talking about here is a ball handling, creative 6-5 or shorter shooting guard/wing or point guard. Few and Tommy have never been able to land a non-Canadian international player of this type yet who has turned out to be great. They've all been role guys or disappointments. It could change with Joel.

Honestly, a lot of it has to do with the fact that scouting Euro guards for the college game is harder. And the fact that you have to travel so far to see them in person.

This post just made me think and trying to jog my memory it seems like the overwhelming majority of foreign players and in college basketball are "bigs". There's just not that many stud foreign guards or wings that come over to play college ball.

sittingon50
03-18-2018, 09:41 PM
Mills, Dellavadova, Nash... just from the little ol' WCC.

cggonzaga
03-18-2018, 09:50 PM

Lots more from Canada too, Wiggins, etc...

mgadfly
03-18-2018, 10:28 PM

I agree, but with recognizing the foreign exceptions of Pangos and Q who were both part of the run, definitely under 6'5", and I'd argue were really successful. I know you are removing Canadians, but I'd count them and call Pangos the exception to the general rule. Even most of our success from Canada has been big guys (it seems to me).

I don't know if it is really because we can't scout PG play as well or if we've just had really good success domestically at the guard positions, or were really lucky with the incredible run of international bigs. But you are certainly right that there really haven't been many international little guys for us.

rawkmandale
03-18-2018, 11:37 PM
Few can pitch a Perkins/Nigel dual point guard type thing to Brandon. The team next year, now that we know Rui is coming back, will be superb. I don't buy the Perkins rumors. Nigel came back to GU and told everyone he made a big mistake by leaving. That's going to rub off on Josh. And I am now 90% certain Tillie is coming back. And that number will only increase if he keeps playing this badly in the NCAA tournament. In other words, the team is going to be very, very good next year, and yet there is a clear need for Brandon.

Also, Gonzaga needs to get a starting PG for the 2019/20 season anyway unless Greg Foster or Jesse Wade develops. They have no one besides those two right now.

CDC84, you are one of the most insightful posters on this board, but I must take a bit of an issue with your comment that we need to get a starting point guard for 19/20, and that "they have no one besides those two right now." I realize that he will be a true freshman, but Brock Ravet has some uncommon skills. Naturally, he suffers the "small school bias" by being from 2B Kittitas, but Brock has led them to 2 state championships, and will go for a third next year. I believe that he was voted the Washington State Player of the Year, regardless of classification. I have watched him play in the last two 2B Tournaments, and he has exceptional court vision and passing skills, along with a stone cold killer attitude. At the Men's Banquet, I mentioned seeing him to Tommy Lloyd, who responded that the coaches are "very excited about his passing ability." But, the kid can also shoot the lights out, and has a winner's attitude. He is John Stockton size, so not a tall guard, which might explain not being a "top 30" type of recruit, but I think Gonzaga fans are going to fall in love with the kid when he first hits the roster. If by some miracle, Norvell is still around in two years, we could have an extremely dynamic backcourt, assuming the coaches play Ravet as a true freshman.

CDC84
03-19-2018, 12:14 AM
I don't think the Gonzaga coaches Rawk have a history which shows that they are comfortable with freshmen starting at Gonzaga unless it is absolutely necessary. Especially at the point guard spot. They'd rather the guy come off the pine and learn for a year.

Of course that could change with the arrival of Dominick Harris in 2020, who was already starting to be recruited by North Carolina and UCLA.

I think Few is pursuing Brandon Williams for a reason. We are talking about a borderline McDonald's AA that the staff really wanted originally. Despite being a freshman next year, he is one guy that Few might seriously consider starting alongside Perkins because it would allow Perks to play off the ball more.

rawkmandale
03-19-2018, 12:35 AM
I don't think the Gonzaga coaches Rawk have a history which shows that they are comfortable with freshmen starting at Gonzaga unless it is absolutely necessary. Especially at the point guard spot. They'd rather the guy sit and learn for a year.

I think Few is pursuing Brandon Williams for a reason. We are talking about a borderline McDonald's AA that the staff really wanted originally. Despite being a freshman next year, he is one guy that Few might seriously consider starting alongside Perkins because it would allow Perks to play off the ball more.

