PDA

View Full Version : Awesome Gonzaga Bulletin Article About Tommy Lloyd

Zags_Fanatic
03-02-2018, 10:50 AM
“One of the great things about being at Gonzaga and working for coach Few is that you feel like an owner of the program,” Lloyd said. “I chose a long time ago to never live in hypotheticals, ‘Would I take this job or that job?’ I love this place, I’ve raised my family here, and so I have no reason to leave”

https://www.gonzagabulletin.com/sports/article_279e6e70-1d90-11e8-9688-9fb8a1f8dae6.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

zagdontzig
03-02-2018, 11:02 AM
Really special stuff. Love our culture.

Thanks for sharing.

strikenowhere
03-02-2018, 11:13 AM
That is actually reassuring.

sittingon50
03-02-2018, 12:22 PM
Thanks fanatic.

thespywhozaggedme
03-02-2018, 12:22 PM
he knows the job is his when Few retires. he is guaranteed the job of a perennial top 15 program.

TravelinZag
03-05-2018, 06:25 AM
Is GU interested in recruiting Tommy’s son, who plays for Gonzaga Prep? Depending on the university’s policies regarding children of staff, might not even require a scholarship. Displayed his talents in the Bullpups run to the state championship!

zag67
03-05-2018, 06:38 AM
Great article about a super person. Dedicating all of that travel time to keep improving the progam thanks

zagzilla
03-05-2018, 10:30 AM
Hope Tommy is patient. Few is young and "coach in waiting" could be waiting for 20 years.

Mike Hopkins finally got tired of waiting for Boeheim to step aside and went to UW where he has shown he was clearly ready for the HC job.

ZZ

caldwellzag
03-05-2018, 10:43 AM
https://www.gonzagabulletin.com/sports/article_279e6e70-1d90-11e8-9688-9fb8a1f8dae6.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

Great stuff! Thanks for sharing the link!

northsidezagfan
03-05-2018, 11:01 AM
That was awesome

rawkmandale
03-05-2018, 07:57 PM
This is as well written as many "national" stories. Gotta' love that Gonzaga education!

Birddog
03-05-2018, 08:01 PM
This is as well written as many "national" stories. Gotta' love that Gonzaga education!

I thought the same thing when i read it.

RenoZag
03-03-2019, 08:54 AM
Along with his accolades abroad, Lloyd has proven himself to be instrumental in attracting players transferring from some of the NCAA’s elite school’s like current Zags Johnathan Williams and Brandon Clarke or their predecessors Kyle Wiltjer, Nigel Williams-Goss and Jordan Mathews.

“Their past redshirt program is really what drove me to come here,” said Clarke, a redshirt junior transfer from San Jose State. “I had some parts of my game that I really had to tweak and fix and I knew coming here would be the right place to get those things fixed.”

Gonzaga is fortunate to have Coach Lloyd in the fold. His comments re: Mark Few, echo the sentiments expressed by Coach Daniels ( found in the post-game radio recap for the 3/2/19 SMC game )

willandi
03-03-2019, 09:41 AM
Hope Tommy is patient. Few is young and "coach in waiting" could be waiting for 20 years.

Mike Hopkins finally got tired of waiting for Boeheim to step aside and went to UW where he has shown he was clearly ready for the HC job.

ZZ

Seems like a matter of ego.
If you are happy with the life style, the earnings and the program, wanting to be the HC is not a given.
Many very successful people are happy to be the number 2.

He gets to travel the world recruiting and gets to be on the bench of one of the most successful programs in the NCAA. How much of that would change if he left? How much would change when he takes over?
No one knows the answers to those questions, but if he is content where he is, then good for him AND good for Gonzaga.

zagamatic
03-03-2019, 10:08 AM
If he's as smart as I think he is, then he realizes that it's not a single coach that makes a team a perennial powerhouse, it is in fact a TEAM OF COACHES. Could he go somewhere else and make a lot more money? Absolutely. Would that job likely come with a lot more headaches? More than likely (see UCLA). How long would it take him to assemble a coaching staff that could consistently recruit, train and coordinate a team to a high level? Possibly never (see Leon Rice and other past assistants who have taken HC jobs)
As for me, I wouldn't mess with success for sure. I can definitely relate to this in my own life as I currently work at a place where I feel at home. I don't make as much money as I have in the past. But I am so much less stressed, happier, have more free time that I wouldn't trade it for anything less than a great deal better in ALL of those same aspects.

CanadianZagsFan
03-03-2019, 11:07 AM
Wow.

RenoZag
03-03-2019, 11:31 AM
S-R has a feature this morning on Coach Lloyd following his son's game yesterday

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/mar/02/gonzagas-tommy-lloyd-finds-fulfillment-in-watching/?utm_email=02f4bddfa9&utm_medium=email&utm_source=The+Spokesman-Review+Newsletters&utm_campaign=cc230f6218-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_08_20_08_04_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_38e7a8f269-cc230f6218-82781231

Hours before the Bullpups claimed the golden ball in Tacoma, Lloyd compared the experience of watching his son win a potential title to riding on Gonzaga’s bench amid another historic season.

“Obviously it’s different when it’s your son, but you love these guys like your own kids, too, so when you’re watching your son you don’t have as much direct impact,” he said. “When you’re coaching the game, it’s hard to get emotional. When you’re watching your son play, the ebbs and flows are a little tougher.”

Corky
03-03-2019, 11:35 AM
There was a good article about Tommy in the Whitman magazine recently.

That would be an interesting place for the kid to go if he wants to play for a National Title. Becoming a powerhouse program.

Go Missionaries!

https://www.whitman.edu/newsroom/whitman-magazine/whitman-magazine-winter-2019/feature-stories/basketball-alumnus-assists-at-gonzaga

RenoZag
03-03-2019, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the link, Corky. I loved this quote:

Consistency, loyalty, patience — those are the huge keys in my profession, and I’m sure it’s the same for others. There’s a tendency for people when they are starting up to be more focused on climbing the ladder rather than developing their craft. I think they risk losing sight of doing great work at their current job, constantly searching for someplace else that looks better. That’s something I decided never to partake in. I’ve always felt that the job I had is the most important and deserves 100 percent of my focus. If other opportunities come out of that, they will be presented but I don’t necessarily need to pursue them.