PDA

View Full Version : 5:00 games

Gonezagaga
10-29-2007, 09:03 PM
Does anyone else here despise the 5:00 pm start time for weeknight games as much as I do. If you're not a blue blood and have to work for a living that means trying to get off work at 3:00, drive home, take a shower, round up the wife and kids and try to leave for the game by 4:00 so you don't have to park in Spangle. I think there are 4 such games this year and I will probably miss everyone of them.:mad:

former1dog
10-29-2007, 09:09 PM
Three words, my friend, will change your life forever.

Digital Video Recorder

gu03alum
10-29-2007, 09:21 PM
I like it. Now I don't have to go home after work for a half hour and turn around and head back to Spokane. Instead, I can go straight to the game after work.

Gonezagaga
10-29-2007, 09:25 PM
Oh, don't worry the games will be recorded, I would just like to be able to be there after paying for the tix. I didn't really like all of the 9:00 pm games last year, but at least I was able to go to them.

JLGutrocks
10-29-2007, 10:27 PM
C'mon guys.....where there's a will....there's a way. Is there a price on the best season ever?

Work will still be there tomorrow.

gonzagulous
10-30-2007, 05:00 AM
I'll take the 5 PM game time over 9 PM any time... but then again I'm two hours later here. It's pretty rough waiting until 11 PM to watch a basketball game.

omahazag
10-30-2007, 05:29 AM
Does anyone else here despise the 5:00 pm start time for weeknight games as much as I do. If you're not a blue blood and have to work for a living that means trying to get off work at 3:00, drive home, take a shower, round up the wife and kids and try to leave for the game by 4:00 so you don't have to park in Spangle. I think there are 4 such games this year and I will probably miss everyone of them.:mad:

NOPE. Love em' being out here...i do understand where you are coming from though....the late ESPN2 games during the regular season kill me.

finechina2003
10-30-2007, 05:41 AM
I like 5:00 p.m. - it is the dinner hour, our team will be hungry and we will eat up the competition!

gozagswoohoo
10-30-2007, 05:50 AM
I'll take the 5 PM game time over 9 PM any time... but then again I'm two hours later here. It's pretty rough waiting until 11 PM to watch a basketball game.

DING DING DING!

I gotta say, I feel sorry for you guys up erre in Spokane, but this is PERFECT for me down here in good ole Missoura...

7ICoug
10-30-2007, 05:58 AM
One thing about five o'clock games is that its prime time on the East Coast and those watching the ESPNU will like that. Frankly, its far better than the 9:00 games those are impossible for most kids, and midnight on the East Coast doesn't attract much of a national audience.

Little tough for work, but on Zag night all business ceases at 4:00 anyway :D

roxdoc
10-30-2007, 07:14 AM
Now if the majority of us could just get ESPNU:mad:

jbslicer
10-30-2007, 07:17 AM
Hey Gonezagaga, if you're not in your seats when Zombie Nation starts I'm moving up a row.

J-Lo
10-30-2007, 08:25 AM
I have to agree... on the west coast, a 5:00 start is going to be tough for a lot of people to make. I'm sure I'll be able to do it, but not everyone will be so lucky. And watching it on Tivo just isn't the same.

I really liked the 7:00 starts when I was a student: have a few beers after class, go over to the game, and still have a couple hours left in the night for... frivolity. But I'm sure GU is looking for that 8:00pm time slot for the East Coast markets (when it's broadcast there), or maybe the happy hour crowd.

BoltZag
10-30-2007, 08:37 AM
Does anyone else here despise the 5:00 pm start time for weeknight games as much as I do.

Apparently the author of this (http://guboards.com/showpost.php?p=99092&postcount=16) post agrees.

The WCC and GU are finally in a semi-primetime (think EST) slot and still there are complaints.

That being said...having our most important road game of the year tip at 9am really sucks.

zaguarxj
10-30-2007, 09:08 AM
Oh, don't worry the games will be recorded, I would just like to be able to be there after paying for the tix. I didn't really like all of the 9:00 pm games last year, but at least I was able to go to them.

Please give me a PM if you want to dispose of the tix for any of the 5:00pm games. I'll be happy to give you a fair deal. :o

BobZag
10-30-2007, 09:37 AM
I like 5:00 p.m. - it is the dinner hour, our team will be hungry and we will eat up the competition!

I love 5pm games. That means 8pm on the East Coast. Sweet. I think we only have three home games 8pm or later-- WSU @8pm, USF @9pm, SCU @8:30pm.

bartruff1
10-30-2007, 09:44 AM
I don't like those late games. I like to get up early to check the markets, to get the untracked snow , to get the best tee times or the best flyfishing holes. That way I can get home in time to have a nap and see the game and get to bed at a decent hour. Go Zags:D

Section 116
10-30-2007, 03:28 PM
I am among those who prefer the 5pm start to those wretched 9pm games. My wife actually checks out the home start times and signs up for vacation before the season even starts just to make sure she gets to the games on time. Luckily for her she works about 5 minutes from the MAC. I am off work early enough to make it easily to the 5pm games. The downside for me is having to rise at 4:30am to get to work and that makes for a short night with a 9pm tip.

ZagnetitForce
10-30-2007, 03:33 PM
The 9:00 games made it so I couldn't take my 9 year old son as well as that is way too late for a school night. So, this will open more game opportunities for him and I think that is great!

It's all perspective, and I do understand the other sides as well.

Gonezagaga
10-30-2007, 05:19 PM
Looks like I'm in the minority on this issue. I guess I'll just have to ask my boss if I can park my UPS truck in the Zag's parking lot and bring it back when the game is over.:explode:

bartruff1
10-31-2007, 08:57 AM
We had to walk 20 miles in 4' of snow and 50 mph winds uphill in both directions to the Colseum from Desmet Hall hopeing that Burgess could make enough baskets (no three pointers) to beat Whitworth ....or to see Elgin Baylor beat the bejuses out of the Bulldogs...I spend 40 years trying to hear games over the radio (yes we had AM) and now I can sit by the fire in my ski cabin and watch the Zags beatthepiss out of North Carolina....you have nothing to complain about and having lived long enough to see this, neither do I...

LongIslandZagFan
10-31-2007, 11:16 AM
9:00 pm games are the WORST!!!!! Midnight starts for me are just deadly on this coast. 5:00 are perfect as they fall right in the heart of prime time. :D

But for you guys... I'd be willing to accept a 6:00pm pacific start. :p

ZagMD
10-31-2007, 11:32 AM
The only downside I can see to the 5:00 pm time (Pacific time, TV watching fan) is that it doesn’t allow a lot of time to properly prepare. I enjoy the games more when I can establish a nice “base” and maintain it throughout the game. That said, I can’t think of a better reason to leave work early. A nice bonus might be seeing more highlights on Sportscenter.

gonzagulous
10-31-2007, 12:00 PM
I enjoy the games more when I can establish a nice “base” and maintain it throughout the game.

Are we talking alcohol consumption here? Cheers to that, Doc :D

lawzag
10-31-2007, 12:05 PM
well MD, I think you just need to leave work earlier so you can get your "base" goin' :D

that's what I plan to do!

ZagMD
10-31-2007, 12:30 PM
Gonz - Yes, I was referring liquid refreshments, with a preference for ice cold cheap beer in a can (unless I’m at a friends house, then I reach for the most expensive bottle of beer I can find in the fridge). Might have to look into a couple of boilermakers to start those 5:00 pm games. And leaving work early won’t be a problem, as my productivity is pretty much worthless on gamedays anyway.
(BTW, my handle is my initials, not an indication of my profession…)