I do understand that fact - freshmen usually sit. Makes sense. But, if the situation is that we are short a true point guard for 19/20, my point is simply that Brock Ravet might be that rare commodity. Young players can grow a ton by NCAA time. I lust for Norvell and Ravet on the floor together.

Malastein
03-19-2018, 03:28 AM
I think there can sometimes be language barrier factors that play a role in stunting the development of some of the international guards. Usually, if they stick around long enough they usually show signs of getting it at some point. I think this is one of the main reasons why Rui will stay in school one more year. He knows what Gonzaga has done for him both as a basketball player and as a person going from speaking Japanese to learning English. I think he’d enjoy being a superstar for Gonzaga as well. Next year should shape up to being a better season if the cards fall right. This team feels primed to win more than ever in March. The job that Coach Few has done with completely restructuring from an inside out offense to a much more perimeter attack is quite stunning.

jazzdelmar
03-19-2018, 03:33 AM
Let Brandon know that if he is yearning to hear from the likes of UNC, Arizona, UVa, Sparty, Xavier.....their coaches have nothing to do now except make recruiting calls from campus.....

thespywhozaggedme
03-19-2018, 05:46 AM

We weren't considering Canadians as "foreign", remember. Plus Nash was like 30 years ago.

thespywhozaggedme
03-19-2018, 05:48 AM
Lots more from Canada too, Wiggins, etc...

For arguments sake we are leaving Canadians out of the discussion. Yes, technically they are "foreign" but the cultures are nearly identical, the language is the same there is no cultural adjustment for Canadians when they come to play college ball in the states plus Wiggins and the vast majority of the Canadian basketball players actually played high school basketball in the states.

Coach Crazy
03-19-2018, 05:52 AM
Let Brandon know that if he is yearning to hear from the likes of UNC, Arizona, UVa, Sparty, Xavier.....their coaches have nothing to do now except make recruiting calls from campus.....

Preach

thespywhozaggedme
03-19-2018, 05:52 AM
I don't think the Gonzaga coaches Rawk have a history which shows that they are comfortable with freshmen starting at Gonzaga unless it is absolutely necessary. Especially at the point guard spot. They'd rather the guy come off the pine and learn for a year.

Of course that could change with the arrival of Dominick Harris in 2020, who was already starting to be recruited by North Carolina and UCLA.

Pangos started as a true freshman and scored 39 against Washington state in his first game, I believe. If Ravet is anywhere near as good as Pangos we are set at pg.

Coach Crazy
03-19-2018, 05:53 AM
I do understand that fact - freshmen usually sit. Makes sense. But, if the situation is that we are short a true point guard for 19/20, my point is simply that Brock Ravet might be that rare commodity. Young players can grow a ton by NCAA time. I lust for Norvell and Ravet on the floor together.

Brock Ravet isn't a rare commodity, and Zack isn't going to last beyond next season. This would be his swan song, had he played last year.

caldwellzag
03-19-2018, 06:05 AM

I love it!

kitzbuel
03-19-2018, 06:08 AM
We weren't considering Canadians as "foreign", remember. Plus Nash was like 30 years ago.

Ricky Rubio? Tony Parker?

mgadfly
03-19-2018, 06:23 AM
I think Few is as likely to start a freshman point guard as he is any other position. I might be missing someone, but here are the guys that I can remember coming in and getting playing time right away:

Morrison - but was more of a sixth man earning increasing minutes towards the end of his freshman season.
Bouldin - I can't remember if he started right away, but he played a lot right out of the gate.
Gray/Daye - They played a lot of minutes in their first season, but I'm not sure either of them started. Probably right around 6th man type of minutes for both of them.
Harris - Starter
Pangos - Starter
Bell - Starter
Sabonis - 6th man/borderline starter minutes, but not a starter as a freshman
Perkins - starter - broken jaw - next season as a freshman, still the starting PG
Norvell/Kispert - Kispert began as the starter and Norvell took it over after the injury.

Perkins and Pangos got the nod, as PGs, their freshman seasons (without a redshirt). One got kicked in the face, but that doesn't mean Few didn't give it a shot.

thespywhozaggedme
03-19-2018, 06:33 AM
Ricky Rubio? Tony Parker?

Neither played college ball. The discussion was about euro/Asian/Australian/South American wings and guards that made a big splash in NCAA mens basketball. Basically any non Canadian foreign pg,sg or sf that had a very successful NCAA career. They are few and far between. I guess Svi Mychailuk from Kansas is currently one that I can think of off of the top of my head.

thespywhozaggedme
03-19-2018, 06:44 AM
Manu Lecompte at Baylor as well.

Bouldin4Prez
03-19-2018, 06:49 AM
I think Few is as likely to start a freshman point guard as he is any other position. I might be missing someone, but here are the guys that I can remember coming in and getting playing time right away:

Morrison - but was more of a sixth man earning increasing minutes towards the end of his freshman season.
Bouldin - I can't remember if he started right away, but he played a lot right out of the gate.
Gray/Daye - They played a lot of minutes in their first season, but I'm not sure either of them started. Probably right around 6th man type of minutes for both of them.
Harris - Starter
Pangos - Starter
Bell - Starter
Sabonis - 6th man/borderline starter minutes, but not a starter as a freshman
Perkins - starter - broken jaw - next season as a freshman, still the starting PG
Norvell/Kispert - Kispert began as the starter and Norvell took it over after the injury.

Perkins and Pangos got the nod, as PGs, their freshman seasons (without a redshirt). One got kicked in the face, but that doesn't mean Few didn't give it a shot.

Perkins was not starting his original freshman season before he got hurt. He was actually the 8th man on that team. Starting 5 was Pangos, Bell, Wesley, Wiltjer and Karnowski with Sabonis and Dranginis coming off the bench before him. He was set to play probably 10-15 minutes a game in close contests and 20+ on nights in the WCC when we could rest Pangos. Man, that was an awesome team as well.

DixieZag
03-19-2018, 06:53 AM
All of this is fascinating, but is the Williams kid going to come to Gonzaga?

I had to read back 3 pages and have now had a thorough review of international guard play, but don't know anything about our chances. Is it visiting?

jazzdelmar
03-19-2018, 06:55 AM
Brock Ravet isn't a rare commodity, and Zack isn't going to last beyond next season. This would be his swan song, had he played last year.

Not so sure about that. Reason: 6-5 shooting guards are not as rare or as hot an early entry NBA commodity as bigs with skills, such as the ones GU has had recently. It's possible ZN stays until junior year. But my fingers are also crossed. :pray:

Kiddwell
03-19-2018, 06:57 AM

I had to read back 3 pages and have now had a thorough review of international guard play, but don't know anything about our chances. Is it visiting?

+1

:[

mgadfly
03-19-2018, 07:06 AM
Perkins was not starting his original freshman season before he got hurt. He was actually the 8th man on that team. Starting 5 was Pangos, Bell, Wesley, Wiltjer and Karnowski with Sabonis and Dranginis coming off the bench before him. He was set to play probably 10-15 minutes a game in close contests and 20+ on nights in the WCC when we could rest Pangos. Man, that was an awesome team as well.

That's what happens when you get old, I swear I remember him starting, but obviously you are right.

I looked back and he played 27, 17, 27, and 20 in the four games prior to the injury game. Almost 23 minutes per game.

thespywhozaggedme
03-19-2018, 07:10 AM

And Few visited one of his games in person recently, but I have no idea if he's visited the actual campus. His hometown is in LA and we're there all week, so I hope a meetup and game attendance (if allowed by NCAA) can be facilitated.

23dpg
03-19-2018, 07:58 AM

And Few visited one of his games in person recently, but I have no idea if he's visited the actual campus. His hometown is in LA and we're there all week, so I hope a meetup and game attendance (if allowed by NCAA) can be facilitated.

Alphabetical

thespywhozaggedme
03-19-2018, 08:03 AM
Alphabetical

Nope. Arizona comes before both Gonzaga and Oregon, yet is 3rd on the list.

23dpg
03-19-2018, 08:06 AM
Nope. Arizona comes before both Gonzaga and Oregon, yet is 3rd on the list.

They list interest first, then teams at the same level are alphabetical. They are not putting Gonzaga ahead of Oregon.

caldwellzag
03-19-2018, 08:09 AM
They list interest first, then teams at the same level are alphabetical. They are not putting Gonzaga ahead of Oregon.

That is not correct, look at Jordan Brown, it is not in alphabetical order.

strikenowhere
03-19-2018, 08:17 AM
That is not correct, look at Jordan Brown, it is not in alphabetical order.

Is it possible its simply ordered by the latest change in interest level?

DixieZag
03-19-2018, 08:19 AM
Well, I want him to know that we're the team still playing, we'll be down in L.A., and we'll have an opening for him with a team of bad asses to join.

All his stars belong to us.

23dpg
03-19-2018, 08:27 AM
All 4 experts who have changed their pick in March have him going to Oregon. This includes Jerry Meyer, who is the director of scouting for 247.
Maybe I was wrong about the alphabetic part but I’d swear that’s how they’ve done it for years. I just see no evidence of them ranking us above Oregon when they predict he’s going to Oregon.

BobZag
03-19-2018, 08:48 AM
All 4 experts who have changed their pick in March have him going to Oregon. This includes Jerry Meyer, who is the director of scouting for 247.
Maybe I was wrong about the alphabetic part but I’d swear that’s how they’ve done it for years. I just see no evidence of them ranking us above Oregon when they predict he’s going to Oregon.

I want a copy of Altman's sales pitch.

thespywhozaggedme
03-19-2018, 08:56 AM

Keep in mind we have seen were all four experts have been wrong before all four experts on 247 had Nolan Narain going to Gonzaga but he chose San Diego State. Lucky for us.

HillZag
03-19-2018, 08:59 AM
Well, I want him to know that we're the team still playing, we'll be down in L.A., and we'll have an opening for him with a team of bad asses to join.

All his stars belong to us.

+1.

sharpzag
03-19-2018, 09:02 AM
Not a great sign for Zags...

Brandon Williams
‏@TheeBWill
Mar 17
More Brandon Williams Retweeted Jake
My guy Louu��✊��Brandon Williams added,
Jake
Verified account

@jakeweingarten
Oregon Ducks signee Louis King tells me he will join 2018 G Brandon Williams on his visit to Eugene. #Ducks

23dpg
03-19-2018, 09:03 AM
Keep in mind we have seen were all four experts have been wrong before all four experts on 247 had Nolan Narain going to Gonzaga but he chose San Diego State. Lucky for us.

I still hope that he comes here. It sounds like Few really wants him.
I just dont think that site is predicting it at this moment.
If he does choose the Zags, Im all in.
If he goes to Oregon (who still has a pg) or Zona, good luck to the kid, I wont be bitter, I just wont follow him.

thespywhozaggedme
03-19-2018, 09:07 AM
I still hope that he comes here. It sounds like Few really wants him.
I just don’t think that site is predicting it at this moment.
If he does choose the Zags, I’m all in.
If he goes to Oregon (who still has a pg) or Zona, good luck to the kid, I won’t be bitter, I just won’t follow him.

Agree with everything that you just wrote

Zagceo
03-19-2018, 09:11 AM

Welcome to SWOOSH

the end

thespywhozaggedme
03-19-2018, 09:13 AM
I really wish someone who was an active twitter user could pitch GU's current success to him, but I think it's a recruiting violation for fans to contact active recruits.

TexasZagFan
03-19-2018, 09:14 AM
I really wish someone who was an active twitter user could pitch GU's current success to him, but I think it's a recruiting violation for fans to contact active recruits.

That's why I didn't attempt to say "hi" to Drew Timme after they played my son's HS team...lol. Of course, I was wearing a Zag shirt.

mgadfly
03-19-2018, 09:16 AM
Is it a violation if we dress up in Oregon gear and harass him during his Duck's visit?

former1dog
03-19-2018, 09:18 AM
Not a great sign for Zags...

Brandon Williams
‏@TheeBWill
Mar 17
More Brandon Williams Retweeted Jake
My guy Louu��✊��Brandon Williams added,
Jake
Verified account

@jakeweingarten
Oregon Ducks signee Louis King tells me he will join 2018 G Brandon Williams on his visit to Eugene. #Ducks

The fact that he's visiting Oregon and hasn't scheduled a visit to Gonzaga (yet?) is why all the "experts" are predicting the Ducks. :(

Coach Crazy
03-19-2018, 09:29 AM
The fact that he's visiting Oregon and hasn't scheduled a visit to Gonzaga (yet?) is why all the "experts" are predicting the Ducks. :(

Yeah. He ain't coming here. And if he needs another Final Four appearance or so to change his mind. He's not OKG. Pass.

TexasZagFan
03-19-2018, 09:32 AM
Yeah. He ain't coming here. And if he needs another Final Four appearance or so to change his mind. He's not OKG. Pass.

No visit? Forget about him.

That's my line of demarcation. Drew Timme's visited the campus, not sure if it was during one of the Zags' basketball camps, though (no link, just recalling from memory...a dangerous thing).

ZagMan in Philly
03-19-2018, 09:34 AM

Agree, but Ducks are loaded with PGs. Maybe he will be a Zag via transfer in a year..

strikenowhere
03-19-2018, 09:34 AM

https://media.makeameme.org/created/shoes-shoes-everywhere-5aaff4.jpg

Mr Vulture
03-19-2018, 10:04 AM
The Pac12 was the worst of the three West Coast conferences this year but recruits are still in love with the schools there. They feel like it's the big time but Gonzaga is just as big nationally as the flashy schools in the Pac12. I understand the WCC isn't exciting but the non conference schedule, the charter flights, the top notch facilities,the stable coaching, and the historical player development should be just as comparable. Not to mention that we have now played in 20 straight NCAA's, 4 straight S16's, 2 of the last 3 E8's, and the National Title game last year....

Bouldin4Prez
03-19-2018, 10:19 AM
The Pac12 was the worst of the three West Coast conferences this year but recruits are still in love with the schools there. They feel like it's the big time but Gonzaga is just as big nationally as the flashy schools in the Pac12. I understand the WCC isn't exciting but the non conference schedule, the charter flights, the top notch facilities,the stable coaching, and the historical player development should be just as comparable. Not to mention that we have now played in 20 straight NCAA's, 4 straight S16's, 2 of the last 3 E8's, and the National Title game last year....

I hate to break it to you, but going to a big state school is generally a lot more fun for an 18-22 year old kid. As to whether or not it's the best decision for your basketball career, probably not. Going to school in Seattle, LA, the Bay, Phoenix, etc offers a lot more to do than in Spokane and just a hunch probably more co-eds as well.

JAGzag
03-19-2018, 10:23 AM
I just don't get it, I really don't. Perhaps I'm too much of a GU homer but even WITH JP, this kid has a chance (a good chance) to start on a National Top-10 school, with all the limelight and exposure possible, with a guarantee NCAA birth. Not to mention make a run at the National Championship. Oregon??

former1dog
03-19-2018, 10:29 AM
I just don't get it, I really don't. Perhaps I'm too much of a GU homer but even WITH JP, this kid has a chance (a good chance) to start on a National Top-10 school, with all the limelight and exposure possible, with a guarantee NCAA birth. Not to mention make a run at the National Championship. Oregon??

Not to mention he's been quoted as saying our system is "pretty much perfect for me."

thespywhozaggedme
03-19-2018, 10:35 AM

The currently have the second ranked recruiting class behind Duke. If BWill commits to them, they may be # 1 overall.

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings

Zagdawg
03-19-2018, 10:42 AM
He has said he wants to visit Gonzaga-- but Oregon seems to be where he is looking -- if we can get him here for a visit we have a shot.

Here is a little duck slanted interview......

https://scoopduck.com/s/1676/williams-talks-oregon

CanadianZagsFan
03-19-2018, 10:47 AM
A lot of people in these threads get offended when a kid doesn't choose GU as option/top choice.
Not all people are alike. Some kids want big city, some want a state/city that has value or history with the family, playing time is another factor for some kids.

I like Gonzaga being in on a bunch more kids than even 3-5 years ago.

thespywhozaggedme
03-19-2018, 11:01 AM
I don't get the Oregon thing, he's not gonna start over Pritchard and Elijah Brown, but then again, he's not gonna start for us over Perks and Zach.

ZagAddict
03-19-2018, 11:03 AM
I completely trust the staff and their recruiting. I just don't understand how kid's don't even visit when our staff comes at them hard. Why not take a close-up look when you have a resume like:

20 Straight NCAA Tournament Appearances
Last 4 NCAA Tournament Results (including this year): Elite 8, Sweet 16, National Championship Runner-Up, TBD (currently playing Sweet 16)
Last 6 NCAA Tournament Seeds (including this year): No.1 (2), No.2 (1), No.4 (!), No.8 (1), No.11 (1) that's 4 of the last 6 years we've been seeded 4 or higher
Coaching Consistency: Mark Few (529-117 record)
Player Development/Focus: Bigs: Zach Collins (Lottery Draft Pick), Domantas Sabonis (Lottery Draft Pick), Kelly Olynk (Lottery Pick)
Player Development/Focus: Guard-oriented system - Josh Perkins, Nigel Williams-Goss, Kevin Pangos, Steven Gray

The first 3 are results that most Big 5 schools can't compete with, especially on the west coast (not even Oregon, UCLA, Arizona, or USC). Yet, these schools consistently get commitments/visits from players we are recruiting. I don't see any reason for Brandon Williams or Jordan Brown to not at least visit. I must be missing something, please help educate me.

caldwellzag
03-19-2018, 11:09 AM
I think it is important to remember that he wants to visit GU and we are still playing, unlike Oregon who can bring him in right now because they didn't even make the tourney. I would guess he will visit the week after the Final Four, as I doubt we bring someone in while we are still actively playing!!

thebigsmoove
03-19-2018, 11:10 AM
I don't get the Oregon thing, he's not gonna start over Pritchard and Elijah Brown, but then again, he's not gonna start for us over Perks and Zach.

Wasnt Elijah Brown a grad transfer senior? I think hes gone now.

WyoZag
03-19-2018, 11:14 AM
I think it is important to remember that he wants to visit GU and we are still playing, unlike Oregon who can bring him in right now because they didn't even make the tourney. I would guess he will visit the week after the Final Four, as I doubt we bring someone in while we are still actively playing!!

Negative Nancys and Debbie Downers everywhere. Caldwell, thanks for having a little perspective.

caldwellzag
03-19-2018, 11:23 AM
Negative Nancys and Debbie Downers everywhere. Caldwell, thanks for having a little perspective.

I get down from time to time on these recruits overlooking us too, but I remembered this article

https://247sports.com/college/gonzaga/Article/The-4-star-guard-recently-backed-off-his-commitment-to-Arizona-and-is-now-open-to-new-schools-including-Gonzaga-115975558

And he told Josh he wants to visit after his season is over and the tournament is over. I think he fits our system perfect and if he comes up to visit he will sign!

thespywhozaggedme
03-19-2018, 11:25 AM
Wasnt Elijah Brown a grad transfer senior? I think hes gone now.

Grad junior transfer

Marcus
03-19-2018, 11:26 AM
I completely trust the staff and their recruiting. I just don't understand how kid's don't even visit when our staff comes at them hard. Why not take a close-up look when you have a resume like:

Last 4 NCAA Tournament Results (including this year): Elite 8, Sweet 16, National Championship Runner-Up, TBD (currently playing Sweet 16)
Last 6 NCAA Tournament Seeds (including this year): No.1 (2), No.2 (1), No.4 (!), No.8 (1), No.11 (1) that's 4 of the last 6 years we've been seeded 4 or higher
Player Development/Focus: Bigs: Zach Collins (Lottery Draft Pick), Domantas Sabonis (Lottery Draft Pick), Kelly Olynk (Lottery Pick)
Player Development/Focus: Guard-oriented system - Josh Perkins, Nigel Williams-Goss, Kevin Pangos, Steven Gray

The first 3 are results that most Big 5 schools can't compete with, especially on the west coast (not even Oregon, UCLA, Arizona, or USC). Yet, these schools consistently get commitments/visits from players we are recruiting. I don't see any reason for Brandon Williams or Jordan Brown to not at least visit. I must be missing something, please help educate me.

I think part of the issue here is that we are adults looking through the lens of life experience, reason and logic. Many of us have the ability to look at a situation critically, from many angles, and make an informed decision. We are also more likely to make the choice that is best for us and are confident enough to do that without feeling that we are letting others down, or confident enough to deal with the disappointment of others based on our choices.

Now go back to being a 16,17 and 18 year old. There is so much more going on here than what we know or remember. They are getting advice from so many people who may not agree with each other but may have that recruits respect. A high school coach tells them one thing, AAU coach another thing, family, friends, a girlfriend, the programs that are recruiting them etc. And that is just the basketball side of their life. How do you filter all of that? How do you just get past all of the other crap that teens focus on and place importance on? Its just not that easy.

thespywhozaggedme
03-19-2018, 11:26 AM

WCC vs PAC. Even though the PAC 12 is a laughingstock, it's still P5.

WyoZag
03-19-2018, 11:34 AM
Grad junior transfer

No, Spy. Brown was a senior this year. One year at Butler, two at New Mexico, and the last year at Oregon.

seacatfan
03-19-2018, 11:36 AM
The Pac12 was the worst of the three West Coast conferences this year

Well there are more than 3 conferences in the West. I'm assuming you mean WCC, Mountain West and Pac 12. Pac 12 flamed out in the Tourney while Gonzaga and Nevada are still alive. That is 1 team from those 2 leagues. There is NO WAY the WCC is a better league than the Pac 12, and never will be. Gonzaga at the top is as good or better than the Pac 12's best year to year. After that, St. Mary's I'm not really convinced. Beyond that the quality deteriorates quickly in the WCC and at the bottom is just garbage. Keep in mind lowly Washington St. (4-14 in conference, 11th place out of 12) BEAT SMC this year. The middle of the Pac 12 vs. the middle of the WCC is no comparison at all. A league is much more than just it's best team. Not sure exactly how the Mountain West breaks down vs. the WCC, but it's also not as good top to bottom as the Pac 12.

thespywhozaggedme
03-19-2018, 11:38 AM
No, Spy. Brown was a senior this year. One year at Butler, two at New Mexico, and the last year at Oregon.

Just going by ESPN, they have him listed as a junior:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/66158/elijah-brown

But you appear to be correct and ESPN isn't known for their reliability.

Zagdawg
03-19-2018, 11:39 AM
Probably meant in the dance--- only need to look at who is still dancing to figure that one out.

thespywhozaggedme
03-19-2018, 11:40 AM
Well there are more than 3 conferences in the West. I'm assuming you mean WCC, Mountain West and Pac 12. Pac 12 flamed out in the Tourney while Gonzaga and Nevada are still alive. That is 1 team from those 2 leagues. There is NO WAY the WCC is a better league than the Pac 12, and never will be. Gonzaga at the top is as good or better than the Pac 12's best year to year. After that, St. Mary's I'm not really convinced. Beyond that the quality deteriorates quickly in the WCC and at the bottom is just garbage. Keep in mind lowly Washington St. (4-14 in conference, 11th place out of 12) BEAT SMC this year. The middle of the Pac 12 vs. the middle of the WCC is no comparison at all. A league is much more than just it's best team. Not sure exactly how the Mountain West breaks down vs. the WCC, but it's also not as good top to bottom as the Pac 12.

Correct. Even though they embarrassed themselves in the tourney this year, the PAC is still the premier west coast conference. We just happen to be an outlier, as we're the best overall program on the west coast, but our conference sucks.